• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

People who just want to see pretty colors

although i agree with you on the TV thing, because i am the same way, i would like to share what i have learned tripping with people. The experiences on drugs often contain a mixed media of sensations - colors or sounds that correspond with certain feelings or concepts. people like you and i have naturally intellectual and active minds. and while this has great value - it seems to be the "meat" of the experience, i've found that for most people its really distracting. i've also learned that its distracting for me. to immediately verbalize and make a feeble attempt at communicating a personal insight usually kinda takes one out of the flow. the visuals and patterns and corresponding sensations are really the peak of a psychedelic experience. now if you have an intellect to match it, once you come down you can analyze what you've experienced and derive and discuss insights and concepts. but don't underestimate people who just "like to see the colors" because in a way, thats even more real than all the words in the world trying to describe what "red" is like. i've found that people without such a strong intellect are often easily distracted by things like t.v., but are also more able to go with the flow and not have to understand everything in logical or philosophical terms. i've found that people with a fast and powerful intellect tend to get the most knowledge out of the experience, but also run into a lot of game-playing with people. of course this is something to learn from, but do you realize when you look down on another's way of enjoying life, your no longer perceiving clearly but through an ego-centric perception?

i think that people who don't think so much have less trouble transcending their ego, but once they come down they don't even realize what happened.

people who think too much usually acknowledge and appreciate transcendence, but often have a harder time accepting whats happening.

i guess i'm saying, if your friends aren't getting into it the way you do, then don't mind them and do your own thing for a while. refine the ideas and present them in a more profound, meaningful way. a lot of people just get confused and anxious when they start hearing all this deep wordy stuff. and if you think T.V. is a poor form of entertainment, then, with love, you become the entertainment! sing a song, paint a picture, juggle, whatever. and if you want to go outside, why don't you go outside? its pointless to wait for others and have expectations of an experience that doesn't really belong to YOU because in the psychedelic state, YOU is no longer the solid individual you once thought, but instead YOU are whatever you happen to experience - whether a thought, sensation, sight, sound or emotion. one of my most shattering early experiences was when my foot melted into orange juice. i could taste it! all i could think was "orange juice" and thats what i was. and i'd argue tahts all we ever are.

o and about T.V., i agree its a waste of time while your all lit up... but just a bunch of pixels? do you realize how profound that is? the television screen is a method of creating realities and communicating them at the speed of light, literally. think about it. information technology, with all its pros and cons, is tripped out. watch "live at pompei" by pink floyd when your high and you'll change your mind. all im saying is that your belief that T.V. is petty technology is simply what YOU think, and there are a million other ways to think about it, including just watching it.

im not trying to put you down, im speaking purely from my own experience getting tripped out with friends, some who were more into the head trip, others who just wanted to have fun. i was always really into the head trip, and when others weren't i used to get all high and mighty, thinking i knew the "right way" to do this. it becomes spiritual selfishness. and the real lessons that have stuck with me always came when i was so high that the visuals and emotions were so strong that i couldn't speak or even really move. once i stopped imposing my game, my trip on the experience, thats when true insight would come. we think of insight as ideas, but the word is In-Sight, looking within. and when you look within you see that all of this stuff your learning really has to do with something soooo much bigger than yourself. then afterwards, draw your conclusions for your fellow psychonauts to read on bluelight.

I love taking psychedelics for a variety of reasons...I like taking them with friends and discussing the wonder of the universe, World Doom™, the universe of the self, and of course just having a good laugh at everything or nothing... I like to take psychedelics alone and get lost in introspection (and music :D), and I absolutely love the visual fireworks that tend to go along with these journeys. Sometimes they take over, sometimes they are subtle. You never know what kind of trip you're gonna have when you take a psychedelic, which is another reason why I love it!

As for T.V & tripping, T.V annoys the hell out of me. I do not watch T.V in my sober life, so I don't watch it while I'm tripping. I don't doubt that y'all have a good time and gain insight from it though, just not my cup o' tea!

God tripping really is the best.
It makes you open your mind to different ways of thought. Helps you realize whats important in life and what your priorities are. And can bring you extremely close with some of your closest friends. Lifes what you make it out to be, life's a trip.

QFT man. That's perfect... although the whole getting closer with your closest friends, can't say I talk too much when tripping, it's too mental for me :D

TV takes so much away from tripping, it just kills it for me. The other night when I was on 2C-I my friend put a movie on and after I left due to boredom it was really hard to get my previous mindset back. Anything that isnt natural apart from electronic music is a no-no for me on psychedelics, everything natural brings an amazing vibe and feels as though it were "meant to be"

whenever im sitting in someone's basement watching tv or something when im tripping i ALWAYS go into a ridiculous "why am i wasting my time in a basement" thought loop.. you gotta explore and appreciate all the natural beauty right in front of you

Excellent post there man. I think that really made a lot of sense. My oly thing is, I don't think its a question of intellect, but awareness. Some people seem less self-aware then others, thus they don't react as strongly to what is happening to themselves. In truth, the "less aware" might even be mre intelligent, as they can choose easier what to discard and what to take to heart. When I look back on some of the things I have deeply contemplated, I wonder why I bothered. Such as, what is reality? That question used to plague me, until I realised its of absolutely no concern; it CANNOT be answered, as it isn't really a question. These days, I tend to just try and accept things as they appear, and not constantly evalutae, analyse, extract meaning from etc.

Ive been there and done that with the heavy, introspective journeys...I just wanna relax, have fun, and explore outer space (that which is not in my head...which is?)

People take drugs for different reasons and you're going to berate them for it? Soon enough you're going to be saying what kind of music is acceptable when on certain drugs, what kind of foods one should eat, what kinds of places they should go, etc.

It's their drugs and their experience, let them do as they please. Don't act so elitist because your motives for taking drugs is more "meaningful" than others. That's bullshit.

I appreciate all aspects of the experience, including visuals and including admiring art or projections, but wow, cartoons?

have you seen the nine lives of fritz the cat??
its a pretty mindblowing cartoon to watch on any drug - on the other hand, to watch on acid, is completely twisted. combining the drug and the movie is like creating some sort of new intense drug.
we have watched parts of it while tripping but it has always been way too much to handle.. a few weeks ago we dosed up and watched the entire thing, and when it finished we were destroyed for about a further 8 hours - getting intense waves of audio and visual hallucinations.
i think the movie was made for trippers back in the 1970's
you should watch it ;)

Just a side note...

One of the most insightful experiences of my life was when I finally achieved visuals that could not be distinguished from waking reality. When you see 3d people walking around that no one else can see, or say the floral print on a pillow raise up and beckon you to come lay down... well.. that's a challenging experience isn't it? What is "real?" Is it real cause you can see it? Is it real because you can touch it? Taste it? Hear it? Is it real because you didn't take any drugs before you experienced it? Is it not real if you did? Pretty deep questions invoked by visuals, wouldn't you say? Pretty colors. ;)

^^Everything you said there is valid. IMO. Reality is everything. There is nothing that doesnt exist unless its something that has never entered the thoughts of a human being.

^^ I don't even worry about what's "real" anymore. I am awareness, and I know nothing outside what I experience. That's reality to me. ;)

I'm not trying to hijack this into a reality debate though... but maybe it already is one. Which is the more "real" or "profound" experience? The mind high or the visuals? I was just stating that what I SAW prompted me to change my entire world view... and what can be more profound than that? Sometimes pretty colors can mean more than volumes of philosophical debate. It all depends on how you LOOK at it... and isn't that what the psychedelic experience is about anyways? Changing the way you LOOK at things, be it literally visual or figuratively, in order to explore new experiences? We all do it our own way, but that's how /I/ approach it.

Last edited:
I admit to being a bit of a "lookit da colourz lololololz" kind of tripper...because let's face it, the "pretty colours" on psychedelics are, well, awesome. And mushrooms, at least, make me giggly as all fuck.

LSD tends to make me more introspective and in the mood to talk about the works of Albert Camus and such, but even still, it's always nice to have parts of the trip that are light-hearted and focused on enjoying the more visual aspects of the trip.

And I don't feel that wanting to enjoy the pretty colours is nessesarily a stupid way to trip. For me, at least, I've noticed that it helps me see familiar and/or mundane things in a slightly different light. My home town is a very naturally beautiful place, which I never really appreciated because, well, I grew up here and it's pretty normal to take familiar things for granted. But after being driven around it on mushrooms, it finally hit me how truly beautiful this place is on a deeper level than just "Dude that tree has rainbows in it, man!"

As for television...I find that my attention span is too short to really enjoy television on most drugs. It looks kind of cool for a little while, but then I get bored and want to go to the giant playground and climb on shit.

Though, I will say, watching the HBO show Carnivale on DXM was amazing. Something about the colour palatte and the utter weirdness of the show as a whole just really lent itself to being watched and appreciated on relatively low doses of DXM. Can't even really explain why it was so cool, but it was.

It depends on the chemical/dosage level, deciding what kind of trip i'm looking for, agreed LSD is a very unique chemical that produces some awesome thought processes to take place and great for exploration of many aspects of life. Good discussion material dose dependent obviously as at 300+ug I highly doubt your thoughts would be organized enough. However I always find it more enjoyable to go outside and explore my immediate world and sometimes even the public world then sit inside and watch cartoons!!!

However taking a psychedelic for its perceptual effects is not only ok but often much more enjoyable then taking full blown psychedelic doses!!! On 2CB for instance one is not usual looking for a full blown psychedelic meltdown as dosages that high also have strong body effects that can become uncomfortable and toxic feeling. I find low doses of chemicals far more superior to high doses now i've had a good number of bad trips on high doses so that could be shifting my opinion alot but i've never had a really bad trip on phenethylamines just a few rough comeups. Its the tryptamines that I find unsuitable for high dose exploration and low dose exploration lacks something therefore not a big fan of them. Then again you can't go too high on phens either but enough to disolve reality alittle.

Now there is exceptions to my opinion as I find DMT/DPT to be suitable to full effects as when consumed they remove you from yourself almost instantly and therefore you don't have time to panic. I find this to make the experience generaly ok I would'nt say pleasant but its an experience for sure. Not a recreational chemical there for sure but good for acheiving those mind blowing ego dissolving trips but with safety. Now LSD is in a class of its own I believe cause it can be good at really low doses and just or even better at higher doses!!!

One last thing though LSD to me is still inferior due to the toxic chemical feeling I get from it even at low doses. Very hard material as well and alot of shifting between heavenly effects and hellish effects which is not ok to me. If you could take away the dark side of it then it would be absolute and any further exploration for other chemicals would be mute!!!

I feel the opposite way!

I don't really like the way hallucinogens affect my thinking. If there was a drug that was purely about visuals and didn't affect my consciousness, I'd be on it in a flash.

To each their own, I guess.

woah o oh oh oah visuals are a side effect imo. their great, a reminder that all is illusion, but other than their symbolic refrences and ability to communicate (reflect) your conssciouness to "you" their not the meat of the experience

I feel the opposite way!

I don't really like the way hallucinogens affect my thinking. If there was a drug that was purely about visuals and didn't affect my consciousness, I'd be on it in a flash.

To each their own, I guess.

2CB is the closest you'll get to that I believe, it is very clear headed so if you have'nt tried it then its the way to go!!!

This is sort of a rant. I just don't understand those that trip solely for the perceptual effects. I dosed LSD with a friend the other night and started talking about society, life, and all that good stuff and he was just like, "shut up I don't want to hear that, I just want to laugh at stupid things on the TV".

Maybe it's just me, but once I'm tripping, it's almost as if the visuals are just a side effect that I have to put up with to experience the real mind-blowing effects of LSD or other psychedelics. When someone asks me what I see, it seems to be a stupid question. What I see doesn't matter-- it's what I feel and what I intuit. THAT is what matters.

And the whole TV thing. How can anyone watch TV while tripping balls? When I trip, I see the TV for what it is: a light projector that projects tiny pixels on a screen. Who wants to watch that stupid boxed-in psuedo-reality generator? Let's explore! Let's go outside! Let's... do anything but watch TV. What do you think?

I hear ya. TV can be funny as fuck, but I get bored with it really easily when trippin.

(basing this on a trip I had once...)
What's worse is a group of trippers that wants to conversate the entire time like it's a normal fucking day. I'm all for the talking, but let's talk about something deep, or hear someone try to explain something funny that happened. I do NOT want to hear "OMG I'm tripping are you tripping" eight zillion times from some annoying ass girls, nor do I want the group to try to maintain every sense of normality. Just let it go and learn to be your tripping self. Who is (obviously) much different and hopefully less egotistical and more introsepctive than your everyday self. I don't like tripping with people who can't let go of their egos. To me that's worse than someone who just wants to see da pretty colors.

2CB is the closest you'll get to that I believe, it is very clear headed so if you have'nt tried it then its the way to go!!!

I found it a long way from clear-headed myself. Sent me completely out of body a couple of times, I was talking to people and animals in faraway places (I particularly remember being in a desert chatting with a nomadic tribe and flying over the Andes) and was probably about as out of it as I've ever been on any trip. Was great fun, although took no prisoners in terms of intensity. For me and my ladyfriend at least. Incidentally, she was also interacting with these very same people and animals - as soon as one of us would "meet" something the other got all excited and seemed to see it too - almost felt telepathic. Odd indeed. But in a good way :).

This does seem to be a rather unusual thing though as most folks seem to find it very mild. Many other people used the same batch of it and got none of those effects, so I'm not sure if it was some peculiar reaction that me and ladyfriend had or quite what happened. Also the come-up was horrid - pure anxiety and paranoia until suddenly being wrenched off to exotic lands.

No idea why it hit us so hard, but it most certainly did. Maybe I'm just lucky like that :D.

PS: As to dose, can't be too sure as this was when 2C-B pills were all over the UK last year. They apparently varied quite a bit in strength - from around 12mg to 25mg per pill. We only took one each so even at the top end that's hardly an epic dose. Pretty sure it was what it said it was too cos they were widespread across the country and I didn't hear of any that contained anything active other than 2C-B. A good example of YMMV if ever I saw one :D.

I think reaching the state of pure synaesthesia is immensely "enjoyable"- when visual hallucinations are totally linked with mind warping thoughts, every image sets of a train of thoughts which are themselves images which may manifest as warpings of the 3D reality, which in turn elicits further thought-warping which in turn leads to more hallucinating....a real peak experience; there is no difference between pretty colours and illuminated thinking. IMO.