• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Overdosing and not breathing from Kratom

batrider

Greenlighter
I was recently involved in a trainwreck of an experience with Kratom (fst) where I went through a whole bottle 3 ml over the course of 6 hours and was found not breathing about an hour after I polished off the bottle. I knew this was a high dose but did not simply know that this stuff is lethal. I figured it was benign or like kava and hardly effective and find that the raw leaf is worthless. The enhanced product works alright so maybe I should go for that if I ever get the 'suicidal ideation' that everyone tells me I would need to try it again.

How much is "safe"? I'm a pretty hefty guy 230lbs 5' 11" and again I was vitally close to dying, I felt this was worse on me than 800 yes 800 mgs of oxycontin insulfated when I never really felt close to death and only know it was risky bc ppl on IRC were reacting as they might be expected to with the knowledge that a semi-naive opiate user just took 10 fking oxies up the nose. (apparently near death experiences with drugs manifest different from what common logic might suggest because it's hard to admit I fked up)

I can't afford to fail a drug test so it's hard to deal with the pain I'm in that should still be treated with opiates but isn't and no one will give me a second chance. That's kinda why I might try it again, lack of alternatives.

Thoughts? Does common knowledge here know that it's easy to lethally OD on Kratom FST?

All I can say is that I have a problem breathing when I take kratom.....I can't smoke hardly cause my lungs are so relaxed.....I don't know how to help you with the large amount you take...If you thought you had to take that much just for pain to go away. It's already in your head that moving up slowly is better then just going off the deep end.......I have never been where I could never breath but I go thru like 56 grams in four hours and I feel nice and high but I have zero tolerance for opiates......

Sounds like u got crap kratom. Try a new vendor or different strain. Also less is more with kratom. Ive gotten better effects from less kratom than more. also make sure you go thru a reputable vendor. If youre buying the head shop crap odds are there could be some other stuff in it. I guess you really take that risk getting kratom anywhere

omg, please, please stop abusing such large ammounts of fst! It can only be trouble, if you need that kind of pain relief, please find a pain reliever that is CONSISTENT IN DOSAGE, the way kratom varies from batch to batch, using it in large amounts is ASKING for trouble, not only that, but bound to bring serious trouble down on an amazing plant, although i am glad to have the data. It's the first i've heard of such an effect. PLEASE BE CAREFUL

I have a lot of experience with kratom and i have to say it seems weird that you can handle 800mg of oxy but not the Kratom as there is a cross tolerance to a degree. Maybe there is some sort of allergic reaction in place because Kratom shouldn't be 'lethal' to someone that can handle 800mg oxy. A matter of fact, I personally don't consider kratom lethal at all. I've used many Tinctures without this problem and my tolerance was way less than yours. I would say try some different kratom, but if what you had really was kratom, that probably wasn't the problem. I've had shitty batches of Kratom before and they never seemed to cause any sickness but rather just lacked in their effectiveness. If you really want to test the waters again, take a cap or two of some regular leaf and see if you feel any negative effects. If not, gradually increase and see how it works. But be careful as possible.

I would say the odds of ODing from kratom are pretty slim. As far as I know there are no known cases of it. You might have had an allergic reaction to the kratom itself as anything can cause allergic reactions. What did it take to get you breathing again? What meds were administered? Did you suffer any long term effects from the apoxia? I think kratom is a fairly safe drug and usually one will be sick from it (nausea and vomiting) prior to taking enough to suffer most serious consequences.

"We are not aware of any cases of severe poisoning or death resulting from its use. Animal studies have found even very large doses of mitragynine (920 mg/kg) to be non-lethal.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom_basics.shtml

"They calculated the 50% lethal dose (LD50) of these extracts, which were 4.90 g/kg for the methanol extract and 173.20 mg/kg for the alkaloidal extract."

Upon further research, there have been a few deaths reported but most turn out to be not from kratom exclusively, sometimes from DEET or other pesticides or contaminations, or combinations of it with other drugs.

If you can take 800mg of oxycodone at one time then you are NOT considered somewhat opiate naive by any means. I have been taking oxycodone and heroin for over 10 years and I could not take 800mg at once and not have problems with it. I mean the BA of oxy by snorting it really sucks but 800mg is still a lot.

*EDIT* Just saw comment above mine, had very similar ideas/thoughts on this..sorry to repeat..was trying to post during nightly maintenance and took awhile.

I found that the straight powder did nothing enhanced took whole $10 worth and wore up fast. I had done a whole fst 3 mL before with puking.

I hope that someone finds my post as it is several years later since the last one. But I wanted to say that I took 1 tbls. of red kratom and 1 tsp. of green several hours apart. My last dose was at 4pm. That night in bed, I woke up with the inability ti breath and husband called 911. I've had chest xrays since which shows minimal scarring. Probably due to my age and some smoking. But it seems odd to me that nothing like this has ever happened to me until this night and after using Kratom. I have not said anything to my drs. about it. I don't know if I should. But I do have some effects since this happened such as chest pain. I'm just scared and confused. Please comment if you have any info. on this subject.

Thank you
Janisum

I hope that someone finds my post as it is several years later since the last one. But I wanted to say that I took 1 tbls. of red kratom and 1 tsp. of green several hours apart. My last dose was at 4pm. That night in bed, I woke up with the inability ti breath and husband called 911. I've had chest xrays since which shows minimal scarring. Probably due to my age and some smoking. But it seems odd to me that nothing like this has ever happened to me until this night and after using Kratom. I have not said anything to my drs. about it. I don't know if I should. But I do have some effects since this happened such as chest pain. I'm just scared and confused. Please comment if you have any info. on this subject.

Thank you
Janisum

Janisum, was that your original post from 2013? If so thanks for the update. Have you used kratom or other recreational drugs since then? The scarring on your chest x-ray could be from smoking like you said. Your doctor might want to run some further tests to find out what's causing your chest pain.

From my understanding... it is next to impossible to OD from kratom leaf. If you take too much you will simply puke it out. However, if opioid receptors are activated... logic would follow that breathing depression is possible... but you'd probably have to take a large amount of extract for that to happen ( which you did).

Honestly, I would just stick with leaf. not only is it safer... but there is more of a spectrum of effects. Extracts do not contain all the psychoactive alkaloids from the plant. I have heard nothing but bad things about extracts.

Don't know how much kratom $10 worth is... but some people have to eat a lot of kratom to get an effect, 20 - 60 grams. Thats not the case for me. 4 - 8 grams seems to be good for me, even with my huge opioid tolerance.