• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxy withdrawal

Leh09

Greenlighter
My doctor abruptly cut me off oxy that I have been taking for 5 years. I'm lost and don't know what to do. I have three tablets left, so not enough to taper. I take care of my elderly parents so I can't go inpatient. Wish I could get just a little bit to at least taper.

How much are you taking daily?

At what intervals?

Has this been your dosage for the entire time youve been prescribed?

You said youre taking care of your grandparents, can you still do outpatient? It will be a few hours a day every day. But you can get switched to methadone or suboxone depending on why you were prescribed (legitimate chronic pain, or a overprescribing doctor).

Street heroin can provide instant relief with no transition wd period and you wouldn't have to go to an outpatient clinic, but its notoriously impure, dangerous, and cut with all sorts of trash. Not a good path to go down- many make this mistake because of the seamless transition.

Let us know some more details about your situation and we can help you.

How much are you taking daily?

At what intervals?

Has this been your dosage for the entire time youve been prescribed?

You said youre taking care of your grandparents, can you still do outpatient? It will be a few hours a day every day. But you can get switched to methadone or suboxone depending on why you were prescribed (legitimate chronic pain, or a overprescribing doctor).

Street heroin can provide instant relief with no transition wd period and you wouldn't have to go to an outpatient clinic, but its notoriously impure, dangerous, and cut with all sorts of trash. Not a good path to go down- many make this mistake because of the seamless transition.

Let us know some more details about your situation and we can help you.

Please don't go down the heroin road OP. Everything else aside, becoming dependent on a highly illegal opioid is a horrible idea.

Do you live in a city with a methadone clinic? They have a 30 day detox that would be very helpful in easing you off the oxyodone. Or try and find a doctor who can prescribe buprenorphine, use that for 2-4 weeks.

Comfort meds that will also help you better manage acute withdrawal are: gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam (or clonazepam), buprenorphine or methadone, as well as a non-habit forming sleep aid such as trazodone.

Do a search for comfort meds or opioid withdrawal and you'll find a lot of useful info.

I'd agree that an outpatient program would be helpful for you, particularly if you opt for not doing the ORT thing. In terms of acute withdrawal however, the meds I listed will see you through.

Frankly I'd recommend looking into buprenorphine or methadone as ORT though. That very well may be your best option. But if it's just withdrawal you're interested in dealing with ATM, definitely get yourself the appropriate comfort meds (at the least gabapentin and clonidine, two medications with no abuse potential that any doctor worth their salt would prescribe you to manage acute opioid withdrawal.

Get on kratom immediately and find a dose that helps you keep withdrawals and cravings away. Kratom is a partial opiate agonist, so yes it can really really help your withdrawal because it binds to the same receptors...but being a partial agonist it will not be nearly as addicting. Once u find a stable dose and feel comfortable it is very easy to taper yourself down with once you're ready. You can find it at almost any smoke shop and it's legal. Helped me kick a 250mg+ a day habit so you can do it, trust me. Hang in there friend