• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates/opioid constipation?

I totally agree with the above advice about fiber and staying hydrated. I know you said it hasn't worked for you in the past, but sometimes you have to follow the habits for a couple of days or even weeks just for your body to get back in balance and start to function normally again. Have you tried sticking to some kind of regime, even if it doesn't work at first? I have ulcerative colitis complicated by opiate use, so I feel your pain (literally and figuratively.) The only other thing I can recommend is Miralax, it's a little different from other laxatives or stool softeners and it's the only thing I've ever been able to use (http://www.miralax.com). Good luck!

i find using laxative suppositaries (sp) along with oral laxatives the best way to deal with this. They lubricate up your bum and help the stools come out easier and with less pain or straining. And drinking water is essential. Also using fibregel drinks every day which have some kind of plant husks in help a lot. I'm glad people have brought this subject up as it is so important re harm reduction and a topic that often gets avoided.

Phillips Colon Health is good for a quick shit. It's made up of several probiotics. I take that and ten minutes later I'm on the toilet. Though, sometimes the constipation's so bad even Phillips won't work (including Phillips milk of magnesia). I suffer chronic constipation whether I'm on opiates or not. Fiber doesn't work (just makes me more gaseous), nor do most laxatives (I took half a bottle of Miralax and nothing happened). However, for the past year, I haven't been able to find a happy medium. Either I'm totally stuck and bloated, or I'm shitting my brains out. Not a fun position to be in.

cant take the constipation anymore... best stool softener while on suboxone???

damn just got a fat hemerhoid, cant deal anymore with the pain i endure from a simple bathroom break. suboxone shits are worse than dope shits. my doc said sumthin to take for it and it started with a c.. any suggestions? also should i worry bout the roid??

Was your doctor referring to Colace? If so I can attest that it does work fairly well. My daily oxy use is quite high these days and shitting is a chore to say the least. When it's real bad, two or three of these things will make me have a proper bowel movement within the next 12 hours. I'd recommend trying it. For your 'roid, try some 'Preparation H' cream, it should help.

Last edited:
We have a thread already about this...let me see if I can find it.

Found it. OP, you might want to read this: Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread in Healthy Living

And finally, I'm going to merge into this thread, because it's in OD.

Buprenorphine causes the same constipation as other opiates through mu-agonism, so I do believe it belongs in there.

If you would like to ask what others have found helpful, the Suboxone Mega Thread might be a last place to ask for antecdotal evidence from other users. This could also be used as a place to generally complain about the side effects of Suboxone, and ask how others are tolerating it, for instance.

Personally, I have found tapering to be the best combatant against buprenorphine induced constipation.

Last edited:
Man I totally feel you on this one but have never really brought it up. You made me laugh so hard when you said smaller clumps of crap all compacted together to make this monstrosity of a shit thats all rigid. Jesus Opiate constipation has to be the worst. I've been on quite a few chronic pain mains and since ive been put at 4mg Dilaudid 6X daily i've had the worst constipation and hard to pass craps that i've ever had.

Like seriously I felt like crying the other day when i finally felt like I needed to crap because I knew the ordeal I was in for. Not only is it harder then ever and take 25min. to get out, you know when you finally do its going to hurt like all hell. It was so bad the other day I was crying on the toilet and I seriously mixed up an 8mg shot of Dilaudid and shot it while I was on the toilet just so I could pass that shit without crying.

So I'm definitely going to look into some oth these methods of helped because just as of lately this problem has gotten worse. When I need a 8mg shot of Hydromorphone to take a dump. Something needs to change. LoL

There have been many things mentioned but here is my "cocktail" and not only are my BMs normal and regular, they are very, very easy to move:

Water all day (well up until 6 pm so I don't wake up in the middle of the night and have to pee)
A bowl of Frosted Shredded Wheat in the morning
An apple (YUmmy Fuji!) in the afternoon.

Before that, it was everything you guys have mentioned. (Including the lovely picture.) I've been on PKs for a while due to chronic cervical pain. I used to dread having to go do the two.

Now? Well now it isn't any big thing (pun intended).

OC question

So i got some oxycontin 30mgs, and when i take them i notice that i cant eat without feeling sick to my stomach and sometimes throwing up. And i noticed that when i snorted it today i ate a big meal and felt fine. so my question is will snorting eliminate GI discomfort, and, i also haven't been shitting ever since i've been taking these. So since its not in my stomach if i snort it, will that allow me to be able to shit?

Uh I suppose it could help eliminate the stomach discomfort if it's the pill itself causing it. I always thought it was a side effect of just the opiate itself.

As for taking a shit, your best thing to do is not dose that day till you take one. Snorting it will not stop you from being constipated. So definitely take a shit in the morning before you take anymore, or it'll just be that much worse when it finally does come.

I've probably gone up to about 4-5 days maybe. I think it starts really becoming a problem after about 2 weeks, I'm not sure. But boy does it fucking hurt. I nearly cried from the pain before it was so bad. So might wanna take some stool softners and load up on Iron if it's been a few days.

Your lucky the longest inbetween shits has been 4-5 days. Ive gone 2 weeks plus, now the norm for me is about a week give or take.. And when it comes its like 12inches +, hard as a brick, and extremly painful. Fucking methadone, i would do what some do and skip a day or two untill you shit but my clinic dosent allow you to do that..

Well OP I would say there are multiple answers to your question depending on what is causing the discomfort. In the case of my significant other, she has liver cirossiss and whenever she orally consumes a dose of Oxy., she has an acute episode of nausea - every time. Now, when she snorts Oxy. she never runs into this problem. Now, this is because of the first pass liver metabolism from drugs absorbed through the stomach membranes and routed to the liver. Drugs absorbed through the nose do not get directed to the liver and directly enter the bloodstream - sparing her the nausea which is an effect of the Oxy. metabolizing in her deficient liver, not the opiate effects itself. The opiate/opioid effects themselves do include nausea, but this is a whole other phenomenon.

And on the constipation question. It all depends on the person, some might be fine for 2-3 weeks & others might be running into trouble after only a few days (3-5). I have personally witnessed someone close to me not shit for 3-4 days from opiates. They went on to be uncomfortable to the point where they consumed multiple large laxative doses only to have them do nothing. Ceasing opiate use was the only viable option as the pain of the constipation started to outweigh the withdrawl (they didn't have some silly habit either, it was quite serious). After about 8 hours without opioids and some 16 hours after consuming the laxatives they finally had bowel movements (multiple). After it was all said and done there was some temporary damage and a very painful experience for the books. This was a lady friend by the way, so the embarrassment factor of this story is quite multiplied hehe...

I merged this thread into here mainly due to the similar subject material.

Let me know if this is a problem for anyone.

What do you do when you have this problem but you cant go without your pain medication due to Chronic pain from Crohns/Colitis?

Also, due inflammatory bowel disease change what you should do when you have this problem? It probably makes harm from this condition more likely.

The idea of snorting oxy to avoid constipation is an interesting one. Can anyone else confirm that this works?

The idea of snorting oxy to avoid constipation is an interesting one. Can anyone else confirm that this works?

The use of opiates typically will constipate you, no matter the ROA. Sorry.

There are alternative medications you can take in conjunction with low-dose pain medication which should hopefully give you some relief. Bring this idea up with your doctor.

I plan on heading to the ER tomorrow as my pain is worsening and I would have to wait 3 weeks for my tests otherwise....my huge deductible has finally been met, so I might as well go. Also, maybe I can get some better pain meds.

They might put me on cortico-steroids. Ive never been on the combination of the two before. Im probably going to have to add Lorazapam to the mix as well.

just drink lots of water, and i mean LOTS.

usually the problem is just dehydration

or you could rail lots of coke like jeff from celebrity rehab lol. that will make you shit immediately.