• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates after Eating

jdjack27

Bluelighter
I looked for a definitive answer and found mixed results. If you ate a plate of spaghetti and 3 meatballs an hour before dosing oxy, does it diminish the high? Or does it just increase the time needed to feel the high? A lot of people said the best way to take it was on a basically empty stomach, I wanted to confirm or deny this. It's been about 45 minutes since I dosed and I don't feel much. I'm wondering if this is because I ate before hand

I preferred it on an empty stomach. Maybe it was in my head but it felt better

If you are taking your oxy orally yes you will get less effect. The food in your stomach will sort of act as a time release. You could use a different ROA or take the oxy first and start eating right as the high hits.

If you are taking your oxy orally yes you will get less effect. The food in your stomach will sort of act as a time release. You could use a different ROA or take the oxy first and start eating right as the high hits.

The ROA was oral. I don't like sniffing oxy and I don't want to bother with a CWE. I'll try eating after next time. I didn't realize that was an option. I thought it would diminish the high. I thought eating before hand just increased the time it took to feel the buzz. But it did indeed lessen the high, by a large margin

IME, it DOES diminish the effects. I would never encourage taking drugs on a completely empty stomach because for some reason it doesn't seem to align with harm reduction.....but honestly, the strongest/quickest/most intense highs I have gotten from opiates are right after I have woken up.

I always take my opiates on an empty stomach. Then i eat about 20 minutes after the high hits and the food intensifies it a little.

With many years (decades, really) of firsthand experience to back up what I say, any pills/liquids/drugs and alcohol in general which you take orally, intranasally, sub L, any ROA that doesn't involve a needle, will have greatly diminished effects if you have eaten within 2 or 3 hours prior to eating your pills and if you eat after taking your pills, especially while you wait for the come up and while the effects are peaking (3 or 4 hours after eating my pills for me. Your times may vary since everyone's body chemistry, tolerance, metabolism, responses to various drugs, etc...... is highly individualized. Also, times will vary according to dosage, whether the pills are instant release or extended release, and other factors). Food soaks up a lot of your pills and is the enemy of any pill high.

Yes eating too close to dosing will often lessen effects, however, certain drugs and medications actually absorb better when a high fat snack is eaten shortly after dosing. So it would be incorrect to say that a completely empty stomach is always preferred when trying to obtain the most intense effects - usually, yes but not always.

Yeah, I've heard about the small amount of food high in fat (like a couple of tablespoons of ice cream, something which doesn't fill your stomach and is high in fat) intensifying opioids. I even saw a Dr on some website say that it must be within an hour (I forget if he meant an hour after eating the opioid pills or an hour after they start taking effect) and should be of an amount which doesn't fill your stomach. I tried with a small vanilla frosty at Wendy's but it didn't seem to make a difference (it was roxy refill day and I'm prescribed the roxy 15s, so it's tradition for me to eat 10 or 12 of them as soon as the prescription is filled and in my hot little hands). IME, the best results with pills has always been to eat them on an empty stomach, chewing them up and washing them down with a cup of hot coffee. The chewing of the pills and the hot liquids break them down faster so they start to have effect sooner. I had thought caffeine was in BC and Goodys powders because, like most stimulants, caffeine is a vaso dialator and many headaches are caused by constriction of blood vessels in the brain. Again, some Dr on some website said the caffeine pushes the meds into your system faster, making them get to work quicker. It makes sense I guess, when you consider that a mild stimulant like caffeine gets your system working faster and the pills can start first pass metabolism sooner. I find that a few Xanax bars (also legit prescribed for legit reasons) sub L, after I chew my roxys and coffee, always helps and add to the experience.