• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Panic attacks before meth use?

OffTheMFrails

Greenlighter
I stopped doing meth like 3 months ago, just to take a break cause I was going way to over board. 9 day stay up and a beautiful baker act with psychosis involved :) anyway it’s about that time. Every since then I give myself massive panic attacks right before I attempt to use. Any tips on how to relax and just do it 😂 i scared myself into thinking I’ll immediately die. Lol I’ve been using meth for quite a bit of time and I’m sitting here like googling how to calm myself. But if anyone knows best it’s you guys. If anything I’m not scared of doing cocaine 🤷‍♂️ Wish me luck.

Hey OffTheMFrails, sorry to hear you're getting panicky! :confused:

Tbh if it was me, I'd probably take advantage of the panic to convince myself to NOT use the meth, as that's like an anti-addiction trigger you've got going on there and I'd welcome being able to control my use.

But I can appreciate how frustrating it must be if you really want to do meth.

Probably the best way to overcome panics is to talk to yourself, think through what's causing the irrational emotional overreaction, and meditate away those panic thoughts/feelings.

Definitely don't do meth while you're panicking though, or you're likely to make things worse.

If you want some good stuff on meditation and/or guided meditations, I would recommend YouTube.

Best of luck!

Only panic attack before meth use is when i get message "sorry, but come tommorow" :D

But man, 9 days without sleep is way long. Maybe your panic attack is just some kind of subconscious mechanism that prevents you to do something like this again.

I get sort of the same thing if im waiting on a bag and my tolerance is way down like after a decent break, but for the opposite reason as yours. Its more of an anxious excitement lol.
You get those horrible butterflies in your gut.

I'm the same way but the issue now is shits hard af to find anymore since my guy went to jail and the shit in Philly is garbage overpriced and just not worth it

I also have this strange thing where before i use i start to get anxious and start to overthink like how is my body going to handle this, will my heart just stop, will i have a stroke, and i end up freaking myself out. the rest of the high is basically just anxiety and overthinking. but when i do use and im not worried about dying or overamping, my high is really nice and i enjoy myself. but yeah seems the last couple months its just smoking and then more anxiety. i will say this, i wont touch meth if i dont have a back up of benzos on standby. life savers in situations like this. ( i know this is a hate or love it drug .but sereqouel helps me with sleep and not tweaking. if im done with my session. some sereqoeul and benzos and im calm and sleeping in 40 minutes.

Well I'll tell you what NOT to do.... benzos. Benzos and meth are the most dangerous combination of drugs in my experience. you have all the energy in the world from the meth but none of the anxiety that would normally stop you from doing stupid shit. It might be tempting as the anxiety and panic from meth seems like it would be relieved from some xanax but its a recipe from disaster. I've almost lost a job doing this once... and I almost lost my license another time. Really... its best not to do meth at all but if you have to... try a nice walk to calm you anxiety or maybe a foot bath with a cup of tea. IDK. Whatever works for you.

I’ve found the same the same thing and it’s due to a fear of going into a psychosis which has happened before. I’ve found the only thing that eases it up is time and some experiences that aren’t so scary and threatening feeling with the same substance to mitigate the paranoia. If it’s not possible to relax a bit going into it it’s probably time for a break until further notice.

Meth is such a shitty drug sometimes. I’m starting to think the best answer is just don’t do it for most anyone. Easier said than done though, 92% relapse rate. So many of us here have similar issues with it, it’s not fun at all when it’s anything but a smooth ride and those become further and further few as time goes by..

I’ve found the same the same thing and it’s due to a fear of going into a psychosis which has happened before. I’ve found the only thing that eases it up is time and some experiences that aren’t so scary and threatening feeling with the same substance to mitigate the paranoia. If it’s not possible to relax a bit going into it it’s probably time for a break until further notice.

Meth is such a shitty drug sometimes. I’m starting to think the best answer is just don’t do it for most anyone. Easier said than done though, 92% relapse rate. So many of us here have similar issues with it, it’s not fun at all when it’s anything but a smooth ride and those become further and further few as time goes by..
I absolutely love smoking in the morning after I wake up, this is when I'm least anxious, no worries about problems or panic. Though I have a thing about night time in general, my anxiety always just peaks at night, with or without drugs...

I see this sort of issue and it always confuses me. For me, pot is a crazy heavy drug that fucks me out of my tree from just a tiny bit. I don't mean in a good way either. Severe anxiety, can't talk right, can't think straight, pained tension throughout my body, confused state amplifying anxiety. When I even smell pot, I immediately begin to panic, it's just a trigger but then fearful thoughts follow, compounding the anxiety--what if there is enough in the air to affect me. My solution is I don't do pot and try to not be around people using pot. It was an elegant solution, I hate pot so I don't put it inside me.

But I meet people ALL the time, like its one of the most common types of stimulant user I meet. The devoted users of crack/coke and meth. The people who are hooked on the stuff, all their energies, fuel for finding money for it. When they get it, they're wound up tight as anything--anticipation, you would think, I get that from coke, my whole body starts acting up with fevered excitement--but its not that, they're more agitated, tense, with a hair-triggered temper going on. Then they smoke or shoot, and blammo: sweet, sweet victory? nope. The world comes to a screaming halt. Everyone has to be silent, if you make a sound, you get hissed into silence. Then, they strain, listening vigilantly for any and all danger that could be apon us at any moment--in their minds. Sometimes it's cops they fear, or enemies, or people who would steal their dope or, weirdest of all, just that someone somewhere will hear them and know what we're up to. they stare pie-eyed at windows or doors, or the sliver of light under the door. Sometimes they want the door covered, or they have fits if the curtains aren't nailed down with no sliver of light getting through. I've met some who assume, a kind of global rictus state, and they perch in awkward poses, locked in rigid statue stillness, eyes tearfully wide, petrified in fear. And there is never anything that can soothe or calm or reassure them that they are safe and no one is coming to get us. It is distressing to witness.

It's sad. It seems like such a terrible, terrifying ordeal. What is just baffling is that it is voluntary. The minute they begin to relax and loosen up, they set to doing up more dope, and revert to the terrorized state of panic. This is normal everyday routine for a lot of these guys. I can never figure out why they continue to use the drugs. Hallucinogens spazz me out so I don't use them. Loved them as a kid, can't handle them now, so, easy solution, they aren't on my menu. I don't understand being addicted to cowering in abject fear, where every sound is an agony of terror. That is an odd thing to get hooked on.

I'm wondering in a similar fashion here. If using meth produces experiences such that now the idea of taking meth triggers panic, is it really a desirable drug anymore? Does it have some payoff that outweighs panic attacks? I know some things are a trade. The older I get, the worse I pay for getting drunk--nasty painful hangovers with anxious depressed moods. I drink way less than before, but sometimes I'm willing to pay the drunk toll. Is it like that? I know we make trade-offs that wouldn't make sense to non-users. I do without most material things because I devote most of my budget to substances. I'm generally comfortable with that. There have been times I get fed up with that cost or some intangible cost and then I drop the habit, sometimes for months, sometimes for years, until a time comes along that the cost benefit ratio becomes acceptable again. I figure everyone has their individual math for such accounting, and each person's is valid and deserves to be treated as such; I don't think there should ever be shame around using. All the same, it is confusing to an uncomfortable degree watching people maintain habits that seem to only deliver negatives.

insights anyone?

I see this sort of issue and it always confuses me. For me, pot is a crazy heavy drug that fucks me out of my tree from just a tiny bit. I don't mean in a good way either. Severe anxiety, can't talk right, can't think straight, pained tension throughout my body, confused state amplifying anxiety. When I even smell pot, I immediately begin to panic, it's just a trigger but then fearful thoughts follow, compounding the anxiety--what if there is enough in the air to affect me. My solution is I don't do pot and try to not be around people using pot. It was an elegant solution, I hate pot so I don't put it inside me.

But I meet people ALL the time, like its one of the most common types of stimulant user I meet. The devoted users of crack/coke and meth. The people who are hooked on the stuff, all their energies, fuel for finding money for it. When they get it, they're wound up tight as anything--anticipation, you would think, I get that from coke, my whole body starts acting up with fevered excitement--but its not that, they're more agitated, tense, with a hair-triggered temper going on. Then they smoke or shoot, and blammo: sweet, sweet victory? nope. The world comes to a screaming halt. Everyone has to be silent, if you make a sound, you get hissed into silence. Then, they strain, listening vigilantly for any and all danger that could be apon us at any moment--in their minds. Sometimes it's cops they fear, or enemies, or people who would steal their dope or, weirdest of all, just that someone somewhere will hear them and know what we're up to. they stare pie-eyed at windows or doors, or the sliver of light under the door. Sometimes they want the door covered, or they have fits if the curtains aren't nailed down with no sliver of light getting through. I've met some who assume, a kind of global rictus state, and they perch in awkward poses, locked in rigid statue stillness, eyes tearfully wide, petrified in fear. And there is never anything that can soothe or calm or reassure them that they are safe and no one is coming to get us. It is distressing to witness.

It's sad. It seems like such a terrible, terrifying ordeal. What is just baffling is that it is voluntary. The minute they begin to relax and loosen up, they set to doing up more dope, and revert to the terrorized state of panic. This is normal everyday routine for a lot of these guys. I can never figure out why they continue to use the drugs. Hallucinogens spazz me out so I don't use them. Loved them as a kid, can't handle them now, so, easy solution, they aren't on my menu. I don't understand being addicted to cowering in abject fear, where every sound is an agony of terror. That is an odd thing to get hooked on.

I'm wondering in a similar fashion here. If using meth produces experiences such that now the idea of taking meth triggers panic, is it really a desirable drug anymore? Does it have some payoff that outweighs panic attacks? I know some things are a trade. The older I get, the worse I pay for getting drunk--nasty painful hangovers with anxious depressed moods. I drink way less than before, but sometimes I'm willing to pay the drunk toll. Is it like that? I know we make trade-offs that wouldn't make sense to non-users. I do without most material things because I devote most of my budget to substances. I'm generally comfortable with that. There have been times I get fed up with that cost or some intangible cost and then I drop the habit, sometimes for months, sometimes for years, until a time comes along that the cost benefit ratio becomes acceptable again. I figure everyone has their individual math for such accounting, and each person's is valid and deserves to be treated as such; I don't think there should ever be shame around using. All the same, it is confusing to an uncomfortable degree watching people maintain habits that seem to only deliver negatives.

insights anyone?

What a buzzkill

Hey off the rails! I totally understand how you could develop a little bit of apprehension with Methamphetamine. Truthfully, I think if you were committed to a psych ward last time, it might not be for you.

It's like me with Alcohol. If I have a drink all bets are off. I'll go till I cant stand. I know what it's like.

As far as remaining calm, there are a lot of different routes that you can go. You can try medication like Clonidine (Catapres) to reduce your heart rate and lower your BP a little bit. This should translate into a feeling of reduced tension. Clonidine is great because it is easy to get and non-habit forming.

These days there are a ton of different apps available on your phone for just this purpose. I know it might seem kind of lame, but some deep breathing exercises and meditation might help relax you.

Speaking of apps, there are also apps dedicated to more serious interventions like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. We have established that you get anxiety when about to use Methamphetamine. Perhaps doing some deep digging and organizing your thoughts will be helpful.

I recommend against strong sedatives like Benzodiazepines. Your issue seems to be transient and only for a few minutes, so powerful stuff is probably going overboard.

Anyway, maybe take some Clonidine, do some deep breathing and try to figure out why exactly this is happening now when it previously didnt.

Exertion could help with pre-dosing anxiety. Just a brief but somewhat intense kind of exercise or activity. It will increase the flow of oxygen to your brain, which produces calm and confidence. It generates endorphins which brings on some euphoria and a mild narcotic sensation in the body. Exercise reduces stress hormones. The deeper breathing that comes with exertion also promotes calmness

It will also loosen you up--anxiety makes people rigid and tense; that kind of posture just by itself creates a feedback effect because your brain receives the message there is danger and then you stress more. Just as anxious ideation produces physical symptoms, those physical symptoms, like sweat, tense shoulders, or crossed arms, can trigger anxious feelings and thoughts. A more relaxed body sends the brain a message that everything is safe and ok.

Other little things that can disrupt anxiety and fearful thoughts: smile and look upwards. Laugh vigorously--doesn't matter if it is a fake laugh. Make silly faces and/or silly noises. It is hard to remain anxious when you behave in an opposite manner. Sounds iffy, but it is true.

These kinds of remedies don't have rebound after effects the way chemical remedies often do.

All that said, if you are becoming anxious about using, it may mean you are at very least ambivalent about it. It may be worth paying attention to, rather than going forward with it just because its the normal routine.

I stopped doing meth like 3 months ago, just to take a break cause I was going way to over board. 9 day stay up and a beautiful baker act with psychosis involved :) anyway it’s about that time. Every since then I give myself massive panic attacks right before I attempt to use. Any tips on how to relax and just do it 😂 i scared myself into thinking I’ll immediately die. Lol I’ve been using meth for quite a bit of time and I’m sitting here like googling how to calm myself. But if anyone knows best it’s you guys. If anything I’m not scared of doing cocaine 🤷‍♂️ Wish me luck.
I actually had a panic attack right before I took a wondrous hit of crack. The way I got through it (and most of my anxiety attacks) it’s touching 10 inanimate objects (unless you have a pet that helps a lot too). That method is supposed ground yourself - by touching these objects, it’s doing 2 things.1) It’s kind of tricking you body/mind into taking the anxiety attack away or distracting your mind and 2) it’s grounding yourself to know that you are where you’re supposed to be - albeit in your car, burrow/house/flat.

There isn’t a lot of meth here where I am, occasionally I get a crack/coke mix with meth.... but when I was in New Mexico, literary in the middle of nowhere, I ended up finding some at some random bar, I don’t think it was that good :unsure: since it was my second time trying it and the chick that ended up coming back to the house we rented told me it was (I hot railed the first time in FL, and the last time I smoked it).

maybe it’s time to switch back coke/crack/freebase?

hope that tip with your anxiety helps, if not maybe it’s a sign to switch back what was mentioned above.

please excuse grammatical errors, I am flying pretty high right now.

I absolutely love smoking in the morning after I wake up, this is when I'm least anxious, no worries about problems or panic. Though I have a thing about night time in general, my anxiety always just peaks at night, with or without drugs...

same here bro, my anxiety is gets so bad at night, I have to take 2mg of alprazolam just to settle myself so I can at least focus on the TV. I have a whole bunch of different things I can do and was taught how to deal with but once night time hits, after I take my med there is only one or 2 things that work - I certain meditation technique, and crossing my arms over my chest and breathing to the rhythm as Hi alter hands tapping each side of my chest.

I experience the same thing. Except I am not worried about anything, but many of the symptoms of panic/anxiety hit me right before I use. I honestly think in a way it is a priming of the body to get it ready for the drug.
It's hard to focus, my hands are clammy, I get really cold, I start sweating, my heart starts racing, I have to poo, etc. It's pretty awful.

I experience the same thing. Except I am not worried about anything, but many of the symptoms of panic/anxiety hit me right before I use. I honestly think in a way it is a priming of the body to get it ready for the drug.
It's hard to focus, my hands are clammy, I get really cold, I start sweating, my heart starts racing, I have to poo, etc. It's pretty awful.

That may be anticipation not panic. I get some of those signs whenever i thought I was getting crack for sure. its wanting something so bad your body just lets go.

A few years ago I would get set into a panic mode after doing a shot and I would sit there and think about my “symptoms”. Often times I went to the er thinking I was dying just to find out I’m really high. I’ve always had some sort of anxiety but what helps me now when I start to feel scared of whatever is that I just let go. If I die I die. Nothing is gonna stop that. But when I let go I can enjoy my high and those anxiety induced symptoms go away. Your mind is powerful. Utilize it. Every dog has his day make peace with it