• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Oxymetazoline

wungchow

Bluelighter
220px-Oxymetazoline_structure.png

oxymetazoline is found in nasal sprays like Afrin. I've heard a lot about the stimulant/sympathomimetic properties of oxymetazoline. I wonder, if all the organic cabbage on the phenyl group were removed, would this compound be a pure amphetamine-like stimulant?

^ organic cabbage on the phenyl group

i am not familiar with that scientific terminology ;) =D

it only vaguely resembles PEA/AMPH and while you can find a PEA skeleton in there there is a lot going on otherwise, but yes one can relate it in some way as within the amphetamine class, but in the broadest sense

the compound i'm referring to is attached below.

It vaguely resembles aminorex or fenproporex.

Attachments

• metazoline.gif
    metazoline.gif
    2 KB · Views: 136
I've always wondered if derivatives of oxymetazoline might yield decent stimulants.

I've never seen anyone suggest oxymetazoline has stimulant properties itself. I'm assuming we're talking less than caffeine, no?

What if one :
-methylate the phenol to methoxy?
- hydrogenate the C=N?

Dunno tho

this shit is addictive....the rebound effects form long term use are absolutely insane. i was using it everyday becaus ei was abusing my nose and once i stopped i coudnt breath for a solid week.

i noticed that towards the end of when i was hooked on the stuff it made me feel weird and jittery. i woudl have to do a bunch of blasts to open my nose up and could feel this weird fuzzy feeling all over my head. that stuff is the devil.

Pomzazed said:
What if one :
-methylate the phenol to methoxy?
- hydrogenate the C=N?

Dunno tho

Hydrogenation of the imidazoline does not lead to anything stable. As soon as some water was present I am pretty sure it would spontaneously decompose to give ethylenediamine and the phenylacetaldehyde. What happened next would depend on the conditions...

... As soon as some water was present I am pretty sure it would spontaneously decompose ...

What if it was immediately dissolved in oil?

...BTW, it used to be used in eyedrops, too, and during a recent severe eye infection I had, I had used almost a whole bottle of them, bought some years back, in one day, stimulating, yes, and even nearly euphoric. I'd like to know why its not still used in eyedrops, though, hate to think I might get eye cancer or something...

please forgive me for digging this out, but i have to add my 2 cents.

Oxymetazoline is still found in the Long Lasting Workplace Relief Visine. The yellow ones.

mulberryman, i don't know if i read past your sarcasm, but i do not believe your euphoric part ;) I used to sniff that stuff when i was out of Nasal decongestant, and it sure cleaned out my nose. The drip made me barf violently though, so i never used it for the replacement again.

Just thought i throw that out here.

I can obtain Tolazoline, which is a derivative of this thing. It's in the same class as clonidine and what is Tenex/Intuniv XR (the resrt of the world finally had Tenex, as Intuniv for ADD:Innatentive mostly, like clonidine is used sometimes. Of course Canada with its recent obsession of only approving XR/XL/ER/SR drugs only approved guafanacine as all day pills, and the fact there is no IR, I can't have Tenex/Intinuv instead of clonidine, which is much more superior to clonidine when it comes to fighting side effects from opiates/opiate tapering.

So, what's the point of having this sold, Oxymetazoline, which OP said could be like a Dexedrine...? Colour me confused.Time to go eat some ribs and chicken wings. I'm curious that there is no Tolazoline thread.