OUR VIEW: We need to talk about drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
OUR VIEW: We need to talk about drugs

Posted Oct. 13, 2014 @ 5:03 am

SCITUATE
Something needs to change.

The drug epidemic will never end if the system stays the way it is.

Some parents are actually buying their drug-addicted kids heroin because they see it as one of the only ways to get them long-term help.
When going the illegal route seems to be the only way toward a better life, it's time for drastic changes.

Gov. Deval Patrick made the right call in March to declare a public health emergency because of the growing heroin problem in Massachusetts. That declaration was an important step toward some quick solutions.

For one, first responders can now carry and administer Naloxone (Narcan) to help reverse the effects of an overdose. What some has called "the miracle drug" is now also available through standing order prescription in pharmacies.

The drug was used 2,000 times in the last year alone, Department of Public Health Commissioner Cheryl Bartlett said at a recent meeting in Scituate on opiate abuse.

Patrick’s declaration enabled the state also to shift more funding — $20 million — to the Department of Corrections and to Sheriffs’ Departments to increase treatment and recovery services to the general public.

It also asked the Interagency Council on Substance Abuse and Prevention to make recommendations for how the state should better coordinate services, ensure a full range of treatment regardless of insurance, and divert non-violent criminal defendants struggling with addiction into treatment programs.

But those measures are only just the beginning.

Bartlett presented some startling statistics at a recent opiate meeting in Scituate that show just how serious our fight is: Opiate abuse has spiked 90 percent in recent years; 60 percent of people in treatment are opiate addicts; and while the country makes up 5 percent of the world’s population, it consumes between 80 and 90 percent of the world’s opiates.

As with most things, fixing a problem that has been quietly worsening for years will take a lot of patience. There are obstacles like health insurance and rehab restrictions that have to be changed at a higher level.

But while the state does its studies and lawmakers work to change laws over time, there are local actions we can take to help.
Early intervention is key to breaking a bad pattern.

Locally, Scituate FACTS (Families, Adolescents, and Communities Together against Substances) has done a great job creating positive programming to help kids make better choices.

Continued here http://scituate.wickedlocal.com/article/20141013/NEWS/141019823/?Start=1

......................................................................................................

Patrick’s declaration enabled the state also to shift more funding — $20 million — to the Department of Corrections and to Sheriffs’ Departments to increase treatment and recovery services to the general public.

Why are these groups receiving the millions. Im all for development and access to treatment, but are these groups the most qualified to design, provide, and oversee treatment? I think not. Plus it roots the utterly failed criminal approach and its agencies in the picture. If im sick I don't go to the sheriff's office or a probation officer, I go to a trained professional. If I wanted to create a new football league I would not give money to orange growers.

Only stating things that we have known for years. Unfortunately countless more addicts will die before these morons come to their senses and fix the system.

Assuming it's a matter of the "morons" coming to their sense at all. Experience has taught me that it will require a lot more than people to come to their senses, not to mention they have very, very little to do so - especially with the most ability to change the system considering how much they benefit from it. Kinda like White Privilege.

Even once one has come to their sense about the existence of such a dynamic and power structure, most are so involved in it already and reap so much benefit from it they have less than even a little incentive to chance things and act in any kind of compassionate albeit reasonable way. You may call my cynical, but we live in a profoundly sick society.

Only means I can see to chance it is to make it so unbearable for those who benefit from the corruption and exploitation of their fellows in order to maintain the status qua that they are forced to do so for the sake of not just their livelihood - although that would be huge - but for their privilege to come crumbling down around them making them no less fair game to this corrupt system that they're forced to open their eyes.

This is why we need more vocal hard working role model type junkies as well as those who go against the "legal" rules and apparatus in order to exacerbate things to such an extreme that people have only one choice: open their eyes and see the status qua for what it is or, well, suffer just as we have suffered - or worse.

Once we reach a critical mass of sorts, only then will things even begin to chance.