• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

People want to be their own gods. Is that good or evil?

Gnostic Bishop

Bluelighter
People want to be their own gods. Is that good or evil?

The real Original Sin, then and today, to most Christians, is based on this quote.

“For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Gen. 3:5).

Jesus seems to have wanted this to happen, as that would make us his brethren.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught and that Gnostic Christians have embraced.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail.

If Jesus wants us to know of good and evil, as a prerequisite to being born again as his brethren, it goes well with Jesus’ prediction as quoted above.

That may be why Christians sing that Adam’s sin was a happy fault and necessary to god’s plan.

I am not a literal reader of this myth, but this seems to make sense. It follows then that it makes sense for Adam to ignore Yahweh’s command not to gain an education.

Thoughts?

Regards
DL

The kabbalah confirms relationship of man and God.

Yes. It says that we are gods.

Strange that half the Jews and all the Christians and Muslims negated that relationship by idol worship instead of idol seeking, the way intelligent people do.

Christianity simplified a complex search and Islam went even more simple.

Some would say to the point of keeping the sheeple stupid.

Note how complicated and inwards focused Kabbala is.

It may be second best only to Gnostic Christianity.

I prefer most of the older myths from the Jews and Egypt. They are a lot more moral than the Christian and Muslim versions of the old myths.

Regards
DL

Im my point of view its neutral. People pick other people as their gods too and thats quite something. Its better to be your own god than to have some other human as your god I guess.

That is how Gnostic Christians do it.

We recognize that all thinking systems and ideologies and gods are all man made.

We are all ending in following a person's thinking and not some supernatural absentee god's.

Regards
DL

The mystery religions have always been concealed. I used to practice Gnostic Christianity.

The mystery religions have always been concealed. I used to practice Gnostic Christianity.

Hidding in plain sight.

How can/do you stop?

Gnostic Christianity is a way of thinking freely so as to be able to evaluate things as honestly as possible, based on what can be known.

How can a mind stop doing what it does naturally?

Regards
DL

The path to spiritual enlightenment is not a steady incline. It has undulations that bring the individual higher eventually, but there are at the very least minor crests and dips in the path

Perhaps, but one you are on Jacob's ladder, if I might use that analogy, once one climbs a step, his foot might waver up and down and lay back to the step, but I don't see anyone taking a step back down.

Regards
DL

Everyone walks their own path though life, I cannot speak for another personas actions or words.

I am not sure if I agree. It would depend on the action and the words. I can think of many situations that might be exceptions to this.

A quick and stupid example would be walking past a man punishing his innocent child while letting the guilty one just watch. The only reason that example coes to mind is that I have it in an argument against substitutional punishment. A Christian forte.

What are your thoughts on this.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Regards
DL

Hidding in plain sight.

How can/do you stop?

Gnostic Christianity is a way of thinking freely so as to be able to evaluate things as honestly as possible, based on what can be known.

How can a mind stop doing what it does naturally?

Regards
DL

If you had actually done any real research you would know that there are Christian churches, sects of Christianity, and other religions and spiritualities that do not take the Bible/Torah/Talmud or whatever religious or spiritual text completely literal, and they have been instrumental in giving LGBT people and women rights and have been promoting LGBT rights, women's rights, and human rights for longer than you have been alive. They are not and never were the gnostic Christian churches in the Levant or middle east, or northern Africa, and the modern day faux Gnostic cult groups in Europe and the cult in Los Angeles do not promote LGBT rights, or human rights either.

If you had actually done any real research you would know that there are Christian churches, sects of Christianity, and other religions and spiritualities that do not take the Bible/Torah/Talmud or whatever religious or spiritual text completely literal, and they have been instrumental in giving LGBT people and women rights and have been promoting LGBT rights, women's rights, and human rights for longer than you have been alive. They are not and never were the gnostic Christian churches in the Levant or middle east, or northern Africa, and the modern day faux Gnostic cult groups in Europe and the cult in Los Angeles do not promote LGBT rights, or human rights either.

Leave it to you to try to start a fight here. Sigh. What a dumb child.

As a universalist religion, Gnostic Christianity did not persecute gays for 2,000 years, completely against Jesus' teachings, which you do not practice as your loving preamble shows. You do not love your neighbor or you would not begin a conversation with an insult.

Stop telling your women to shut the hell up in church and not to dare teach men anything. Don't forget to tell them that men are to rule over them and that they cannot dare think they have souls and persons equal to men's.

Regards
DL

Leave it to you to try to start a fight here. Sigh. What a dumb child.

As a universalist religion, Gnostic Christianity did not persecute gays for 2,000 years, completely against Jesus' teachings, which you do not practice as your loving preamble shows. You do not love your neighbor or you would not begin a conversation with an insult.

Stop telling your women to shut the hell up in church and not to dare teach men anything. Don't forget to tell them that men are to rule over them and that they cannot dare think they have souls and persons equal to men's.

Regards
DL
I was replying to your replies to me, as the other thread was closed as you started your usual trolling and spreading of false information as usual. You are the only one being childish and vindictive when told something you do not want to accept.

"homosexuality, bisexuality,' being gay or bisexual, or heterosexual or other sexual orientations were not a concept that existed at the time, but Gnostics were as against non-procreative sex as any other christian sect was, for the most part. It is not as though they were the Ancient Greeks or Ancient Romans and not even all Ancient Greek or Ancient Roman city states all accepted what we would consider bisexuality or homosexuality today in 2020. Women who were gnostics did not fare any better centuries ago.

Gnosticism was essentially an early attempt (or really, multiple attempts) to unify Hellenistic middle- and neo-platonism with Christianity to form a coherent theology/philosophy. Ultimately the mainstream Christian church rejected many of the platonic concepts and went with a much simpler conception of the divine. You'll note that most of our sources for it came from Egypt, which is because places like Alexandria had huge and influential philosophical schools where they taught Greek philosophy, as well as large populations of Jews and Early Christians, and there was a lot of cross-pollination of ideas.

You know absolutely nothing about me so cool it with the trolling and attacks. I do not like or belong to a major or organised church for one thing, and the churches, and temples I have been to were instrumental in fighting for LGBT rights, women's and human rights for longer than you have been alive.

It is not so clearly divided, except to you, and people can be Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. and for LGBT rights, women's rights, and human rights.

Last edited:
spreading of false information

Such as?

"homosexuality, bisexuality,' being gay or bisexual, or heterosexual or other sexual orientations were not a concept that existed at the time, but Gnostics were as against non-procreative sex as any other Christian sect was,

Really? How poorly informed you are. You forget that the first thing the Christian Temple preachers did was stock it with Temple Prostitutes. A well respected group of women and gay men.

I bet you do not even know of your religions acceptance of gays. For your files.

Women who were gnostics did not fare any better centuries ago.

Again you show that you are speaking from ignorance of the facts.

Christianity did not allow women to preach. Gnostic Christian, believing in equality of the sexes and, had women priests etc.

Ultimately the mainstream Christian church rejected many of the platonic concepts and went with a much simpler conception of the divine

Yes. It went to a KISS to keep the masses stupid. It is also why they murdered so many who they saw as trying to educate themselves by reading the bible.

You seem to frequent the more left wing Christian churches. Good.

Take the next step to enlightenment and go Gnostic Christian and become one of the good Christians.

Regards
DL

I think it's evil when people want others to be their gods, so they may worship and idolize them

I don't see anything wrong with worshiping nature. Praising humans seems pointless though. I don't see what the motivation would be and it's destructive to society, which is important. If people can't be harmonious at least they should prevent such violent acts in the name of some local hero

1 ---I don't see anything wrong with worshiping nature.

2 --- Praising humans seems pointless though.

3 ---I don't see what the motivation would be and it's destructive to society, which is important. If people can't be harmonious at least they should prevent such violent acts in the name of some local hero

1 - One worships an ideal. Nature is an evolving process and should not be seen as a static ideal. I prefer the term (respect).
That should be all we need to prevenbt us from destroying our eco system the way we are doing.

In Gnostic Christianity, we stay away from idol worship and remain perpetual seekers of a ever evolving ideal for god and for nature.

If we idol worshiped a field, for instance, we would not plow it. Better to just respect the land as we use it so as not to abuse it.

2 - I disagree. We praise our children and workers all the time. It is a reward for a job well done. Such should always be acknowledged. When you see a well done post, I hope you give a like the way I do.

3 - As evolving creatures, we have our fittest. They should and must be acknowledged otherwise we would be led by the less fit and that would weaken us all.

I have not agreed with you much here.
Don't get mad.
Get even with a rebuttal that will make me think, or better still, change my mind and give me the pleasure of learning something new.

Regards
DL

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wasn't thinking in those terms

I think it's morally wrong to adhere to dogma and worship heroes. To sum it up

- Lance