Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Other Mushroom Alkaloids Tested

Pfafffed

Moderator: PD
Staff member

So, if we believe Gartz (1995), then baeocystin can potentially occur at concentrations 1/3 that of psilocybin in dried mushrooms.

Baeocystin is dephosphorylated into norpsilocin in the body.

If this new research is correct, then the use of a RIMA like syrian rue might prevent the breakdown of some of the norpsilocin. Norpsilocin is almost a full agonist at 5-HT2a, unlike psilocin. It's possible then I guess that in samples with a high baeocystin content, the molecule might influence the drug experience if an MAOi were taken.

We know that RIMAs make 4-subbed tryptamines stronger when taken alone (don't we?) so who knows what effect if any this really has.

Interesting. I've long wondered if the other alkaloids in mushrooms do affect the experience in some way, and whether there is any method of ingesting them that would produce worthwhile effects.

Or you could just eat some more of those sweet, sweet Weraroa novae-zelandiae ;-)

Creepy looking little buggers

baeocystin alone would likely not induce 5-HT2A receptor-mediated psychoactive effects in vivo.
Oh, I always assumed that'd be the one most likey to lead to the variance in effects reported amongst all the different species and strains, but it doesn't do anything? I didn't expect that at all.

I just searched and am going to spam your topic by answering my own question of what else it could be.
Simultaneous Production of Psilocybin and a Cocktail of β‐Carboline Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors in “Magic” Mushrooms

I have a very hard time believing it does nothing at all.