• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioid experts only please need advice

silentftw

Bluelighter
Hey guys, so i'm out of my 10 mg oxycodone pills. i abuse them not use them correctly. anyway getting ready for the withdrawl but i have a question that i know only a very experienced opioid user could answer.

If i have roughly a tolerance of 20 mg aka 20 mg will get me slightly buzzed 30 mg will get me pretty high, and im in day 2 of withdrawl. AND i found 1/2 a pill 5 mg. Heres the question

Since my body is screaming for about 20 mg of oxycodone, would taking 5 mg make it scream for 15 mg, thus making me feel slightly better and on the withdrawl
goes or, Is even putting a single milligram in my body on day 2 of withdrawl regardless of making me feel better RESTART my withdrawl all over again from day1?

That is my question. will it completely restart the withdraw or what will it do. a way lower dose than threshold tolerance.

Also i read in the withdraw mega thread the symptoms of all withdraws based on dose. ive never vomited , none of that. i just feel like EXTREMELY tired for the first couple days especially to where i literally am worthless at work. like i will get to a job-site lock myself in the bathroom and just pass out. this is in day 1 and 2 of withdrawl. although everyone else seems to have opposite symptoms. just wondering if anyone gets unbelievably tired as well. as well while Im tired i have no motivation and unpleasant sensations in my body. and no interest in anything (tv games etc)

Last edited:
A low dose might help some of the withdrawal symptoms but you do run the risk of wanting to take more. One low dose wont affect your withdrawal timeline too much, as long as the dose is low enough to make you functional, not lightly buzzed.

It might be more effective to switch the opioid you are using. Most people find it near impossible to taper off their opioid of choice. Maybe consider kratom or or DHC to help WDs instead?

i dont have any more to take. so it wont prolong, or restart a withdrawl off a low dose like that ? i usually take 20-40 mgs

I said that taking a low dose to stave off pain during WD wont restart your tolerance. I might have misworded in my first post.

Honesty, it's a shot in the dark with shit like that. But generally it's better overall to not do it.

From my experience, which was with a very significant heroin habit.

Taking a small dose won't fully restart your withdrawal, that said, it's my experience that when it comes to withdrawal, it doesn't take much of your normal dose to have a significant impact on your symptoms.

In other words, if you normally take 20mg, you might find 5mg takes away well over half your symptoms severity, rather than 25% as you might expect.

But this is just my observations, and with a much larger habit with a very similar but nevertheless different drug.

How much it'll feel like restarting your withdrawal will probably depend on how well 5mg works.

If you use 5mg to (sort of) taper, I suspect you'll be trading a short but severe withdrawal for a longer withdrawal that might not be as bad as soon. Given this is presumably instant release oxycodone, I doubt it'll make that big a difference overall. Probably will just delay the peak of the withdrawal.

It will probably make you feel a little better. I doubt it will effect the legnth of withdrawal

Honestly just suck it up... Your habit isn't really that bad. I mean you're worrying over 5mgs of oxy. People are forced to go off of heroin cold turkey and still manage to survive. As someone suggested kratom could help tho.

5mg will definitely make you feel better. It might leave you craving more but probably not more than you currently are. Withdrawal won't be extended for any noticeable amount of time off one 5 mg dose.

Hey guys, so i'm out of my 10 mg oxycodone pills. i abuse them not use them correctly. anyway getting ready for the withdrawl but i have a question that i know only a very experienced opioid user could answer.

If i have roughly a tolerance of 20 mg aka 20 mg will get me slightly buzzed 30 mg will get me pretty high, and im in day 2 of withdrawl. AND i found 1/2 a pill 5 mg. Heres the question

Since my body is screaming for about 20 mg of oxycodone, would taking 5 mg make it scream for 15 mg, thus making me feel slightly better and on the withdrawl
goes or, Is even putting a single milligram in my body on day 2 of withdrawl regardless of making me feel better RESTART my withdrawl all over again from day1?

That is my question. will it completely restart the withdraw or what will it do. a way lower dose than threshold tolerance.

Also i read in the withdraw mega thread the symptoms of all withdraws based on dose. ive never vomited , none of that. i just feel like EXTREMELY tired for the first couple days especially to where i literally am worthless at work. like i will get to a job-site lock myself in the bathroom and just pass out. this is in day 1 and 2 of withdrawl. although everyone else seems to have opposite symptoms. just wondering if anyone gets unbelievably tired as well. as well while Im tired i have no motivation and unpleasant sensations in my body. and no interest in anything (tv games etc)

I actually got some time away from work and didnt have to completely go through dealing with both withdrawal and work at the same time, for a little while anyway..

the first two weeks of my quiting opiates though i actually did pass out on the floor for a couple hours to break. been there 11 years so i am good with work.

i hated laying there and even sleeping for 20 minutes while laying there 2 hours. while resting on the floor.
Its so very tiring fighting back at that struggle from opiate withdrawl. But not as bad as withdrawing from other stuff, if you know what i mean.
I kind of was sleeping except real hard for only 20 minutes while laying there. Then I HAD to get up.

They said on this forum that i would feel better everyday and with self care you can eventually get better. I couldnt actually believe it could be true ! Then after about 3 and a half weeks I can really actually feel like I can do this and i did get a little better but IT IS ROUGH.

So there is supposed to be comfort meds and self care and self help. Imodium will help me on and off and i still want to try kratom for a comfort remedy. BUT.

since you have to take such a large amount to get full effects at times to equal the opiate relief. I said f ' it do i want to eat a whole bottle of Imodium today, no, so i took a chip off of hydro 10/325 and i do mean a chip like as is 1mg and rested a while And then it did comfort me and somehow and i made it to the next day. If that makes sense. It helped. Then i used a couple tablets of Imodium here and there and then other things ect ect ect.

The first three weeks though I never did think i would be able to get out of bed and act right again or feel good. I only got up when i absolutely had to and that was to go to work so i could still have a job. Other than that I thought i would be laying in bed forever. ITS ROUGH. I actually cannot believe i can feel a bit better now. There was actually a time when i couldn't even smile and felt bad that I couldn't.

The first time i was able to smile i almost started crying i was so happy. There are still ROUGH spots though. Like speed bumps in the road. We are Tough if we CAN do it. !

so whenever i thought about eating a whole bottle of Imodium or a mouthful of kratom really badly i took another chip from 9/325mg. . . . but that's just Me.

I guess they call it weening or tapering or comfort or SOMETHING !!!

I hope you find a way for helping. But that is how i try to help myself feel better and TRY to find COMFORT.

thank you for sharing. i couldn't make without having to lay down. yeah at work.

EDIT: Yes, its EXHAUSTING beyond words. for me. but i try. like that david bowie song.

I rather recently went cold turkey on 60 mg of morphine IV for a few months (with lots of benzos and uppers). I had no physical withdrawal, I believe because I used once a day, if I did twice it was around the same time. However I was an emotional mess for 5 days. In my case I flushed everything so no chance of taking a little more, but I really recomend against it. It just won't do any good. It may provide a little relief, for 6 hours, then you will feel the withdrawal coming again, you don't want that dude. You're only on day 2, 5 mg will give you 5 mg of relief and then 5 mg of withdrawal, it's really as simple as that. You will regret this if you do it, and you will hate me for sugesting it, but flush that pill down the toilet. Taking it is not a taper, it's too little and only one dose, and oxy is not made for tapering, the duration is simply too short.
Your body is not being flooded with synthetic endorphines, you will feel little motivation, malaise and body aches, but they will subside soon enough. Days 2-3 are usually the worst, you already are half-way in, try making it to day 4-5 and see if you're still feeling the same. Then maybe you can take something (NOT OXY) to feel better. But since you're doing pretty well so far (in comparison to average) I'd try to fully detox.

Honestly just suck it up... Your habit isn't really that bad. I mean you're worrying over 5mgs of oxy. People are forced to go off of heroin cold turkey and still manage to survive. As someone suggested kratom could help tho.

Not very nice. Yes, the OPs habit is waaay smaller than many other people's including my own, but people's perceptions of withdrawal are not universal. One person can find the same withdrawal much harder to handle than another.

My point is, opioid withdrawal just fucking suuuucks, it sucks at any tolerance. And I don't think telling anyone to just suck it up is particularly helpful. :(

People survive cold turkey withdrawal from just about any opioid habit, but it's still utterly awful.

Honestly, while I tend to think I have a pretty high pain threshold and am pretty good at tolerating pain, I'm a total baby when it comes to withdrawal.

I wasn't saying that to be mean, I'm just giving my opinion. 5mgs one time isn't going to make any difference really and the op is going to go through withdrawals either way unless they just stay on opiates or taper down. It's gonna suck either way tho.

Last edited:

So can you give us an update OP? Did you take the 5mg? This thread has kind of run it's course unless you have an update for us. Thanks.

update

ure I'll update . I took some paid time off of work (2 days ) after the weekend Monday and tuesday. So that I would have about 5 days to lay around . I drank a bunch of pm cough syrup and laid around . I then felt physically fine but was extremely bored.

After about 5 more days I was still bored although committed to at least going through a withdrawl . Then I was drinking one night and made the mistake of buying some kratom. I know it's just kratom but it lasted two days and already I felt as though I was feeling shitty again. So I kind of fucked myself. Now the next plan is that I will be buying 120 10 mg pills of oxycodone around valentine's day. And am going to legit try my hardest to only use it like every couple of days . This will most likely not work but I will try.

Other than that nothing . Physical symptoms are nothing for me it's the boredom for weeks and weeks afterward. Then I honestly feel not sure what's going to happen next although this full withdrawl did not happen for sure . Maybe next month I'll try again. I do want to see if I feel alright after a month or so without anything . I'll let you guys know how fast the "use in moderation plan falls apart. I'm not doom in it to fail tho I am going to try extremely hard.

I feel since even though I'm I tried I could find more pills when my main supply isn't around but I don't a sign that I'm nowhere near out of control but I am nowhere near as in control as I once was. But we will see within the next month .

Not very nice. Yes, the OPs habit is waaay smaller than many other people's including my own, but people's perceptions of withdrawal are not universal. One person can find the same withdrawal much harder to handle than another.

My point is, opioid withdrawal just fucking suuuucks, it sucks at any tolerance. And I don't think telling anyone to just suck it up is particularly helpful. :(

People survive cold turkey withdrawal from just about any opioid habit, but it's still utterly awful.

Honestly, while I tend to think I have a pretty high pain threshold and am pretty good at tolerating pain, I'm a total baby when it comes to withdrawal.

Agreed, everyone's experience is unique. Funnily enough I'm the opposite of you - I tolerate WD much better than pain, though unfortunately they go hand in hand for me since I use for pain, & I'm definitely extremely sensitive to pain. There are even some aspects of WD I enjoy - primarily the mental stimulation & mild restlessness.

I wasn't saying that to be mean, I'm just giving my opinion. 5mgs one time isn't going to make any difference really and the op is going to go through withdrawals either way unless they just stay on opiates or taper down. It's gonna suck either way tho.

Perhaps, it's all relative though. 5mg is to 20mg like 20mg is to 80mg, so if your habit was OC80 a day, this would be like taking 20mg instead of 5mg. Also, way back years ago, that first oral 5mg was way more intense than 140mg orally these days, by an order of magnitude. So it really depends on the person and their circumstances. I agree though that either way it's going to suck for the OP :)

OP: May I recommend either moderating or abstaining from alcohol during opioid withdrawal? Not only can it lead to bad decisions as you probably noticed, it also tends to make your withdrawal symptoms a lot worse the next day.