• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

OTC drugs recreationally

funkm8sterflex

Bluelighter
I was just wondering if there were any otc drugs that are good to use occasionally anymore. I sometimes take a lot of Benadryl and trip out for a while. Wanted to see if there was anything better I could easily get.

The answer to your question is that there is nothing anyone would call "awesome" available for purchase at your local pharmacy. I think if any drug were going to be used and appreciated from off the shelf, it would be Dextromethorphan (Robotussin). Still, I don't know anyone in my personal life who is wanting trip on DXM. I'd call it "good" at best and at worst., extremely uncomfortable and anxiogenic.

Check in with psychonaut wiki regarding dosages and you can try DXM out. Important note: make sure to identify whether your medication is short or long acting, the latter indicating that part of the medication is released immediately, while the rest will not come into play for several hours.

i used to take dramamine and that would give me some visuals, but also make my body feel like shit, and after taking it one morning i woke up with burning piss that lasted for months, so i can't say i'd really recommend it.

like the above poster said, dxm there are a couple users of blue light that still use dxm.. it's something i used to take as a teen and stopped taking cause i was worried about my health... honestly though, people seem to tolerate a lot of it and there are some studies saying that it can help with dementia, which doesn't really make any sense to me with how it feels to be on the drug.. supposedly they are giving people up to 240mgs A DAY for a period of time which i didn't catch while reading, but 240mgs will get me to trip out a little bit and get a pretty good buzz.. sometimes i've noticed the buzz to be shit and weighing me down, but another time i took like 350mgs and when i was vibing to the music it was pretty cool closed eye visuals like i'd dance through all these different shades of color... so i've had good and bad experiences with it.. sometimes it just makes me pass out or space out to the point nothing really happens which i don't really read people complain of. it's been kind of hit or miss for me... i think PolartheDog is the name of the poster that i've read that recently posts that takes it most often. i'm sure there have been loads of people here that have messed with dex through out the board being up. i bet a lot of them will say they don't like it or there are better drugs at least and there will be a few that do actually enjoy it.

i was thinking about making a thread "how bad is dxm for your organs", but i almost don't even want to find out, cause i'm interested in taking it and who knows if my body will handle it the same as the average person.. i read it can have some negative effect on some organs, but i hear of people taking like over 5 times the amount i take and they are fine.. haven't really decided if i want to try dex again. it's been like 18 or more years since i've used it now... i just haven't had access to psychedelics recently and don't really care to deal with dealers or mail order anymore, so picking up a bottle of dex is always a bit tempting to me... if you have any real psychedelics though, dex seems kind of stupid imo... i know some people like mixing it with shrooms or acid too. i dunno.

Guess it depends on the country. In the US, the only thing that comes to mind as remotely worth the trouble is dextromethorphan. It might be a bit tougher to get your hands on something that is straight dextromethorphan though, and just eating random cough medicines in the amounts you'd need to get high off it is asking for all sorts of trouble and bad times due to the other ingredients it tends to be combined with. Even then, it's honestly probably a funner time to just abandon OTC pills entirely and buy some alcohol/tobacco/kava/kratom or something like that.

Guess it depends on the country. In the US, the only thing that comes to mind as remotely worth the trouble is dextromethorphan. It might be a bit tougher to get your hands on something that is straight dextromethorphan though, and just eating random cough medicines in the amounts you'd need to get high off it is asking for all sorts of trouble and bad times due to the other ingredients it tends to be combined with. Even then, it's honestly probably a funner time to just abandon OTC pills entirely and buy some alcohol/tobacco/kava/kratom or something like that
Guess it depends on the country. In the US, the only thing that comes to mind as remotely worth the trouble is dextromethorphan. It might be a bit tougher to get your hands on something that is straight dextromethorphan though, and just eating random cough medicines in the amounts you'd need to get high off it is asking for all sorts of trouble and bad times due to the other ingredients it tends to be combined with. Even then, it's honestly probably a funner time to just abandon OTC pills entirely and buy some alcohol/tobacco/kava/kratom or something like that.
yea I’ve done dextromorphan a good amount of times and Benadryl, even Imodium and they really aren’t that worth it. I was just seeing if there was something I missed. Benzedrex (propylhexedrine) would probably be the best one but I can’t fail a drug test here which is part of the problem. I kinda just wanna get high honestly. I’ll see what I can come up with. Mabe I’ll make a run to the store and see what I can get.

Last edited:
One of the absolute worse trips of my life was off DXM. I don't remember how much I took because i went in and out of blacking out. When I wasn't blacked out, my body curled in on itself and I couldn't move and could barely talk. It was terrifying and felt like it was going to last forever. DXM was the only drug I took at the time so it was not an interaction with anything etc, it was just that. Just becareful, when a bad DXM trip is bad, it's REALLY BAD. I felt totally helpless, and terrified and again, couldn't move. My roommate at the time basically had to babysit me until I could move again.

I once tried high doses of OTC meds after searching around, I forget what they were but want to say dex and kava? I could be totally wrong. Anyways, both were pretty horrible times.

One I felt like I was tripping, out of my mind, the next day I get called into my office and my boss showed me an email I had sent during the night asking me what on earth it was. The email made no sense, it was just words thrown together I was so embarrassed having no memory of sending it, or what else I probably did.

The other med i got at a local vitamin/health store and kept taking large amounts and felt nothing so kept taking more. Finally i gave up and decided to go to the market and get some food, as im walking through the store my legs started not working right, I was holding myself up by the carriage just stumbling around. I remember trying to walk to my car and it was so difficult, there was a lady putting groceries in her car and I just kept saying "im sorry" because I must have looked like an idiot to her. I don't know how i drove home without crashing. My mind and brain were totally fine, just my legs wouldnt work. When I got home thankfully a neighbor was outside and I had to call him over to help me in the house, by this time my legs were totally useless. .

I took 300mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl)at 11am, then another dose of 100mg at 1230pm, and another 100mg at 320. This is really the only thing I get and since I’m at a sober living it’s basically the only thing I can come up with. Gonna take another 300mg in about 20-30 minutes at 300pm to 330pmOverall I feel pretty good. I’ll keep posted and see what happens so people can compare their experience to mine or see what it is like at those doses. I’m just pretty bored and trying to find something to do. If anyone has any ideas or knows of anything that is good to go with it it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to take benadryl until I hallucinated. I wouldn't recommend this, I felt I almost had a heart attack

I personally enjoy dxm very much

Especially robo tablets

Goddamn thoroughly enjoy a good robo trip lol

Have had periods I took low doses of dxm every day and settled into an odd baseline functionality, was oddly meditative, I did some art and enjoyed it a lot, got a lot of physical stamina and enjoyed yardwork and my warehouse/stocking type jobs

Oh wow they still have those OTC in Canada? I wish they had them here in the states as a pain patient that gets prescribed barely anything I think they would help to have sometimes.
Yes. They are 8.5mg I believe.

If you're in Canada there's otc codine but it has Tylenol and caffeine in i

I personally enjoy dxm very much

Especially robo tablets

Goddamn thoroughly enjoy a good robo trip lol

Have had periods I took low doses of dxm every day and settled into an odd baseline functionality, was oddly meditative, I did some art and enjoyed it a lot, got a lot of physical stamina and enjoyed yardwork and my warehouse/stocking type jobs
I’m gonna get some today. How many mg were you using when you were able to function? I think I’m gonna do the same thing.

I’m gonna get some today. How many mg were you using when you were able to function? I think I’m gonna do the same thing.
usually between 90mg and like ~210mg, I exclusively use the freebase robotablets especially if I'm like "functionally dosing" the key is to not pass the "second plat" or even get too deep into it, the "first plat" is ideal for functioning. Redosing is needed especially with a tolerance and a fast metabolism (i burn through food and drugs really quickly.) Basically you wanna get like 30-90mg in you and see how that's doing you at the moment and then as it wears off you can decide to "do a bit more" and by that I mean essentially another 60mg or so, rinse and repeat until you wanna let it fade and go to bed. Some days were low on the overall mg count and some days I would honestly push ~240-300mg but that was to keep me going for long periods and with a pretty healthy tolerance. Cannabis potentiates the dissociation, tobacco sharpens things up and makes it feel more entactogenic/stimulating. DXM seems to be the "tofu" of drugs for me at least it takes on the flavor of whatever else you throw into the mix. Caffeine is almost entirely unpleasant in "regular doses" on DXM for me, but low doses of psychedelics are fantastic. For some reason I always return to tobacco smoking as it seems to just, "fit" DXM for me. Personal favorite combination is with psilocybin mushrooms or LSD, DMT was also quite nice.