• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC PC Gamers - Whatcha playin?

After been such a huge fan of the first game I picked up Dishonored 2 the other day.

I waited a week or so since Bethesda now has a ridiculous policy on no advance copies for press/user reviews. Which mean's I had to wait for people who bought the game to comment, and it's been quite a shitshow to be honest. The game itself looks and feels incredible, but the performance is total garbage. It is possibly one of the worst optimised AAA titles I've seen in a while. Where DOOM got everything right, Dishonored 2 got everything wrong.. as I understand it runs on a modified version of the old iD tech 5 engine which has been notoriously frustrating performance wise.

Bethesda went into damage control and released two patches to address performance issues but even still, people with top of the line systems are still struggling to reach 60fps.

I think I'm gonna go back to overclocking my card and seeing if it helps with the framerate at all, though I suspect it's an internal issue with the engine. It's playable and I'm enjoying it immensely but when the framerate drops massively at random points it really destroys the in-game immersion.

Do games on PS4 consoles count or just PC games?

I am playing the Skyrim expansion - might have the title wrong. Recent Skyrim with expansion.

That was basically my WoW years 2004-2007 as a teenager. No responsibilities, endless time and no guilty conscious that I should be doing something else. Those were the golden years, I can never go back (I've tired) but at least I have the nostalgia to look back upon.

Samesies

I haven't gamed in a good while but I'm thinking about getting back into it.

Have to build a new pc first
Have to save some money first

Lotta moving parts in this process

Despite the performance issues that have plauged the PC release of Dishonored 2, the game just looks exceptional. I just reached this level in the game, I had seen this in the trailer but I had no idea it was in-game mechanics/graphics.

I can't get the video to embed a specified playback time, so just watch from 2:25min - 3:00min.

Last edited:
bringing runescape back.. if you want to get cleaned out staking im your man !!

I have a new gaming rig.. but sadly the only thing I play on it is DayZ.

Lately I got hooked again on the Xcom 2, if you like strategic (not to mention tough) gaming, it's absolutely great, played it three times through now at varying difficulty and am aiming a a hardcore/ironman run next which will be a nightmare. Also, the Player community is spectacular, the guys who did the Long War mod for Xcom Enemy Unknown are about to release their new content in the next few weeks and that's set to completely change the whole game.

Also, if you like games that are hard (like, I mean unbelievably, brutally unforgiving hard) check out "Darkest Dungeons", it's a great Lovecraftian Roguelike type game. As I said though, it's HARD, you will have people kick the bucket, you will lose plenty, and you will have full party wipes as just a matter of course, but the game itself warns "this is about doing the best you can in a bad situation"...the game saves every thing you do as you do it, so you can't save scum to keep people from going insane or dying because of the eldritch horrors they encounter. Well worth the effort though if you can handle walking through that fire...

I've also been playing a lot of Civ6, quite a nice game, it's what you'd expect, if you like the Civ titles beforehand, this will also be right up your alley :) Civ is like the crack of the PC world...you'll sit playing for 14 hours straight and just repeating "oh, just one more turn....just one more turn!!" lol

Lately I got hooked again on the Xcom 2, if you like strategic (not to mention tough) gaming, it's absolutely great, played it three times through now at varying difficulty and am aiming a a hardcore/ironman run next which will be a nightmare. Also, the Player community is spectacular, the guys who did the Long War mod for Xcom Enemy Unknown are about to release their new content in the next few weeks and that's set to completely change the whole game.

Also, if you like games that are hard (like, I mean unbelievably, brutally unforgiving hard) check out "Darkest Dungeons", it's a great Lovecraftian Roguelike type game. As I said though, it's HARD, you will have people kick the bucket, you will lose plenty, and you will have full party wipes as just a matter of course, but the game itself warns "this is about doing the best you can in a bad situation"...the game saves every thing you do as you do it, so you can't save scum to keep people from going insane or dying because of the eldritch horrors they encounter. Well worth the effort though if you can handle walking through that fire...

I've also been playing a lot of Civ6, quite a nice game, it's what you'd expect, if you like the Civ titles beforehand, this will also be right up your alley :) Civ is like the crack of the PC world...you'll sit playing for 14 hours straight and just repeating "oh, just one more turn....just one more turn!!" lol

Damn, they got a new Civ? I played a lot of Civ 5- got this brand new computer... and now it crashes every 10 min!

Those games, I have not heard of any. Maybe I am not a true gamer lol. Have you played or heard of DayZ? If not, it's on youtube- Mr.Moon does some good Dayz videos.

Do you have steam? My steam name is "cappatown"

Damn, they got a new Civ? I played a lot of Civ 5- got this brand new computer... and now it crashes every 10 min!

Those games, I have not heard of any. Maybe I am not a true gamer lol. Have you played or heard of DayZ? If not, it's on youtube- Mr.Moon does some good Dayz videos.

Do you have steam? My steam name is "cappatown"

Yep, Civ 6 came out maybe five or so months back? If you liked Civ 5 you'll like it...I've already put in like, 100+ hours on it at this point. It has plenty new to offer (there's a whole new "district" mechanic for example, you basically have to place buildings in certain ways, so your city kind of grows out over time rather than having all the buildings just stack inside the one hex, so you can build a whole science district which allows you to build new things like libraries and so on or a religion district that lets you build other things like temples and so on, and depending where you build them in your borders you can get better or worse benefits). The overall FEEL of it though is familiar enough that if you know Civ 5 you'll be able to pick up and go right away.

X-Com is definitely one you should look into if you like strategy games...X-Com was actually a reboot of a classic game from the 90's I played on DOS years back, but you don't need to have played part 1 to understand what's going on, the basic concept is that aliens have invaded earth, you're commanding a squad called the X-Com initiative that's essentially a covert resistance group, combat is turn-based isometric style strategy and at the same time in between missions you're researching new weapons, figuring out what the aliens actually want with the earth and so on. Very cool game, I've already seen it on a number of "best of" lists so far, if you at all like turn based strategy games it's an absolute must have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOfZv0JjIg

Same with Darkest Dungeon, it's an independent game so it doesn't have quite the graphic punch of the others, but the art style fits it perfectly, and I'm a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft anyway so the atmosphere and mood works just right for me. A lot of it is about simply maintaining everyone's sanity, you're guys will eventually begin cracking up, becoming kleptomaniacs or obsessed with self-flagellation, the whole "sanity" aspect is unique enough it turns what could have been an ordinary rogue like into an incredibly tough (and I mean ridiculously hard) dungeon crawler with an eldritch twist. I actually heard about it because Stuart Chatwood from the band The Tea Party did the music and they're one of my favorite bands, ended up getting the early release copy by pre-ordering and it's damn good...frustrating as hell at points, but good...

I have tried out DayZ, I think when I did though it was still very much in an early, early state...I had quite a few glitches as I remember and sort of set it on the back burner, this was years back and from what I can tell it's still in "early alpha" which is a bit much honestly...the idea is undoubtedly cool, I love zombie movies, even from before today where zombies are frigging everywhere...I grew up with that shit in the 80's, I think I may just hold off until they've gotten out of the early alpha stage of things, the game's been going since 2013, almost 4 years now and it's still in Alpha and that's not really very comforting, I know all sorts of things have been promised like fort building and so on and nothing really has come to fruition. If they actually pull a full, complete release I'll happily take a look again and put down the cash for it, have had too many bad experiences paying money for a game that winds up becoming vaporware, and it's a rare, rare event for me to even pre-order a for sure game like Deus Ex or Mass Effect that I have a 100% guarantee will be completed on an exact schedule...doing it for a game that's been kind of hanging in limbo, as cool as the concept is, just isn't really worth it for me...I have so many completed games I have sitting in my list I have yet to play to go buying early alpha ones. We'll see when the official release comes out after beta testing is done... :)

DayZ can get old especially if you have no one to play with. Yeah, it's been early alpha for ages- I still enjoy it, hell it may not even GET finished ever- Dean Hall left DayZ.

DayZ and The Long Dark are the only early alpha games I have bought. They wanted to bring DayZ to console but I don't see that working.

I was logged onto D3 for 10 minutes. It was all i could stand. First time it tried to play in 2 months. Hoping POE is much better.

^ I love D3 what couldn't you stand about it?

Anyone on here pay Heroes of The Storm? its been my fav game/ all I pay for the last few months... deff recommend it even if you aren't into MOBAS. If you play WOW now is a good chance to try HOTS because they doing a cross mount promotion so you get the same mount in both games for play 15 games of HOTS

seriously tho play HOTs its so much fucking fun

Thinking about playing some Dark Souls 3 to try and grind past the God damn Undead Settlement or maybe I'll just say fuck it and play Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion since I rediscovered my CD case for it and the expansion in my drawer yesterday...never played them before because my hardware sucked when I bought them but now I can play them with no trouble whatsoever...hard choice.

^I heard Oblivion was the best of the Elder Scrolls series. I really loved Skyrim myself.

The only game I play these days is Star Trek Online. If you're a Trekkie, it is a must! My steam account says I've burned about 1100 hours of my life on the game. Jesus...