• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Particular Strains to Increase Appetite?

Klapsmuhle

Greenlighter
I've not had a lot of experience with smoking weed; only about 4 times or so. One of the main reasons I began trying it out was to get the munchies. I've had a lot of trouble with my appetite being very decreased for almost 2 years now, and since getting super hungry on weed seems like a big deal, I had high hopes that my appetite would improve at least a little.

No such luck, unfortunately.

The person I used to smoke with mentioned to me that certain strains increase your appetite. Each time I smoked with them, they were confident beforehand that I'd get the munchies, but I never did. Is it true that only some of the strains make you hungry, or should any strain give you an appetite?

You'd be smoking every time you eat. Try exercising, it'll use all your energy and the human body will do it's natural thing and tell you that you need to eat. IMO Smoke to get high not to eat.

Look for high CBD strains, indica is what gives you the munchies. Anything purple will have you eating anything and everything.

personally I don't find it to be strain dependent. Like others have said exercise will most definitely increase your appetite and metabolism as well. If you are dealing with depression, maybe find a high THC strain, get in a good work out, and then smoke some weed and hit the shower. If you are not starving and feeling a little better by the time you get out of the shower then idk what will work. The hardest part is to really push yourself during the workout if you haven't been eating well and are feeling down. Try to reach the point where you are sweating and go another 15+ minutes. You might feel a little sick if you haven't eaten and are pushing yourself but that will soon subside after a smoke and shower. As soon as you start smelling some good food your appetite will be through the roof.

IMO Smoke to get high not to eat.

There's a difference between recreational and medicinal use, and both are viable. ;)

@OP, There are specific strains with specific effects-- some people hate on the site, but I've always considered www.leafly.com to be a damn good guide at discovering which strains might hold my interest more than others. Pretty much all weed makes me hungry, though... but I kind of do this weird thing where I smoke first thing in the morning around 1am, go to work, get back home between 9am-10am, hit a bowl and then focus on breakfast, so.... mine probably aren't the eating habits you want to emulate.

Outside of that daily early morning fast, though, I'm like constantly eating. My problem? I think I've got a fucking tapeworm, dude, because I've been unable to gain more than 10lbs in the past 3 years, and those 10lbs are always temporary and can even swing in the opposite direction. :?:?:?

Last edited:
all weed strains get me pretty hungry. can't think of one that doesn't get me craving food. i don't like the munchies, however, so i try to eat before i smoke as i feel it brings down my high.

as suggested above leafly.com helps with understanding the basic effects of different strains. some are more desirable for different effects than others. indica dominant strains tend to have me eating a lot more than sativa dominant.

Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice. :) Exercise has never been my favorite thing ever but I'm willing to give it a better try nowadays. Upon browsing around leafly.com a bit I already find it to be very thorough and helpful since you can really fine-tune what exactly you're searching for. I'm surprised to hear that there are people who don't like the site, but I guess everyone has different experiences.

The only strain I know for sure I tried is Green Crack, and the high I got from it was fantastic. It helped a fuckload with my anxiety and depression, I honestly don't think I've ever felt so relaxed before.

If indica dominant strains are more likely to cause hunger, what kind of effects do sativa dominant strains tend to have?

Indica vs. Sativa: Understanding the Differences

Me, personally, I've never noticed a "munchie effect" among indicas that doesn't exist among sativas....

But, you know, everything's subjective when it comes to this shit, I guess....

So according to that article, the only real definitive differences are appearance and typical THC:CBD ratio. The rest is largely speculation and has no real science to back it. Like the whole sativa = daytime use and indica = night time... I think the differences are very heavily exaggerated. Strains that contain THC-V should definitely be looked at more closely, but with the majority of strains out there being sativa/indica hybrids and are bred to produce more THC, the main difference is not sativa or indica, it is how much THC and other cannabinoids are present, possibly terpenes as well.

I think the bigger factors has to do with an individual tolerance, potency and ratio of cannabinoids, and the person's body.

Here is Business Insider's take on weed and munchies:

"Recent studies into the side effects of marijuana have shown that the phenomenon we call “the munchies” is actually somewhat complex. No source is solely responsible for the increased hunger users feel. The one common link to this most tenacious of side effects of marijuana is the endocannabinoid system within the brain. A 2013 study published in Nature Neuroscience used mice to examine potential reasons behind the increased appetite in weed smokers. Tests pointed to olfactory responses in the mice as indicators that a heightened sense of smell may actually give users the munchies. So how does smell figure into one of the most common side effects of marijuana? Taste and smell are closely linked senses. But they’re not the only aspects working against us in the case of the munchies.Cannabinoid receptors prompt an area of the brain called the nucleus accumbens to discharge dopamine, meaning one of the side effects of marijuana is simply being rewarded with a wonderful feeling when eating. In addition, the hypothalamus unleashes a hormone called ghrelin, provoking hunger. It’s not one offender but a TKO that results in one of the most notorious side effects of smoking weed. While you probably number the munchies among the negative effects of marijuana, increased appetite is a major reason for medical marijuana prescriptions among AIDS and chemotherapy patients."

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to that article, the only real definitive differences are appearance and typical THC:CBD ratio. The rest is largely speculation and has no real science to back it. Like the whole sativa = daytime use and indica = night time... I think the differences are very heavily exaggerated. Strains that contain THC-V should definitely be looked at more closely, but with the majority of strains out there being sativa/indica hybrids and are bred to produce more THC, the main difference is not sativa or indica, it is how much THC and other cannabinoids are present, possibly terpenes as well.

I think the bigger factors has to do with an individual tolerance, potency and ratio of cannabinoids, and the person's body.

Here is Business Insider's take on weed and munchies:

Maybe that's what it says. I skimmed it until I saw "Effects," noticed that part was spot-on and linked it.

You're focusing on chemical composition whereas I'm only concerned with how it effects me-- not why it effects me the way it does.

Selected parts from the article that highlight what I was talking about:

"The differences between indica and sativa remain a subject of much debate, especially among scientists who study the plant. Besides appearance, indica and sativa plants are commonly believed to have different effects on their user. However, no scientific study has confirmed these differences, and there is some doubt about their accuracy.

In fact, history suggests a much simpler difference between indica and sativa.Lamarck observed that certain marijuana plants from India were intoxicating and could be made into hashish. But traditional hemp crops, which were more common in Europe, had no mind-altering effect.He came up with the name Cannabis indica to distinguish Indian cannabis from European hemp, which was known at the time as Cannabis sativa.

Likewise, Cannabis indica was specifically recognized as a therapeutic in Western medicine during the 1800s.Scientists that have studied the differences between indica and sativa have come up with a number of theories based on genetics. One prevailing theory focuses on the genetic production of THC and CBD.Based on this explanation, indica plants have high THC:CBD ratios and sativa plants have high CBD:THC ratios.

The problem is that, today, many strains produce varying amounts of both enzymes. Some researchers believe this is due to hybridization of the gene pools, which explains why some sativas are rich in THC and some indicas are not."

Basically it says that beyond physical traits their differences are up for debate. Recent trends of hybridization has really closed the gap between the two being that almost all popular strains today are hybrids. Also, the article says that the main difference appears to be THC and CBD content, as well as possibly other cannabinoids and terpenes.

Selected parts from the article that highlight what I was talking about:

"The differences between indica and sativa remain a subject of much debate, especially among scientists who study the plant. Besides appearance, indica and sativa plants are commonly believed to have different effects on their user. However, no scientific study has confirmed these differences, and there is some doubt about their accuracy.

In fact, history suggests a much simpler difference between indica and sativa.Lamarck observed that certain marijuana plants from India were intoxicating and could be made into hashish. But traditional hemp crops, which were more common in Europe, had no mind-altering effect.He came up with the name Cannabis indica to distinguish Indian cannabis from European hemp, which was known at the time as Cannabis sativa.

Likewise, Cannabis indica was specifically recognized as a therapeutic in Western medicine during the 1800s.Scientists that have studied the differences between indica and sativa have come up with a number of theories based on genetics. One prevailing theory focuses on the genetic production of THC and CBD.Based on this explanation, indica plants have high THC:CBD ratios and sativa plants have high CBD:THC ratios.

The problem is that, today, many strains produce varying amounts of both enzymes. Some researchers believe this is due to hybridization of the gene pools, which explains why some sativas are rich in THC and some indicas are not."

Basically it says that beyond physical traits their differences are up for debate. Recent trends of hybridization has really closed the gap between the two being that almost all popular strains today are hybrids. Also, the article says that the main difference appears to be THC and CBD content, as well as possibly other cannabinoids and terpenes.

You know, there's really no definitive statements being made there outside the history of marijuana use. The writer is simply exposing the reader to "prevailing theories" and does a damn good job of dancing around anything definitive with regard to typical differences in chemical composition between indicas and sativas.

What do YOU think the main difference is, Maf'? You know, if it's naught to do with any of those cool ratios? Point of origin?

I'm starting to think you're just wishing the dude had mentioned every psychoactive chemical ever found in marijuana and their relationships with each other. If that's the case.... well, I agree, but it's not like I was linking to a research paper or anything.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm just curious as to what would be causing the different highs, whether it is in the plant or it is something in the body.

I think one of the authors opening statements sums it up pretty well with:
"The differences between indica and sativa remain a subject of much debate, especially among scientists who study the plant. Besides appearance, indica and sativa plants are commonly believed to have different effects on their user. However, no scientific study has confirmed these differences, and there is some doubt about their accuracy"