• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

otc codeine in canada without caffeine?

^Well it is an issue that codeine is a prodrug meaning injecting will not result in any sort of euphoric rush, there is also a risk of a severe histamine reaction resulting in your lungs filling with fluid as well.

after running water through the plunger once, is it worth doing it again? just to make sure you have picked up all the codeine, or is one plunge enough? also what's a good OTC potentiator for codeine?

You can choose to rinse the rocks again but will get a much decreased yield and increase your APAP content.

Potentiating with codeine is tricking business in that you want to increase the metabolism to active compounds by enhancing cyp2d6.
Inducers can be found here Awesome CYP-450 Chart!

Diphenhydramine usually goes extremely well with opiates since it helps with any adverse effects from a histamine release, adds to the sedating high, but it inhibits cyp2d6 which is not what you want with this prodrug.

Im not so sure about the cyp 2d6 inhibition thing. I have taken codeine when i have been on bupropion ( a strong cyp2d6 inhibitor although it does not use this pathway), dimenhydrinate and diphenhydrinate. None really altered the effects of the codeine at all.

As for buying AC&C's the cost varies from province to province abit and from store to store. Big chain stores such as walmart in some provinces carry 200 pill bottles of AC&C's for about $7 or $8. Where i live some places charge as much as $12 for 100 pills. Generally AC&C's due to being less popular are less expensive then the acetaminophen with codeine ones. Just make sure a pharmacist does not give you a bottle of name brand aspirin 222's as they cost a fucking fortune but the name brand is very rare. I have a bottle and package of aspirin 222's though just for historical purposes :\

Some provinces including my own ask you for ID sometimes or atleast name and phone number depending on where you go. Your also not supposed to buy more then 100 a month here but since it's not linked to another pharmacy you can just go to other ones.

If i broke any rules here about pricing or sourcing i'm sorry about that mods and please feel free to remove them and tell me to get the fuck inline ;)

And ya IVing codeine can very well kill you and if anyone has read junky by William S Burroughs it gives a good description of horrible a feeling it is.

is there a way to make this foul tasting solution taste any better, i generally chase it with some jucie but it still tastes like shit, i feel sick just thinking about drinking it! Is it possible to evaporate the solution down to a powder and cap it?

I add iced tea mix to my CWE hydrocodone. I'm not sure how different the codeine and hydrocodone tastes though.

is there a way to make this foul tasting solution taste any better, i generally chase it with some jucie but it still tastes like shit, i feel sick just thinking about drinking it! Is it possible to evaporate the solution down to a powder and cap it?
grenadine works very well, gives it a cough syrupy taste that still isn't great but it's def tolerable. sometimes i'll make a canadian-white boy"gangster lean" with life brand diphenhydramine elixir(no more than 100mg of course and some might want less, but suprisingly good tasting) with my cwe codeine water and pour it all over ice with some sprite. for some reason it seems like the cafeine effects me less this way also.. perhaps the fact that it's being drank in portions as opposed to a shot? i dunno haha never seems to disappoint me and tastes delicious

I just tried doing this with 20 of the Aspirin Codeine pills but it like filled up my entire syringe with only like 4 of the pills did I get a wrong size it has 0.5 ML 1.0 1.4 and 3.0ML marks on it or is that supposed to happen and it just takes like 5 different plunges with 20 pills lol?

Edit: GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I just google imaged 30cc syringe and I definitely got the wrong size I feeel sooo stupid fucking fucked up...

Last edited:

It helps me a lot to mix it with an entire can of juice concentrate, you can get them for less than 1.00 (my best was 89 cents). Mix your codeine cwe with an entire can and stir. It will still taste like shit but a lot less so, i use to chug it staright (hello gag reflex and nausea) anyway hope that helps

I've tried to evaporate it but all that you're left with is a thin film on the bottom of the glass you had it in. The amount of drugs left behind are so small that you have to drink (or plug) it, pills are mostly fillers and chalk or other drugs like acetaminophen, the codeine or oxy in them is not nearly enough to be snorted

Compared to doing a CWE, with this method, I don't "feel" the effects so much.. leading me to believe I'm not doing it right, or extracting enough codeine.

For each extraction, I use 10 AC&C pills, a 10mg oral syringe (actually 15mg total volume), and 4-5ml of cold water. After powderizing the pills, I stuff them into the syringe, and they take up about 2/3 of the syringe. I top it up with 3-5ml of cold water, then slowly push the plunger down over a 5-10min period. I repeat this process 3-5 times.

Can someone elaborate on how you know when the extraction is "done"? And exactly how much water to use? Do I let the solution filter by itself, over an hour or longer, or simply push the plunger down myself over a 5-10min period??

Would really appreciate an answer cuz being able to extract 300-400mg of codeine, sans caffeine, would be great.

If it's not possible... then I'd rather know and continue doing CWE on 25 pills and drinking the 200mg codeine/400mg caffeine product, it's quite simple.

Last edited:
^ I've PM'd you with some more detailed help with your problem

To the other posters:
I was not referring to shooting codeine. I'm talking about oral syringes, like the kind babies/small children take liquid medicine with, not needles.

If I have time I'll refill the syringe with water and run it through again, although I find the majority of the codeine makes it through on the first run.

As far as the taste of the solution, yeah it tastes incredibly bitter. I mix it with a bit of iced tea then chase it down with more.

I was not aware of different provincial rules. I live in Ontario (I'm the OP). You can ask at any pharmacy for "A C and C". If it's some new employee that doesn't know what you're talking about, just say "asprin with codeine". They come in sizes of 50, 100 and 200. It is, of course, cheaper per pill if you buy the larger sizes. If they ask you if you want generic or brand name, make sure you say generic. The brand name bottles with 30 pills cost about as much as a 200 pill bottle of generic.
There is a rule that some pharmacies follow where the pharmacist must approve of any codeine sale. Usually the employee just holds the bottle up, says "AC&C going out" or something, the pharmacist nods and that's it. You'll usually be asked "have you taken it before", in which you simply answer "yes". There has been the odd time where the pharmacist will ask what you're using them for. I just say "migraines" and that's a good enough answer for them. Although it's only happened to me twice ever, if you look young you may be asked for ID. They don't record any information, it's just to make sure you're at least 18. Note that I look very young for my age (I get ID'd for liquor every time), hardly any pharmacies follow this rule. As far as the max they can sell at one time, I have never run into this. Sometimes I buy up to 5 bottles of 200 pills at once. There doesn't seem to be a limit in Ontario.

Last edited:
Tommyboy, u got that right, when your sick,codeine is a WHOLE lot better than nothing,especially when your legs are cramping, adrenaline surging and you want to come out of your skin. Bothers me to even think about that shit.

You can eliminate all the caffeine with a chemical extraction or most with AC&C (aspirin, caffeine, codeine) by using a syringe column thing.
NSFW:

Over the years, I have developed my own technique for extracting codeine from OTC aspirin products. [Such products are over the counter (OTC) in places like Canada and the United Kingdom--not the USA -Ed.] I have read the FAQ and think that the cold water method is a good process, but that my process is better since it eliminates the bulk of the caffeine and is much easier to do. The only drawback of my process is that it doesn't work with Tylenol containing tablets. Thus the procedure below only is useful with AC&C type tablets from Canada.

Advantages:

* Removes almost all the aspirin.
* Leaves very little caffeine in the product.
* Is faster to prepare.
* Requires no power, refrigeration, or complicated equipment.
* Has built in filtration.
* Necessary equipment can fit in a small pouch or bag.
* None of the equipment is restricted.

Disadvantage:

* Doesn't work with tablets containing Tylenol.

The equipment needed is readily available and will fit into a relatively small pouch or bag. I will list the equipment below:

* 20 cc or 30 cc syringe, either glass or plastic (available at hobby or craft stores)
* Small piece of paper towel about 3 x 3 inches
* Mortar and Pestle (to grind tablets, or suitable substitute)
* Funnel
* Water
* Small collection bottle

Procedure:

Take the small piece of paper towel and fold it up so that it forms a plug about 1/8" thick that will fit the circular area of the 20 cc syringe that you have chosen. Get it soaked with water and push it down to the bottom of the syringe. Insert the syringe plunger and push it all the way down and press the paper at the bottom. The paper should form a plug that fits the shape of the syringe about 1/8 inch thick. Your filtering syringe is now ready for use. You only have to do this part once.

Grind about 20 AC&C tablets (160mg codeine) into a fine powder. I use a thick walled juice glass about 2 inches tall and a steel rod about 1/2 inch in diameter and 6 inches long. I place the 20 tablets in the bottom and break them each by placing the end of the steel rod on each tablet and pressing while twisting. After all are broken up, move the steel rod around against the walls for about a minute to grind into a fine powder. It is important that a fine powder be obtained. Note: AC&C tabs come from basically 2 manufacturers. One makes a little larger tablet that is much easier to grind. I get this one as a brand name called "Life". The other maker usually is the "Big V" brand. Both work well, the slightly larger tabs just grind easier.

Pour the powder into the open syringe. It should go in evenly. Use a funnel or a paper water cup with the bottom cut off to pour it in. In a 20cc syringe, it will fill about 10cc or so. Gently tamp down the surface of the powder about a quarter inch or so to make a firm surface. I use the steel rod to do this. Pour down the sides about 5 to 8cc of room temperature water. Pour it down the sides as to not break up the surface of the powder. Gently insert the plunger into the syringe and apply gentle pressure. You want the water to take about a minute to travel evenly through the powder. It is important that it travel evenly, if not then you made a mistake in grinding, pouring, or packing the powder. As the water travels through the powder, codeine's large solubility makes it concentrate in the leading edge of the water inhibiting the dissolution of the aspirin and caffeine.

Collect about 3 to 4 cc of the solution, about 60 to 80 drops depending on the syringe tip. This small volume of solution will have virtually all of the codeine and very little of the aspirin and caffeine. When done, withdraw the plunger. Then, many times, you can blow hard on the end of the syringe and the plug of aspirin will come out making it ready for next time.

This solution can be sterilized and IM injected or just taken orally. I usually do 2 of these batches into a 20cc small bottle. For oral use, I'll fill the rest of the bottle with water so that I can judge the dose more accurately. For IM injection, I'll put one batch in the bottle and add an equal volume of water. Then loosen the lid to allow pressure to escape and put it in the microwave for 10 to 60 seconds depending on the oven. Watch through the window and stop it when it starts to boil. Allow it to cool and it is ready for injection into one of many enjoyable spots. A fine point for IM, they put an acidic powder in the tabs which makes the product solution irritating when injected. This can be neutralized with a very small amount of baking soda. Don't add too much though, if the solution goes basic in pH it will be much worse than the original. If the solution doesn't fizz when you add the baking soda, you've added too much.

This simple technique is fast and efficient. I can perform this procedure in a couple of minutes. If you try this with tabs containing Tylenol, it will form a solid plug of powder and no matter how hard you apply pressure you won't be able to get any solution out. For Tylenol products, use the FAQ cold water technique.

by Focketman © 1998

Another option is Mersyndol (9.75mg Codeine, 450mg Paracetamol, 5mg Doxylamine succinate) which has the sedating dozylamine succinate instead of caffeine but I don't know its solubility.

Either way as this is a regionally specific question it belongs in North & South American Drug Discussion.

OD >>> NASADD

You rock man, I made a profile to this site specifically to thank you. This process worked like a charm!

However, due to restrictions I had to use a 10 ml syringe, which took about 3 times longer than you described. However, all the work paid off.

I used 100 count Life brand AC&C's, 10ml syringe, a shot glass for crushing, a plate for the crushees, a seive for the chunks, a bowl to collect the fine powder, a shish kabob skewer as a pokey, 3 pieces of paper towel, each replaced once they got too gunky, a small paper funnel to pour the powder into the syringe, and a whole lot of patience

I changed the amount in the syringe from 12 ml to 4, seeing as I was using a syringe 1/3 the size of yours. I also used water I had stored in the fridge instead of from the tap.

On a side note, I found that the syringe I used started to stiffen up as it was used. I think it may have had something to do with the acid? I'm not sure, I'm not much of a chemist. I suggest, if you do this, to have an extra syringe nearby in case, it helped me.

All in all, this took me about 2 and a half hours. Next time I'll buy a bigger syringe!

Anyways, thanks again, quite a lifesaver!

Hey man, I know it's taboo. But honestly, try plugging it. You don't get a bad taste, you have less nausea, and it hits you harder and faster. Plus you already have that syringe, just give it a good rinse before using it.

Don't listen to anyone who says that's "gay". It's not gay, it's smart. You're effectively doubling your drugs.

Just a thought. I wouldn't do it any other way. Would be a waste IMO.

I just tried doing this with 20 of the Aspirin Codeine pills but it like filled up my entire syringe with only like 4 of the pills did I get a wrong size it has 0.5 ML 1.0 1.4 and 3.0ML marks on it or is that supposed to happen and it just takes like 5 different plunges with 20 pills lol?

Edit: GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I just google imaged 30cc syringe and I definitely got the wrong size I feeel sooo stupid fucking fucked up...

Lol, you can still do it with a small syringe, it just takes a lot longer. If you have the patience, it will work. Just do everything on a smaller scale.

Your options for OTC codeine with no caffeine are:

Mersyndol. Contrary to what is reported above, it contains 8mg codeine, 325mg acetaminophen, and 5mg doxylamine. You skip the caffeine, but in higher doses you hallucinate...

Robaxcet-8. 400mg methocarbamol, 325mg acetaminophen and 8mg codeine. No caffeine, but too much methocarbamol will make you feel nauseated.

--
Otherwise,

There is also a formulation with 8mg codeine and 15mg caffeine and 325mg aspirin.

These products are all fairly expensive. The 8mg codeine/15mg caffeine/325mg apap can be picked up at a hospital pharmacy for about $3 however... I think it's 30 pills they give you? they also come in 50s, and I think 100 is the biggest size. For the rest, just go to a regular pharmacy. I've bought them with no problem, though you must ask for them - typically the pharm tech shows them to the pharmacist, the pharmacist nods, and then they sell them to you. Sometimes they will ask if you have used it before - say yes. That's it. This stuff has no recreational value though, though I'm thankful for it when I have legit pain.

Apparently, in Canada we also have:

Robaxisal-8, which is the same as robaxcet-8, except with aspirin. I have never bought this however.

Update . As of 2019 In Canada the acetaminophen containing concoctions have been reduced from 325 to 300mg. The codeine has stayed the same.Well that’s something to reduce liver damage but it’s not enough. Does anyone know the reason behind this change ?

Anyway I'm glad among this opiod crisis nonsense at least some things are heading In the right direction.
All hybrid opioid / Tylenol concoctions should be banned

Last edited:
As a further update, AC&C tablets are no longer avail. in Canada (in BC, at least)

Voluntarily pulled by the manufacturer, presumably due to lacklustre sales. Shame, my caffeine recrystallization method doesn't seem to work with Tylenol 1s.
Why I dont understand is why the caffeine is removed from the aspirin formulations but not the acetaminophen formulations. Doesn't make sense. Caffeine is VERY water soluble. It should be present in the final prep no matter what you do.

As a further update, AC&C tablets are no longer avail. in Canada (in BC, at least)

Voluntarily pulled by the manufacturer, presumably due to lacklustre sales. Shame, my caffeine recrystallization method doesn't seem to work with Tylenol 1s.
TBH I always forget there are other codeine combinations and have defaulted to tylenol no1. which is funny since the big brand for a decade has been lenoltech