• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe OxyContin to bupe & life thereafter

Crick74

Greenlighter
I have a question for anyone that has been using Suboxone for a long period of time, please. This is my first post here. Just a quick background on myself…..I’m 47 and throughout my life have always enjoyed using drugs but I’ve never been one to overdo, love smoking weed, love speed, was once a heavy drinker but have it up, and then came opioids. I first started taking percocets after a surgery and this was back in 2004 before the shit hit the fan regarding pain meds. I kept taking them for years bc I was prescribed them by my dr for legitimate reasons, they helped me ease pain. Then I injured my spine and had surgery. After that I went from three percs a day to OxyContin 120mg a day w 3 10mg Oxys for breakthrough pain. So around 150mg oxycodone a day, for ten years now. Every day. Here’s the thing and I’m being honest….I never took them in a way that was different than what was directed. I never considered myself to be ‘high’. I just felt normal. But able to function. And yes, I would say I maybe felt a bit good, in the sense that I just felt like doing normal life stuff, like playing w my kids. But never have I been ‘intoxicated’ or nodding or what I would consider impaired or high. I’m used to it. 150 mg oxy is just the normal day for me. I recently lost my dr bc he got his license suspended, so I’m left in a predicament. He literally has ghosted 200 patients. I’m one of them. I’m considering doing suboxone treatment bc I don’t know if I can bear sitting in front of another pain management Dr again that doesn’t know me, trying to explain myself and my future being left to his discretion. My guess is that most would want to reduce my daily amount. So, someone like me who doesn’t necessarily care about getting high or having a huge buzz, will I be disappointed on the suboxone? I know I’ve read great reviews but most of those reviews are from folks saying it has saved their lives and that’s awesome. Even though I’ve never abused opioids I am very dependent on that daily dose and for a very long time. I think if I had to go off it I would be at a high risk for abusing something but having it I have been able to respect it and be content w what I have and use it as prescribed. So I would like some advice please. Is suboxone a possibly good choice for me or will that not be enough? I’m considering it bc it would be much easier for me to obtain than trying to find a new Dr to continue my oxy treatment, which I’ve thus far being able to get bc I’m in pain management and have serious issues w my spine but I’m finding more and more doctors are becoming hesitant to prescribe this. More or less I just wanna be happy and continue living wout feeling like my whole life has ended. Not seeking a high, just seeking the same old state of being content. Even though the oxy doesn’t get me high, I have no doubts that it makes me more into some things. It’s confusing…..I can’t really imagine who I’d be wout it. But not once have I ‘abused’ it or asked for more, I ran out early, or lost my script etc . I read these positive reviews on suboxone and I’m thinking realistically……this must offer some type of physical feeling of well being to work as well as it does. Or no? Would just love some insight from people who have maybe been in similar situations. Thanks so much in advance!

I wish someone would have responded to this because I am in the same boat and I'm unsure on bupe dosage. I don't trust my doctor has my best interest in mind.

If you are not seeking a high and if life seems unbearable then yes I think you should probably look into methadone or suboxone.

For me as an oxy addict, when I finally said fuck it I need to try subs bc of supply & demand issues and finances..I couldn't believe how much better my over all health has become, as long as I don't push the subs past 3 or 4mg I do not feel like a numbed out zombie and actually just feel normal which is way better than waking up sick every morning.

Is your pain still debilitating? I would say give it some time because oxy and pain meds can make your body feel as if it's in pain in order for you to please it (psychological shit)

If you need pain relief there's no question you should choose methadone instead of buprenorphine.

If you go to get on methadone you better do it now while the oxy is still in your system.

I tried to get on once and I had not done opiates for a week so they were outta my system and hey basically told me to come back when I had dope in my system.

But originally I had gone from 400mg oxy a day to 24mg subs a day and I felt great, I've been on subs for almost 15 years now.

I wish someone would have responded to this because I am in the same boat and I'm unsure on bupe dosage. I don't trust my doctor has my best interest in mind.
I can respond as I have been through almost the exact same thing.
I was on subutex which is same thing as suboxone minus the added naloxone .
I took it for 6 years . I was like the op and was taking pills prescribed by Dr.
It definitely gave me that well being that made my daily life feel NOT like such a huge struggle and it helped my back pain. I never felt super high but it can be achieved. I took it like prescribed and it took away the cravings and I started feeling better everyday. It was fairly easy getting as I did a slow year long taper until I didn't feel any need anymore. Been off opiates including subs for 6 years now and never even think about taking any. I don't ever want that monkey on my back again .. lmk if you questions 😁

Hey @Crick74

I'll first give you a belated welcome to our little house of horrors. I hope you've found some useful information thus far. I'm hoping I can give you some more.

I will be blunt in saying I've never met a person who once had a high tolerance for Opioids use Buprenorphine (Suboxone; Subutex) for pain effectively. There are a lot of people who find Buprenorphine to be effective for their pain. This generally implies little previous experience with Opioids.

For that matter, I've met very few people with pain for whom Methadone Maintenance affords them meaningful pain relief. I am unsure of what the cause is for this. I have some theories. Many people at the clinic now got their start as chronic pain patients. They all say there was a time that theie Opioids adequately treated their pain. Their usage got away from them, they lost their script and had no alternative but the clinic. Why is over 100mg of Methadone a day not even touching their pain? I'm not sure.

I do think that the usefulness of Opioids can be garanteed for longer by safe and purposeful usage from day 1. Keeping the dose as low as humanly possible, experimenting with drug holidays etc. all seem to help. I'm not really sure what this is all about, but it's also not super-relevant.

However, you're also a little bit different in that most os here are addicts. Our experiences and advice are predicated on this assumption. You state not having a problem with excessive usage. This leads me to believe you might have the willpower necessary to make the jump.

I think it's possible that Buprenorphine could solve your problems. I am just unsure of what the possibility would be for success. You are not just wanting to be/remain clean and live a happy life, you also need to deal with the pain in order to live that life. That's a big caveat. I'd be more apt to recommend someone on a lower dose of Methadone than a higher dose of Buprenorphine for this reason. If you do decide to take a chance on either, my first choice on a personal level would be Methadone.