• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxy/suboxone

Hey guys, I'm a chronic pain patient with a severe spinal injury who has been through surgeries, Injections, medications, acupuncture, and PT with very little help.

I'm on lyrica right now, and prednisone. I guess the prednisone is supposed to help pain as well as my kidney disease. (Stage 3) I also cannot take NSAIDs because of my kidneys so I'm really between a rock and a hard place. My doctors pretty much refuse to prescribe me any opiods for my pain, because of the epidemic and also I have had doctors tell me to my face that my age also drastically influences their decision to not prescribe me any, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I finally got a PM doc who said he would not prescribe me any opiods, but he would not stand in the way if my primary doc trusted me to take them. I've been going back and forth for years now because they kept saying only PM doctors are allowed to write prescriptions for narcotics, so I guess this is a step in the right direction.

I've spent probably tens of thousands of dollars in the last couple years on oxy 30s just so I can get some sleep and have some quality of life, and go out with friends and whatnot.

Anyways, my question is, has anyone with chronic pain got any relief with suboxone? I had friend tell me I should ask my doctor about it. Even if my primary gives me some pain meds, it's most likely going to be percocet 5s, which won't even touch my pain. I take 30mg oxy at a time, and depending how bad my pain is for the day take it up to 4 times a day.

I'm sorry this was kind of long, but I wanted to give you guys some background of what's been going on for the last 5 years. Also, I tried to find this question, but couldn't find anything on it, so again, I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

Thanks as always guys! Look forward to hearing some responses.
I would give poppy pod or poppy seed tea a try. There are still a few legit brands of poppy seeds you can legally buy from the supermarket that work.

Well, just heard back from pcp. He told me that if I wanted pain meds it would have to go through PM. What a joke, the PM doc said he would allow my pcp to prescribe them for me. I'm so sick of being a fucking ping pong ball, going back and forth over, and, over again.

I seriously want this shit to just end man. You can only push a person so far before they snap. Everyone has their breaking point, and I think I'm getting to my point.

I'm going broke spending so much money on oxy, and my family doesn't understand. I'm over it.
I understand the frustration man, just keep your head up and stay positive! Hope you can find relief brother

Hey Sweetie,

Okay, good to hear you are getting the Oxy without Tylenol.
(Funny how someone who doesn’t really need the Oxy gets it no problem and sells it to a person who really needs it!)
I didn’t even know about Tylenol being dangerous! Didn’t know anything about medication or drugs and didn’t want to know either!
I sure would hate to see you have liver failure on top of all this shit.
That is what happened to me due to not being able to get adequate pain medication / relief also.

I know exactly how you feel and what you mean about your family thinking you are just an addict and thinking that you would be “normal” if you would just stop taking the pain medication. That was the worst part! Almost.
My family now has seen what happens without pain medication. They have now seen what is and has been happening to me even with the pain medication! They do not ever say anything about it anymore. My sister was SO mean and slanderous that she is scared of me.
Scared of how she has treated me.

My family has seen me suffer for a long, long time but just choose to make me feel worse and more isolated and give me “tough love”.LOL!
As if it could get any tougher. I don’t believe in “tough love”. I believe in unconditional love.
I am very disappointed in how dumb and unhelpful my family has been about recognizing serious medical symptoms and getting me help. I have tried so hard to get myself help but there is not any help out there!

It is strange how most people blame the sick person for the symptoms and illness. Even injury. As if this is your fault.
Even if it was, nobody deserves this and everyone makes mistakes. Where is the support, kindness, compassion? Where did the family bonds, the support go?

I found this pain community long ago and used this list of Basic Human Rights to force the medical people to treat my pain.
Start listing off things from this list at your next “pain management” appointment (what a joke! Where is the pain management?)
They also have advocates that can help you. Do whatever it takes to get the treatment you need to keep living some life.

Believe me Trev, I know what you are going through. I am so sorry. You are not the only one. Many others do understand.
I remember your first post here and I remember thinking, Fuck, here is a very young person going through the same shit as myself.
I recognized the words you used to describe what was going on with you and I know you are really going through major injury-Disease.

I am pretty much paralyzed now. The “system” has managed to deny me disability benefits all these years and it just doesn’t even matter anymore. I couldn’t even take my daughter for a vacation to go sit at the beach together now.
I wonder how it feels to be able to destroy the little parts of “life” that someone else has left that they could have lived if only for medication and money.

I really hope they get what they deserve Trev. Neither of us did this to ourselves or deserved this in anyway!
I don’t know if you heard but I have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury, post concussive syndrome, and a white matter brain disease which looks like it is going to be Multiple System Atrophy or aka Double Parkinson’s Disease.
Not to mention the back, neck injuries, cluster headaches - which are one of the top 10 most painful conditions a person can have- etc.
Headaches so bad they knock out my speech and vision and brain damage me every time they happen.
I have suffered with those since I was 16 years old.

I don’t know what has happened to the medical system and to family support. I don’t know what has happened to people quite frankly.

Hey painful, always good to hear from you! I have been meaning to get back to you, but am unable to go on here as much as I'd like.

Recently, I have slipped into a deep depression from the intense pain, and also watching my bank account getting depleted without any income since I have not been able to work in 3 years! Somehow, this is my fault though, as if I asked for this bullshit, at least that's how my mom and brother see it. Unfortunately, my dad passed in 2014, and he would be the person who would try to help me, or at least understand. Another example of how shitty life is. Honestly, these last 5 years have been so bad, I used to me positive, and try to soo the good in every situation, but not anymore. I'm a realist. I just accepted that some people are blessed, and others simply get screwed in life. Some go through life with no adversity, and others have to deal with medical conditions, and grieve, and so on. It's just as simple as that.

Painful, I am very sorry to hear of your new conditions. I hope you are able to get some sort of relief. I didn't know you were recently diagnosed with that. My aunt has had Parkinson's for like 3 years or so now, and her balance is pretty bad, as well as her shaking constantly, but she is still pretty alert. She is able to have conversations with people no problem, but due to her balance issues, she has taken a couple falls and broken her wrist. I remember posting for the first time on here on the dark side sub forum and you were one of the first replies. You always have some positive thing to say no matter how bad yours, or mine situation is. It just seems to me the better person you are, the harder you get fucked in life. Idk, that's probably pretty negative, but I can't help it after all of this. I mean, i was a good student in school, got good grades, went to a good university, and got a good job after and now for what, just to rot all day in constant debilitating pain. I mean I just feel so robbed to the point that I am welcoming death, and even tried to take my life last year, but the gun jammed and my brother found me.

This is kind of a rant, but also I just wanted to thank everyone who have posted on here giving advice and different options. It seems strangers on the internet are more empathetic, and compassionate than my own family. Also my original question about the suboxone doesn't matter because my pcp won't hear about it, also won't even give me 5mg percs, even though he acknowledges I'm in severe pain, but won't give me anything for it. The best he gave is lyrica which I'm now up to 150 mg a day and haven't noticed anything for my pain. Anyways I really appreciate you guys, and I'll try to come on here more often with updates.

Sorry for the long post.

Hey guys, so I have an appointment with a dr who only prescribes suboxone. He is going to see me after hours at 7:00 o'clock tonight, also it's cash only (395$) lol... the pharmacy he uses has already filled my script, so it's pretty much a done deal. The orginal consultation is one and a hours- to two hours. Definitely sounds sketchy but I dont care anymore.

I have no idaa what mg the suboxone will be so what should I take for strictly pain relief, afterall, that is why I'm doing this.

This is honestly my last chance at a quality of life so I really hope this helps. If not, then I really can't see how I can go on much longer. Any experienced suboxone users, feel free to chime in. How is it for pain? did it help you? what is an effective dose for pain? Or whatever else you wanted to add would be greatly appreciated.

Good to hear from you!

Yeah, that does sound pretty sketchy but... gotta do what you gotta do.

Let us know how the suboxone goes. I don’t have any experience with it myself but have heard people on here using it for pain and they all say to take as low a dosage as possible. I have read, not over 4 mg for pain relief. I have also read that there is a patch form of Bupe used for pain management only that works well. Maybe you can ask about that.

Good luck bro. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

stay strong @Painful One ! much love and appreciation for all your support! you are a very kind and humble person, i'm so sorry about your situation.

reading your more detailed post from the first page, may I ask if you got someone who could look after you in the future? you seem very sick and some precautions should be taken, you really deserve to be taken care of

Last edited by a moderator:
The antagonist connected makes it not suitable for chronic pain relief really. Certainly not a first line choice of a real doctor. Butrans patches are Buprenorphine only, very effective for chronic pain!!!!

I have been, and am still in a very similar predicament. I am in chronic pain and have been for years. I was prescribed what you are buying off the streets but regulations led to the dose being cut. It was cut to a degree I asked for other options. Buprenorphine was what I chose.

Butrans was the first route, to no avail. Transdermal administration just isn't for me. Even Fentanyl patches did nothing at all for me. So I requested Suboxone. They will prescribe you very high doses. Most say they won't help with pain but this is not true. What is true is that for it to help with pain in a noticeable manner it must be converted into norbuprenorphine which only happens in low doses. I was on 8MG 2x a day. After a year of no relief I figured I'd wean myself off and ditch it. To my surprise, when I got to 1MG doses, I had pain relief! Unlike the Oxy where I needed to constantly up the intake, the lower the intake of Bupe the more relief I got. I can only say what worked for me, and that was 1MG upon waking up and 0.5MG about 6 hours later.

I am sorry to hear about your kidney issues. After the military, PTSD and chronic pain I want to die. I know how you feel and hope you message me if you ever want to talk to somebody in the same position as you. I truly am wishing you the best and want you to know that there is hope. I am back on Oxycodone now but only 10mg 4x a day. Truthfully, Suboxone helped better than this does. Also, never having to worry about withdrawals or redosing is a godsend. Take care brother

I have been, and am still in a very similar predicament. I am in chronic pain and have been for years. I was prescribed what you are buying off the streets but regulations led to the dose being cut. It was cut to a degree I asked for other options. Buprenorphine was what I chose.

Butrans was the first route, to no avail. Transdermal administration just isn't for me. Even Fentanyl patches did nothing at all for me. So I requested Suboxone. They will prescribe you very high doses. Most say they won't help with pain but this is not true. What is true is that for it to help with pain in a noticeable manner it must be converted into norbuprenorphine which only happens in low doses. I was on 8MG 2x a day. After a year of no relief I figured I'd wean myself off and ditch it. To my surprise, when I got to 1MG doses, I had pain relief! Unlike the Oxy where I needed to constantly up the intake, the lower the intake of Bupe the more relief I got. I can only say what worked for me, and that was 1MG upon waking up and 0.5MG about 6 hours later.

I am sorry to hear about your kidney issues. After the military, PTSD and chronic pain I want to die. I know how you feel and hope you message me if you ever want to talk to somebody in the same position as you. I truly am wishing you the best and want you to know that there is hope. I am back on Oxycodone now but only 10mg 4x a day. Truthfully, Suboxone helped better than this does. Also, never having to worry about withdrawals or redosing is a godsend. Take care brother

Hey brother, I appreciate the response, and I've read your thread as well. I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling like myself. We are truly in for dark times ahead with this overreaction to the opioid epidemic.

I did end up seeing the doctor and he prescribed me the same dose as you, 8mg twice a day. I really don't know a lot about bube so I took your advice and took 2mg, and WOW! this was absolutely amazing for pain. I would take this any day over oxy, or whatever other opiates there are.

2 days ago, I was so depressed because of the debilitating chronic pain, and lack of treatment these so called PM doctors do I was truly considering ending it, but with the bupe, like you said it is a godsend!

It is terrible that millions of people are getting shunned by their doctors, and forced to turn to street drugs where they don't know what their getting, or suicide. I won't be that person to tell you not to kill yourself or some cliches, like it'll get better because honestly, people have been telling me to keep my head up, and time will heal, and it has actually been the opposite for me. Every year seems to bring a different medical problem or something else. I attempted to take my own life, so I'm the last one to tell you not to do it, but what I can say is that it appears we are in very similar predicaments, and if you ever need to talk, you can PM me anytime.

We are not the only ones suffering, and this is a very supportive community who truly cares, so hopefully something will change for the positive soon. The pendulum will eventually swing back.

Fair enough @FutureReference didnt factor in your options being narrowed like that. It’s hit and miss with transdermal as you have noted, for some it works great, but obviously doesn’t have the guarantees of a “swallowed Oxy etc.

After all you have done for your country (I am assuming you are US?) it’s a fucking disgrace you are even having to worry about this.

What I don’t seem to understand is, they know the same legitimate patients still need the opioids they have always needed. Just because there has been an “epidemic” and idiotic unsanctioned pharma rules and maverick or idiotic doctors, GENUINE PATIENTS STILL SHOULD AND MUST BE TREATED!! What kind of healthcare system pretty much pulls all pain relief from its citizens. It’s Hippocratic oath 101!!!!

stay strong @Painful One ! much love and appreciation for all your support! you are a very kind and humble person, i'm so sorry about your situation.

reading your more detailed post from the first page, may I ask if you got someone who could look after you in the future? you seem very sick and some precautions should be taken, you really deserve to be taken care of

Thank you MorpheusP. I appreciate that. ❤
Hopefully, my disability benefits will come through. I was denied again but my lawyers have somehow managed to stop the denial and I am waiting to hear on a new decision. Let’s hope they do the right thing here because I have had to be a burden on my family for far too long.
For now, I have been able to help take care of my mom and dad in old age and illness. I just have my mom now and she is 80.
We kind of take care of each other, though, I am the most disabled by far.
So pray that I get my disability benefits. I have worked my entire life and paid in. If there was anyway I could work I would be doing it.
I like work. It is hard for me to “take it easy”. I overdo it often.

Honestly MorpheusP, I am going to have to suicide if it comes down to it. I could not survive on the streets and being a beautiful woman (I am, not being stuck up about it) I would be raped to death.

Last edited:
Hey brother, I appreciate the response, and I've read your thread as well. I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling like myself. We are truly in for dark times ahead with this overreaction to the opioid epidemic.

I did end up seeing the doctor and he prescribed me the same dose as you, 8mg twice a day. I really don't know a lot about bube so I took your advice and took 2mg, and WOW! this was absolutely amazing for pain. I would take this any day over oxy, or whatever other opiates there are.

2 days ago, I was so depressed because of the debilitating chronic pain, and lack of treatment these so called PM doctors do I was truly considering ending it, but with the bupe, like you said it is a godsend!

It is terrible that millions of people are getting shunned by their doctors, and forced to turn to street drugs where they don't know what their getting, or suicide. I won't be that person to tell you not to kill yourself or some cliches, like it'll get better because honestly, people have been telling me to keep my head up, and time will heal, and it has actually been the opposite for me. Every year seems to bring a different medical problem or something else. I attempted to take my own life, so I'm the last one to tell you not to do it, but what I can say is that it appears we are in very similar predicaments, and if you ever need to talk, you can PM me anytime.

We are not the only ones suffering, and this is a very supportive community who truly cares, so hopefully something will change for the positive soon. The pendulum will eventually swing back.

I’m SO glad that Future R gave some good experience and wisdom with your situation Trev! Thank you Future!!
I am also SO relieved and thankful that you have finally gotten some pain relief Trev. That put a huge smile on my face and really made my day! It has been agony for me to know how badly you have been suffering and for so long. I know you were at the end of your rope.

Yup my dear brothers, we are suffering in very similar predicaments. I am also here if you ever need to talk. I am glad we at least have each other to talk to here and we don’t have to sugar coat the shit. It is what it is.

I believe the pendulum is about to swing back the other way. I have heard pharmacists and doctors complaining about the bullshit.
For awhile they were all for this No pain relief bullshit but I see them realizing they have overcompensated to a horrid degree.

Really happy news!! YAY! Big hugs!

Ps- sorry that I asked you about the Tylenol thing again. I tend to forget conversations. You know, head injury and all... xo
Thank you for just explaining it again and not making me feel like an idiot. I really appreciate that.

Last edited:
You are all amazing people! I am so happy that the OP got to read my post before taking his initial dose! If 2MG helps, by all means my friend! We all metabolize slightly differently and some people find relief without redosing for 36 hours! If your pain comes back within a 24 hour cycle, I recommend just trying 0.5MG as your 2nd dose. Not only will it convert to norbuprenorphine and help with pain, it actually has euphoric properties to it! But if 2MG at once helps all day man I am absolutely thrilled to hear it!

And I just want to say my experience is due to my metabolism and for others reading, Butrans could definitely be a viable option. Just for comparison I had 75mcg/hr Fentanyl patches that drained in just under 24 hours (of an intended 72 hours) and the dose was not able to stabilize enough to help my pain! I am not sure if it is due to military-related injuries, but Transdermal never worked for me with anything. For some people, Butrans can help for a whole week!

I am thankful for all of you. This is an amazing community. And OP, please feel free to report back here Daily or as you see fit to let us know how it is helping! I was on it for years and have many tips to potentiate the onset and help with the painkilling properties. Truly happy for you man!