Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Penthrox(Methoxyflurane) Green Whistle inhaler

sonic_reality

Bluelighter
Ol mate recently came across some 3ml Methoxyflurane inhalers, manufactured under the name Penthrox. otherwise known to the average joe as the green whistle sticks that the ambulance give you when you break a bone, or are generally in a shitload of pain and need immediate relief when in transit to the hospital.

I've done some research on them, but haven't really been able to find any decent reports on its recreational value. Most reports are by people who have been administered/given it by the ambos when in transit to the hospital. I am more looking for any reports by people who have taken it recreationally, as opposed to using it for pain relief. I'm interested to know it's effects, duration etc. I dunno, I would assume it to maybe last a bit longer in an uninjured person?! It'd be good to hear from people who have used it(recreationally, and when administered by ambos) so that I know what I can expect. I've done research into the possible dangers, toxitcity etc, but yeh, I haven't really found any decent reports on it's effects!

Mods sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I thought I'd have better luck here than anywhere else, as it is only manufactured and used for medical purposes in Australia and New Zealand. From what I have read, we are the only countries in the world that use them. I understand if you move this thread, but yeh, I think AusDD is probably the best place to get actual reports on it's effects!

Thanks in advance. I'll probably be getting it in the next week or so, so I'll also let youse know how I go. but if possible i was keen to hear any reports before using it myself!

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=4914064

Found this thread in the archives. Hehe funnily enough I posted in this thread in response to someone saying it was pethadine, as I had been given pethadine before for migraines! But yeh, I am still more looking for info from someone who has used it recreationally, not as pain relief. I would assume the effects would possibly be stronger, as your body is not in a state of shock like it is with broken bones etc. But I do not know this for sure, hence my curiosity!

Well, judging from friends stories who have been administered them by the ambos, they do have some sort of recreational value, given the fact that they supposedly make you feel incredible. Whether or not that feeling is purely relief from not feeling extreme pain almost instantly, I am not sure. Which is why I was interested to hear if anyone has had it recreationally, and want to know what it is like.

After doing a bit more research last nite, I am gonna have to have a good think about if I want to try it. Surely there has to be a good reason why it isn't used anymore around the world, except Australia and New Zealand!?! Some pretty bad side effects listed, like kidney and renal problems. But many prescription drugs I have used in the past have lots of bad side effects listed(heh like heart failure etc), so I'm still unsure of how I feel about the listed side effects for Methoxyflurane. Which is why I would really appreciate any further input and information about it from the bluelight massive, as I trust your knowledge!

So yeh, still keen to hear from anyone who has had them 'recreationally', and how that went for you?! Also keen for any more info on the side effects, and why it was discontinued in so many countries, and also why Australia and New Zealand still use them?! I know the Army uses them too. Is there any chemist buffs out there that can share their knowledge?!

Only use methoxyflurane in conscious, haemodynamically stable patients.
Methoxyflurane is nephrotoxic at high doses:
— do not exceed maximum doses — 6mL per day or 15mL per week
— do not use on consecutive days.

Nephrotoxic = damages kidneys

Its A non-opioid alternative to morphine, it is also easier to use than nitrous oxide in emergency situations, and stops opioid addicts calling ambos to rob them of drugs (remember the h epidemic). And it has a not too long, but not too short duration, perfect for just getting patient to hosptial, only 1 whistle usually required, and once they are at hosptial they get opiates. Its self adminstering, meaning patient can use as much to remove discomfort but they wont be able to completely eliminate pain. (why they still use it)

At higher doses it will knock you out (anesthetic) but discontinued world wide due to kidney & liver problems, at lower doses it gives pain relief (analgesic) action. so the only possible use I can see with it, is how you would use nangs, say be high on something, then take a few tokes of the whisle n see what happens. but really other than that it has no real use

Last edited:
Would be interesting to hear from someone who had tried these, and had also tried ether and could compare the two? I would think at least some of the euphoria would come from the fact you're given them when in considerable trauma/shock and the relief of sudden analgesia they give?

If anyone gets ahold of these and is tempted to take some recreationally please go and read the section on the wikiepdia article on liver and kidney toxicity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxyflurane

Edit: grugz beat me to it :)

Penthranes value as a recreational drug depends largely on the person and what they like. It is essentially a dissassociative, a big lungfull wil make you extremely intoxicated for a brief period and allow paramedics to move an injured patient without them fully experiencing the pain. It's more usefull in combination with morphine for analgesia, on it's own it usually just seems to distract them. It lasts a very short time and leaves you with a headache, but some people really do seem to enjoy it (particularly children), others hate it. For greater impact cover the hole with tape and breath deeply through the whistle with every breath.

I hope you didn't steal it from the ambos, there tends to be quite a fuss made about it and a large amount of paperwork that needs doing.

A user reported a post in this thread (possibly as a mistake instead of hitting the reply button, or possibly because they want to stay anonymous) and included the following info. I thought it fairly interesting so thought I'd pass it on:

When used intermittently, Penthrox can last up to 2 hours with a 3 ml dose, 4 hours with a subsequent 3 ml dose. Penthrox was included in the PBS in 2010 as part of the Doctor's Bag and is used widely by soprting clubs and in dentistry, cosmetic surgery, burns treatment and podiatry.

Penthrox is used in a number of countries outside Australia & New Zealand, mainly in the Middle East and Easter Europe. The limited distribution is due to a limited dossier, which doesn't meet regulatory requirements in major countries. However, it does have a NATO number allowing is to be used by a number of armed forces.

To correct this situation, the manufacturer Medical Developments International ( an listed Australian Co Code: MVP) is undertaking trials in the UK with a view to regulatory approval witin Europe.

Penthrox is unlikely to receive approval in the US, where it was previously approved as an anaesthetic, but withdrawn due to the potential for liver damage with prolonged use. However a form of Penthrox (Anafane) has been reguistered by the FDA for veterinary use.

I hope you didn't steal it from the ambos, there tends to be quite a fuss made about it and a large amount of paperwork that needs doing.

Na mate, I don't steal(drugs or anything else), especially not from ambos. Sourced thru a mate that has an 'interesting' contact for prescription drugs. Probs best not to talk about it on here, but i can say that it hasn't been stolen from an ambo or anyone else!

Cheers for the info guys... I'll prob hang onto it and make a decision on whether or not to have it at a later date. Hehe I usually hurt myself at least once a month(not to the extreme of broken bones tho), so I mite just save it for a time when it can provide me with some brief pain relief!

@belarki that was from some website, I read that too.

Lol sonic do u hurt yourself while under the influence or just a clumsy person?

Never liked the look of this one. A dentist once offered this to me as a replacement for N2O. I chose to go without anesthetic for that work.

220px-Methoxyflurane.svg.png

Methoxyflurane

shoulda tried it, it gives a lil feeling like oxy, u know its painful but its not

I've encounted these little buggers many times!

I play a lot of sport. And from time to time I seem to end up injured. Over the past 6 seasons I've dislocated my shoulder 4 times and broken my nose once. In 3 of the dislocations I can remember being given one of these whistles. Aside from tasting like shit, they're not 'fun' and I couldnt really see an upside of using them recreationally. It doesn't really numb the pain; Well I mean, it does, but it doesn't. Hard to explain. Personally I found it more to be a distraction from the pain rather than a stop to it.

I felt kind 'floaty' and light headed, but not 'off my face' I was still sober, but just a little light in the head department. My right shoulder felt sort of tingle-y, but it still hurt like all fuck.

Meh. Some people may find fun in the green whistles, but I certainly didn't.

I'm with Slain, didn't feel like fun to me. It was enough to make me float away a bit (enough to not remember the ambulance ride at all) where the nitrous had no effect at all, but the second they tried to move me in hospital I was right back in screaming land. Only the morphine fixed that :)

To me it had similar effect to nitrous (which I also don't find enjoyable) but was stronger - ie in this case it still worked a bit when the nos was not touching the pain at all.

Seen my missus use one while getting loaded into an ambo, she said it was great and seemed pretty euphoric at the time.

I know another bloke that has used them a few times said they were enjoyable.

And i once seen a skater on that "Bondi Rescue" show go from extreme pain to laughing like he'd had to many drinks while sucking on a whistle.

Its hard to believe they have no recreational value.
Except for my mate who wasnt hurt said they were good, other people were in serious pain, going from serious pain to relief might help with that happy feeling.

To me it had similar effect to nitrous (which I also don't find enjoyable) but was stronger - ie in this case it still worked a bit when the nos was not touching the pain at all.

In dentistry they are sometimes offered as an alternative to nitrous.

From when my knee locked up, my whole skin went pale and I could tell I had a lot of pain ahead.
The paramedics gave me one of these, it ended up with me, taking a deep inhale (It was VERY thick and wet gas) and held it in, and as I exhaled I slowly relaxed and collapsed into the beanbag behind me, pain quickly subsided.

Felt GREAT, and all of my family who was around were laughing their heads off about how dozed out I was (they don't know of my drug use, and they have all been previous drug users)

Then, when the full body spazms of pain came, I found I had to really suck that mother fucking thing for help, I'd by screaming and crying with uncontrollable muscle contractions, and would end up SCREAMING then breathing that shit like crazy, giggling about how weird the noises I made were, then repeating the same thing until I got the morphine in the ambulance.

Overall, I found it really relaxing.
Great releife from pain.
Very thick when closing the hole fully over with your finger, found it kind of hard to adjust too at the beginning.

This was a year or 2 ago, but that's what I can remember.
I always thought it was nitrous oxide, but when asking in the Nang thead Mr Blonde informed me
"^ No, the whistle contains methoxyflurane."

So yeah, came here to post some info someone might find helpful one day.

EDIT: I also LOVED the taste, covering the air-hole on the green whistle made the concentration of gas/air stronger and thicker.
I used the green whilst inconjuction with morphine until I arrived at the hospital and was loaded with 20mg morphine.
Morphine was meh.

I can't believe they threw them in prison for something so petty! What a shitty way to treat the people serving your country. :|