• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates and alcohol

Psychedstoner

Bluelighter
I'm tempted to try it. My typical opiate dose is 35-40 hydro or 30 oxy. It doesn't quite make me nod anymore but it's still really enjoyable. I'm currently on 20mg oxy and just reached my peak. Is it completely retarded to drink a glass of wine or two? Or should I be okay? What's the absolute max I could safely drink? I won't even attempt the max I'm just curious. I'm 6'1, 170 pounds.

It's not completely retarded. What would make it completely retarded, is if you're the type of person who has a hard time with judgment after a glass of wine or two. I'm one of these people. I would probably enjoy the synergy of the buzz so much that I wouldn't want it to end. The alcohol would interfere with my decision making process just enough to convince me to take that 3rd or 4th drink, at which point I will have completely lost control.

If you can control yourself, one or two drinks with an Opioid is not crazy, insane dangerous. You must exercise caution though.

I just got reminded of something:

Back in the days of old when William Burroughs wrote Junkie and Naked Lunch, he insisted that alcohol did not work while you were on opiates/opioids; that it (alcohol) would just kind of slosh around in the stomach and make you sick, providing none of the "kick" that one associates with alcohol. Something to do with the opiate substances and alcohol both metabolizing through the liver. Whether this is true or not is a matter of interpretation and personal experience, but I thought it interesting to mention.

Personally, I've never found the combination pleasant, though sometimes it is nice to nurse a drink while on opiates/opioids for a long period of time. Just remember to cleanse yourself with water before or after, as it has made the after-effects more sickening than just with the opiates themselves.

Thanks guys, tried it with a glass of wine and a beer and had a grand time. Really added to the sedative effects and the overall buzz. I'd done it in the past but got carried away and barely remember anything so I didn't know if I was having the time of my life or almost OD'ing

What Burroughs said regarding Alcohol and Opioids I've always found to be true. It's not the acute combination of the two that he's speaking of though. He's talking about using Alcohol recreationally while you are dependent upon Opioids. I really don't know what causes this phenomenon, but it's so true. I'm currently dependent upon Opioids and when I smell Alcohol I just get a sick feeling in my stomach and no desire to drink it.

When I've been off Opioids in the past, I drink quite a bit and get euphoria and other pleasant effects from Alcohol. I'm thankful though, Alcohol is poison and I don't want or need it in my life.

What Burroughs said regarding Alcohol and Opioids I've always found to be true. It's not the acute combination of the two that he's speaking of though. He's talking about using Alcohol recreationally while you are dependent upon Opioids. I really don't know what causes this phenomenon, but it's so true. I'm currently dependent upon Opioids and when I smell Alcohol I just get a sick feeling in my stomach and no desire to drink it.

When I've been off Opioids in the past, I drink quite a bit and get euphoria and other pleasant effects from Alcohol. I'm thankful though, Alcohol is poison and I don't want or need it in my life.
I'm the same as you two who don't really enjoy the two together. They don't really help with the "buzz"; they do make it more sedative, but, I get headaches, sickness, vomiting, blanking out, not having as much euphoria for me for some reason more of a body high, & just general discomfort. I hate this combo, doesn't work for me and I drink way tooo much man. Bad combo too, I wouldn't recommend but not say it's extremely dangours like Kief said, as long as you don't over do it.

What Burroughs said regarding Alcohol and Opioids I've always found to be true. It's not the acute combination of the two that he's speaking of though. He's talking about using Alcohol recreationally while you are dependent upon Opioids.

Yeah, that's a good clarification; been awhile since I read Burroughs. I'm currently habituated to opiates (mainly poppy tea) and haven't had the desire to drink in several months. Even when I have/do I rarely enjoy it, hence just sitting with a drink and enjoying the taste.

I agree, alcohol is a poison that I don't need in my life. With all of my substance-abuse problems in the past, I've thankfully managed to avoid alcohol's grasp. Something to do with getting skull-fuck drunk when I was young and experiencing the worst hangovers of my life and swearing to myself I would never let myself get to that point again. With all of the promises I've broken to myself, I've managed to keep that one.

Yeah, that's a good clarification; been awhile since I read Burroughs. I'm currently habituated to opiates (mainly poppy tea) and haven't had the desire to drink in several months. Even when I have/do I rarely enjoy it, hence just sitting with a drink and enjoying the taste.

I agree, alcohol is a poison that I don't need in my life. With all of my substance-abuse problems in the past, I've thankfully managed to avoid alcohol's grasp. Something to do with getting skull-fuck drunk when I was young and experiencing the worst hangovers of my life and swearing to myself I would never let myself get to that point again. With all of the promises I've broken to myself, I've managed to keep that one.
I've seen, the really, really bad experience of hoe and what alcohol does to people personally. It's sad and a life ruiner! My mother suffers with alcoholism, BUT see's tapering off and drinking less. Like, much much less, it's great! My father too had problems not at all like my mother, but did and hasn't had any problem since, 28+ years ago I think. I don't drink for these reasonings; I've seen it all and was abused due to my mother when she was at her worst... Luckly I moved in with another family member for now and she's doing much betfer!

That's also why I strictly use benzodiazepines, & opioids/opiates in general. I'm tapering off the benzo's and have been doing great barely need Xanax for days, the seizures stopped many months ago luckly. Using Valium atm to taper off 1mg if Alprozalam.

*only opiate I don't use at all, all the time that is- is Diamorhine; or Heroin for the laymen.