• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids oxycodone HCL 30mg | I was cut off my meds in the cruelest way possible...PLEASE HELP

opiate_advocate

Greenlighter
I am new here (first post), but I am in a very serious and devastating situation and have to know what to do about it....
If I am missing something, or you have heard of this, please comment... because I am totally at a loss here what my next move is.

Background
After the opiate crisis shit kept showing up in the media, it became hell for pain patients.
WE became the ones to blame, and penalize.
If you require >90mme (morphine milligrams equivalent)......you're "over medicated.
If you are physically dependent on medicine.....you are a drug addict.
If you ask questions about obtaining your medication, you're a drug seeker.
Patients that have been through every treatment, Physical therapy, injection, and surgery without success...you're a lost cause

Pain management uses a "one size should fit all" approach,
concerned more about minimal numbers, then managing an individual's actual pain.

Most doctors have become rude, impersonal conveyor belts, rushing patients in and out, not giving a shit about them.

MY STORY:::
I have been on pain medication for about 15 years,
oxycodone HCl 30mg for 11, and fentanyl patch 50mcg for 7.
I have degenerative disc disease, nerve damage, ankylosing spondylitis, bone spurs,
arthritis, bursitis, sciatica, and Lupus.
Am I 80 years old? No, I am only 32, so naturally,
anytime healthcare professionals see what my medications are,
they immediately treat me like a leper.

My doctor has been treating me for 10 years.
I have followed every rule, and have never asked to alter my meds.

Fast forward to last week, after an insurance issue, trying to get my doctor to do the correct paperwork , she decided to cut me off my meds, and enroll me in detox.
OUT OF NO WHERE.
I am still dumbfounded how things got this way, over an insurance inconvenience. I could understand if I failed drug tests, or was constantly trying to get my meds upped, but there was literally nothing that I did to deserve being banned from my meds and forced into the worst pain and withdrawal I have ever felt.

In 2017, insurances started requiring prior authorizations for patients receiving >90mme (morphine equivalent) every 6 months, to evaluate if the higher dosing is appropriate. I have always been approved. This past month, my doctor's office claimed that my insurance denied my oxy script, because "provider is legally not allowed to prescribe more then 60mme", and since i'm on >320mme, it can only be obtained by a pain management doctor.
She wrote me a new script for 2 15mg oxycodone a day, (literally 1/5th of my normal dose), and thought that was sufficient.

I was in disbelief and hysterics, so I called my insurance company.
They said my case was denied because the doctor's office didn't finish the paperwork, not because of any limit.
(Dr did the right paperwork for my fentanyl patches the week before, and they were approved. (fentanyl= 120mme)

After several phone tag calls back to my doctor's office to tell them what the issue really was,
they refused to fix my prescription, and said: "sorry your doctor won't be giving you these prescriptions any longer".
WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT?
Randomly, after all these years under her care, I'm cut off?
This is absolutely brutal and cruel.
So I say again, what in the fuck is that?

Just merely staying out of withdrawal, I went through the 15's in a week. I made an urgent appointment with the pain place that originally recommended my dose.
Different doctor, who had clearly made up her mind before seeing me, that I need to get off my meds.
Then she realized, her superior was the one that recommended my 5x/day ox and fentanyl patch every 3 days.
She told me to return to primary care for medication issues, referred me to another clinic for another opinion.
and then called my Doctor with that absurd consultation.

Out of meds, and in agony, I started to cry.
This felt like punishment for something I did not do, but it all started with a pre-auth they didn't do right.
I was hoping they would just fix the issue, and not make me go through this.
IT BACKFIRED.

Before I could even say hello to my dr...
She was pissed off that I was there, and accused me of drug-seeking, and lying.
She said "did you honestly think you could just come here and I would give you medication?
I spoke with the Pain clinic, the plan is not to get another opinion,
the plan is to get u off all the medicine.
So I found treatment centers that take your insurance.
Call them now while I'm here."

What in the fucking shit?
YOU FORCE ME INTO IMMEDIATE SUFFERING AND WITHDRAWAL WITH THAT RANDOM SCRIPT CUT OFF, THEN SURPRISED AND PISSED THAT IM BACK?
ANY healthcare provider knows patients on opiate pain meds for long periods of time, CAN NOT be rapidly or suddenly reduced or cut off, it is not safe.

Is this legal? I thought their 1st rule was "DO NO HARM"?

((((((APOLOGIES FOR RUNNING LONG WINDED...I GAVE THE WHOLE STORY INCASE IM MISSING SOMETHING?))))))
Please let me know what you think, and what you would do if this happened to you.

Last edited:
Unfortunately with new laws coming into place everyday to limit “opiate crisis” , I’m not so sure many pain patients have a leg to stand on. I’ve never received a concurrent pain script and it was never what you received so I’m not so sure and I probably shouldn’t be answering. The best bet though it’s learn your risk and rewards. I have family members that get pain scripts and their primary care issues them narcan without even telling them and they are only on 2 ir 10 and 25mcg’s. From what I gather though it’s not an easy process with any of them

I wish I had more or useful information to give you but sadly enough I do not. I know many others in the chronic pain community (including myself) that have experienced similar situations. In most cases the end result is that the patient is left without medication. I hate to say this but plan for the very real possibility that you will no longer be able to receive medication. It's a terrible state of affairs & I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you but sadly enough despite changes in guidelines nothing has really changed. :|

The guidelines are just that guidelines. They also were not intended to be applied to chronic pain patients. There have been statements made since stating that patients who are on long term opioids should not be abruptly tapered or discontinued by various organizations. Honestly; I don't have a good answer for you in regards to how to proceed. In an ideal world you would be able to contact your Dr., a medical board or another Dr. to explain your situation & point out the facts of the situation along with citations to back up your points but it's not an ideal world. From personal experience having science, logic & reason on your side doesn't make an ounce of difference. In my case the Dr. agreed with me but still told me that because of the climate I was shit out of luck. They'd love to help & feel horrible not being able to do their job but they just couldn't take the risk. :\

The reasons why what is occurring to you don't matter when compared to how to deal with what is occurring. Everyone's individual circumstances are different but in terms of if it's legal to the best of my knowledge I would say yes. At best it would fall into a "grey" area if I think about it. It's definitely not moral & doesn't follow the rule of "do no harm" however. As someone who experienced this I don't know what to tell you to do. What I did was present evidence & explain the situation to a new Dr. as my previous one dropped all pain patients & moved. As I mentioned they agreed with me 100%. They said my situation was horrible & that I should never have lost my medication in the first place. It didn't change anything though. They stated that they couldn't risk there own personal well being by helping me. They even said they were abdicating there job & there responsibilities to the patient. Sadly enough they had to put the well being of there family above my well being.

I let the Dr.. know that I understand were they are coming from & that it's not there fault. It's just a terrible situation for all involved. In my case we came up with me using bupeprenorphine for pain management. It's a long story & I don't get my prescription from a Dr.. The thought my Dr. & I had was that having a buprenorphine script on my record even if it was noted that it is being prescribed for pain due to the fact that 'Belbuca' is not covered by my insurance might ruin my ability to get medication in the future if the climate changes. As my Dr. & I both agreed that Dr.'s don't often read notes & they are often lost in translation. That the script on my record might just be a red flag. Though the situation with having my medication taken away in the first place is a blemish in itself. As for the buprenorphine we agreed it is not at all ideal situation but it is better than nothing. There are other options that are preferable but when factoring cost & accessibility it was the only realistic option. :\

My apologies for going on at such length but I wanted to give you as much of the story as possible without going to far into my normal verbosity when trying to convey information. To answer your questions I've mentioned what I did when this happened to me & what those results were. Secondly what I think is that it's terrible & I'm very sorry this has happened to you. As for what I would do I really don't know. I know that my approach worked for me. Despite "working" my approach did not change the end results & as such was a failure. I'm not sure that in my case there is or was anything I could do differently. I hope that the same does not apply in your case. You have my best wishes & I sincerely hope that you find a satisfactory resolution to this situation!

If you need any advice regarding tapering, withdrawal aids, a plan to make what you have last while planning to taper or anything else that you may have questions regarding I'll do my best to help. Even though the forum may not be able to provide you with an answer regarding what to do in this situation we can offer you our support. I hope things work out as well as they possibly can for you!

Maybe you can get into a methadone program? In some backwards ass way it is easier to get pain meds to treat addiction than it is chronic pain now.

I'm truly sorry to hear this is happening to you. It honestly made me mad just reading it. This is the exact reason why the opioid crisis is spinning out of control and more people are turning to heroin. It is so counterintuitive to rip meds from the people who actually need them.

Maybe you can get into a methadone program? In some backwards ass way it is easier to get pain meds to treat addiction than it is chronic pain now.

I'm truly sorry to hear this is happening to you. It honestly made me mad just reading it. This is the exact reason why the opioid crisis is spinning out of control and more people are turning to heroin. It is so counterintuitive to rip meds from the people who actually need them.
And under give the amount you do give

Yep it's sucks buddy, there's not many options. I can't believe they cut you off fent and oxy without going to morphine first.
If you can find it morphine is an excellent drug to handle withdrawal an is much easier to cut down on in time.
Please whatever you do, do not try heroin. Its not comprable to other opiates will put you in a much worse position and will change you for the worst.
A methadone program might be the best bet. Imo bupes are not a good option for oxy detox at least not in the beginning maybe after a while but you need a strong opioid agonist like methadone or morphine to survive.

I’m not sure how complaints procedures work in the US but fucking find out and complain! I would be taking this to the top and I wouldn’t let them away with it. Seek legal advice where ever you can because that is cruel and it couldn’t be legal.

I would also look about going to another dr, yous can shop for drs there can’t you? Get another dr, explain to them and hopefully they will be more sensible.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. As a chronic pain patient myself and someone who has had to fight tooth and nail for my pain medication and been through all the legal channels to get it I understand how frustrating it is. I was like a dog with a bone though. I have chronic pain, I’m also in my 30s and drs think I shouldn’t be getting high dose pain meds due to my age? It’s ridiculous.

This made me mad as hell too. Unfortunately I know all too well, having some in the family as well as my partner, that doctors can get a big head and if you rub them the wrong way they will do whatever they can to get rid of you. My girl full on doesn’t believe in opiates unless your cancer ridden on your death bed.

I’ve dealt with the problem the opposite way, having had a heroin addiction over 10yrs ago I pretty much can’t get proper pain management these days even if I tried. I dealt with cancer this last winter and a painful surgery, which I had to source potent addictive opiates myself.

The problem with sourcing yourself is the risk of addiction is obviously there with no accountability but thankfully they just don’t appeal to me anymore and I was able to wean down and stop once the pain subsided.

Idk I’m a survivalist too and I see some nasty things happening to us in the near future if we don’t find a way to become less reliant on “them” for what “we” need.

I suggest learning to grow poppies, or loperamide at least until you can figure something out.

So what did you do when she said to call rehabs right in front of her? I woulda snapped at that point but the shitty thing is you show any emotion and they look at you like a fiend.

It reminds me of when I used to buy heroin I eventually moved up the ladder to as pure of diacetyl as you can probably get from guys that were very serious about their work.

You could never act like you were hurting for it or else they’d cut you off cuz fiends are risky to deal with in their eyes. (Sound familiar?) I remember having to act all cool and normal while inside I’m screaming at the top of my lungs, sweaty and nauseated.

Doctors or drug dealers they all enjoy the power they have over you and don’t mind exercising that power when you piss them off.

-GC

Idk I’m a survivalist too and I see some nasty things happening to us in the near future if we don’t find a way to become less reliant on “them” for what “we” need.

I suggest learning to grow poppies, or loperamide at least until you can figure something out.

-GC

This was my first thought actually. If I had things my way I would produce every drug I use, so as to not rely on anyone but myself. It's my dream really.

Oh my god, thank you guys for responding to my post. I was beside myself thinking I was the only person that was shit on and dropped as a pain patient w/o any reason.

After spending this entire week online, reading about this massive "cut off" of pain meds for chronic and legitimate pain patients, I couldn't believe it.
When did it become ok for the government or any other entity, to decide what was appropriate for a patient? WHY EVEN HAVE A DOCTOR AT ALL??

Our fucking system is broken even more than it already was, and will certainly result in patients becoming drug addicts. And that is a sad fact.
They think this is "helping" the opiate crisis, however, they are driving it to a whole new level by cutting patients away from their meds which they were on just to live.

RIGHT NOW: I have started a methadone clinic, and you guys are right...it has helped tremendously. I am still in pain, but to the point where I am not curled up on the floor in tears....it's bearable. Methadone feels a bit like morphine, and lasts super long...I dont wake up in pain, needing pills, or even think about them. What an amazing medication.
More pain places should be using methadone for pain control, and perhaps we wouldn't be in this fucking shithole of a situation.

Lol as if the United States gives a fuck, BaYer use to include heroin, but I don’t see that coming back anytime soon. Sadly your stuck and if you rock the boat to much with “complaints” you’ll see what it’s really like to never see opiates again. But this isn’t your doctors fault your doctor cares, but your doctors head has also been drilled into a desk and a book for ehh 12 + years. First off, the mandate is from the FDA and DEA, do you really think your doctor wants its practice to be shut down over a oxy and fentanyl. If you rock the boat too much your liable to be discharged from services with a strong mark on your record which will come up with referrals. Your only option is to get the doctor to right referral after referral until you find a doctor that don’t give a shit anymore. That being said, Im sure we are due for a plethora of new opiates that are “addiction proof” I suspect if the world keeps turning a whole new group of individuals will be congregating to discuss being taken of the next set of medicines. The only real thing to do from here is a route so many have taken and few have made it back from. I will not suggest it I’m sure your aware. The sad thing about opiates is the rebound effect of increasing pain after time. Therefore, your pain sadly will never be managed. I would suggest cbd as potentiation and I would atleast discuss with my doctor honestly if they are uncomfortable with your meds, they have the duty and obligation to refer you to somewhere that can help.

Oh my god, thank you guys for responding to my post. I was beside myself thinking I was the only person that was shit on and dropped as a pain patient w/o any reason.

After spending this entire week online, reading about this massive "cut off" of pain meds for chronic and legitimate pain patients, I couldn't believe it.
When did it become ok for the government or any other entity, to decide what was appropriate for a patient? WHY EVEN HAVE A DOCTOR AT ALL??

Our fucking system is broken even more than it already was, and will certainly result in patients becoming drug addicts. And that is a sad fact.
They think this is "helping" the opiate crisis, however, they are driving it to a whole new level by cutting patients away from their meds which they were on just to live.

RIGHT NOW: I have started a methadone clinic, and you guys are right...it has helped tremendously. I am still in pain, but to the point where I am not curled up on the floor in tears....it's bearable. Methadone feels a bit like morphine, and lasts super long...I dont wake up in pain, needing pills, or even think about them. What an amazing medication.
More pain places should be using methadone for pain control, and perhaps we wouldn't be in this fucking shithole of a situation.

I'm really happy to hear that methadone is working out for you! Happy ending at least. Your not the first and definitely not the last person I know to have to fall back on a methadone clinic.

I'm glad to hear you came to a resolution that is working for you!

You are quite right in your statements as well. The current state of affairs is a cluster fuck of epic proportions that has resulted in pain patients being thrown to the wayside. Methadone clinics have become de-facto pain management systems for those pain patients that are able to obtain pain relief through the clinic system that is in place. The clinic system is not the system that pain patients should be in but I'm very glad the resource exists for those that are able to obtain benefit from it. In terms of methadone outside of the clinic system I agree with you on the use of methadone for pain management. The main problem with it being that in my experience many Dr.'s are totally ignorant in regards to prescribing methadone. I've encountered a good number of Dr.'s that didn't even realize they can prescribe it! Nothing like having to show a Dr. the legal code regarding prescribing a medication. That's always an interesting conversation. :|

I was on methadone for a good number of years. It was quite effective and I found it to be one of the more effective medications I've used with a corresponding increase in quality of life. I would be very interested in switching from buperenorphine back to methadone. (Long story there) Sadly enough for a number of reasons that's not really an option for me at this point. Though if I read the news correctly I believe they finally opened one within an hour or two of my current location. I've never had much success with single dosing in terms of pain control or duration of action. :\ I digress though.

I'm happy for those that have been able to find relief with the methadone system & it's great to check on this thread & see that you've found a solution that is working for you! (y) I wish you the best in controlling your pain in the future. 🙂

I'm glad to hear you came to a resolution that is working for you!

You are quite right in your statements as well. The current state of affairs is a cluster fuck of epic proportions that has resulted in pain patients being thrown to the wayside. Methadone clinics have become de-facto pain management systems for those pain patients that are able to obtain pain relief through the clinic system that is in place. The clinic system is not the system that pain patients should be in but I'm very glad the resource exists for those that are able to obtain benefit from it. In terms of methadone outside of the clinic system I agree with you on the use of methadone for pain management. The main problem with it being that in my experience many Dr.'s are totally ignorant in regards to prescribing methadone. I've encountered a good number of Dr.'s that didn't even realize they can prescribe it! Nothing like having to show a Dr. the legal code regarding prescribing a medication. That's always an interesting conversation. :|

I was on methadone for a good number of years. It was quite effective and I found it to be one of the more effective medications I've used with a corresponding increase in quality of life. I would be very interested in switching from buperenorphine back to methadone. (Long story there) Sadly enough for a number of reasons that's not really an option for me at this point. Though if I read the news correctly I believe they finally opened one within an hour or two of my current location. I've never had much success with single dosing in terms of pain control or duration of action. :\ I digress though.

I'm happy for those that have been able to find relief with the methadone system & it's great to check on this thread & see that you've found a solution that is working for you! (y) I wish you the best in controlling your pain in the future. 🙂

Your point on single dosing is why I’d never do methadone, I need at least two doses a day to have more even blood levels or else I’m too up n down.

With methadone I’d get up super early, go grab my dose and then go home to promptly sleep for 3 or so hours. Then wake up do my day, towards nighttime I’d start to get that WD feeling and night sleep would be rough, rinse and repeat.

I was actually a driver for people that went to the methadone clinic every day and I remember how haggard and rough they looked each morning, but the ride home they were on cloud 9 lol.

-GC

I am new here (first post), but I am in a very serious and devastating situation and have to know what to do about it....
If I am missing something, or you have heard of this, please comment... because I am totally at a loss here what my next move is.

Background
After the opiate crisis shit kept showing up in the media, it became hell for pain patients.
If you require >90mme (morphine milligrams equivalent)......you're "over medicated.
Patients that have been through every treatment, Physical therapy, injection, and surgery without success...you're a lost cause

concerned more about minimal numbers, then managing an individual's actual pain.

Most doctors have become rude, impersonal conveyor belts, rushing patients in and out, not giving a shit about them.

I have degenerative disc disease, nerve damage, ankylosing spondylitis, bone spurs,

Fast forward to last week, after an insurance issue, trying to get my doctor to do the correct paperwork , she decided to cut me off my meds, and enroll me in detox.
OUT OF NO WHERE.
I am still dumbfounded how things got this way, over an insurance inconvenience. I could understand if I failed drug tests, or was constantly trying to get my meds upped, but there was literally nothing that I did to deserve being banned from my meds and forced into the worst pain and withdrawal I have ever felt.

In 2017, insurances started requiring prior authorizations for patients receiving >90mme (morphine equivalent) every 6 months, to evaluate if the higher dosing is appropriate. I have always been approved. This past month, my doctor's office claimed that my insurance denied my oxy script, because "provider is legally not allowed to prescribe more then 60mme", and since i'm on >320mme, it can only be obtained by a pain management doctor.
She wrote me a new script for 2 15mg oxycodone a day, (literally 1/5th of my normal dose), and thought that was sufficient.

They said my case was denied because the doctor's office didn't finish the paperwork, not because of any limit.
(Dr did the right paperwork for my fentanyl patches the week before, and they were approved. (fentanyl= 120mme)

After several phone tag calls back to my doctor's office to tell them what the issue really was,
they refused to fix my prescription, and said: "sorry your doctor won't be giving you these prescriptions any longer".

Just merely staying out of withdrawal, I went through the 15's in a week. I made an urgent appointment with the pain place that originally recommended my dose.
Different doctor, who had clearly made up her mind before seeing me, that I need to get off my meds.
Then she realized, her superior was the one that recommended my 5x/day ox and fentanyl patch every 3 days.
She told me to return to primary care for medication issues, referred me to another clinic for another opinion.

This felt like punishment for something I did not do, but it all started with a pre-auth they didn't do right.
IT BACKFIRED.

She said "did you honestly think you could just come here and I would give you medication?

YOU FORCE ME INTO IMMEDIATE SUFFERING AND WITHDRAWAL WITH THAT RANDOM SCRIPT CUT OFF, THEN SURPRISED AND PISSED THAT IM BACK?
ANY healthcare provider knows patients on opiate pain meds for long periods of time, CAN NOT be rapidly or suddenly reduced or cut off, it is not safe.

((((((APOLOGIES FOR RUNNING LONG WINDED...I GAVE THE WHOLE STORY INCASE IM MISSING SOMETHING?))))))
Please let me know what you think, and what you would do if this happened to you.
Something similar just happened to me. I was called in for a random urine test and pill count. Passed the urine test but was 4 pills short.... I took more than the prescribed dosage over the weekend. Got a phone call from some administrator saying my doctor will no longer be treating me as a patient. I've just recently had 2 back to back major lower lumbar fusions and a few weeks ago a radical hysterectomy and breast lumpectomy.
I'm not sure what your pain contract states but most say they have to at least give you 2 months worth of pain meds to hold you over to either wean off or find another doctor.
Good luck and I feel your pain. You've come to the right place. The people here are very helpful and understanding.

Background

OUT OF NO WHERE.

IT BACKFIRED.

That is total bullshit and they wonder why people turn to herion and anyother drug! I cancelled an pill count appointment had me drive45 minutes to tell me they were no longer giving me meds. So I get hydrocodone or whatever I can get but I'm waiting to qualify for SSI so I sell shit and trade stuff to be out of pain. In your case I think I would of killed that Dr. You're right these doctors treat you like their your parole officer and they act like you better tell the truth or I'll make your life hell! I've watched on TV and seen people in my family and friends go to H, meth and start selling drugs or whatever to be out of pain.