• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Overdose effects from meth. Is it possible? NEED HELP

SafeTrouble

Greenlighter
Someone close to me did meth and ended up in the hospital. He's not exactly regular user, but from what he told me he does it "once in a while."
It should be noted that before he went on this meth binge, he didn't eat anything for about 2 days and was drinking very little water (how much is "very little" I'm not sure) during this binge. Anyway, he smoked quite a bit of it and slammed a pretty small dose as well a few hours later. He says the amount he smoked wasn't really an insane amount and that he definitely smoked before and was fine with it - it was just a bigger amount than he usually did. I assume this means a moderate-high dose.

Long story short, he started feeling some weird "pressure" near his stomach and realized something was wrong because he never felt something like it. It wasn't painful, it just felt like some localized pressure. He called an ambulance and once he got there, a bunch of weird thing started happening. He got that tingling feeling when your leg falls asleep ALL OVER his body. He flipped out and started telling the docs that the tingling feeling was on his head and everywhere else and he was having trouble breathing. They tried to hold this kid down to get an EKG reading but he kept fidgeting around too much and couldn't remain calm because he thought he was dying. So they had to sedate him and he passed out lol.

When I picked him up from the hospital the next morning after I got a call from them, he was still a bit disoriented and seemed slightly "out of it" like he didn't know where he was. He says the morning after was mostly a haze and he remembers everything up until the point that they sedated him. He remembers walking around the hospital with the IV drip still connected but he felt completely fine afterwards. He wants to try it again but I recommended against it. He's a good friend and if he does do it again, he should at least have more knowledge about the potential of an overdose.

A few questions:
-Were these symptoms (the pressure + tingling feeling all over body) symptoms of a meth overdose?
-I've read that those two symptoms seem more in line with DEHYDRATION rather than a drug overdose. He wasn't eating any food or drinking much water so he was probably very low on electrolytes and whatnot. Meth raises body temperature and blood pressure so you sweat a lot more and blood doesn't get around as efficiently thus you're losing electrolytes and not getting enough circulation which might have caused the tingling.
-Is a meth overdose even possible? Is it possible to die from meth in a regular healthy individual from a moderate dose? You don't hear much about meth overdoses or deaths.

Last edited:
It sounds very much like he had an intense panic attack. Meth can increase anxiety in people, to the point of causing a panic attack.

As for the meth overdose info, I am not familiar with that so someone else will have to answer that part.

Direct meth "overdose" is unlikely without ridiculous doses, toxicity from symptoms of overdose after long-term abuse is much more lilely (stress induced stroke/cardiac trouble from high blood pressure and cardiac rate, acute self-harm from psychosis)

It sounds like a combination of dehydration, lack of food, and methamphetamine probably caused delerium to set in. This is why I advise stimulant users to be well rested and well fed - it makes the experience all round a much more predictable, qualitatively better, and safer experience. I bet the IV drip was glucose or IV electrolytes.

It sounds very much like he had an intense panic attack. Meth can increase anxiety in people, to the point of causing a panic attack.

As for the meth overdose info, I am not familiar with that so someone else will have to answer that part.

I thought about that too actually, but do you really think the panic attack would cause such severe physiological effects? From what he told me he honestly thought he was going to die. This guy has had plenty of previous experience with drugs so I doubt he's the type that is imagines having phantom symptoms or whatever. He is relatively new to methamphetamine though.

Direct meth "overdose" is unlikely without ridiculous doses, toxicity from symptoms of overdose after long-term abuse is much more lilely (stress induced stroke/cardiac trouble from high blood pressure and cardiac rate, acute self-harm from psychosis)

It sounds like a combination of dehydration, lack of food, and methamphetamine probably caused delerium to set in. This is why I advise stimulant users to be well rested and well fed - it makes the experience all round a much more predictable, qualitatively better, and safer experience. I bet the IV drip was glucose or IV electrolytes.

The stomach pressure sounds more vague. Maybe that part could have been due more to him not having eaten but he clearly knew something was wrong because he called an ambulance and turns out that he did need the hospital. According to him, he stopped smoking/slamming it about 6 hours before he called the hospital and what triggered this stomach pressure was that he felt as if his last slam wasn't fully in his body somehow (his words not mine.) He described moving his arm and it felt like he got a bit of a rush. Possible that he administered his IV wrong and there was some extra meth hanging around..somewhere on the top layer of his skin? Just a theory.

I also believe he suffered from a strong panic attack. The first panic attack I ever experienced had me thinking I was in fact dying, and was begging to have an ambulance called. Come to think of it, I was abusing amphetamines heavily when it took place. I also had lots of experience with a variety of drugs, especially stimulants, before it happened. These 'phantom symptoms', as you put it, play on the fears and are presented in an incredibly convincing fashion, so even an experienced individual could fall prey to delusion.

i too once had a strong painful feeling in the stomach later found out it was gas. i think it has to do with not eating for a while. now when ever i get abdominal pain, i take an anti-flautulence and it helps alot.

If he wasn't eating or drinking it's likely he wasn't sleeping either. Sleep deprivation + no food + little water = recipe for disaster.

i too once had a strong painful feeling in the stomach later found out it was gas. i think it has to do with not eating for a while. now when ever i get abdominal pain, i take an anti-flautulence and it helps alot.

Lol, I'll be sure to pass that along.

Non-life threatening "overdoses" of methamphetamine can still take a large toll on the user, just FYI.

It is always best to start small and work your way up gradually instead of diving in head first.

This guy has had plenty of previous experience with drugs so I doubt he's the type that is imagines having phantom symptoms or whatever. He is relatively new to methamphetamine though.

He is highly inexperienced with speed. He'll be experienced when he realizes that the whole experience of physical distress was in his head.

I can say from first hand experience that a panic attack on meth can literally feel like your dying. My whole body went numb I couldn't breathe. All sorts of shit like that. However it is extremely difficult if not almost impossible to overdose from meth. Sure pre-existing heart conditions when mixed with a heavy stimulent could potentially be dangerous. I've watched ppl iv rediculousy large amounts of meth and the most common thing I've seen that's close to an overdose is what me and my buddy's call an over-amp which is where you rush so hard you pass out for a few hours and come to still very high but very much so alive. My guess would be this is the bodies defense mechanism against one's heart going too fast. :) I am more of an opiates man myself but have used clear regularly either Iv or smoked for around 3 years if your friend does try meth again I recommend having benzos such as Xanax or kpins so that he can recognize the difference between sever anxiety on a drug that causes all emotions to be hightened bad or good and an actual overdose or cardiac arrest on a drug like cocaine which is far more easy to od on

I can say from first hand experience that a panic attack on meth can literally feel like your dying. My whole body went numb I couldn't breathe. All sorts of shit like that. However it is extremely difficult if not almost impossible to overdose from meth. Sure pre-existing heart conditions when mixed with a heavy stimulent could potentially be dangerous. I've watched ppl iv rediculousy large amounts of meth and the most common thing I've seen that's close to an overdose is what me and my buddy's call an over-amp which is where you rush so hard you pass out for a few hours and come to still very high but very much so alive. My guess would be this is the bodies defense mechanism against one's heart going too fast. :) I am more of an opiates man myself but have used clear regularly either Iv or smoked for around 3 years if your friend does try meth again I recommend having benzos such as Xanax or kpins so that he can recognize the difference between sever anxiety on a drug that causes all emotions to be hightened bad or good and an actual overdose or cardiac arrest on a drug like cocaine which is far more easy to od on
Hi may I know of after overdose, whether you are now struggling with chronic dizziness / head pressure. I am a first time user, overdosed on smoking 1.5-1.8 grams over 2 days. It is now 8 weeks into my overdose - here is my original post https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/meth-overdose-chronic-dizziness.883511/

this thread was from 2 years ago, some of these posters have moved on.

21125the quality in this country is in crystal meth that, this was advertised +86% and i am daily amphetamine user, 70mg elvanse (vyvanse) and 10mg Attentin (dexedrine IR) on prescription. But witht tolerance of mine i took intravenously 0.1 and Holy SHIT 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯