• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids/Opiates long term affects..

JET IV

Greenlighter
Sorry if wrong place for this still new heat and learning. Hey everyone I’m a 25M and I’ve been noticing now for the last year and a half something isn’t right with me. I’ve been recreational using since I was 11 with booze, weed, cigarettes was all I did up until 15 when I then got into hallucinogenic’s “Which honestly really helped me deal with past trauma, lessening my depression etc” and Coke I did this until 18 on my 18 birthday into then graduating HS I tried myself good just about every drug in my system got some bad cut MDMA pills for an unknown source. I should have just taken the things I knew were solid and trusted but I was 18 and didn’t think there was a thing to bring me too a breaking point so to speak. So after that I lost my mind bad and was out on a lot of prescriptions that’s when I got introduced really to Benzos and I’ve been prescribed them all but I’ve been on Clonazepam since 18 till now no breaks really I use to be on 18mg’s a day and lowered myself down years ago for good reasons to 2-3mg’s a day. Now I’ve been on opiates nonstop since 22 but I did them all through my teens and was on them a lot from 20-22 and nonstop since 22 to now 25 so for 3 1/2 years on high high doses. My problem is I’m having what feels like heart issues seriously problems and not anxiety/panic attacks trust me I know the difference. Right before Covid happened I got sober from drinking and was two months sober before lockdown and still am too this day 2 1/2 years no booze. Now during this time though I got very depressed like a lot did and I absolutely messed myself up just snorting pills barely moving from my chair to bed for a year and a half and just now got my life back together and trying to get better at cutting back the pills etc. During that year and a half tho I gained 35 pounds going from a fit 23 Y/O weighing 185-190 absolutely ripped too 225 and at one point before getting better was at 238 and I’m 5’10 always been very athletic my heart pumping good and healthy from working out and my lifestyle in general. Now I don’t know if those 2 years and all the weight gain and when I mean literally barely moving from bed to chair I’m not joking it was disgusting.. My heart now is off anytime I do my painkillers my past a point my heart just goes all the way to 90-110 BPM while literally just sitting resting or laying down resting and hard to breath etc. I’m more active now and am kissing weight trying to get back to a better shape me but anytime I’m snorting which can be SUPER low doses my heart and breathing just aren’t right at all. 1mg of Dilaudid or 2.5mg or oxy every 1-2 hours snorting should not have me this messed up. I want to stop and I’ve gotten better and will but what is happening to me.. Did I really mess up my heart and lungs this bad? Has all these years of snorting and orally taking my pills really permanently messed my heart up? I’ve had some damn near heart attacks from it if actual heart attacks. I’ve been to the ER for it a couple times now and then get scared and make it about pain or something so they don’t check my heart to much other then I assume what they get from blood work and an EKG. I’ve been at points after a line where I’m going cold pain/weakness on my left side of my body clammy hands and or feet shit like that or just my heart racing and stay high up till I end up sleeping then it goes to a normal 50-60BPM during sleep and when I wake up and my first few doses I’m fine everything is normal but after a few hours and more doses I’m fucked again all day pretty much. I’m just really concerned and I need to know if I need to stop snorting now and if so WTH do I do just oral I’ve never plugged anything besides MDMA so do I just plug my pills while figuring things out and cutting them back? I have chronic issues and I’ll always need some kind of medication for pain to many surgeries and some illnesses etc. I appreciate any and all recommendations and knowledge so much thank you ahead of time!

First, let me welcome you to bluelight! :)

Sorry if I don't relate to all you've posted, my attention span is quite bad at the moment due to, what else, past drug use.
I have tachycardia as well, when I don't take a beta blocker I have a resting BPM of 100-120 and feel constantly nervous and tense. Propranolol proved to aid with this, it gets my BPM down to 70-80 and when taking the higher dosage before sleep then it aids with falling asleep as well. But downsides are a little tiredness over the day. I don't know where my tachycardia comes from, I was on SNRI antidepressants for most of my adult life (16 years as of now) and just recently kicked them. I doubt that opioids will affect the heart, at least in their pharmaceutical/pure form they're quite non-toxic to the body. Regarding the brain things are a bit different, we have a few threads about stuff like exacerbated ADHD but for most people it's primarily about the addictiveness, tolerance and withdrawal from opioids.

Did you visit a normal doctor, not an ER/psychiatrist/etc about your heart and lung issues?

Do you snort pills? This is notoriously damaging to the lungs because you inhale all these non-soluble fillers along the wanted substance. But even if you do, don't worry too much (as it can't be undone anyways) - one's body is awesome in repairing itself, just give it time and support, like a med against high heart rate.

If you require painkillers due to real physical pain, there are options to try to limit tolerance development, like ultra low dose naltrexone or dissociatives (NMDA antagonists) like memantine. These agents can also aid you in getting sober if you want to.

No your totally fine I understand it’s a long post! I use to be on Propanolol! I was in it after I got sober from drinking because of my BP and BPM it worked great but then my doctor switched me too clonidine 0.4mg’s daily which works but honestly feels like it makes me worse especially once you get to that 8-12 hours after taking waiting for the next one. It also has horrible rebound hypertension if not taken on time making my BP and BPM shot up around that 12+ hours after last dose.. Which can be a problem say if you took it last stayed up for 8-10 hours then fell asleep for 8 hours then your 4-8 hours late and wake up BP AND BPM high.. I should really starting working out more like I have and taper of clonidine and go back to Propanolol I feel like that would probably really help me. Yes I do snort a majority of my painkillers everything else I take orally. I usually take 2-3 of my Oxy’s or Morphine orally and then snort another 10-20mg’s when I wake up and the rest from there is every 1 1/2 - 2 hours is snorting till mid day and evening I’ll take another orally and then snorting again till bedtime. It’s a bad habit but it truly feels like orally is a waste and does not work as well for pain.. I’ve really considered plugging many seem to swear by it. I have Oxy’s IR 10mg, ER 30mg morphine, and IR 4mg Dilaudid’s. The morphines don’t do much unless I crush them and put them in water over night so 6-8 hours then knock that back when I wake up etc. It’s hard to find out what to do when at work because orally will have me in to much pain to work damn near and rectally well isn’t an option at work and I still haven’t tried it. So snorting is the fastest and most effective way of treating my chronic pain while at work. I can hardly even snort my Dilaudid’s anymore expect when I first wake up because snorting a 4mg Dilaudid had me feeling like I’m about to drop from a heat attack and I never had that problem before in life so it’s really concerning.. I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on with me. I did talk to my primary about it and that’s when he switched me to clonidine and it did help a lot at first but then again maybe I got addicted to the fact that it would make you nod and pass right out with no tolerance so when mixed with my medications and that at the start I would just nod and straight pass out wake up hours later wondering WTH just happened. I realized pretty quick it was the clonidine but I’ve been on it for well over a year and take it as normal and it kinda makes me tired on my second dose but nothing like it was those first couple months. I’m just genuinely trying to figure out what’s wrong with my heart why it’s speed up so high and especially after taking my pain meds no other meds of mine do that at all.. It’s just very concerning and I’m in a lot more pain because of it because of the fact I can’t be comfortable if my BPM is 90-110+ while sitting or laying down. I’m fine around 70-80 if I did a lot or stressed out etc I know it will be higher but I shouldn’t be taking my meds and be at 85-90+ with no stress not thinking about anything negative just relaxing and it’s jacked up there. I understand I could have baseline anxiety still and even just thinking about my BPM being high and just feeling my heart pound could make me anxious hence higher BP AND BPM. I’m very self aware of these things I would hope so I have a degree in Psychology and have always been a very high awareness person in general my whole life. I just genuinely can’t figure out what’s going on if the pills are making this worse and if it isn’t do I really have a problem or needing to get back into a more healthy lifestyle with losing this extra weight faster and more cardio or is it really all in my head or a little of everything hard to say. Maybe it is just a bit of everything. I was just looking to see what others like your self have experienced and in result has it made you take less of your medications because your BPM is just going to high for any remote comfort?

Wow, you tolerate 0.4mg clonidine daily? I got unbelievably tired and eventually depressed from just 0.075-0.15mg. Was using it against anxiety, tension and related stuff - don't know whether I already had tachycardia at this time. But yeah clonidine needs to be tapered, specially if you have an underlying condition. I guess your doc gave it to you for help with quitting the alcohol? It's often used to aid with withdrawals of all sorts, but possibly he'd switch you back to propranolol if you ask him? Or even one of the moderner beta-blockers like metaprolol or bisoprolol which don't penetrate the CNS and thus no tiredness. Oh, the worst in an interesting way was bisoprolol+clonidine. Like all strength sucked out of my body, I could barely walk but felt at peace due to all the epinephrine being blocked, We need it but it's also coming with bad side effects.

I fully understand the habit of snorting pills, the nose is my favorite route to administer drugs and yeah I too have snorted some pills but I try my best to leave the nose for powders of good quality (which means water soluble so that anything eventually entering my lungs would get dissolved and taken up. Talkum for example is a notorious offender contained in most pills.)

Did you ever hear of NMDA antagonists/dissociatives aiding with slowing tolerance development to opioids down? So you could eventually settle for a low dosage with similar effects. Like dextromethorphan (DXM) or memantine, for both agents the interactions are well documented and some pain docs prescribe them alongside opioids.

Btw, I guess you'd get more responses if you'd structure your writing a bit. No offense! It's just hard to read for many.

Sorry if wrong place for this still new heat and learning. Hey everyone I’m a 25M and I’ve been noticing now for the last year and a half something isn’t right with me. I’ve been recreational using since I was 11 with booze, weed, cigarettes was all I did up until 15 when I then got into hallucinogenic’s “Which honestly really helped me deal with past trauma, lessening my depression etc” and Coke I did this until 18 on my 18 birthday into then graduating HS I tried myself good just about every drug in my system got some bad cut MDMA pills for an unknown source. I should have just taken the things I knew were solid and trusted but I was 18 and didn’t think there was a thing to bring me too a breaking point so to speak. So after that I lost my mind bad and was out on a lot of prescriptions that’s when I got introduced really to Benzos and I’ve been prescribed them all but I’ve been on Clonazepam since 18 till now no breaks really I use to be on 18mg’s a day and lowered myself down years ago for good reasons to 2-3mg’s a day. Now I’ve been on opiates nonstop since 22 but I did them all through my teens and was on them a lot from 20-22 and nonstop since 22 to now 25 so for 3 1/2 years on high high doses. My problem is I’m having what feels like heart issues seriously problems and not anxiety/panic attacks trust me I know the difference. Right before Covid happened I got sober from drinking and was two months sober before lockdown and still am too this day 2 1/2 years no booze. Now during this time though I got very depressed like a lot did and I absolutely messed myself up just snorting pills barely moving from my chair to bed for a year and a half and just now got my life back together and trying to get better at cutting back the pills etc. During that year and a half tho I gained 35 pounds going from a fit 23 Y/O weighing 185-190 absolutely ripped too 225 and at one point before getting better was at 238 and I’m 5’10 always been very athletic my heart pumping good and healthy from working out and my lifestyle in general. Now I don’t know if those 2 years and all the weight gain and when I mean literally barely moving from bed to chair I’m not joking it was disgusting.. My heart now is off anytime I do my painkillers my past a point my heart just goes all the way to 90-110 BPM while literally just sitting resting or laying down resting and hard to breath etc. I’m more active now and am kissing weight trying to get back to a better shape me but anytime I’m snorting which can be SUPER low doses my heart and breathing just aren’t right at all. 1mg of Dilaudid or 2.5mg or oxy every 1-2 hours snorting should not have me this messed up. I want to stop and I’ve gotten better and will but what is happening to me.. Did I really mess up my heart and lungs this bad? Has all these years of snorting and orally taking my pills really permanently messed my heart up? I’ve had some damn near heart attacks from it if actual heart attacks. I’ve been to the ER for it a couple times now and then get scared and make it about pain or something so they don’t check my heart to much other then I assume what they get from blood work and an EKG. I’ve been at points after a line where I’m going cold pain/weakness on my left side of my body clammy hands and or feet shit like that or just my heart racing and stay high up till I end up sleeping then it goes to a normal 50-60BPM during sleep and when I wake up and my first few doses I’m fine everything is normal but after a few hours and more doses I’m fucked again all day pretty much. I’m just really concerned and I need to know if I need to stop snorting now and if so WTH do I do just oral I’ve never plugged anything besides MDMA so do I just plug my pills while figuring things out and cutting them back? I have chronic issues and I’ll always need some kind of medication for pain to many surgeries and some illnesses etc. I appreciate any and all recommendations and knowledge so much thank you ahead of time!
What you're taking absolutely SHOULD NOT be doing that ; and please get yourself checked out by a physician ASAP. Don't fucking lie about anything out of embarrassment either, or you won't get a correct diagnosis. You're going to have to own up to your drug use and describe everything as you just did in this post, ie exact nature of the symptoms you experience and what brings them on. The sooner you get this issue investigated the better. This isn't something to ignore.