Opinions Needed - Splitting Opiate Discussion Off From OD Into A New Forum

Would you like to see opiate discussion split off from OD and into it's own forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option, which I've explored and brought up for discussion amongst staff, is prefixes. If anyone is unfamiliar with what they are, check out the Drug Studies forum.

Basically they're labels visible in the thread title used to categorize threads. They work the same way tags work on blogs, among other things.

So, how would they be implemented?
Right now the driving idea is that there would be prefixes created for various drugs (and perhaps topics) that are common in here; pharm opiates, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc.
They would be applied by moderators, with us deciding if we should allow thread starters the ability to apply them in the future. All new threads would get them, and we'd be adding bumped threads( and older threads eventually).

So, what are the advantages?
The main advantage is that there's a drop down menu at the bottom of the page that allows you to only display threads according to whichever prefix you choose. So if you only want to see threads about heroin, it's easily done. Also, it would be much easier to figure out what substance the thread covers by looking at the prefix, if you're displaying all threads, which would be the default.

Other than that, OD would remain exactly the same.

the prefixing idea sounds great. rather than further fragmenting bluelight by adding new forums to cope with growth, it offers a simple way to keep things organized and make both sides of the debate happy.

I think we should spilt up all major classes, not just opiates. The polydrug threads remain in the OD parent forum.

^ doesn't that become a bitch when a thread goes from "blah blah opiates" to "blah blah opiates and coke," then you "have" to move it from the opiate sub forum to the polydrug parent forum (etc...)?

If anything must change, prefixes sound like the 'best' solution.

^ Are you really that lazy that one mouse click is too much work for you? I can't believe I'm even responding to that comment since it's been addressed multiple times, most recently by me, 2 posts above you.

Come on. If anyone's going to argue for or against this, read the other arguments first, then use legitimate arguments of your own.

i cant believe you even wasted the time replying to someone with such a half ass attempt at spouting his opinion...

^ doesn't that become a bitch when a thread goes from "blah blah opiates" to "blah blah opiates and coke," then you "have" to move it from the opiate sub forum to the polydrug parent forum (etc...)?

If anything must change, prefixes sound like the 'best' solution.

I think prefixes would honestly look like shit...

Other Drugs is the parent forum. Polydrug threads would remain in Other Drugs, and drug specific threads would go to their respected subforum.

I am personally in favor of making a separate opiate forum, both for selfish reasons and for logical reasons. I am primarily an opiate user at this point, and therefore am inclined to support making opiate discussion an independent forum. But in addition to that, it simply makes sense. There are specialized forums for other specific drugs. While "opiate" is rather a class of drug, with many varied chemicals under its umbrella nomenclature, its peculiarity in comparison to other classes, and its varied multi-continental usage over a period of many centuries dictates that this class of drugs be notable in separateness.

The sheer volume of opiate users and discussers throughout OD overwhelms by alot all other OD traffic. The defense that OD traffic would wither is partially true, but not valid as a defense. Perhaps it would be appropriate, as it is in many instances of progress, to adopt a new perspective of things? Perhaps Other Drugs should truly be reserved for "other drugs", drugs that are not generally included under a widely-used and understood taxonomical umbrella term. Things like mephedrone. Zolpidem. GHB. Pentobarbital.

Merely someone who has a deeply held belief that when things can be improved, they should be, while I am NOT one who agrees that change for the sake of change is good.

^ Well put. That is the kind of post I like to see in this thread.

Unknown: How the prefixes look is the least of our worries.

I say leave it alone. I like to read about the drugs I dont even do. Pharmaceuticals come in all types and it should be in one forum just like this one. This goes for the illicits too. Too many people combine two drugs (not just speedballers) and there would be a dispute on exactly which thread would be best suited for many posters. I smoke weed, but I almost never go over to Cannabis Discussion, because it's boring (how many people like blunts more than joints, etc.) In honor of Phreex, keep OD the same!

after reading the for and against i wanna agree with part of the against that most OD'ers are primarily opiate users; the big names around OD will migrate and OD will be left with tweakers, crack heads, and subjective information.

I say leave it alone. I like to read about the drugs I dont even do. Pharmaceuticals come in all types and it should be in one forum just like this one. This goes for the illicits too. Too many people combine two drugs (not just speedballers) and there would be a dispute on exactly which thread would be best suited for many posters. I smoke weed, but I almost never go over to Cannabis Discussion, because it's boring (how many people like blunts more than joints, etc.) In honor of Phreex, keep OD the same!

+1, to all of it

after reading the for and against i wanna agree with part of the against that most OD'ers are primarily opiate users; the big names around OD will migrate and OD will be left with tweakers, crack heads, and subjective information.

So let the tweakers and crackheads have a place to call home too. It won't be just that though; as mentioned, all the mephedrone and methylone questions would fall into OD, and meph / methy are pretty big right now.
There are also many many threads about Adderall and Ritalin; many many threads about benzos and other downers; and plenty of other threads about various pharmaceuticals and street drugs. Also many people post about antidepressants, supplements, and various OTC drugs (especially DXM). I don't think OD would crumble at all. It'll just be a little different.
Split OD! Split OD! ODD or NO-DD!
And who's to say ODD wouldn't contain subjective info? Every forum has it and will always have it. I just think opiates deserve a forum because it is a very unique class of drugs. Ecstasy has its own forum right? And one could safely call ecstasy one drug (I know its not, but dig me) while opiates is a very, very broad class.

Last edited:
So let the tweakers and crackheads have a place to call home too.
They do. Its called OD.

It won't be just that though; as mentioned, all the mephedrone and methylone questions would fall into OD
They already do fall into OD. (Well, sometimes. Sometimes they are in PD, right? At least methylone, I don't know about mephedrone. I don't visit PD much.)

I propose a compromise: give mephedrone its own forum, let bob loblaw mod it, and leave OD intact. How about that?

They do. Its called OD.

They already do fall into OD. (Well, sometimes. Sometimes they are in PD, right? At least methylone, I don't know about mephedrone. I don't visit PD much.)

I'm saying they will continue to do so if OD was split, and they forum won't "wither up" (which people seem to be afraid of, and I can understand as OD is a great forum), it will just be different.

I think it's a good idea because maybe the majority of the questions here are about opiates... so since ecstacy and cannabis have their own forums, i think an "opiate" section, would be just as frequented, and has just as much of a right to be, it might allow people to go more in depth to their questions about opiates.

It would also leave some space for the other pharmaceuticals and various stims in OD, which is often boggled down by opiate questions...

It would also ease the traffic, hence the mod work on the two different forums.
I think it's a great idea!

please split it up

I have nothing against the copious discussion of opiates on OD however there are many more deserving topics to be discussed that often go overlooked and buried due to the flood of posts concerning opiates.

I believe if the opiates had their own forum, much more would come out of OD than the same posts that seem to get reiterated over and over (opiates are pretty generic drugs so the same questions do tend to get asked repeatedly).

Just my $0.02

I think having amotjer forum devoted to ppowyes would split the xpmmumity too much

That's. Why. They have opioihiles

Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.