• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates and pregnancy?

confidential

Greenlighter
I'm on 10 mg of Oxycodone three times a day for chronic lower back pain I recently found out I'm pregnant and I don't know what to expect next do I stop if so will I get sick I know I can't handle the pain on a daily basis without it I don't know what to do or even where to start

I would ask your ob/gyn. He/she will be able to give you much better info.

Oxycodone is in class B of the pregnancy categories, which means that is regarded as generally safe and risks are low. But you should always consult you doctor before taking any medications during pregnancy.

^ that, and 10 mg of oxycodone is not that high of a dose that you would expect the baby to face withdrawal after birth or anything like that.

Your baby boy will be born on March 22nd, in great health. Even though he may seem a bit late, it will all be 100% great.

Someone quote me on that. Write it down.

Also you probably shouldn't worry. Ask your doctor.

Yeah ask your doc of course.. but the most logical thing to do, is keep taking your medication, and have the baby weaned off, when it is born, this process can be done in a hospital setting, or naturally through regulating breast feeding.

Withdrawal/suboxone/methadone, will all be less safe, than continuing the oxy, especially at those doses.

- Hopeless.7nos

Completely agree with 7nos. I was in the same situation and tried to stop myself cold Turkey once that pregnancy test was positive thinking it was the right thing to do. I thought my OB was gonna strangle me when I walked in withdrawling from the prescribed dose. He told me to never just stopped and I was weaned and then placed on suboxone until I delivered.

I was on Norcos and my ob/ gyn sorta freaked out when I told her how much I take and sent me to a methadone clinic. They told me methadone was TOTALLY 100% safe for the baby

Ween yourself super slow. Give your pills to a family member or friend. Go down one pull a week. At the methadone clinc there are tons of babies with eye PRob. My son is one of them. I had weened myself off of my pain pills and my doc sent me packing to a methadone clinic as I started spotting. Aparently if u go off your opiates TOO FAST you can lose the baby and if you go on methadone the baby has a pretty big chance with eye stuff.

Sorry, my phone cut me off, as I said.. Slowly ween from the pills unless your pain is too great.. But what's a little pain for a healthy baby.. I wish I would have done it all diff and listened to my inner voice telling me to go off the pain Meds and not go to that damn clinic as the guilt of my sons eye condition lays heavy on me and I am now TEN years on methadone and I went CT 8 days ago and I am in living hell!

They would not put me on subs... Too bad.. I was put on methadone aprox. 3 months prego...180 mg
Waaaaay too much. Anyway, when I had a dilated to ten ( with no pain Meds as that's how I had my other kids in my 20s)
The doc looked at me and said my son turned last minute; frank breech.. Emergency C-section! I was given the spinal injection (epideral) and they started surgery. When I got out I was bleeding a ton so they put me on pitocin and I screamed bloody murder for three days. The reason I screamed is simple: none of the pain Meds worked because of that damn Methadone!
It was horrible.
As you can tell I hate methadone and wish it to be made impossible for pill poppers to be put on. Suboxone seems a better fit on an encouraged taper.