Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Parents' house seized after son's drug bust

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Parents' house seized after son's drug bust
By Pamela Brown, CNN
updated 3:16 PM EDT, Wed September 3, 2014

(CNN) -- The rare moments Christos Sourovelis can take a break from running his own painting business, he can be found toiling away on his family's dream house in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

"I'm a working guy. I work every day, six days a week, even seven if I have to," Sourovelis says. One day this past March, without warning, the government took his house away, even though he and his wife, Markella, have never been charged with a crime or accused of any wrongdoing.

"I was so upset thinking somebody's going to take my house for nothing. That makes me crazy," Sourovelis says, shaking his head.

The nightmare began when police showed up at the house and arrested their 22-year-old son, Yianni, on drug charges -- $40 worth of heroin. Authorities say he was selling drugs out of the home. The Sourvelises say they had no knowledge of any involvement their son might have had with drugs.

A month-and-a-half later police came back -- this time to seize their house, forcing the Sourvelises and their children out on the street that day. Authorities came with the electric company in tow to turn off the power and even began locking the doors with screws, the Sourvelises say. Authorities won't comment on the exact circumstances because of pending litigation regarding the case.

Police and prosecutors came armed with a lawsuit against the house itself. It was being forfeited and transferred to the custody of the Philadelphia District Attorney. Authorities said the house was tied to illegal drugs and therefore subject to civil forfeiture.

In two years, nearly 500 families in Philadelphia had their homes or cars taken away by city officials, according to records from Pennsylvania's attorney general.

continued here http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/03/us/philadelphia-drug-bust-house-seizure/

.................................................................................................................................................

Scum of the earth.. just look for a criminal, denoted with a badge or a black robe. Your time is coming.

EDIT: this is not a threat against law enforcement or anyone else, it refers to the fact that the public is becoming aware of your terrible behavior, figuring out you real motives, are no longer falling for your propaganda, and are starting to hold you accountable. The days of the law makers, enforcers, and upholders being "above the law" are coming to an end and. Everybody's starting to see your honeypot scams and the evil they are and the evil they create. Welcome to the hot seat boys.

Last edited:
Disgraceful pigs.

"We used to make shit in this country, but now we reach into each others' pockets instead."

That is fucking horrendous.
Absolute barbarism. That's not law enforcement, it's organised crime.
Those poor people.

What a bunch of fucking scumbag assholes. They have zero cause to seize their house, they weren't the ones selling out of it...and all they seized was 40 worth of dope?!?! What the fuck is happening to this country.

Fuck these up tight L.E.O.s they're assholes!!!...

Ugh, this anger is so contagious. I should know better, but it feels so sweet.
Upon reconsideration I think my emotion blinds me. The police have abused asset forfeiture laws, especially in Philadelphia. Raising awareness of Americas unjust drug policy does promote progress. If people gain interest because of how good being angry feels then support often fades with the emotion.

I recall the Occupy movement several years ago. The movement plateaued in the fall driven by youthful emotion. All of this general angst distracted these people from the real reasons they felt the way they did. Then the emotion faded as soon as the season changed. The movement lost momentum. Since then income inequality has continued growing as the 1% get richer.

Do you think my emotion and personal attacks on individuals is detrimental? Should I base my opinion on only logic instead?

Last edited:
That's fucked. If the guy selling was in a rental home does that mean the same thing can happen to the owners of that home?

So clearly wrong.
Very angering to read this shit.
But I believe that the"war on drugs" is coming to an end, and this kind of this is commonly seen as wrong.
People will stand up, more and more, realizing that everything about this "war" is bullshit.

That's fucked. If the guy selling was in a rental home does that mean the same thing can happen to the owners of that home?

Theoretically yes, I believe, but I don't think it works like that in the real world.

There's more money to be made off of victimizing individuals and their families versus small business owners who can afford proper legal defense.

This is truly fucked up fuck the police and governments can't shit get any clearer their fuckin with us.

they could almost certainly sue and get it back, but they also almost certainly can't afford to do that

civil asset forfeiture is just another way the government has come up with to steal from people, which is what governments have always done throughout history. fact of life, i guess

they could almost certainly sue and get it back, but they also almost certainly can't afford to do that

civil asset forfeiture is just another way the government has come up with to steal from people, which is what governments have always done throughout history. fact of life, i guess

The beauty behind victimizing the poor: they can't afford justice.
"And justice for all" ...if the price is right