View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

opinions on safe ages to take psychedelics

FleetwoodMac

Greenlighter
I have read a few threads and seen some vague answers to this question and answers such as "it's a matter of maturity" but I was wondering which age is too young to be taking stronger psychedelics such as LSD, 5-MEO, DMT, Salvia, and also which drugs should be experimented with first to test the waters if any? I am aware that maturity is a big factor when it comes to drug experimentation, however I am just looking for a rough, general answer.

Thanks guys,
FleetwoodMac

Last edited:
This will be the fourth thread I post this in, but I really really like the way I got things down with this. It was in response to a thread made by a 15 or 16 year old if I'm not mistaken.

My advice, coming from someone who started with DMT at 16, shrooms at 17, and LSD at 18, is to wait. While psychedelics have made me into a much more loving and aware individual, they have totally fucked me in other ways.

At your age you're still developing a sense of identity, an identity that is necessary to navigate the world which we live in. If you go taking psychedelics before you have fully formed your sense of self it will blow that out of the water and then next thing you know who have no idea who you are anymore when you didn't even know in the first place. And then figuring out who you are becomes 10x harder than it ever would have been had you waited until you'd developed that full sense of self and then tripped.

Please believe me. While I appreciate how they have advanced me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally, all of that could have happened 5 years later and made everything else so much easier to develop.

Thanks :) I will wait until I am more developed before I go on any hardcore trips, but in the meanwhile, are there any drugs safer for someone of a younger age that would prepare me for a more hard-core trip? I have already started experimenting with Cannabis and plan to delve into that slightly more, but is there anything else that I should get my hands on? Also, was DMT a good first choice of harder psychedelic? Are shrooms more hardcore because I always imagined that shrooms would be softer and an easier start?

I think DMT is a bit more mellow if you take it one hit at a time. That way, you can pace yourself, and you only have to go as far as you want to go. Even if it starts getting too intense, it will be over soon.

Honestly it's not about hardcore or soft or whatever, it's about drugs that dissolve the doors of perception so to speak and dissolve the ego and identity. Those are psychedelics and all other mind expanding substances including MDMA, other empathogens, and even weed. Although I'm sure it'd be tough to convince you cannabis isn't good for you while young now that you've already started smoking.

Any drugs that would prepare you for a hardcore trip would be the same to give a hardcore trip. There is no preparation needed, when you try a psychedelic you will be fine. In my opinion you don't need to and shouldn't get your hands on anything else besides weed. As I said, there is a plethora of consequences to expanding one's mind at your age. It is tough to see them where you are in the cycle, but believe me, they are there.

DMT wasn't bad as a first choice for me. And when trying to make comparisons between which is more hardcore, DMT, LSD, shrooms, etc. it's all a moot point, comparing apples to oranges. They can all be hardcore in their own way. While DMT is the most intense by far, it will only last max 30 minutes. Whereas a shroom trip, while maybe not blasting you to hyperspace (although possible), will last for 6+ hours making it a harrowing experience indeed if you aren't able to handle yourself.

Again, just wait. Please. The problems I've introduced into my life by starting to trip so early are incredibly alienating and tough to deal with. Even though I wouldn't give them up. It's a tough road expanding your mind early, and it can lead to either great failure or great success. As you get older the great failure part fades as the success grows. Psychedelic drugs will always be there, don't play the odds with big losses.

Once again, thank you for the sage advice. Honestly, I'm not a stoner or a consistent weed smoker, it is just light experimentation, and a little fun. I am not one of those people who are naive to pot's negative effects and consequences, yet I would still take it partially due to my curiosity, and partly as when it comes to taking substances to enhance your mood I feel that cannibis is a much healthier alternative to alcohol when used occasionally. Would you disagree? Anyways thank you, I do believe I will wait, not that I really have that much of a choice since I am not made of money (but I would wait anyway). But just to clarify, the main dangers of psychedelics at a young age is that they will enhance your view of the world (spiritually, mentally etc,) to such a degree that it would confuse and stunt someone whose mind is not yet developed enough? Or do they pose a major threat to your health even when taken in small doses?

Last edited:
I started very young, but also very occasionally. So low dose mushrooms age 12, then nothing until half a blotter age 14, then a full one age 15, high dose mushrooms age 18. I think frequency is more of an issue than age, and I'd trip maybe once or twice a year max, but more likely nothing for several years. I'm now in my 40s and have no significant mental health issues, just the occasional bouts of mild depression most of us get. I think cannabis was far more a problem for me when I was young, and that was because of its day-in-day-out usage pattern, and (for me) the apathy and mild ill-at-ease feeling it gave me throughout the day if I was using it in the evenings. I'm one of those people that just doesn't get along with cannabis. No residual effects though.

when it comes to taking substances to enhance your mood I feel that cannabis is a much healthier alternative to alcohol when used occasionally. Would you disagree?

If u must use sumthing cannabis is light-years "safer" than alcohol.. I couldn't imagine any1 w/ the ability to think rationally attempting to debate this. W/ that said, weed can(& has) made life for sum people difficult.

IMO, if you stay away from the following substances u will have a much easier life in the future. This is 1st hand experience w/ my own use, as well as, many friends, family & other people that I've crossed paths w/.

MY BAD DRUG LIST:
Cocaine & Crack
Opiates & Opioids(ex. Heroin, Percs, Vics, Oxys, & Methadone)
Dopamine Speed(ex. amphetamines like Ritalin, Adderal, & Meth)
GABA drugs(ex. Benzos, Phenibut, Alcohol)
Dissociative drugs(ex. Ketamine, DXM, PCP)

Obviously other peoples experiences may vary, but these chemicals were all bad for me in various ways.

Kris

...I feel that cannibis is a much healthier alternative to alcohol when used occasionally. Would you disagree?
But just to clarify, the main dangers of psychedelics at a young age is that they will enhance your view of the world (spiritually, mentally etc,) to such a degree that it would confuse and stunt someone whose mind is not yet developed enough? Or do they pose a major threat to your health even when taken in small doses?

I would not disagree, no!

And that's not the way I would put it, but it sounds like you have the general idea. It's more of an identity thing, not so much a changing of world views. The lessening and dissolving of the ego, and thus identity, allows for a pure and true perception of reality. But when coupled with a young mind that has no solid identity yet (and believe me, this won't truly happen until you've graduated high school and left home for a year or two, and even then it's just the beginning) you run the risk of destroying that identity completely, leaving you feeling lost. I feel it myself as I type. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, or rather if you can understand it experientially and deeply, seeing as you're still there, but alas it's true.

How much have you read on the ego, mindfulness, awareness, etc.?

AfterMeth, my Mileage is Resonant with your messsage, though I am a little bit behind you. Still shedding the last, namely the dissociatives, and smoothly tapering down to microscopic doses of suboxone.

I look forward to the day when I am clear and am able to imbibe in proper amounts of cannabis. Recently cannabis has been nonexistent in my life, in a cool-down phase with the spirit of mary jane, but I know she will help support me in the coming days.

It is hard to say what is a hard drug. Probably most most intense/transcendent/hey God what's up experience was at 19 with a shitty mdma pill and weed. Based on the amount of mdma I should have had that experience, but it was my time... That one experience possibly saved my life, and gave me a reason to keep living through the next five years of alcoholic hell.

If you are happy with your life and how you fit in the world. Waiting cant hurt.

If you feel like a fucking alien and feel like a worthless person b/c you can't mesh your view of yourself and the world we are in properly.... Maybe think about it?

So what it is that you are saying is that psychedelics humble you and shatter your ego to such a degree that a young mind is not yet developed enough to handle it? That a younger mind is not ready to be broadened to this extent? So how would one know when the time is right?

"How much have you read on the ego, mindfulness, awareness, etc." (I don't know how to quote yet)

To a small extent on the subject of psychedelics, are there any particular reads you would consider insightful?

Well, I don't feel down to that extent but I can relate to the fact that I can't mesh my view of myself and the world we are in properly. I feel really lost but very curious and I might just being impatient, but at least I am doing my research?

If u must use sumthing cannabis is light-years "safer" than alcohol.. I couldn't imagine any1 w/ the ability to think rationally attempting to debate this. W/ that said, weed can(& has) made life for sum people difficult.

IMO, if you stay away from the following substances u will have a much easier life in the future. This is 1st hand experience w/ my own use, as well as, many friends, family & other people that I've crossed paths w/.

MY BAD DRUG LIST:
Cocaine & Crack
Opiates & Opioids(ex. Heroin, Percs, Vics, Oxys, & Methadone)
Dopamine Speed(ex. amphetamines like Ritalin, Adderal, & Meth)
GABA drugs(ex. Benzos, Phenibut, Alcohol)
Dissociative drugs(ex. Ketamine, DXM, PCP)

Obviously other peoples experiences may vary, but these chemicals were all bad for me in various ways.

Kris

Ha thanks for the list, tis similar to my own.

MY BAD DRUG LIST:
Cocaine & Crack
Opiates and Opioids
Amphetamines and literally anything involving Meth (I'm terrified of Meth, even the word just sounds sinister to me)

K has always interested me, but the more I read up on it the more dangerous it sounds. I'd have to wait a looong time before I touched it.

If I'm honest I need to read up more on my GABA drugs and Disassociative drugs, but for now I'll take your word for it :)

Thanks for the input :)

Coming from someone who tried DMT at 17. Wait there's much more than you'd expect...

All of the advice here is really good. As Psy said...we need egos to some extent. They give us a basic sense of self-esteem and direction. Psychs aren't going anywhere and you'll probably benefit from them a lot more when you're older. I'm only 23 but I wish I'd only started experimenting with psychs around this time if not later.