• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxy & grapefruit juice, how careful should I be?

sadmachine

Bluelighter
Slight tolerance, usual dose is 40-50mg. Last dose was 7 days ago, had minor (mostly psychological) wd's but basically wanted to drop my tolerance a bit. Been drinking 2-3 glasses of white grapefruit juice every day since and plan on getting high tomorrow. Usually after a 7 day break 40mg is still fine but nice and strong, is this GFJ likely to potentiate it to dangerous/uncomfortable levels if I took my regular dose or is it more of a "slight boost" or duration extender type of potentiating?

If I take 20mg and it's not enough then I can't take more otherwise it ruins it for me, but if I take 30-40mg and the GFJ legitimately boosts the heck out of it then I don't want to harm myself either or be too uncomfortable/noticeably impaired. thoughts?

Ccombining medications or substances with grapefruit juice can be dangerous due to the way grapefruit interacts with certain enzymes in the body. Here's a general overview:
  1. Enzyme Inhibition: Grapefruit juice contains compounds called furanocoumarins that can inhibit an enzyme in the liver called cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4). This enzyme is responsible for breaking down many drugs and substances in the body.
  2. Increased Drug Levels: When CYP3A4 is inhibited by grapefruit juice, it can lead to increased levels of certain drugs in the bloodstream. This can enhance the effects of the drug and increase the risk of side effects.
  3. Oxy (Oxycodone): Oxycodone is an opioid pain medication. If you're referring to oxycodone when you mention "Oxy," it's important to note that combining it with grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of the drug in your bloodstream, potentially leading to respiratory depression (slowed or stopped breathing), overdose, and death.
  4. Other Interactions: Grapefruit juice can also affect other enzymes and transporters in the body, potentially leading to interactions with a wide range of drugs.
In summary, it's essential to be very cautious when combining medications or substances with grapefruit juice due to the potential for dangerous interactions. Always consult with a healthcare professional before making any decisions about drug and food interactions.