• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Paranoia and anxiety (Parents)

Broly

Greenlighter
I used to be a heavy smoker with no anxiety symptoms I loved the herb and treated it with the upmost respect. Until my parents found out about my hobby which never interfered negatively with my life. My dad did not take it badly he understood I wanted to try it but he doesnt support the idea of me smoking while I live under his roof which I understand , he even said he doesnt care If I smoke in my mid twenties or when I move out. My mom took it to heart and had a break down , she seriously acted like it was meth , she thought I was ruining my life and all this bullshit. She even was talking about suicide which really scared me , Idk if she would or not But i stopped for a month and a half. The next time I smoked I had a really bad high , a derealization type high and I was so scared of getting in trouble and getting my priviliges taken away. A bad shroom trip later and this same anxiety , a little derealization , and fear of getting roped I had to quit. I am 2 and a half months sober and all my friends smoke , the derealization really stems from me getting my car taken away or getting in trouble with them and being stuck in my house all the time.

My dad even said he would hand me over to the cops if he caught me again , and he would try and find out who was supplying me which is really fucked up and sketch.

So idk if I should smoke anymore , and if I do how can I overcome this fear of them. I understand I am 17 but weed for me is a hobby I really miss , I get good grades and I prioritize my life so I dont know why I cant smoke like all my other friends. I get its there house and all that jazz but it seems so radical and extreme to me , If i was failing and had no direction I would understand....

Idk If i should try kratom instead , at least that wont show up in tests unless its an opiate test I suppose.

Honestly, if I had never smoked weed a bunch when I was younger.

Probably wouldn't have moved on to recreational opiates, dope addiction, etc and would definitely have made much more progress in my life.

Everything was fine for years (good grades, etc) and was also fine my first and second year of college... then I just really started fucking up hard and ended up doing opiates all the time, getting addicted, etc.

Looking back, not worth it.
If I could go back in time I would definitely have done things differently.

So take whatever you want from that.

Anyway with the situation with tour parents-- I definitely wouldn't be able to enjoy a weed high with that kind of shit going in.
I definitely don't advise you do kratom or other opioid agonists either.

I'd just stick to the mushrooms and psychedelics... Those are the only drugs I've never had any negative consequences from.

in the end it really is all about your relationship with your parents. thats the shit thing about being a teen under your parents roof, they still get to make rules. my best bet would be trying to negotiate with them you know, see stuff like 'see dad i get good grades, dont stay all day sitting on the couch smoking weed' you know prove you're a good kid.

i wouldn't try kratom man wtf, opiates are serious shit compared to weed

also if you stay that long away from weed your tolerance will lower and you'll get high as shit when you smoke it again, hence the derealization and paranoia. i've had it myself. if you intend to start smoking weed again you'll have to slowly raise your tolerance.

Yea I was a dumbass each time I started smoking again. First time after 1 and a half month break I smoked 2 or 3 bowls of some fire and was hella high , really weird trippy one to. After a 2 week break , I then smoked dabs got a little acclamated then smoked 4 dabs of blue dream and was in another world. I just need to vercome the fear of gettin in trouble somehow , getting the cops called on me is some serious shit. Well Ive got over many addictions Ive had , so Im a strong willed person , kratom didnt seem like a problem , plus its an opiod not an opiate.

I'm with your parents on this one. Not specifically how they acted, but the principle: if you live under their roof, you live under their rules.

Honestly, don't worry about the police. If you come home high, and your dad calls the cops, they won't do anything if you don't have weed on you. Being high isn't illegal. Don't tell them where you get it from, but also don't be disrespectful at the same time. Actually, if your mom is threatening suicide, the cops will probably take her to be institutionalized (which would actually be good, because hearing your parent talk like that is scary as shit, she's really not allowed to threaten her own life like that to get you to stop doing something)

Just don't bring weed into their house. You're seventeen. Tell them you're going to smoke weed if you want, but you'll never bring it into their house/smoke in their house. Sit down and talk to them about it, why you do it, and explain that you've got it under control.

My parents are fine with smoking weed, but I ordered kratom to my house once and they nearly disowned me. I told them it's natural, like weed, and it's for making tea. And they gave me a big ole' NOPE

Salutations everybody,

Isn't that moving when we read these stories related to minors (less than 18 yrs old in my province) and there's not much that can be done to comfort them, not even here! IMO that's why teenagers should have their own dedicated corner, as THAT is one category worth its own section if you ask me... At least lets consider offering these young persons a place to gather so they can express some moral support towards each other, since we're under an ethical obligation to accept whatever the adult parent(s) have decided.

There's some "Harm Reduction" content possible in other cases where no under-age individual happens to be involved while i fail to see it in such a grey-shade area, being forced to desist & refrain from expressing personal opinions on the young guy's education which the parent(s) are responsible to provide. Well, it's tempting but i won't, just won't.

Good day everyone.

Salutations everybody,

Isn't that moving when we read these stories related to minors (less than 18 yrs old in my province) and there's not much that can be done to comfort them, not even here! IMO that's why teenagers should have their own dedicated corner, as THAT is one category worth its own section if you ask me... At least lets consider offering these young persons a place to gather so they can express some moral support towards each other, since we're under an ethical obligation to accept whatever the adult parent(s) have decided.

There's some "Harm Reduction" content possible in other cases where no under-age individual happens to be involved while i fail to see it in such a grey-shade area, being forced to desist & refrain from expressing personal opinions on the young guy's education which the parent(s) are responsible to provide. Well, it's tempting but i won't, just won't.

Good day everyone.
Sorry but I fail to see how a bunch of teenagers getting together in their own dedicated corner of bluelight bitching about how they hate their parents cause they don't want them to do drugs could possibly go over well.. (Im not saying that this is what you are doing specificly broly, fyi)
The way it works now is likely just fine, getting advice from a majority of experienced, knowledgeable and (hopefuly) matured adults.

And on topic,
honestly.. There's not much you can do really untill you move out. The threat or fear of getting caught is always going to be lingering unless they specificly say that they give up and let you do it (That's kinda what happened to me and I'm glad. not cause i just wanted to do drugs, but it helped reinforce the fact that my parents just cared about my well being; and not just a desire to controll my life.)
The only other way around it is to just start not giving a fuck, but that's a bad bad road to take. It's good that you have a healthy amount of fear for your parents authority since if you let that go, you would start to diminish into a delinquent in no time.
You're 17. This means you only will have about a year left of highschool and you will be capable to start making plans to live your own life in your own house on your own terms.
Unfourtunately, most aren't lucky enough to have their cake and eat it too, so if you were planning on staying at your parents place through college or whatever, you are going to have to decide if marijuana is worth the hassle since you would not be able to live rent free under their roof.

Try to rebuild your relationship with your parents. Show them that marijuana doesn't define you as a person. Try to talk to them cassualy about it, not in a "Let me do what i want!" Kind of way, but as a debateable discussion.

To be honest dude you're better off not smoking weed until you are a bit older. During puberty a process called axonal pruning starts. It basically means that your brain starts getting rid of excessive connections you build up during childhood. This doesn't mean you are getting dumber, it's just the brain organizing itself to work more efficiently by gettin rid of connections that don't serve any purpose. A recent study has shown that repeated use of cannabis during adolescence increases the amount of axonal pruning. This means you lose more connections than you should, whether this equates to making you dumber or not is unclear. But the researchers did show that the excess pruning is related to the development of schizophrenia in those vulnerable to it.

But the researchers did show that the excess pruning is related to the development of schizophrenia in those vulnerable to it.

....and now I'm in full-blown hypochondriasis, thinking I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. Thanks St3ve.

Fuck, man, I'm probably both, and I've got this really bad cough, too....

I'm pretty much in the exact same situation as you (except my dad doesn't know) but my mum pretty much reacted the same way... she brought the dipsticks and everything, i hid one of my lighters INSIDE a fluffy pillow and she still managed to find it haha. Anyway, i quit smoking for about 2 months because of the paranoia of being caught out in a test, however I was bored one day and found a way to fool the cannabis home test (there are quite a few well-known ways). She hasn't tested me since, but if she does i'm pretty sure i can fake a negative so that got rid off most of my paranoia.

Since it seems like you have strong willpower, i'd say you could narrow it down to toking on rare occasions- you'd probably get more work done and save money lol plus your paranoia will reduce... but if these issues don't bother you that much, or if you're like me (i have pretty crap willpower) and can't give up the herb for said amounts of time then just keep the shit you do that's associated with the mary outside of your parent's house. I guess it all depends on how much privacy your parents give you (i.e. if they go through your things or go into your room alot) my mum tends to go into my room alot and sometimes does a quick tidy up when i'm not home. So if the paranoia is bugging you bad, then i'd say keep your stuff like grinder, lighter, papers etc. outside hidden somewhere (yes, the struggle is real) or at a friend's house. As for the bud itself, just buy the amounts you need to smoke without brining any or much of it home (if it's small, you can just hide it inside or outside) but as you said you're a heavy smoker, you'd probably need to cut the amount you smoke down for this or keep your shit at a friend's house (that person would have to be loyal as fuck to not smoke all your dank=D) or like i said, if you have privacy, just hide it well... oh and don't come home stoned and smelling of the good, unless they're oblivious or you're v. good at hiding it.

but yeah, all in all i'd say cut down the amount you smoke to an occasional basis or once a week or something, let things calm down with your parents, always have back up plans or excuses for situations that could happen with your parents (helps alot when you're paranoid and stoned) and keep it out of your house as much as you can... see how things go.

Goodluck! xo

Last edited:
(that person would have to be loyal as fuck to not smoke all your dank=D)

but yeah, all in all i'd say cut down the amount you smoke to an occasional basis or once a week or something, let things calm down with your parents, always have back up plans or excuses for situations that could happen with your parents (helps alot when you're paranoid and stoned) and keep it out of your house as much as you can... see how things go.

Goodluck! xo

My fuckhead friends ALWAYS smoked mine when I left it in their possession.
Every time
At the best of times they would leave me just enough for us to have a session next time we met up. lol.. Fuckers.. I was too damned nice about it and always said they could have SOME for the trouble of keeping it (not much trouble for them but it would be huge for me if i brought it in the house) but I didn't mean they could have all of it!!!
To top it off, I was one of the only ones who had a job, so who always bought?
This guy <-

As for having excuses.. Well honestly it could be possible that admitting it IF you are called out on it might not be so bad. Especialy if you say "Well.. Yeah I smoked, but I also smoked before and it's never raised any cause for alarm."
If they see that you can function while also toking from time to time; maybe it won't be so bad.
you already said your dad is neutral about it for adults, he is only being strict because he wants the best for you.
As for your mum. That one is a bit more concerning considering her threat of suicide.
I would talk to her about this. Show her you care about her but also make sure she knows how much stress that puts on you.

Here are a few tips ive aquired for hiding it.

Don't smoke joints. pipes do not leave as much lingering smell on your cloths or skin. Bongs might be ok but its iffy since you're putting so much of your face into the smoke
Try to stay outdoors (or do what I do currently and place a fan in the window facing outward, but it has to be an airtight seal so that the air doesnt just circulate back into the room. ) Here is a picture of what I use. There is a pillow on top and a shirt on the bottom to make it more sealed. It works really well. Even my partner (ex..) says that she can't even smell it unless she is in the room with me at the time
blow the smoke upwards and with the wind, not against it, and face the bowl so that any smoke coming out of it will get carried away from you
Wash your hands and face thouroughly before going home. It helps if you can brush your teeth too but you may have to settle with rinsing your mouth out and eating somthing to mask the smell in your mouth
avoid long sleeved shirts
eye drops
learning to act natural (but dont over compensate) and also waiting a period of time to come down before going home
be aware of when your parents will be out.
Keep up with school. Don't let your grades slip and try not to smoke at school (I did, im a bad fox. Most of my teachers actively didn't care though as long as I was not causing trouble or slacking off)
Stay tidy and hygenic. Shower regularily and try not to allow your room to become too messy. Do your chores.
Aquire a job/after school activities. This will show them that you have things to do with your time and will spend less time worrying about you going out to do drugs

Im sure there is more but those are the big ones :)

Chip, my man, I had something near-identical in my window when I lived with my parents. Only difference was mine was a table-top fan that I set on an end table that was level with my windowsill.

Still, though, those pillows and towels/blankets took me right down memory lane. That shit works so fucking perfectly, too. Granted, it's kind of conspicuous to have a fan in your window like that, but some parents just don't ask questions without hard evidence.

Good rule of thumb is not to rely on the fan to be effective at all if you've got 15-20+mph winds outside. That shit will fuck your day up if you're trying to smoke undercover.

Mind sharing a link to that study? Its interesting , so when does it end?

Good rule of thumb is not to rely on the fan to be effective at all if you've got 15-20+mph winds outside. That shit will fuck your day up if you're trying to smoke undercover.
On the contrary, I find that as long as there is another window open somewhere in your house (that isnt blocked by a door and allows low resistance airflow) wind won't affect the airflow since the outside air will be pushed through the other window since it would be the path of least resistance.
It works best if the other window is being battered by the wind directly, rather than say on the opposite side of the house.

But yes, this works so well, I wish I had thought of it when I was younger and living with my parents :p

It works best if the other window is being battered by the wind directly, rather than say on the opposite side of the house.

That's the key right there. I was assuming the only window open in the house would be the "smoke vent." When that's the case, all that wind comes pouring through the fan in reverse. I remember countless times having to watch the leaves outside as I was holding in hits to make sure a strong gust wasn't about to blow the second I exhaled my hit into the backside of the fan. In all honesty, windy days have completely fucked over several Honeywell desktop fans of mine of the years, and a single Vornado-brand fan as well. Thankfully their cheap ones are still damn good and whisper quiet.