• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Opioid Potentiation?

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey my friends,

I posted a week ago they gave me 100mg Gabapentin and kept the dose low because it might make my suicidal ideations worse. I have only taken it 3 days and it did nothing.

What is a solid dose to take that will help with pain? A lot of people said Pregabalin might be the best option but until I can switch, what is a good dose to help with pain? In the morning 20MG Oxy helps a decent amount but 10MGx2 doesn't help at all so I'm hoping there is a dose of this that will help me feel just okay

wow nah gabapentin WILL NOT replace oxy in any way shape or form. and i dont even mean to sound like a downer on that one, i'm being honest. i've taken 10's of thousands of mg of it with thousands of pregabalin and.....it helped but still even then, not as much as morphine does, maybe it didn do as much as oxy would at those levels i was taking but... NO ONE should take the doses i have and even then, i was taking them for anxiety and to take the stim edge off of ALOT of amphetamines.

What was the point of a Pain doctor giving me this stuff? I am not taking it everyday, does it need to build up? Or can I take 300MG in between Pain doses to make the wait not as terrible ? I'm just confused

What was the point of a Pain doctor giving me this stuff? I am not taking it everyday, does it need to build up? Or can I take 300MG in between Pain doses to make the wait not as terrible ? I'm just confused

I thought the exact same thing!
I didn’t notice it doing anything and took it a full month thinking maybe it just has to build up or something.
Not until I stopped taking it did I notice a difference and that difference was “Holy Shit! That stuff has made me psychotic!”
seriously, landed me in the hospital stopping that stuff cold turkey after a month of no noticeable effects at all!

I didn’t notice it doing anything and took it a full month thinking maybe it just has to build up or something.
Not until I stopped taking it did I notice a difference and that difference was “Holy Shit! That stuff has made me psychotic!”
seriously, landed me in the hospital stopping that stuff cold turkey after a month of no noticeable effects at all!

Should I just throw this in the trash? People are saying Lyrica 600MG can help but I am unstable and that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that

Thank you. Yeah, visiting the psych ward was a whole new level of horror for me.

If it was me, I would throw them in the trash or just keep them for opiate withdrawal purposes. Some people say they help with that but honestly, I had such a bad experience with those. I wouldn’t take them. At all!

It is just hard to say because others say they do help. But, they have the possibility of being very horrifying also.
I can’t make that decision for you. Just be aware and be very careful. I don’t want you to experience that!

It really sounds like you need to pressure your doctor a bit more. If you are suffering that much in between doses, that is just bullshit.
You are a veteran and obviously have chronic pain and injuries. It is a human right to pain control. Don’t let them kid you.
I’m sorry that you are suffering so badly.

Your Dr either hadn’t got a clue, or is failing to explain the way in which it works, and why at conception it is an anti-epileptic, but also is prescribed for “pain” as well as anxiety.

It has a neuropathic effect on nerve response and sensitivity, through its calcium channel blocking properties. The anxiety relief comes from its downstream increase of gaba receptor activation.

@FutureReference with your opioid painkiller it will boost the effectiveness and synergise so you may feel its help more then. As Zon said, for generalised or specific pain of any kind, it is never used as a primary. Hope this helps mate 👍.

Hey future reference! I've had a lot of surgery in my life, so I feel you on how hard it can be. I really think that you should give Gabapentinoids a proper shot before moving on to the next trial. Let me start out by providing a little research sample that might interest you regarding the concurrent use of Gabapentioids with Opioids. In short, it would appear that the former has a demonstrated ability to reduce the need for Opioid painkillers. This article concerns Pregabalin (Lyrica) specifically, but after a short trial of Gabapentin (Neurontin), you shouldn't have trouble upgrading.

I can say from personal experience that Pregabalin does reduce the need for Opioids. I'm only speaking of my own experience, but that experience closely mirrors this study.

You say that you're not experiencing any effect from the Gabapentin right now, so I really would encourage you to take a look at some of the stuff here on Bluelight and moreso on Reddit concerning the most effective ways of using it. It's bioavailability is effected greatly by things like having a high fat environment in the stomach or, making sure to space dosages out. If you have any questions dude, please feel free to send me a message and we can talk about it! Much like my sweet, sweet Lainee, you'll find my box is always open.

Painful One: I guess it shows how totally fucked up I am in the head when I say that I've always considered the psych ward sort of like an all-inclusive two week vacation. I would generally spend the time totally blitzed on a cocktail of Methadone/Buprenorphine, sedatives and even the occasional anti psychotic if I was feeling frisky. Speaking of feeling frisky, I also have met two separate love interests at detox/psych wards. Lara was definitely a keeper, but when she would drink she'd get a little crazy. Lainee was not a keeper in any way, but she was cute and she laughed at my stories and her levels of sheer insanity and machiavellian sociopathy made me feel better about myself. However, our love was simply too strong for the universe to handle. Also she would beat me and call me names like slut/whore/jew-boy :cry: ...but that's neither here nor there.

I will tell you the Federal Prison system uses Gaba (like candy) to replace opiates for inmates who come in with legitimate prescriptions. Within 9 months I was taking between 900 - 1800 mg a day. So, I do believe your dosage is on the low side for sure. However, if I remember correctly, and this was nearly 20 years ago, one needs to build up. So, you may very well be on a decent beginning dosage. Like others have said, NO real substitute for opiates. As they say, Believe that!

Lyrica made me manic the first day I took it, nasty drug for me

Thank you all so much for the replies and help! I am sorry for going ghost just been down and didn't want my negative energy affecting anybody.

My Psychiatrist recommended Lyrica and yesterday my doctor changed the Gabapentin 100MG 1x daily to Lyrica 50MG 3x daily. My pharmacy didn't have it but will tomorrow so I am praying for a miracle. Is that a solid dose or would it help more to take 150MG when the pain is at its worst in the morning.

I'm sorry for not doing my research but never have been on Gabapentinoids. What is the half-life like? And is it more of an instant relief like Oxycodone or must it build up like an SSRI to be effective? Lastly, is there any specific "feeling" to expect? Like my Clonazeoam gives me relaxation and Oxy helps pain from a 10 to a 7. Sorry for manic responses and thank you again

It really depends on your pain type and cause. The Pregabalin is stronger than Gabapentin but Still better with staggered dosing. If you take it an hour before your Oxy, it will sync up quite well.

Effects are usually some relaxation but not like a benzo, and sociability with some dizziness sometimes!!

Last edited:
from personal experience gabapentin(oids) do if fact potentiate most anything ; including oxy, hydro, H, crack, blow, meth, weed, benzos and probably some shit i've forgotten. problem for me and many others is that tolerance builds fast with gabas and they can bring their own demons.
where i am currently they have quit (generally) prescribing gabas and opiods in together. it seems to be a national thing in the US now. fuckin' junkies potentiating shit with what use to be harmless substance that could have been gotten anywhere. :p
I am not in Michigan but here
think the pushing federal fuck i dont know....
bout to take 5mg diazepam and 300mg gabapentin. want to get some rest tonight. been a long and tiring day.
i was getting gabas and oxi recently but dropped the oxy for kratom.
man i hope you get right... its a hard knock life just gotta knock back twice as hard. :sus:
love

Last edited:
Hey Future,

I changed my mind on the Gabapentin. It is working wonders for me!
You just have to find the right dosage or the room will start tilting sideways on you. Lol!

It has cleared up ALOT of my chronic pain and is helping my sleep problems (got diagnosed with narcolepsy).
It is good stuff. Worth giving it a try, even with me going psychotic and landing in the psych ward from cold turkey-ing this drug,
I am glad I gave it another chance. I will just never cold turkey it again!

Hope you are okay? It has been a long time since we heard from you. Are you doing alright? Check in please.
I worry about you my friend. It would ease my mind to hear from you brother.
❤️