• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

OTC Drugs to get High

DsMfCooked

Greenlighter
Hello Everyone I am studying OTC drugs, as well as other things used to get high and was looking for feedback from people who have use any of the following substances, their use, side effects, and dosage. Also if they are being used in combination with methadone or buprenorphine. Also any substances I might have missed.
Roach Spray
Tianeptine "Gas Station Heroin"
Phenibut
Kava
Salvia
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)
Benzedrex (propylhexedrine)
Inhalers with levmetafetamine
DXM (Dextromethorphan) poor man's PCP
PEA
Imodium (Loperamide) "Poor man's Methadone
Etizolam and designer benzos flualprazolam, clonazolam, flubromazolam, and diclazepam "Poor man's Xanax"
Kratom
Synthetic marijuana K2/Spice

Prescriptions that are abused
Neurontin (Gabapentin)
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) "Poor man's cocaine"

Last edited:
Roach Spray
Is this even real? I remember an urban legend about crystallized wasp spray 'meth' but it was totally made up and probably very toxic to ingest. No buzz. Has this changed and we have a roach spray that actually gets you high?

I know that DXM has the reputation of a poor teenager's drug but it's a solid drug providing a nice high which isn't shy of other dissociatives. Specially the lower plateaus were lovely. Granted, it was my first drug, but I did it many times over many years and it was always great. Then I got my hands on methoxetamine and did that instead but I still think both are comparable. DXM is a tad more dirty though.

Bupropion has to be snorted to be a real stimulant and lasts only for ~30mins then you crash but the stuff remains into your body for a whole day and every redose accumulates. Remember that bupropion is seizurogenic and on some list it was #1 of seizure inducing medications around.

Benadryl is a delirant and nothing you want to take lightly just cause the acronym sounds like DXM.

Many of those I haven't heard of and some aren't OTC either (RC benzos for example).

Here in Engerland you can only really get codeine or dihydrocodeine with paracetamol or ibuprofen, both of which require cold water extractions. DXM is available in some cough syrups but often filled with senna to prevent abuse, giving you chronic diarrhea (I drank one bottle, a tiny dose of actual DXM and just ended up feeling sedsted/kinda stoned and sitting on the toilet for hours). I think you can get different brands which don't contain that but you have to buy several and would have to go to several pharmacies because they probs wouldn't sell more than one. Same with codeine/dihydrocodeine products. You can buy one at a time legally and if you go to the same place often they will clock you.

There are antihistamines such as benadryl which is a horrible drug from what I've heard, not recreational at all and best used as an antihistamine or sleeping aid, perhaps for itchiness bought on by opioids. There is promethazine which is another antihistamine also and is an ingredient in "lean" along with codeine, the latter of which it potentiates. Good for itches also and as a mild sleeping aid.

Other than that I don't know of any OTC "highs" and I think that a lot on your list don't technically count (such as aerosols, which aren't OTC) RC benzos and others.

OTC obv means over the counter, i.e. the stuff in a pharmacy you can't get off the shelves and so you have to ask at the counter for whatever pharmaceutical you are buying and may have to explain why you need it. Here they give you an obligatory "no more than three days as it is addictive and also do not take any other products which contain paracetamol" if you're buying co-codamol (8mg codeine to 500mg paracetamol, leaving a fairly decent dose after CWE).

I've heard that you can buy valium OTC in the wonderful island of Cuba and I'm sure that some other countries are more lax when it comes to certain pharmaceuticals. But here at least, the OTC pickings and pretty slim.

EDIT: seen that many of these aren't OTCs. Phenibut is prescription only if at all, or black/grey market. Wellbutrin is prescription only (given out to help quit smoking in the UK apparently, only by psychiatrists). Synthetic cannabinoids are not "OTC", they will be legally purchasable in some head shops along with salvia but synthetic cannabinoids ("spice") were blanket banned along with RC benzos and other drugs in the 'New Psychoactive Substances Act' - this led to a serious epidemic in some cities due to people synthesising all different kinds of super potent analogues or whatever and selling them on the street as "spice", a true zombie drug and it wasn't just media hype. It was bad news and became big in prisons due to the fact it can be sprayed onto anything, such as children's drawings which would be torn into tiny pieces of paper and rolled into cigarettes/joints. Perfect drug for jail as it would put people out for hours and many came out addicted. Quite a few people came off of heroin and ended up on the synthetic cannabinoids due to their potency and the fact that they are highly addictive. Kratom isn't OTC no pharmacy would stock it.

This is a bad list hombre.

Last edited:
do you know about Dramamine active ingredient Dimenhydrinate??? i was taking that when i was a teen and i would hallucinate and get pretty messed up... it's a pretty commonly used OTC to get high, not sure if it's similar to benadryl but from trip reports it sounds really similar.

Is this even real? I remember an urban legend about crystallized wasp spray 'meth' but it was totally made up and probably very toxic to ingest. No buzz. Has this changed and we have a roach spray that actually gets you high?

I know that DXM has the reputation of a poor teenager's drug but it's a solid drug providing a nice high which isn't shy of other dissociatives. Specially the lower plateaus were lovely. Granted, it was my first drug, but I did it many times over many years and it was always great. Then I got my hands on methoxetamine and did that instead but I still think both are comparable. DXM is a tad more dirty though.

Bupropion has to be snorted to be a real stimulant and lasts only for ~30mins then you crash but the stuff remains into your body for a whole day and every redose accumulates. Remember that bupropion is seizurogenic and on some list it was #1 of seizure inducing medications around.

Benadryl is a delirant and nothing you want to take lightly just cause the acronym sounds like DXM.
Benadryl is like the new DXM I think, in that teens can get it OTC and think that they will get a buzz but as you've said, DXM is a dissociative and has decent qualities (like weak ketamine I suppose) whereas benadryl is a delieriant and that is a class of drugs not to be messed with. I've read of benadryl giving very frightening hallucinations. I tried nutmeg as a kid when no other drugs were around and it was horrible - days of not knowing what was going on. Most people have heard of scopolamine - derived from the datura plant I believe. This is used in robberies as people enter a delirious state for days, become highly suggestible, will do things like empty their bank accounts for people and remember nothing. Long rumoured to be used in blackmail operations too, perhaps mixed in with a line of coke at a party attended by politicians, lawyers, showbiz types etc who end up getting filmed doing something they shouldn't and perhaps wouldn't, only to find out that they have been filmed doing such and ending up in an Epstein style black book...

Also, didn't the benadryl thing come from a tiktok trend? The "benadryl challenge"? I never used tiktok and only saw this in headlines so didn't pay attention but have noticed recently people asking about that shitty drug on blue light and wondering why the fuck they want to try it.

Last edited:
Just want to say that my original comment was right and that most of these aren't OTCs (over the counter pharmaceuticals). Some are legal highs, some are prescription drugs and some are illegal. My post contained OTC medicines that will get you high (or have some kind of psychoactive effects) but I don't think the OP understood what OTCs are and for the sake of clarity and harm reduction, this should be corrected and the thread perhaps renamed to "legal highs: OTC, prescribed, found in headshops or next to the bug spray" (BTW aerosols are really dangerous and stupid so don't do them).

RC benzos shouldn't even be on here unless they are still legally obtainable in some countries via head shops but they were blanket banned in the UK in 2014 I think and I doubt that etizolam or any of the many RC benzos aren't scheduled in the US.

Just want to say that my original comment was right and that most of these aren't OTCs (over the counter pharmaceuticals). Some are legal highs, some are prescription drugs and some are illegal. My post contained OTC medicines that will get you high (or have some kind of psychoactive effects) but I don't think the OP understood what OTCs are and for the sake of clarity and harm reduction, this should be corrected and the thread perhaps renamed to "legal highs: OTC, prescribed, found in headshops or next to the bug spray" (BTW aerosols are really dangerous and stupid so don't do them).

RC benzos shouldn't even be on here unless they are still legally obtainable in some countries via head shops but they were blanket banned in the UK in 2014 I think and I doubt that etizolam or any of the many RC benzos aren't scheduled in the US.
The designer benzo's are not benzodiazepines, that is just a moniker, they are thienodiazepines,, which are chemically similar and available as research products. There are several unscrupulous companies, mostly in South Africa which will ship these without a DEA number and they are inexpensive. Sorry you do not like the name of the post, not going to get into a discussion on semantics though. I do state that both Neurontin and Wellbutrin are prescription drugs. Phenibut is not a prescription drug in the US and can be bought in stores and online. I am just using OTC to describe what can be purchased opposed to illicit. Thank you for all your feedback.

The bug spray is real and used a lot in Tennessee and Kentucky, they will attach a piece of screen to jumper cables, then to a battery. They spray the bug spray on the screen and it crystallizes, they shake it, then spray some more. It can be snorted, smoked, intravenous, or rectally used.
This street drug is from abusing “roach sprays” which have a compound called “pyrethroids.” These compounds are synthetic versions of naturally occurring pyrethrins which are found in Chrysanthemums. The synthetic version is used because the natural version degrades when exposed to light. Pyrethroids are known to cause hyperexcitation by targeting sodium channels which are kept open for unusually long periods of time, which is thought to lead to the high.
It appears to provide two separate highs, when inhaled, or sprayed directly onto paper, tobacco, synthetic marijuana, or tea leaves and then smoke it or eaten it causes a severe reaction like the inability to speak or move, while also inhibiting the function of breathing. The user’s movements are slow and lethargic with a lot of drooling. The drug is highly addictive and produces a 45-minute, zombie-like high that leaves them nearly catatonic. Just a small amount can lead to an overdose.
When pyrethroids are crystallized through several unique processes, it acts more like a stimulant/hypnotic that provides a rush similar to methamphetamine and is often used with methamphetamine, to mask poor quality meth by dealers, increase the affects by users, or used as a replacement to meth when it is unavailable
Users of bug spray have used every conceivable route administration and have developed creative ways to crystallize it. This drug can huffed by spaying into a bag and inhaling. It can be “plugged,” “Boofed” or “Booty bumped” by using either the spray or crystals rectally.
One way to crystallize bug spray is to spray it on a hot surface or put it on a plate and put the plate in the microwave, which if it does not ignite or explode do to accelerants used in the can, it will cause it to crystallize. This purified material can then be inhaled or smoked. It can also be dissolved in water and injected intravenously.
In prison roach motels are put into plastic bags with paper, sealed, shaken, and placed in the sun. When the chemicals get infused on the paper, they eat or smoke it. It is also smuggled into prisons by being sprayed on letters and mailed in.
Pyrethroids modify the sodium channels in neuronal membranes, which are kept open for unusually long periods of time, and thereby disrupt the electrical signaling in the nervous system. When high doses of pyrethroids are ingested, pyrethroid toxicity shows hyperglycemia and elevated plasma levels of noradrenaline and adrenaline, which includes excitation and convulsions. High levels of pyrethrins or pyrethroids can cause dizziness, headache, nausea, muscle twitching, reduced energy, changes in awareness, and loss of consciousness. This can result in irreversible neurological damage, or even death.

Relatively little is known about the pharmacokinetics and short-and long-term effects of wasp dope. Pyrethroids are known to produce potent sympathetic activation, salivation, hyperexcitability, choreoathetosis and seizures. Pyrethroids have a half-life of tens of hours.

Additionally, it cannot be detected in drug screens, this is what makes it a concern for treatment providers, most of the other OTC products that stimulant users to get high are detectable but this one is not.

The designer benzo's are not benzodiazepines, that is just a moniker, they are thienodiazepines,, which are chemically similar and available as research products. There are several unscrupulous companies, mostly in South Africa which will ship these without a DEA number and they are inexpensive. Sorry you do not like the name of the post, not going to get into a discussion on semantics though. I do state that both Neurontin and Wellbutrin are prescription drugs. Phenibut is not a prescription drug in the US and can be bought in stores and online. I am just using OTC to describe what can be purchased opposed to illicit. Thank you for all your feedback.
Yeah I know, we used to be able to order etizolam from European RC vendors (along with drugs like MXE which was sold as ketamine during a drought leading to some interesting happenings) and it was all legal before the blanket ban I mentioned. These vendors still exist and I'm sure you can order successfully but most of the RC benzos such as bromazolam or the etizolam types (thieno) ended up in street valium tablets as organised crime groups bought up all the supply before the ban came into effect.

Anyway it's not semantics, it's just completely off. People come here looking for accurate info on drugs and a lot of the people who want to know about OTC "highs" are naive people and kids looking for a buzz. They should know what OTC drugs are as it is a specific range of actual psychoactive chemicals rather than a random list you've put together.

Not trying to be a dick but this is a harm reduction forum and telling people that "roach spray" is an OTC drug is potentially harmful.

The only OTC's that are worth using imo are Kratom, DXM, Kava, phenibut, and the benzo analogs. Also 2-FDCK.

We have so many threads dedicated to OTC drugs of abuse. I don't think it's necessary to open another one up. Also, this thread doesn't have an objective that we can hope to reach. It's more of an open discussion about drug use in general, only referring to "legal drugs" instead of illegal ones. It's not the type of thing that can be covered easily in this format. In just your initial post, you've listed over a dozen different substances, many from radically different chemical families.

I'm moving this over to Drug Culture to see if they think it fits there, but they may close it. If you have a specific question about one of these substances or even a few different ones together, we can help you out with that. For a thread to be effecftive in the HR forums, it really needs to have an objective that is clearly defined.

Objective: help teenagers "get high" (or people with no access to actual drug dealers).

Sorry but that seems to be the only objective I can see. And it shouldn't be labelled "OTCs"! I'm not being pedantic, its just misleading on a forum that is based around harm reduction, education and support. This list was terrible and could lead to some naive people doing very stupid things like ingesting "roach spray", eating too much diphenhydramine with all of its horrible side effects and going loopy with "spice". That combo is a potential recipe for disaster/psychosis/death.

I think that BL should only allow OTC threads if the discussion is based on actual OTC pharmaceuticals. Legal highs are varied and broad in the classifications of drugs you can get, as well as their legality in different countries/states whereas actual OTC drugs consist of a limited range of drugs in a few classes. Also lumping in prescription drugs makes the scope even wider - prescription drugs aren't "legal highs" and are only OTC when you pick them up from the pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor.

As I said, not semantics but harm reduction. Pretty sure people started trying to get high off of diphenhydramine as a result of a TikTok trend called the "Benadryl Challenge", which shows just how stupid it is and people should be warned off of taking any kind of deliriant to get "high". It is shit like this that gives credence to the moral panic types who see a few dumb kids do stupid things with ridiculous drugs and start a campaign, going on Oprah and testifying to Congress about how poor little Jimmy drowned to death after thinking he could walk on water after eating 50000mg of Benadryl capsules.

At least rename the thread to something like: "Legal highs: OTC, Head Shop, Prescription, online and in the Aerosol Isle at Home Depot - add to this stupid list".

Yeah I know, we used to be able to order etizolam from European RC vendors (along with drugs like MXE which was sold as ketamine during a drought leading to some interesting happenings) and it was all legal before the blanket ban I mentioned. These vendors still exist and I'm sure you can order successfully but most of the RC benzos such as bromazolam or the etizolam types (thieno) ended up in street valium tablets as organised crime groups bought up all the supply before the ban came into effect.

Anyway it's not semantics, it's just completely off. People come here looking for accurate info on drugs and a lot of the people who want to know about OTC "highs" are naive people and kids looking for a buzz. They should know what OTC drugs are as it is a specific range of actual psychoactive chemicals rather than a random list you've put together.

Not trying to be a dick but this is a harm reduction forum and telling people that "roach spray" is an OTC drug is potentially harmful.

We have so many threads dedicated to OTC drugs of abuse. I don't think it's necessary to open another one up. Also, this thread doesn't have an objective that we can hope to reach. It's more of an open discussion about drug use in general, only referring to "legal drugs" instead of illegal ones. It's not the type of thing that can be covered easily in this format. In just your initial post, you've listed over a dozen different substances, many from radically different chemical families.

I'm moving this over to Drug Culture to see if they think it fits there, but they may close it. If you have a specific question about one of these substances or even a few different ones together, we can help you out with that. For a thread to be effecftive in the HR forums, it really needs to have an objective that is clearly defined.
Thanks for your feedback, I am new to this site

The bug spray is real and used a lot in Tennessee and Kentucky, they will attach a piece of screen to jumper cables, then to a battery. They spray the bug spray on the screen and it crystallizes, they shake it, then spray some more. It can be snorted, smoked, intravenous, or rectally used.
Wow, thanks for your extensive post. People always find new, fucked up ways to get high. Did you try wasp dope yourself? I imagine it might have an incredibly thin "therapeutic window".

Wow, thanks for your extensive post. People always find new, fucked up ways to get high. Did you try wasp dope yourself? I imagine it might have an incredibly thin "therapeutic window".
No I do not want to try it, I have always worked with drug courts or methadone clinics where people try to use things to get high to avoid detection. It is dangerous and I want to learn more. The information people provide is going to be presented to the Opiate treatment Providers of Georgia annual conference. It is just harm prevention, I want to keep people safe.

Pretty sure people started trying to get high off of diphenhydramine as a result of a TikTok trend called the "Benadryl Challenge", which shows just how stupid it is and people should be warned off of taking any kind of deliriant to get "high".
Sounds made up.
We were fucking with it 20 years ago. Don't remember Tik Tok. You're not wrong though about how silly it is. :)

Sounds made up.
We were fucking with it 20 years ago. Don't remember Tik Tok. You're not wrong though about how silly it is. :)
Yeah I've never been on tiktok but saw some headlines about it. Think there are YouTube videos about it too. But I'm sure kids have been taking it since some older kids told them it could get them "high" as soon as that was figured out. I knew older kids who dried up grass and smoked it ffs. Literal grass. I was probably 12 and these guys were 15/16 and I knew then that they were idiots but then my parents openly smoked cannabis at home so I had a head start.

Objective: help teenagers "get high" (or people with no access to actual drug dealers).

Sorry but that seems to be the only objective I can see. And it shouldn't be labelled "OTCs"! I'm not being pedantic, its just misleading on a forum that is based around harm reduction, education and support. This list was terrible and could lead to some naive people doing very stupid things like ingesting "roach spray", eating too much diphenhydramine with all of its horrible side effects and going loopy with "spice". That combo is a potential recipe for disaster/psychosis/death.

I think that BL should only allow OTC threads if the discussion is based on actual OTC pharmaceuticals. Legal highs are varied and broad in the classifications of drugs you can get, as well as their legality in different countries/states whereas actual OTC drugs consist of a limited range of drugs in a few classes. Also lumping in prescription drugs makes the scope even wider - prescription drugs aren't "legal highs" and are only OTC when you pick them up from the pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor.

As I said, not semantics but harm reduction. Pretty sure people started trying to get high off of diphenhydramine as a result of a TikTok trend called the "Benadryl Challenge", which shows just how stupid it is and people should be warned off of taking any kind of deliriant to get "high". It is shit like this that gives credence to the moral panic types who see a few dumb kids do stupid things with ridiculous drugs and start a campaign, going on Oprah and testifying to Congress about how poor little Jimmy drowned to death after thinking he could walk on water after eating 50000mg of Benadryl capsules.

At least rename the thread to something like: "Legal highs: OTC, Head Shop, Prescription, online and in the Aerosol Isle at Home Depot - add to this stupid list".
Sorry, I am not renaming the post, the very first sentence is "Hello Everyone I am studying OTC drugs, as well as other things used to get high." That indicates it is not all about over the counter, sorry your so upset, but if you were interested in harm prevention maybe not label them as "dumb kids do stupid things with ridiculous drugs," or "add to this stupid list," that would probably make a first time or curious user not wanting to post a question because of people like you who throws out insults. If you are truly about harm prevention try not responding to peoples posts, you do not seem supportive or tolerant to other peoples questions." You seem to be the only one upset about the name of the post.
dumb kids do stupid things with ridiculous drugs