• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone withdrawal help

Gratefulone

Greenlighter

Hi everyone! I have been on prescription 10mg oxycodone 3 tid for three years and have decided I’m done! My tolerance is so high that it just no longer benefits my pain but I am getting bad withdrawals the next morning. I have prescription for 2 mg Valium, 100 mg gabapentin 3 tid and clonidine 0.1 mg. I also have a legit script for 50 mg Tramadol and wonder if the Tramadol will help with the cold turkey from the oxycodone or just prolong my withdrawal? Anyone?

the clonidine and gabapentin are good meds to assist. Valium is a bit iffy as it can become an addiction of its own.

Tramadol will make you feel better, but it is a mild opioid that can be metabolised into a stronger one. It's still an opioid, so it's not any different from using codeine or cimilar. It won;'t get you clean any faster.

Hello Grateful,

it is a good thing you are ready to call it quits, take hold of this feeling and embrace it.

The Valium, gabapentin And Clonidine is literally the gold Standard of opiate withdrawal detox medications. These are the medications any high priced detox facility would prescribe one of its patients.

Tramadol is also an opiate, like Oxycodone. It can be used to help with the withdrawals, but if you truly want to be off all Opiates, eventually you would also need to stop taking Tramadol as well. I think if you stop the Oxy and 2x your tramadol dose for a 5 days this could help you “beat” some of the symptoms.

Tramadol is odd though because it has SSRI like properties I have read (Anti Depressant) and can cause seizures in higher doses (400-600 mg). Don’t quote me on that that’s from the back of my brain.

But like i said, if you’re serious about getting off Oxy it will be a battle, you won’t sleep right for maybe 7 days, but with Valium GABA and Clonidine you are in the best possible position to quit Oxycodone.

Maybe slightly increase your doses while you get through the storm? Just know you may be short a few days for your month script unless you have extras stocked up.

Best of luck and G bless

the clonidine and gabapentin are good meds to assist. Valium is a bit iffy as it can become an addiction of its own.

Tramadol will make you feel better, but it is a mild opioid that can be metabolised into a stronger one. It's still an opioid, so it's not any different from using codeine or cimilar. It won;'t get you clean any faster.
I’m already dependent on 2 mg of Valium a day for the last year. My doctor wants me to begin tapering me off the benzo, so I want to get off the opiate while I am still on Valium so I am not tapering both medications at the same time. I’m thinking just go cold turkey while still prescribed Valium. I asked my doctor if I should go ahead and quit the oxycodone while still on Valium but she said no. I’ve heard it’s better to do the opiate first?

Hello Grateful,

it is a good thing you are ready to call it quits, take hold of this feeling and embrace it.

The Valium, gabapentin And Clonidine is literally the gold Standard of opiate withdrawal detox medications. These are the medications any high priced detox facility would prescribe one of its patients.

Tramadol is also an opiate, like Oxycodone. It can be used to help with the withdrawals, but if you truly want to be off all Opiates, eventually you would also need to stop taking Tramadol as well. I think if you stop the Oxy and 2x your tramadol dose for a 5 days this could help you “beat” some of the symptoms.

Tramadol is odd though because it has SSRI like properties I have read (Anti Depressant) and can cause seizures in higher doses (400-600 mg). Don’t quote me on that that’s from the back of my brain.

But like i said, if you’re serious about getting off Oxy it will be a battle, you won’t sleep right for maybe 7 days, but with Valium GABA and Clonidine you are in the best possible position to quit Oxycodone.

Maybe slightly increase your doses while you get through the storm? Just know you may be short a few days for your month script unless you have extras stocked up.

Best of luck and G bless
Thank you! I have stocked up and have split my Valium in half on days that are a bit easier.

Wow I didn't even know they made 2mg Valium pills lol. A 10mg Oxy habit is a tiny amount, CT'ing off that shouldn't be that much of an issue!

Hi everyone! I have been on prescription 10mg oxycodone 3 tid for three years and have decided I’m done! My tolerance is so high that it just no longer benefits my pain but I am getting bad withdrawals the next morning. I have prescription for 2 mg Valium, 100 mg gabapentin 3 tid and clonidine 0.1 mg. I also have a legit script for 50 mg Tramadol and wonder if the Tramadol will help with the cold turkey from the oxycodone or just prolong my withdrawal? Anyone?
Wow I didn't even know they made 2mg Valium pills lol. A 10mg Oxy habit is a tiny amount, CT'ing off that shouldn't be that much of an issue!
I was actually taking 30-40 mg a day and running out of script early

It's dependent on personal physiology and the dose. The textbooks will tell you that it only should help with gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea, gut hypermotility, maybe nausea too), but some people find that higher doses do provide some amount of relief from other symptoms too.

My understanding is that, because loperamide is an opioid agonist that doesn't entet the brain, taking loperamide is not very different from taking diphenoxylate or even morphine in terms of acctually resolving withdrawal symptoms - you can actually produce a sort of dependency/withdrawal by taking just loperamide, but taking it much too frequently (check the package insert).

Yes Loperamide can and does relieve most if not all of opioid WDs. You need to take a high enough dose for it to act centrally, that means necking back hand fulls of capsules! This may seem dangerous and it is in EXTREMELY high doses but if you keep ur dose sub-100mg per day and u only do this for only a few days then u should be fine. Normally when I'm in WDs which is exceedingly rare I'll take a loading dose of 80mg then 40mg every 12 hours given it's relatively long half-life, the dose will vary depending on ur opioid tolerance tho.

Last edited:
loper for me only helped with gi issues even at 100mg doses. it doesn't cross the bbb. the dea didn't accidentally miss a good drug.

It's dependent on personal physiology and the dose. The textbooks will tell you that it only should help with gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea, gut hypermotility, maybe nausea too), but some people find that higher doses do provide some amount of relief from other symptoms too.

My understanding is that, because loperamide is an opioid agonist that doesn't entet the brain, taking loperamide is not very different from taking diphenoxylate or even morphine in terms of acctually resolving withdrawal symptoms - you can actually produce a sort of dependency/withdrawal by taking just loperamide, but taking it much too frequently (check the package insert).

Lope is an odd one in that it technically crosses the BBB but then is bounced right back out as I understand it. I've seen many threads by addicts trying to work out how to make lope cross the BBB and stay there, but the consensus is it cannot be done.

As far as using it to help a rattle, I wouldn't bother taking silly doses because it's dangerous for your heart and won't help much more than regular doses anyway. Get the generic 2mg caps from any pharmacy and pop one or two day as you feel is needed and it will help the physical w/d.

Now @Gratefulone you are in a very lucky position here for a few reasons:
  • 30-40mg oxycodone per day is a very low dose relatively speaking. I don't say this to downplay your struggle, but rather to point out that many others have come off far higher doses (myself off a 300mg habit) and successfully stayed off. So you have a battle ahead of you, but you are getting off this train before you go too far, which is a good thing!
  • You have diazepam, gabapentin, clondine, and tramadol. As others have said, these are gold standard comfort meds that will do well to ease your withdrawals.
If you want my advice as someone who has come off oxy myself, the best plan of action is to drop your dose by 10mg per week, or if that's too much, make it 2 weeks. Whatever you are comfortable with. I recommend keeping to your current dosing schedule but just making your doses lower. For example if you take 10mg three times a day as per your script, you can try taking 10mg in the morning then 5mg in the afternoon and 5mg in the evening. That's just an example, you could take the 10mg at night instead if you find that helps you more. The main point is that keeping the doses spread the same as they usually are helps your body adjust easier.

The first drops will be easy. You may experience mild withdrawal but nothing too Trainspottingy. The final steps, especially the final jump where you stop the oxy altogether, will be the trickiest.

Do you have any spares you can dip into to temporarily increase your dose of gabapentin? I don't recommend upping your tramadol dose as this is counterproductive to coming off an opioid, but gabapentin and pregabalin are two of the best comfort meds around so use them! If you can save up some spares for when withdrawal really hits, you will thank yourself later trust me!

I would not worry too much about the diazepam. Yes benzos are addictive but you are literally on 2mg a day, this is nothing to worry about, at least not for the moment.

Oxy is definitely the one you want to focus on quitting so that's a smart move, do it at your own pace and make use of your comfort meds, this should be fairly mild as oxy withdrawal goes.

One more thing. If you happen to react well to cannabis (if it calms you instead of prangs you out) then it will also ease opioid withdrawal greatly without the risk of causing other addictions, so if you have that option do use it.

Final note: oxy withdrawal gets worse with each time you quit it. If this is the first time you're coming off it, it could actually end up being pretty painless. Don't let this lead you into a false sense of security thinking it'll always be like that (it won't) but this does work in your favour if you get off and stay off.

Apparently reacting propionyl chloride or anhydride with loperamide to alkylate the OH helps but the ppls stories of doing this still used about 32mg doses of the propylated stuff which is about the same as the non cooked dose so whether or not it does anything I'm not sure.propylating it makes it more like meperidine in structure.getting rid of that 4,chloro would probably help as well.

20mg loperamide 18-24 hrs after ur last dose. Then repeat for next 2 days.

Lope is an odd one in that it technically crosses the BBB but then is bounced right back out as I understand it. I've seen many threads by addicts trying to work out how to make lope cross the BBB and stay there, but the consensus is it cannot be done.

As far as using it to help a rattle, I wouldn't bother taking silly doses because it's dangerous for your heart and won't help much more than regular doses anyway. Get the generic 2mg caps from any pharmacy and pop one or two day as you feel is needed and it will help the physical w/d.

• 30-40mg oxycodone per day is a very low dose relatively speaking. I don't say this to downplay your struggle, but rather to point out that many others have come off far higher doses (myself off a 300mg habit) and successfully stayed off. So you have a battle ahead of you, but you are getting off this train before you go too far, which is a good thing!
  • You have diazepam, gabapentin, clondine, and tramadol. As others have said, these are gold standard comfort meds that will do well to ease your withdrawals.
If you want my advice as someone who has come off oxy myself, the best plan of action is to drop your dose by 10mg per week, or if that's too much, make it 2 weeks. Whatever you are comfortable with. I recommend keeping to your current dosing schedule but just making your doses lower. For example if you take 10mg three times a day as per your script, you can try taking 10mg in the morning then 5mg in the afternoon and 5mg in the evening. That's just an example, you could take the 10mg at night instead if you find that helps you more. The main point is that keeping the doses spread the same as they usually are helps your body adjust easier.

The first drops will be easy. You may experience mild withdrawal but nothing too Trainspottingy. The final steps, especially the final jump where you stop the oxy altogether, will be the trickiest.

Do you have any spares you can dip into to temporarily increase your dose of gabapentin? I don't recommend upping your tramadol dose as this is counterproductive to coming off an opioid, but gabapentin and pregabalin are two of the best comfort meds around so use them! If you can save up some spares for when withdrawal really hits, you will thank yourself later trust me!

I would not worry too much about the diazepam. Yes benzos are addictive but you are literally on 2mg a day, this is nothing to worry about, at least not for the moment.

Oxy is definitely the one you want to focus on quitting so that's a smart move, do it at your own pace and make use of your comfort meds, this should be fairly mild as oxy withdrawal goes.

One more thing. If you happen to react well to cannabis (if it calms you instead of prangs you out) then it will also ease opioid withdrawal greatly without the risk of causing other addictions, so if you have that option do use it.

Final note: oxy withdrawal gets worse with each time you quit it. If this is the first time you're coming off it, it could actually end up being pretty painless. Don't let this lead you into a false sense of security thinking it'll always be like that (it won't) but this does work in your favour if you get off and stay off.

Thank you, I think the p

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am a former IV H user (20 years free). I somehow let the snake back in while working a solid recovery program for all this time! I even went to school to become a counselor and aced every class but did not get my license. I know full well the monster but my addict mind took over and I let a physician prescribe me Oxy for psoriatic Arthritis! I think the psychological mind f&$?ck messes with me worse than the actual physical addiction. I had gone five days w/o Oxy and then my husband got his script filled (he has spinal stenosis). I dipped in again!🤬. After reading many posts and encouragement, I feel a lot better about having a solid plan. It’s Covid Quarantine so this timing could not be more of a blessing! Thank you for all of you who have encouraged me to stick with it! I’ll update you all after I’m done with this demon!

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am a former IV H user (20 years free). I somehow let the snake back in while working a solid recovery program for all this time! I even went to school to become a counselor and aced every class but did not get my license. I know full well the monster but my addict mind took over and I let a physician prescribe me Oxy for psoriatic Arthritis! I think the psychological mind f&$?ck messes with me worse than the actual physical addiction. I had gone five days w/o Oxy and then my husband got his script filled (he has spinal stenosis). I dipped in again!🤬. After reading many posts and encouragement, I feel a lot better about having a solid plan. It’s Covid Quarantine so this timing could not be more of a blessing! Thank you for all of you who have encouraged me to stick with it! I’ll update you all after I’m done with this demon!

Congrats on being 20 years clean of the smack! Compared to quitting that this will be a (socially distanced) walk in the park honestly. Best of luck!

And yeah it's hard to resist when opiates are offered to you even if you know it's not a smart idea. That's addiction for ya.

Thank you! I feel so much better now and with this type of support, I have been encouraged beyond words! Y’all are awesome!