• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

OTC alternative to snort to replace Ativan?

tennispro

Greenlighter
I have a presc. for Ativan and no refills... Can't really afford the trip to the doc to get a new script and the clinic I go to is pretty uneasy about writing it for me anyway... I really enjoy the calming effects of crushing and snorting one pill a night to relax while drinking wine... Is there anything at all OTC that could be a decent replacement that won't burn my nose off? Not sure I even need the pharmaceutical effects of the drug itself although that would be nice... I just enjoy the ritual of snorting it... any help greatly appreciated

No there really not any otc medicine you can snort or pop that would produce even similar effects.

there are holisitc meds like valerian root and chamomile that profess to have sedative effects but they're pretty useless.
depending on your locatiin you might eb able to access some first-gen antihistamines like hydroxyzine or promethazine

they're quite good at making you tired - plus theu also potentiate opiates whuch may be good ir bad dfor yiou i don't know i didbnt do anyutrhing show me the evidence

Promethazine isnt anything special. Its for baby colic.

There really isn't any OTC drugs similar in effects to Benzos, but it sounds like you're just looking for something sedating to snort because of a habit. I'd reccomend taking a sedative orally and snorting something non-psychoactive as it kicks in. The best legal sedative I can think of here is kava root. Its legal for all purposes, including recreational, and gives you a nice sedating buzz, halfway between nicotine and alcohol in power. Buy some root, put it in your cheek, and suck on it for a few minutes. Its safer than caffeine, unless you take it daily for over 3 months without a break, in which case it causes liver damage. It kicks in within minutes, so just take it and snort something with it. The only OTC pill I can think of that doesn't burn when you snort it is acetominophen(Tylenol), but it doesn't pass the mucas membrane and get absoarbed into your bloodstream so it clogs up your nose. Hopefully someone else knows a better one to snort, but try the kava.

Snorting phenibut is not smart, it'd burn pretty bad I think.

Snorting anything is not a very good way to take drugs... can you not take your ativan under the tongue?

Snorting phenibut is not smart, it'd burn pretty bad I think.

Snorting anything is not a very good way to take drugs... can you not take your ativan under the tongue?

fuck! that sucks... the problem is I don't have any refills on the ativan, no insurance, and paying cash at this clinic is expensive and they were reluctant somewhat to give it to me in the first place, when this bottle is done it will be 5 months of taking it.... Are we sure this phenibut would burn? What about this stuff?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/L-Theani...nline&wl12=162860222&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

Do you have some kinda snorting fetish? Im not even sure you absorb as much let alone more by snorting it. Benzos are i am pretty sure extremely bioavailable orally and sublingually.

Anything you buy at the store wont make you feel drugged like mixing alcohol and benzos.

I do not think the ritual will do anything without the drug being paired with it. I find chewing tobacco to taste relaxing if it stopped making me high id quickly stop tasting relaxing and go to tasting like garbage.

Do you have some kinda snorting fetish? Im not even sure you absorb as much let alone more by snorting it. Benzos are i am pretty sure extremely bioavailable orally and sublingually.

Anything you buy at the store wont make you feel drugged like mixing alcohol and benzos.

I do not think the ritual will do anything without the drug being paired with it. I find chewing tobacco to taste relaxing if it stopped making me high id quickly stop tasting relaxing and go to tasting like garbage.

Well, I guess I have sort developed one... when first tried it (wife's presc.) I just swallowed... then started putting under tongue, and for some reason decided to try crushing/snorting and just enjoy the ritual of it... Never used drugs much... just drink way too much red wine at night and enjoy the little effect of snorting something up my nose... so fuck, there has to be something that could replace the ativan if I can't get access to another presc... probs. only have 8 or so pills left

Sorry i think some of my personal bad experiences with sleeping pills and alcohol almost killing me made me unintentionally type more aggressively then i meant. What about 0 mg flavored vape pen you could get a strong smelling relaxing vapor so you can have something sensory to relax without causing as much harm to your nose.

Yes, I snort them now... I am just running out and am in a bad place to get a new 'script and need a replacement :(

Ok. In the right thread now... There are 2 posts in Drug Culture about substituting snortables for addiction to snorting behaviour. I believe they are both on the 1st page of threads.

Thats sounds about as effective as gambling with fake money or using sillicone for a sex addiction. Or wine without alcohol - grape juice

I just posted in a thread with a similar theme where the OP was looking for an easily acquirable substitute for Amphetamine and I told him that there really wasn't. Unfortunately, this is the case for you as well. Benzodiazepines are relatively powerful sedatives and although their effects can seem mild at times, make no mistake that Benzodiazepines will cause serious changes in your physiology. These drugs, that seem mild at times, can cause insane addiction and dependence and can produce the most nightmarish withdrawal syndrome one can experience.

As far as OTC substitutes for Benzodiazepines, you'll find nothing as effective in terms of OTC pharmaceuticals. As some other posters have said, Phenibut is an OTC supplement that can actually produce pretty strong anxiolysis and sedation and is a reasonable substitute for something like Lorazepam (Ativan), but it too can cause severe dependence and according to what many have stated, the withdrawal from Phenibut is no laughing matter. It's too bad that you can't see your MD, because I feel that Gabapentinoids (Phenibut, Gabapentin, Pregabalin) are really the best and most reasonable treatment for anxiety and/or depression. This is just my opinion, based upon my own experience and others'. Gabapentinoids can produce a noticeable decrease in anxiety from the first dose, unlike say, SSRI's which take weeks. These drugs are still abusable and can produce dependence and withdrawal, but in general, these effects are more mild with Gabapentinoids.

I am not here to judge you, but I want to give you some advice. It sounds like you're already in a position where you're abusing your medication just to feel normal or without anxiety. Drinking with Benzodiazepines is not a good thing. Drinking one alcoholic beverage with one pill is nothing to write home about, but you need to bear in mind that combining these substances produces a synergy (2+2=5). This could raise your tolerance faster and you could easily end up with a dependence upon both Alcohol and Benzodiazepines. Just be aware of your thought process. We will be here for you no matter what, but we would prefer you, for your own sake, to avoid going down the road of addiction.