• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Passivity breeds Mediocrity and Mental Illness

Very good video!
It is true the human condition does not fair well in environments that do not facilitate the expansion of awareness and the fufillment of higher needs and development. As much as it does sound narcissistic and grandiose, it is true that we are beings that demand a significant amount of effort to sculpt in order to feel a sense of authentic self worth. There is a hierarchy to our nature that defines us as a higher or lower version of ourselves, this is reflected in our society clearly and it is not entirely a political thing. Politics has hijacked this hierarchy of human potential but it still exists behind it. That is why you have lower vibrational people and higher vibrational people, and thats just one way of describing this difference. Why some people are angry, jealous, bitter, others are not. Why some fail over and over, some dont. Why some live miserable lives and never amount to much, and some the opposite.

Passivity though has its place.
Sometimes you just need to shut the f*ck up and watch and do nothing. Just see the world moving and take it all in without getting lost in the chaos. Passivity does not imply impulsivity and recklessness, cowardice or poverty of judgment. A bodyguard is passive in all but most of his work because his client often doesnt need him to put someone out cold in a rear naked choke. The ability to go from passive to active is completely different to being reactionary and a much more advanced ability in comparison a much more primitive attack like a monkey howling at the trees swaying in the wind.

I have trained as a therapist and passivity is a good mode to operate in within certain contexts. Again, passivity meaning you respond as opposed to react but your natural stance is one of being calm, relaxed and being absorbed in the moment without feeling the need to change anything. It can be mistaken as weakness but those who see it as weakness and always seen themselves as the busy body with delusions that they can control and define the universe. You usually see these people in psychedelic trips "losing their mind" because they lose their grip on micromanaging every detail and what you see before you is someone who is actually quite frightened and perplexed by the chaotic world around them. The much more passive person though can navigate the chaos internally without feeling the need to project out a false sense of self. But that isnt to say the passive individual in this example is weak, defenseless and incapable. It is usually the opposite.

There is a time and a place for taking the time to simply do nothing, or at the least superficial things. But there is significantly more space within our existence that must be filled with doing what really matters and that is becoming who you are and fulfulling your higher needs in order to attain a high level of self awareness, knowledge, respect and worth.

I would rather be passive than partake in enslavement. If I can't make a meaningful life that doesn't require me to be an accessory to exploitation, then I'd rather be passive.

I'm not depressed because I'm passive. I'm depressed because human life on this planet is largely terrible and I'm part of the generation that has been totally screwed by the sociopaths currently running the show. I'm depressed by the devastation that is befalling this planet, the growing class divide, and the decreasing agency I have to mitigate my own suffering.

This is my passive-resistance. I am not helping or hindering.

I would rather be passive than partake in enslavement. If I can't make a meaningful life that doesn't require me to be an accessory to exploitation, then I'd rather be passive.

I'm not depressed because I'm passive. I'm depressed because human life on this planet is largely terrible and I'm part of the generation that has been totally screwed by the sociopaths currently running the show. I'm depressed by the devastation that is befalling this planet, the growing class divide, and the decreasing agency I have to mitigate my own suffering.

This is my passive-resistance. I am not helping or hindering.
Well I am sympathetic to a lot of what you mentioned however the fact is today, this age, is by far the most fair and easiest time to have ever existed on this planet.

I don't think this video was specifically talking about modern day work slavery or the system.

To me defeating passivity is as simple as going for a hike or picking up a new hobby.

I've also noticed the less I do, the more I do nothing but try to be comfortable 24/7, the worse my illness and neuroses get.

Well I am sympathetic to a lot of what you mentioned however the fact is today, this age, is by far the most fair and easiest time to have ever existed on this planet.

Easy for whom?

A prison is still a prison, even if it's a nice one.

If you're talking about being an active person vs sitting around, I agree with you. That must be balanced out. However, the kind of activity that capitalism praises and awards is not healthy. Workaholism is destructive and dare I say the majority of people working 40 hours a week are not healthy. They end up having to sacrifice one need or another to meet those hours, or they take stimulants like coffee to get through.

Last edited:
Easy for whom?

A prison is still a prison, even if it's a nice one.

If you're talking about being an active person vs sitting around, I agree with you. That must be balanced out. However, the kind of activity that capitalism praises and awards is not healthy. Workaholism is destructive and dare I say the majority of people working 40 hours a week are not healthy. They end up having to sacrifice one need or another to meet those hours, or they take stimulants like coffee to get through.
I'm simply saying that in general on average it's much easier to live these days. When's the last time you had to worry about a life or death situation? It used to be daily.

Medicine, technology.

Hell just 100 years ago an 80 hour 7 day work week was the norm just ti live in poverty. Yes that still happens some places but it's improving.

Life really isn't so dreadful. For me at least.

Call me an optimist

I really like this YouTube channel. He is heavily influenced by Jung and Nietzsche which is great for me. His videos are both actual with current state of the world (ones of mass psychosis, rise of totalitarianism, "brave new world+1984" parallels, etc. ...) and great source of collected knowledge. I am watching them as somebody who has great interest in psychology but no actual training in any field. Great chanel for layman's who are interested in psychology/philosophy.

P.S. I don't know why, but I have some suspicion that this channel is made/run by somebody who is connected to Jordan Peterson. Maybe a student...or is simply a coincidence (themes and timing).

If somebody is interested there is a great online course made by John Vervaeke, called "Awakening from the Meaning Crisis". If someone is interested in cognitive science (philosophy, psychology, neurology...) he will get much from this high quality 50 hours lectures. If one wants to go beyond layman's knowledge Vervaeke gives excellent pointers to the directions of further pursuits of knowledge. My humble opinion... :)

I agree with this fully. I was offered a good life in todays society if I look away from the atrocities that behaving in accordance with its requirements inevitably create. People say they are against the war but are almost shocked (in my country, not USA) when I point out that they are paying for NATO wars themselves. The fact that money is taken from taxes and put into very destructive purposes doesn't cross the mind of a general populous. I could give example after example how society is constructed so one can not be a functioning part of it and not oppressor, tyrant, immoral...at the same time, but point with taxes will suffice. If action equals wrongdoing than passivity (better to say "non participation") is truly healthy. I don't know the "worlds of past" so I will not compare, but todays society is formed in such a manner that unfair, unhealthy and unsustainable outcomes are unavoidable if one is participating by the rules layed out.

I really like this YouTube channel. He is heavily influenced by Jung and Nietzsche which is great for me. His videos are both actual with current state of the world (ones of mass psychosis, rise of totalitarianism, "brave new world+1984" parallels, etc. ...) and great source of collected knowledge. I am watching them as somebody who has great interest in psychology but no actual training in any field. Great chanel for layman's who are interested in psychology/philosophy.

P.S. I don't know why, but I have some suspicion that this channel is made/run by somebody who is connected to Jordan Peterson. Maybe a student...or is simply a coincidence (themes and timing).

If somebody is interested there is a great online course made by John Vervaeke, called "Awakening from the Meaning Crisis". If someone is interested in cognitive science (philosophy, psychology, neurology...) he will get much from this high quality 50 hours lectures. If one wants to go beyond layman's knowledge Vervaeke gives excellent pointers to the directions of further pursuits of knowledge. My humble opinion... :)

I cincererely hope the 24oz of beer and 3g of K will not interupt

Interesting video.

I'm simply saying that in general on average it's much easier to live these days. When's the last time you had to worry about a life or death situation? It used to be daily.

Medicine, technology.
It's kind of a double edged sword. While those living in first world countries are able to enjoy these things, colonialism and imperialism still ravage many places in the world. So while the middle class in the US generally wants for nothing, their lives are being propped up by the suffering of those in the Global South.

I don't think leisure necessarily breeds mental illness, but it definitely breeds mediocrity. There are so many of us now, it seems like the easier life gets for us, the easier it is to just coast through and do very little. Many jobs that we have are entirely superfluous, and production is wasted to satisfy the profit motive of an ever shrinking group of elites. People are less likely to undertake great projects, because it's easier to just mindlessly punch a clock at The Company©

I don't think leisure necessarily breeds mental illness, but it definitely breeds mediocrity.
For me it definitely does big time however leisure and passivity isn't really the same thing but similar in my mind.

In my life if I just hide in my house doing nothing productive my anxiety and depression goes through the roof.

I think it's somewhat complex because everyone's life is a lot different.

Me being lazy and wanting to be comfortable all the time is probably the biggest factor for me, isolation is very destructive in my life.

Something my mother used to say that always stuck with me was "Doesn't it feel good to get stuff done?". Yes it does :)

For me it definitely does big time however leisure and passivity isn't really the same thing but similar in my mind.

In my life if I just hide in my house doing nothing productive my anxiety and depression goes through the roof.

I think it's somewhat complex because everyone's life is a lot different.

Me being lazy and wanting to be comfortable all the time is probably the biggest factor for me, isolation is very destructive in my life.
Soo9oooooooo ckolsie e so close

I put it to you, if are passive, is this not a response and therefore an action?
Nobody can be truly passive (not doing) not even for a moment. When one invokes passivity it means "not participating" in my book. If you don't believe me, maybe Krishna is better authority, as he says to Arjuna "There is no one who can remain without action even for a moment.". So passivity is a term for not participating in a certain action against passivity is done. If that makes sense. 🤣

Medicine, technology.

Hell just 100 years ago an 80 hour 7 day work week was the norm just ti live in poverty. Yes that still happens some places but it's improving.

Life really isn't so dreadful. For me at least.

Call me an optimist

All built on a house of cards, unfortunately. We have built great material things but once the world's ecology collapses, we will be right back to being an agrarian society; except it will be worse because we won't have a lot of wilds left to turn to for survival.

We need 3 earths to sustain our current use of resources. Maybe life is good for some, but it's built upon mass destruction, and it's not going to last.

That's not me being a pessimist, it's just the scientific view, which is one of the only reliable views right now. We've been warned for years about what is going to happen environmentally and nobody has listened. Now we are in the end times.