• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Over-use of opiates how dangerous?

Mracid

Bluelighter
My brother is troubled with horrible pain in his abdomen, resulting from excessive amount of air in the digestive system. He slowly (in like 5 months ) convinced a private (we live in canada) doctor to prescribe him 30mg morphine sulphate and 30mg oxy twice a day with 6mg clonazepam AND 6mg xanax everyday all from the same doctor.

Keeping in mind that he has 7-8 months benzo tolerance to 6mg clonazepam and got the xanax last week, and a 4-5 months opiates tolerance to something between 30 to 50 mg oxy/day before getting the whole deal (30mg morphine/30mg oxy/6mg clonazepam/6mg xanax) and that he is around 3-5 CLEAR breaths a min and is always asleep, how dangerous would it be to keep that going for the next months will he one day have a problem with respiratiory depression? cuz his doc gives him whatever he ask for and I cant do anything other than gather info to try convince him to slow down a little.

This is all about Central nervous system depression and tolerance to it. At last informations, he is a 110lbs 5ft3 and he's 19.

What a horrible doctor. Those doses are so high. More than likely not needed. Sigh.

Homeless -----> OD

Can you give me the number for his doctor? Lol

But no really, thats a SHIT TON of meds. Not the worst Ive ever heard of, but do keep an eye on him. Adding a couple alcoholic beverages to that combo could be the difference between life and death. So keep an eye out if he ever decides to drink. Eventually his tolerance will level out and he will need more and more. Benzos themselves arent meant for long term use. If his doctor ever disapears or pulls him off his meds hes in for a world of hurt.

wow, im moving to canada!
seriously, NOBODY needs 6mg of clonaz and xanax a day. he's really fucked when this doctor gets found out to be a quack and sacked. he should try and taper to a lower dose and save his spare meds for a rainy day.

wow. I'm really sorry, since this is your brother, but that definitely is not safe, even with regular use / tolerance.. Throw in a day when he's not feeling tip-top and he takes a higher than regular dose of something and/or drinks too much alcohol on top of all this and he could be in real trouble. Plus even without respiratory troubles, under that level of sedation, even vomiting (and associated asphyxiation) can be fatal. I'd strongly counsel him to step it down a bit, if you can.

Thanks for the reply but I think his pain blinds him from any suggestions, in that way I understand cuz i've suffered from chronic pain twice alredy and im only 17 but still when I was in pain i had 2mg hydro twice a day and thats the max they gave to a 9/10 chronic pain 24/7. (my first chronic pain was relieved by cannabis it even cured it cuz it was caused by muscle tenstions creating spasms in the back but the second, sadly, got me off weed due to increased pain, it's wierd how it works). But here in canada the private system is nearly a drug shop that cost alot of money! One thing I know for sure is that he will not drink over this he doesnt like alcohol and me neither so we dont have any of our own to drink. I think the best I can do is tell him what i think about the dose he's taking and let him decide if he wants to face death nearly everyday or not.

its not so much that he's facing death every day, he'll get used to this dose eventually and his tolerance will keep going up and up and that is a HORRIBLE place to be! especially if he runs out for any reason or needs to travel or is waking up through the night shaking and needing more xanax to sleep.

if he needs the opiates for pain, fair enough, but seriously these benzo doses are ridiculous.

Maybe he should see another doctor? Or have you talked to him about this? What do your parents, or other family members say?

He wont see any doctor that doesnt do what he says thats how he is. And every1 in my family is shocked but they prefer a sleepy dude than the fucking angry dick he is awake. He break walls and told my parents they are lucky that he didnt kill any1 (including them) in his life (he says his anxiety makes him want to break things)... When he is awake he makes me remember why I didnt really like him before smoking weed/taking psychedelics together and the now pain turns him back into an ass. Weed made him tolerable for a year or two... I think he needs to hit rock bottom to feel how hard it can be to be Physically TOTALLY unbalanced and needing a SOBER period! Cuz you are right once you pass the overdose danger you hit the cant get high spot.

He wont see any doctor that doesnt do what he says thats how he is. And every1 in my family is shocked but they prefer a sleepy dude than the fucking angry dick he is awake. He break walls and told my parents they are lucky that he didnt kill any1 (including them) in his life (he says his anxiety makes him want to break things)... When he is awake he makes me remember why I didnt really like him before smoking weed/taking psychedelics together and the now pain turns him back into an ass. Weed made him tolerable for a year or two... I think he needs to hit rock bottom to feel how hard it can be to be Physically TOTALLY unbalanced and needing a SOBER period! Cuz you are right once you pass the overdose danger you hit the cant get high spot.
Wow, the kid seems like he needs a serious reality check. Who the hell does he think he is? I have severe anxiety issues but I don't use ot to justify violence.

If I was his parent I'd have sent him off to reform school or something. Something like that or jail might be the only thing that wakes him the fuck up, and even that I'm not sure about... you may have a budding little sociopath on your hands.

wow, im moving to canada!
seriously, NOBODY needs 6mg of clonaz and xanax a day. he's really fucked when this doctor gets found out to be a quack and sacked. he should try and taper to a lower dose and save his spare meds for a rainy day.

I 100% agree... The dosages he is being prescribed is way to high. and none of us not even you will probably convince him otherwise ... He is in his own little world right now while he is on those drugs, Just sleeping , doing the drugs, and dreaming. He needs to taper down or he will end up not waking up at some point... I am not trying to scare you, but thats just rediculous... and its not even like a certain one of those is too much its the simple fact that hes mixing benzos and opiates together, and pretty high doses of each.

Sociopath yeah we both are (runs in the family) but im neither violent or dangerous I just could and wouldnt care. He simply use excuses to act like a dick. Its not because you are numb to any good or bad feeling that you gotta be a pain in the ass. And yes he needs a reality check that even high amount of shrooms arent clearing. Hopeless.. ill let him eat all the crap he wants and stand back with my popcorn watching him throw up what could have possibly been his life cuz he wont explore much of life like that.. im just disappointed that I lost my pot buddy to a gigantic douche. (Sorry for the trash talk but i guess the ones with siblings will understand).