• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxycodone in the morning and nalaxone in the night?

MephedroneCandy

Bluelighter
So I never tried any opiate and I don't want to, but for the sake of science I want to know if it is possible to prevent tolerance if someone take oxycodone every morning followed by nalaxone in the night. I know this will result in precipitated withdrawals on someone with an high tolerance, but what if it is used to prevent tolerance instead of reversing it?

NS&PD is generally for theoretical scientific discussion around neuroscience and pharmacology, not harm reduction questions. I will therefore be moving this to BDD.

The answer is kind of iffy as scientific information is limited in this area. Yes, it would help to prevent tolerance at opioid receptors say with morphine. However, with opioids that have more than one mechanism of action such as tramadol or tapentadol. This quickly becomes complex as these two act on both opioid receptors and a variety of other receptors such as serotonin and norepinephrine. These other receptors effect the drug's pain relieving effects and would not experience the same tolerance reduction. So therefore, administering naloxone would "theoretically" suppress the development of an opioid tolerance if administered simultaneously with the opioid as long as this opioid has a traditional binding profile.

Best wishes

I thought I answered this.

You could try this but not with naloxone. 1-10 microgram of naltrexone 2 hours taking the oxycodone. I've heard it works for some. Taking microdosed naloxone at night won't do much. Other than making it hard to sleep.

As mentioned, naloxone wouldn’t work. But naltrexone could.

I remember some of my earliest posts in BL were on the subject of micro dosing naltrexone to attenuate opioid tolerance. Empirical evidence is scarce, but the concept is sound.

When you take oxy in the morning, it will still be active in evening so any of naloxone or naltrexone will induce powerful precipitated withdrawal. They do this under anesthesia for fast detox off opioids.

What seems to work though is naltrexone in ultra low (microgram) dosage for reducing tolerance.

yep. just take 20mcg naltrexone an hour before the dose is the best way.