• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Partner (37M) is controlling yet I still want to stay.

astral_logic_

Greenlighter
This is Cohesion!
I don't know if any of the same people are around-- thanks for being here after all these years, BL.

Here's the scenario:

I am going on an upcoming trip with my partner and our two daughters. We’ve been together for a year and a half. His is 15, mine is 11.
He always wants to travel solo when we take international trips. So, we buy separate flights and itineraries then meet in the destined city. On return, he typically stays longer than me, returning a week or more later. On these trips we are going to yoga festivals and visiting with all our friends.

During the last trip in October to his home country, we were going through a difficult moment. I was stressed/anxious/not eating because he was closing his heart to me, being very mean, and simultaneously flirting and paying attention to anyone except me. My emotional weakness likely set the conditions for him to avoid me and simultaneously grow closer to different women with his questionable intentions and mutual uncertainty about the future.
I think in all that, he made a potentially romantic emotional connection with a few different women there--- one in particular. He even brought her to his grandma’s house, and gave her one of my suitcases for her travel back home.
Our next trip is planned for July. I bought my and my daughter’s tickets. When I told him of my ticket purchase, he said, with pride and a smile, that he was going to stay a week or more longer than me. Also, could I bring his daughter back on the flight with me?

Should I bring her back, knowing he is opening a door to spend time with "friends" solo? I think I should do it without questioning him. By refusing to take his daughter home on the flight with us, he will either a) have to sacrifice his “alone time” from family to be with "friends", or b) send her on a flight alone and then resent me for it. Well, he simply wouldn't sacrifice his alone time, and she has been on international flights alone before.

Should I ask him directly if he made a romantic connection with this specific woman? Again, I can’t- because he’d get angry immediately, and I would never hear the end of it. He would say that my asking him was “jealous and delusional” and that I don’t trust him. He’d say that they were just friends. He’d constantly bring up me being “jealous” of him— he thinks I’m constantly jealous. Deep down I feel that asking him anything at all about her would do nothing to improve our current relationship.

I think that he's trying to speed up the end of our relationship. Knowing him, if I mention either of those things, he is likely to bring them up in the days and weeks before our flights out-- Whether he's doing it intentionally or not, it would break any potential positive momentum.

I want to keep the relationship for at least 2 more years- for family stability/growth. Personally, I rely on his support as I work through grad school. I also have a tendency to have dips in my mental health that historically has affected the functioning of my parenting and all-around well-being. Our family structure/home helps buffer my lows. There’s also social status that comes with being his partner - he's very attractive, a musician, and has a really cool successful career. This weighs heavily. I probably wouldn’t visit the yoga community anymore- I wouldn’t want to be there with him if we weren't together. I feel like his prospects are better than mine, going forward.

He definitely has lows too. He’s controlling and mean on most if not all days. He’s constantly supervising and criticizing me. It lowers my self-esteem. Often he’s wrong, and mean about it. Other times he’s exactly right, and I improve myself. Overall, he doesn’t say too many loving things anymore. Sometimes he treats me like one of the kids.

We have talked about buying an investment property together later this year. I want to stay friends if at all possible. It will be hard to let go of the resentment that he wanted me to stop going to school “because I don’t have to anymore” (due to his good salary). Now he wants me to get there fast- but a year later I’m almost where I left off. I lost momentum when he told me to take fewer classes and slow down.

Every day I feel deeply unhappy because I believe but don't have solid evidence that his heart is wandering. What's worse is that this woman made very close acquaintance with my daughter- my 11 year old loves her a lot.
How many more of these trips do I really want to go on? It looks like a lot of suffering ahead, the way he is so warm and sweet with other women and treats me so small. But I also want to go and to be seen, I want them to know that I exist. I'm afraid that I won't be able to handle my emotions well- and everyone will see- if I don't completely "let him go" in my mind before our next trip.

The good reasons are:
What I get:
-His role in my daughter’s life
-Financial stability
-His (now my) community
-Respect from others when they find out I am his partner
-His capacity and ability to accomplish things that we share mutual interest in.
-His constant urging me to be/do better
Avoiding pain:
-Don’t want to break up the family structure
-Not confident that I can handle it as well as a single parent
-Not wanting him to find someone prettier, smarter, with greater ability than me (He would- and What would that say about me?)
-Don’t feel my prospects are going to be as good as his in the dating game, he has more to offer than me.
TL;DR
Partner is a good step dad in spite of his anger and control. Stability and relative peace for our daughters due to their histories. But he's not putting effort that nourishes me into our relationship, is mean, and maybe has someone in mind. Should I travel to the international locations where our community meets and "hold my place" and try not to see anything but them just "being friends"? If I maintain peace, I can keep the relationship going for a long time. He wouldn't leave me for her until my daughter is older (because of the social faux pas it would be in the community to walk out as a step dad without a "good reason"- if I'm keeping the peace, I get to stay).

This is Cohesion!
I don't know if any of the same people are around-- thanks for being here after all these years, BL.

Here's the scenario:

I am going on an upcoming trip with my partner and our two daughters. We’ve been together for a year and a half. His is 15, mine is 11.
He always wants to travel solo when we take international trips. So, we buy separate flights and itineraries then meet in the destined city. On return, he typically stays longer than me, returning a week or more later. On these trips we are going to yoga festivals and visiting with all our friends.

During the last trip in October to his home country, we were going through a difficult moment. I was stressed/anxious/not eating because he was closing his heart to me, being very mean, and simultaneously flirting and paying attention to anyone except me. My emotional weakness likely set the conditions for him to avoid me and simultaneously grow closer to different women with his questionable intentions and mutual uncertainty about the future.
I think in all that, he made a potentially romantic emotional connection with a few different women there--- one in particular. He even brought her to his grandma’s house, and gave her one of my suitcases for her travel back home.
Our next trip is planned for July. I bought my and my daughter’s tickets. When I told him of my ticket purchase, he said, with pride and a smile, that he was going to stay a week or more longer than me. Also, could I bring his daughter back on the flight with me?

Should I bring her back, knowing he is opening a door to spend time with "friends" solo? I think I should do it without questioning him. By refusing to take his daughter home on the flight with us, he will either a) have to sacrifice his “alone time” from family to be with "friends", or b) send her on a flight alone and then resent me for it. Well, he simply wouldn't sacrifice his alone time, and she has been on international flights alone before.

Should I ask him directly if he made a romantic connection with this specific woman? Again, I can’t- because he’d get angry immediately, and I would never hear the end of it. He would say that my asking him was “jealous and delusional” and that I don’t trust him. He’d say that they were just friends. He’d constantly bring up me being “jealous” of him— he thinks I’m constantly jealous. Deep down I feel that asking him anything at all about her would do nothing to improve our current relationship.

I think that he's trying to speed up the end of our relationship. Knowing him, if I mention either of those things, he is likely to bring them up in the days and weeks before our flights out-- Whether he's doing it intentionally or not, it would break any potential positive momentum.

I want to keep the relationship for at least 2 more years- for family stability/growth. Personally, I rely on his support as I work through grad school. I also have a tendency to have dips in my mental health that historically has affected the functioning of my parenting and all-around well-being. Our family structure/home helps buffer my lows. There’s also social status that comes with being his partner - he's very attractive, a musician, and has a really cool successful career. This weighs heavily. I probably wouldn’t visit the yoga community anymore- I wouldn’t want to be there with him if we weren't together. I feel like his prospects are better than mine, going forward.

He definitely has lows too. He’s controlling and mean on most if not all days. He’s constantly supervising and criticizing me. It lowers my self-esteem. Often he’s wrong, and mean about it. Other times he’s exactly right, and I improve myself. Overall, he doesn’t say too many loving things anymore. Sometimes he treats me like one of the kids.

We have talked about buying an investment property together later this year. I want to stay friends if at all possible. It will be hard to let go of the resentment that he wanted me to stop going to school “because I don’t have to anymore” (due to his good salary). Now he wants me to get there fast- but a year later I’m almost where I left off. I lost momentum when he told me to take fewer classes and slow down.

Every day I feel deeply unhappy because I believe but don't have solid evidence that his heart is wandering. What's worse is that this woman made very close acquaintance with my daughter- my 11 year old loves her a lot.
How many more of these trips do I really want to go on? It looks like a lot of suffering ahead, the way he is so warm and sweet with other women and treats me so small. But I also want to go and to be seen, I want them to know that I exist. I'm afraid that I won't be able to handle my emotions well- and everyone will see- if I don't completely "let him go" in my mind before our next trip.

The good reasons are:
What I get:
-His role in my daughter’s life
-Financial stability
-His (now my) community
-Respect from others when they find out I am his partner
-His capacity and ability to accomplish things that we share mutual interest in.
-His constant urging me to be/do better
Avoiding pain:
-Don’t want to break up the family structure
-Not confident that I can handle it as well as a single parent
-Not wanting him to find someone prettier, smarter, with greater ability than me (He would- and What would that say about me?)
-Don’t feel my prospects are going to be as good as his in the dating game, he has more to offer than me.
TL;DR
Partner is a good step dad in spite of his anger and control. Stability and relative peace for our daughters due to their histories. But he's not putting effort that nourishes me into our relationship, is mean, and maybe has someone in mind. Should I travel to the international locations where our community meets and "hold my place" and try not to see anything but them just "being friends"? If I maintain peace, I can keep the relationship going for a long time. He wouldn't leave me for her until my daughter is older (because of the social faux pas it would be in the community to walk out as a step dad without a "good reason"- if I'm keeping the peace, I get to stay).
I remember you cohesion. I hope you are well. Do you and your partner have an open marriage or relationship? Or not? I personally would not stay with this person but we make our own choices and have you talked to him about any of this?

Also the way he is controlling is never good, and is a major red flag.

Last edited:
Are you a fool or an elaborate troll?

If this is for real then congrats, you sounds like you're infatuated with a narcissist.
that is what narcissistic people do unfortunately. They have extremely low self esteem and drag others down or string them along by being manipulative and they only care about themselves first and foremost. It is best to avoid these people, cut off all contact, set boundaries, and tell them not to contact you. They will contact you again but ignore it and do not respond.

They will just move onto the next person, and that can mean 100s or in some cases 1,000s of people who they will contact or try to get attention from. They claim to have lots of friends but these are not healthy relationships, true friendships, and they only contact these people when they want something from them be it money, attention, sympathy, the illusion of fame, etc.

that is what narcissistic people do unfortunately. They have extremely low self esteem and drag others down or string them along by being manipulative and they only care about themselves first and foremost. It is best to avoid these people, cut off all contact, set boundaries, and tell them not to contact you. They will contact you again but ignore it and do not respond.

They will just move onto the next person, and that can mean 100s or in some cases 1,000s of people who they will contact or try to get attention from. They claim to have lots of friends but these are not healthy relationships, true friendships, and they only contact these people when they want something from them be it money, attention, sympathy, the illusion of fame, etc.

Yeah, I know... Pretty sure my dad suffers from NPD. lol

It's not a relationship based on monogamous love.

Why is he with you, what does he get from it? Is he staying with you for the sake of the kids?

I suggest you sit him down and work out the parameters of this without getting accusatory. You both know he's seeing that other woman.

He probably is aware you are with him to have his stability /finances /status.

There might be underlying mutual attraction but if you did care about each other and have things work thrn be honest.

Tell him you know he sees someone else for that week. Don't get mad just tell him it's known and not something he's gotten away with. Tell him you do not want anyone else using your stuff like your suitcase as they should be able to get their stuff from A to B by themselves like you do.

Tell him in exchange for this hall pass thrn you would also like a hall pass or financial recompense.

His daughter has a mother. Why can't she take her for that week?

Don't put up with bullshit nor expect him to act out of love completely as you are not staying with him for love either.

It's only been a year and a half, you can cope without him.

If you continue to accept his actions, why would he stop? He's got it made. Don't settle for this. He's walking all over you, disrespects you and has zero regard for your feelings. He's gaslighting you by calling you delusional and jealous. I also agree with the other posters regarding him being a narcissist.
I hear what you're saying regarding wanting a stable family unit/finances and a buffer for your anxiety spells. But you're not doing yourself any favours.
A few years ago I had to leave a very unhealthy relationship and I literally packed everything I could into the boot of my car and drove myself to a crisis/ charity centre (with our two children)..
You will get to a stage where nothing matters except for your wellbeing and the example you are setting for your child.
I would NEVER put up with everything you have. I'd rather sleep in my car tbh.
Get out and don't look back.

He even brought her to his grandma’s house, and gave her one of my suitcases for her travel back home.
Lol that's a huge red flag. If you had left immediately, none of us would blame you.

It's mean to say, but the fact is dating with a kid hurts your prospects. Women who are willing to spend the night with him won't necessarily be willing to help raise his daughter. (Which isn't surprising IMHO.)

So I think that's unlikely.

He would say that my asking him was “jealous and delusional” and that I don’t trust him. He’d say that they were just friends. He’d constantly bring up me being “jealous” of him— he thinks I’m constantly jealous.
Calling your partner delusional is pretty bad. I mean everyone exaggerates a little sometimes, but when it becomes a pattern, it's no longer hyperbole; it's just gaslighting.

Often he’s wrong, and mean about it. Other times he’s exactly right, and I improve myself.
It would be weird if someone was never right. Even terrible people often know a decent amount about life. But that doesn't mean you should date them.

he's cheating, he doesnt respect you BUT you stay with him because you are needy

needy for what? to be controlled and treated mean?

when u get toxic people out of your life suddenly your sense of self esteem rises cos they were always inflating their ego by being rude to you or acting like you are below them

get someone nice- this guy if you got really ill would leave u in a hospital and fuck some women while doing nothing for you

when your partner has no empathy its not a partnership its a usership and very transactional at that. the moment you stop feeding them what they get off you the moment you stop being relevant

Wow! Thank you. I appreciate this post a lot my brother!

This is good advise and what I need to understand!
I have a person like this in my life and it is so frustrating.
I cut off all contact yet again! Last night!
I will not respond to this person again. I know he will just wait some months and then try to contact me after I cool off but there is just no dealing with people like this and it only causes irritation for me that I do not need!

They are toxic waste!

Maybe in a few hundred more lives they will grow up!
Let us hope!

Welcome!! Lots of good advice here, and as the smart person that you are you know what the right answer is here, your heart and Gut are telling you. Remember that the Longest distance is your Brain to your Heart!! You know what to do, but your emotions want a different outcome???
Nothing Changes .........................If Nothing Changes
Move a muscle and ..................Change a thought!!
Most important thing is Stay Safe.
All is Well - ICE

It is difficult to quit something or someone even when one's know how bad it may be, that's because quitting means returning to the old self, bleeding from the opening wounds, hopeless, missing the walking stick.

Is it worth continuing? it is obvious but it is the truth, it is a matter of choice, you can choose to stay and submit yourself to these annoying situations that you have been going through or to quite and resign by being back to your old life... did you enjoy it?

It is always better to be on your own and have your dignity instead of staying with a blatant cheater! He even brags about it! He might as well be literally spitting in her face!

I stopped reading OP’s post along the way because it made me sick.

Take your daughter and get the fuck away from him. Or stay, but don’t complain about it. You already know what’s going on. Have some respect for yourself and teach your daughter not to put up with any man like that. You’re setting a bad example for her.

He’s not emotionally connected to her. It’s not real love. Never stay with someone just because you don’t want to be alone. You are alone anyway since he’s out sticking his dick in everything that moves. This kind of thing is maddening.