• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone OP dose?

quetzalcoatle

Greenlighter
Hi all. Yesterday after (quite a lot) of research on here and forums like this I took my first ever dose of Oxycodone (XR, OP), first half a 20mg pill and then a few hours later after still not feeling much I took another quarter, making my total dose 15mg. Aside from having taken a low dose of Tramadol one time four years ago I am 100% opiate naive, and the consensus around here seemed to be that 15mg with no tolerance would definitely have me feeling something, but all I feel was a minor buzz and a little sleepiness. Is this due to the extended release nature of these pills? If so, what would be the suggested adjusted dose for first timer using Oxy OP? Thanks!

If you have never used opiates before I believe you selected a very strong one to start with.
I would kill (so to speak) to go back to where you are today. Opiates can F** up your life in so many different ways.
My suggestion is that you change to another medication or keep it very low.
Welcome to BL btw.

From the graphs I've seen, 2x the amount of Oxycontin gives the same peak plasma levels as the IR version. So if you wanted to take 10 mg of an instant release oxycodone, you would take 20 mg Oxycodone to get the same feel. But it will take longer to kick in though will also last a lot longer.

That said, my friends that don't take opiates often will take a 15 mg of an Oxy OP (quarter of a 60), chew it up, and they get a nice long buzz. I've heard the longer you chew, with plenty of spit, helps to release the meds even quicker.

I think I would be more comfortable taking a smaller, reasonable amount and chewing to release faster, than twice as much and hoping the release works right that matches the graphs. I don't think it's an issue really but some people process things differently. Plus some people get nauseous and itchy and might not want to have an extended amount of that. At least until you figure out how you handle it.

Be safe and work your way up if you are going to do it. And if it's something you are going to do, I strongly encourage you to only do it one day a week or less. You will quickly lose that awesome feeling as you build a tolerance and you will have to keep taking more and more to chase the feeling if you start doing it more than that. It feels great at first but you start getting a hollow, depressed feeling when you aren't using and then it gets it's claws in you so you get withdrawals and feel terrible. It's not worth it taking it more often. I promise!

With the OP's, you absorb half immediately, then 2 hours after initial dose, the last half is slowly absorbed. So with the dose you took, the initial onset was only 5mg..
I would go with 30mg, 1 and a half of your OP 20s. Can you get instant release?

- Hopeless Soul

No matter what, if you are taking Oxycodone for the first time, no matter if it is instant or extended release, it is better to take dose that is too small than a dose that is too big. So I think that the recommendation of around 15 mg oxycodone is a sound recommendation. Some persons would feel euphoria and sedation from 5 mg oxycodone the first time, and if they took 20 or 30 mg they would get nausea and other side effects.

What I am saying is, that it is better to take to little than too much. So the way you took your first oxycodone was the correct method, even though you might feel you didn't get much effect. Next time you know that you can handle 15 mg, and maybe attempt 20-30 mg instead.

Opioid naive persons really have to be careful with oxycodone. It can be dangerous to take oxycodone as the first experience with opiats. Codeine might be a more secure first time opiat. But if you do start with oxycodone, you started in the correct way with a careful dose.

Instant release oxycodone will probably make a naive personer fell plenty at 10 mg, whereas extended release might need to be increased to 20 mg. Instant release is not really something I would advice opioid naive persons to use, as i can easy and fast result in nausea and often does the times I have seen a naive person take IR oxycodone. Extended release is more safe for naive persons in my experience. The dosage a naive person needs to take to "feel something" varies quite a lot and therefore, it is better to start with a small amount around 10-20 mg. Again, I have seen people puke from a 5 mg OxyContin while others can handle 20 mg. Therefore, the dose needed is depending on the individual which is why it is best to start with a small dose the first time. Better safe than sorry.