• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxy....W-T-F?

willyman

Greenlighter
As the titles states, W-T-F?

I have been on oxycodone 10mg, 120ct instant release tabs for 4-5 years. I have been offered 30's and to up my count, but I have refused, Twice. I do not require anymore,due to having a low tolerance, So there
is no beneficial need to up my dose. With that being said, I ran out a week early last month and I resorted to smoking weed. I smoked until my Dr. Appt., but now I do not feel anything from my pills. The leg pain
went away that they caused in withdrawal, but I do not get any euphoric feeling. No energy nor stimulating feeling, That they always gave me. I do not believe I am sick and have not taken anything at all to block
the special trait oxycodone usually provides. I take one and always feel it. I take one and a half and I most def. feel it! Tried both, but NOTHING! I even resorted to taking two and that normally would make me
nod HARDCORE, but NOTHING, AGAIN! So I decided the next morning to take most of my daily dose at once, (3) and NOTHING! I am not going to go over three, Since that should have put me to sleep! I am just curious
as to what anyone thinks could be going on?!... I do not smoke and take my meds at the same time. I am completely puzzled! Did something in my head switch off?

It's been 8 days. I have not felt anything from these things,
Any advice would be TRULY mesmerizing.
[h=3][/h]Thank you!

First off, do you get the generic form? I believe it may be possible that you could react well to one company's version and not so well to another. This is just my opinion but I feel there is a real difference between the different manufacturer's oxy on the market. Do you know what company made your two scripts?

No, I have received the same medication, That is made by the same pharmaceutical company and have gone to the same Dr./Pharmacy for 5 years. That is what's puzzling me.
I thought it was possible, That I got defective medication, So I asked my mom to give me some of hers. She gets the same kind of medication and is made by the same pharmaceutical
company that makes mine. She gets her script filled at a different pharmacy, So if it was my pharmacy's wrong doing for my medication, I could rule that out. I got the same effects (None) that
my medication has provided me for 8 days now, NOTHING! I am simply baffled by this and have never posted on a forum about my medication or for anything in general, So I am hoping that I am
in the right place. Again, Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks again!

No, you're actually in a great place to get answers but I'm afraid your case is kind of baffling. The only other thing I can think of is, are there any other meds you've stopped or started that coincides with your problem? Other than that, I got nothing. Good luck though

It sounds like your tolerance has gone up.. it does seem like a strange time for it to have gone up, usually taking a break would lower tolerance, but it has been 4-5 years of continued use like you say, which IME would be a very long time to be using opiates and not have a rise in tolerance. I have had similar issues when taking opiates before. Usually I would just take more until I felt it, but I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you want to really lose control of your habit.

One way to know for certain that it is tolerance is if you feel shitty and start going into withdraw when you don't take anything and you just feel leveled out or normal when you do take the pills. If you can't eat, feel shitty and depressed when you don't take them or experience other withdraw symptoms then when you do take them you just feel normal and the symptoms go away chances are you are just building tolerance. If you started increasing your dose like taking 1.5 or 2 at a time more often or even more frequently in the day then I can almost promise that it is rising tolerance. Try going a few days with out smoking a ton of weed and see how you feel.

I think that we always want and expect things to follow a linear, predicatable pattern, but sadly, the don't. Tolerance goes up and down, depdendence can be induced more quickly (kindling) and these phenomena are extremely difficult to chart and/or predict. I'm sorry that we don't have a more precise answer for you.

I think I would have to agree with the recent posts, it probably is a tolerance issue. I don't remember reading if you ever kept taking more until you actually could tell you took something. That may be the road I would take but be prepared to run out early and possibly get some depressing news, like your tolerance is now through the roof!

It sucks, but I do not understand the tolerance issue, When I have been on the same dose going on 5 years and never had a problem. Unless, My body decided it needed more all of a sudden :(
I hate being on these, but the weed does not do everything... Just makes me forget. I did mention in my above post, That I took 3 at once and tried taking my mother's to see if it was a pharmacy issue,
but both were uneventful. 3 at once is A LOT for me and for it to do nothing scares me, lol. Thanks again for all of you being so helpful and giving me advice. As I said before, I haven't done anything
like this before, but I am happy I did!

Cheers

Willyman,

How deeply have you discussed your concerns with your prescriber? It's not uncommon for a "stable" Opioid dose to stop working seemingly without explanation or a catalyst. Sadly, it happens all the time. There are many strategies for dealing with it, but I would first like to know what your prescriber has to say. A logical option for your situation would be what's called Opioid Rotation. The intention is to take advantage of the more subtle differences from Opioid to Opioid to keep a patient in an acceptable state of analgesia over a long(er) period of time.

For instance, your prescriber could switch you to Methadone for a few months, than maybe to Morphine than maybe back to your Oxycodone. Again, I would like to know a little bit more about what your prescriber has had to say before hurling suggestions at you.

Sorry this has happened. I have never heard of this before and I hope you can get them to start working again. Like above, you should talk to your doctor about it and maybe he will give you a rotation.