• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate WD vs. Benzo WD

All I felt was, IMO, very mild symptoms that, believe it or not, I actually enjoyed! I felt as tho I was on some sort of amphetamine. I had a lot more energy and was more talkative. I really didn't notice any discomfort.
Yeah, there can be just an ounce of a high in Benzo withdrawal -- a little bit of nervous excitement that's a tiny bit euphoric. So I get where you're coming from. I don't mean to overstate it, though ... it's rare and fleeting.

Benzo withdrawal can kill you and cause seizures and generally lasts longer than opiate withdrawal, I think benzo withdrawal takes the cake

i have used both and detoxed both before many times. For benzos my worst habit was 2-4mg a day xanax for about 6 months, i detoxed by tapering over 6 weeks and felt no WD. the same did not work for opiates for me. Tapering still caused major WD. Benzo seizures can be avoided w proper tapering. Cold turkey is dangerous.

Alcohol can kill too. But from what I read 10% of alcoholics get delerium tremors, of that 10%, up to 20% die even in treatment. Don't know if this relates to benzo's.

I don't think the fact the benzos can kill you or give seizures factor into the question, obviously that makes them more dangerous. But i think it's more about which is more painful/traumatizing/horrible

However, both can be managed properly, and can be relatively comfortable if tapered correctly, and with proper care for PAWS.

I've experienced much more of opiate WD, and never had as long or as heavy of a benzo habit.

I fear opiate withdrawal more than I fear death, literally, but I have a biased opinion. Precipitated withdrawals.... My god, I've never knownpain like that in my life. I have a phobia of it, I keep fearing it even after cleaning up.

I HAVE experienced Benzo withdrawal and yes It is Absolutely the worse thing in this world. All those side effects you mentioned for opiate w/d times them by 10,000. Anxiety,
no sleep,no eat,shaking,sweating,
spazzing,hot/cold flashes,nausea,
Vommiting,diarrhea,restlessness,
Zero concentration on Anything when you feel like youre dying obviously.
Shortness of breath, seizures. Pain throughout entire body. U name it. I literallly drove myself to emergency parked directly infront of it ran inside and collapsed. Dont rmbr much after that but id hope never to experience it again. I was on about 3-4mgs of xanax/day. Now im on 3-4mgs of klons a day hoping to taper off. But i do suffer from chronic panic attacks since i was a child and u nvr wantd to b someone that takes a pill everyday. But a doctor told me straightup, i am going to be one of those ppl bcz this is uncurable. :/

i cold turkeyed 90 mg methadone/day habit which sucked for over a week, and i cold turkeyed a huge benzo habit which sucked for 6 months, untill i got back on them... go figure

benzo withdrawal can be fatal, while opiate wd is also excruciating, it has never caused someone to die.

Not true. We just had a man die in our jail. The *doctor * refused to give him withdrawal medications because he believed he couldn't die due to opiate withdrawal.
After he refused to work because of his w/d symptoms he was put in solitary.
He was found dead due to a seizure brought on by dehydration and electrolyte loss. I dunno if he had underlying health issues but he was a healthy 27 yrold...
I know this is an extreme circumstance but it happened.

Honestly I've been thru benzo and opiate w/d...and I'm off benzos and still addicted to opiates. I guess I'm an exception.dI'd rather go thru 1000 benzo w/ds than 1 opiate w/d. And I had a seizure getting off benzos

Ok, here's my opinion on the 2.

opiate w/d feels worse IMO physicaly, yawning too much that makes my mouth and jaws hurt like crazy, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, skin crawling, pale, can't eat, can't sleep, depression which makes me cry a lot, anxiety, all the bad stuff. Every time i went into opiate w/d I always ended up in the ER. Because I get extremely sick on opiate w/d. Another reason why I think it's worse physicaly is because I have a much higher tolerance to opies than Benzos. 8+ years of opiate use, including hydrocodone 100mg daily for 2 years, oxycodone 180mg daily for 3 years, smoking heroin for 1 year, and the last 2 years I've been on methadone at 80mg everyday to keep me stable.

benzo w/d is more phsycologically for me. I don't have a tolerance to benzos like I do opiates, while I was on opiates I would use a benzo literally once every 2 months. But the last 6+ months, I've been on benzos daily, xanax 6-10mg daily, or Valium 90-120mg daily. I told myself wtf am I doing. I'm already addicted to opiates, for a long time, and don't want to do the same with benzos.
So I made a bunch of appointments with doctors, counselors, etc. they All recommended me to see a psychiatrist, I did exactly that, told her my problems, and as of now I'm tapering off benzos with klonopin, yes I do have it prescribed from her,
heres how's my taper plan is, 1st 2 weeks I take 6mg of klonopin a day, then the following 2 weeks, 5 1/2mg of klonopin daily, etc.
after I taper and get off benzos, I'm gonna start tapering my methadone :)

I got hooked on that synthetic fentanyl/heroin dope back in 2006 that came into the midwest for like 4 months and that was the most horrible withdrawal ive ever dealt with physically alot worse than the Times I've came off benzos.
When I was on benzos I was prescribed 4 mg a day and would always run out and buy more due to taking more than I was prescribed. The benzo withdraw was by no means fun, the mental shit mostly but there was bad physical symptoms too, I never got to see how long the withdrawals lasted but I was 3 months into the wd before I started shooting dope again and once I started that I didn't really notice the symptoms of benzo wd anymore. The mental shit of benzo withdraw was so bad though.
I think it is really hard to compare the two...... there are so many factors....
It kinda depends on the person. But I don't know of anything worse than being hooked on an ultra strong opiate like fent analogues, I can't put it into words. But I think everyone is different and how they take it, n how much they take and what they take, n of course people are not the same so lots of people are going to dislike different symptoms the most.

what's worse 30mg methadone daily or 30mg valium daily?

u have to actually say a dose to give a comparison.
a big benzo habit is worse than a small opiate habit
a big opiate habit is worse than a small benzo habit

they both give anxiety. feeling uncomfortable. opiates effect digestion more. and benzos make u tremor more.

Last edited:
Ya I remember when I was locked up with this guy and he was prescribed 3 bars a day, and 3 methadone 10s a day. Idk how he got both prescribed but he did.
When I got out I had to go to the halveway house. About a month after being in the halfway house he got out and got sent there and ended up being my roommate. I guess he had been on bars since he was 16 because he got bitten by a brown recluse and had a phobia of spiders. (The doc he went to is known where im from for handing out all sorts of stuff) He also had been on 24mg of suboxone for 3 years before getting locked up that's how he got the methadone while locked up ( witch I still don'tunderstand cuz ive never seen anyone get dones in jail for that.)
Anyway after about 3 months of being roommates with this guy his doc cut him off of the subz and zanies with only like a month taper off each. I have never seen someone so scared to come off a drug in my life. Let me tell you, it wasn't the subz he was worried about. I remember the first week for him was mostly sub withdrawal that bothered him but after that week he was in pure hell from 10 years of alprazolam use.
I actually texted him yesterday after reading this and he said hes still dealing with benzo withdrawal, he said he still gets bad twitches n other horrible symptoms from the benzo wd and its been since last July when he got of them.
Moral of the story.. like diamorphazapm said it really just depends on how much of what, and how long on what substance.

I know this is a bit old, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I currently have a legal 60 mg/day Oxycodone IR habit, prescribed through a pain clinic. I fill my scripts once a week as I have a habit of burning through my supply and running out early otherwise. I've been on this dose for nearly three years now.

This last August, I kicked my Klonopin habit. I had been prescribed 4 mg/day for severe anxiety and a host of other psych issues. I admit that I truly love my oxy and I don't want to kick it, but I really hated the Klonopin and wanted to quit it for a long time. I had been taking it for nearly four years.

I tapered from 4 mg/day to .25/day over four months before quitting. I figured I had tapered enough to avoid any bad withdrawals.

Oh how wrong I was!

I was mostly fine for the first couple of days but since Klonopin has such a long half-life, I likely didn't go c/t until the third day, which is when I entered hell. Every nervous reaction was quadrupled, and my anxiety was so bad I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I went through 24 full DAYS of this type of heightened anxiety before the withdrawal finally let up. Mind you, I was still taking an SSRI and psychotropic! I can't imagine how bad it would have been without those.

I frequently go through 1 and 2 day withdrawals from oxy (as I said, I love my oxy and will chew through my supply early if I'm not careful) and they are NOTHING compared to benzo withdrawal. I use baclofen and loperamide (Imodium) to lessen the opiate withdrawal symptoms, but the restless legs always get me and I don't sleep. That is the worst symptom to me, but I would still take it over benzo withdrawal any day. I hope anyone thinking benzos are fun and games will read this and realize they have some serious drawbacks.

I'm diagnosed with GAD and panic attacks. I take very high dose benzos and opiates...
Having CTed both benzos and methadone120mg MMT, BENZOS were worse and sooooo long n painful not to mention the crippling anxiety, so bad...

I have never been through opiate withdrawal, but I was in a rehabilitation center with people that were and they seemed fine after 10 to 14 days. It looked like hell, but it has been over two months and I still don't feel completely back to normal. Easily the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with. Lesson learned.

People who havn't experienced BOTH Opiate WD and Benzo WD don't know the difference!
It amazes me how someone who has experienced ONE of the 2 and says it's much worse than the other, like HOW do you know that when you havn't experienced the other? Jesus Christ.
I mean, of course they're BOTH very uncomfortable, we all know that. It's fucking Withdrawal, of course.

I've been in FULL BLOWN Opiate withdrawal from 8 years of using multiple very potent Narcotic drugs.
They include Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Heroin, AND Methadone.

I've also experienced a moderate benzo withdrawal (wasn't minor, wasn't severe).
The doses I was taking were severely high. BUT my binge of using benzos ended within 6 to 8 months.
I was using Xanax/Alprazolam at 6 to 8mg daily. Or Valium/Diazepam at 60 to 80mg daily. Sometimes combined them, 2 to 4mg of Xanax/Alprazolam and 30 to 50mg of Valium/Diazepam.

So, imo, 6 to 8 months of using those incredibley high doses was enough to send me to the ER, with chief complaint of High blood pressure, shakiness, anxiety (fast heart beat), pain, nausea and vomiting, and also a risk of a possible seizure .
I got immediately put on IV fluids, and gave me medications to stop the possible seizure.
They gave me 6mg Lorazepam, 30mg Diazepam, .1mg Clonodine, 8mg Zofran all IV. Then I felt some relief.
12 hours later, they gave me an appointment with a psychiatrist, the soonest appt they found me was 2 weeks.
So they sent me home with a Rx for 42 2mg Lorazepam, to get me through those 2 weeks safely. 2mg 3x a day.
Which was awesome, thats when I fell in love with Lorazepam. Such a relaxing benzo.

2 weeks later, went to my appt with my psychiatrist, told her my problem with addiction to benzos, and wanted to get off SAFELY.
So she gave me a Rx for Clonazepam, started on 5.5mg daily for a week, and go down 0.5mg every week, I did exactly that, Successfully.

Opiate withdrawal is a nightmare for me because I've been on them almost 10 years, and not to mention I'm on a opiate that gives the worst fucking withdrawal, METHADONE!

In conclusion, imo Opiate withdrawal is more uncomfortable in both ways, physically, and mentally.
BUT, benzos withdrawal is far more dangerous.

They're both fucking awful and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

I've gone through countless Benzo & Opiate withdrawals, often at the same time. Hell on earth!

In my non professional opinion it really depends on multiple factors.
1. The person taking the drug
2. Type of benzo or opiate taken
3. Length of drug use with individual drug
4. Physical and mental health
5. State of living situation (job, no job, bills/rent being paid ect)

There's a lot of factors in play when it comes to drug usage and w/ding from said drugs.

In my case I am pretty strong willed (not perfect by any case mind you) and was on methadone for treatment of what I see now as a mild/medium addiction to percs, 15mg taken orally 6 to 10 times a day for about 5 years, would never take anything more than that at a time. I saw what my friends were going thru, turning
them from poppers to Iv H users over a very short time span. Thought I was so much smarter than these "dirty junkies" (I can look back now and say how stupid I was) until I really tried to stop taking pills.

First experience I moved to another state to stay with my brother after having financial problems, knew I was most likely going to w/d so bought about 12 15mg percs and took them all in the 10 hr drive there (not smart lol) felt great for the first day. Woke up the next day with mild symptoms but was able to get out and about, had small amount of anxiety, lil insomnia. Day 3 is when it kicked in, pain in the entire body and bones, full blown panic attacks and extreme rls and fatigue. At the time my brother chopped it up to altitude sickness, and I said yeah Colorado is some serious stuff lol, but the next couple days he knew something wasnt right, didn't sleep for the next 3 days, pain like I never felt in my life was coursing thru my muscles and bones and just mentally drained. Anyways I know this is long winded but it took me 6 to 7 days to feel somewhat normal with moderate alcohol intake to kill the w/d's, stayed clean from opiates for 6 months.

Then depression hit, I returned back to my home state and decided to just take a few percs to feel better...... Which of course 99% of addicts cannot do, after a few years of taking the percs, me and my chick decided to get clean after 2 and 1/2 days of perc w/d......... Looked up rehab, detox ect, and the only place we could find that would take us in that day was a methadone clinic. Never really even heard of methadone let alone take it, we were just happy our pain was going to get taken care of. First day they gave us the standard 30 mg of methadone and said come back tomorrow and we will up the dose, and damnit I thought I just took a miracle cure and this place was a godsend....... Wrong. The next year and a half I got up to 100 mg then down to 80mg, 6 months into it I was so addicted to the done but couldn't even feel a slight high/buzz, until one of the other members there gave me a xanax to take, BOOM!!! There it was that feeling I so longed missed. Sweet euphoria.

The next year I was on at least 80 mg of methadone up to 120mg (the counselors there didn't care when we went up or down as long as we had money......) while doing 2mg to 4mg of xanax a day. Since I had a job and my bills were paid I thought I was doing alright, until I went on my first done/xanax withdrawal. I didn't have any money to get either of my drugs for 3 days, I tried to drink a bottle of nyquil to help me sleep (bad idea), did not fall asleep but went into a serious zombie like state, wide awake but my brain could not function one bit, my g/f the next day was mad that I didn't have the energy/nerve to try to bus it to the methadone clinic, so I gave up and went to catch the bus, about 45 minutes into the ride I remember trying to play a simple cell phone game, could NOT play the game at all...... All of a sudden I see 2 blurry images of the screen, tried to call out to my gf but I couldn't speak, awoke in the emergency room. I had no idea what happened until my gf cryingly told me what had happened. I told the doc the truth of my drug withdrawal so for some reason he gave me a Vicodin script for my extreme body pain that I had no money for and told me I had to leave in the next ten minutes since I had no insurance.......... Anyways guys I went back to it started the whole thing over again, until 3 weeks ago monetarily detoxing, wasn't ready for it and this was the big one.

First 2 days were bad but I worked thru it, stupid idea, started hard core sweating couldn't keep fluids down, no eating, by the third day I couldn't sleep, stayed awake for about 4 days with every symptom you've seen except for vomiting, decided to drink a half gallon of vodka, blacked out, was told that I was jumping around and actually having fun. Fell asleep for 4 hours (WoW) woke up feeling everything times two, plus a nasty, nasty hangover. This was the first time I thought I might die from wding, heart was pumping out of my chest 2 to 3 times a second, breathing was hard to come by, but I fought thru it (again not recommended) stayed awake another 3 or 4 days, went to sleep for 1 hr, had what felt like 10 hrs of terrifying nightmares, cold sweats so on and it continued like that for 2 weeks. 3 weeks into this and I think most of the done wd is done not feeling much physical pain but my mind feels like it will never get back to normal, I took some type of mild muscle relaxer to help sleep and been sleeping 4 to 6 hours a night now. But long story short I think I'm the type of person that would rather feel physical pain than mental torture so I think xanax beats out morphine for me.

While never experiencing opiate wd, I am currently at the tail end of benzo wd.

Something to keep in mind, for most other types of wd, there is something to take to help you with your wd symptoms, and most likely it is a benzo. But for benzo wd, you are just SOL... all you can do is step down/taper off.

After 12 years of being on 70 mg of valium per day for utricular vertigo, I was cut off cold turkey, thanks to ObamaCare regs. (I am also on Medicaid.) Well, after three ER's told me that you can't just quit cold turkey like that (which I honestly didn't know, and this was after repeatedly asking my doc and also every time I switched to a new pharmacist... benzos are way safe, until you get addicted to them) they each gave me about a week's supply of valium, which lasted me until I went to 4th ER (BTW, again thanks to ObamaCare, only psychiatrists can prescribe benzos anymore, and they won't for wd symptoms). The doc there put me on a brutal 3 month step down process (brutal due to the length I was on them) that started last July, last dose of valium (or any benzo) was in October, and it wasn't until April that I was able to leave my house just to get a haircut.

If you want to look at a list of wd symptoms I went through, just hit up wikipedia's benzo wd https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome
I, truly, experienced all but 2 or 3 of "gradual or abrupt reduction" symptoms.

But, to put it simply, what sucked the most, is that benzos are anti-anxiety meds. Which means that every frickin' anxiety you can think of, you will suffer from. I was scared of everything... afraid to leave my bed, afraid that my bed was closing in on me, afraid I couldn't take another breath, afraid to fall asleep, afraid of sounds, afraid of not being able to swallow my food. Honestly, I can't imagine feeling more afraid than I did over about an 7 month period. And truthfully, I could probably spend years writing about this and still not even come close to explaining how every single thing scared me. Unless you have experienced it, you will not understand.

So, while I read that opiate wd have a lot of similar symptoms, I've yet to read one that suffered anything close to the I-have-no-clue-how-I-survived-anxiety wd of benzos. And I look at the flu-like symptoms of opiates and just laugh. Also, from the long period of time I was on them, I easily have another year of mild symptoms to go. I still have about 2 days a week in which my heart beats way too fast, or I just feel like I can't get my breath. Tastes of food changes on a daily basis. It really sucks.

Oh, and a BIG I should mention... if you are suffering from opiate wd, you can go to about any wd clinic in the country and you will get help. But I could not even find a single clinic that treated benzo wd, not even the Betty Ford clinic. Basically, benzo wd is too long term of a thing to deal with and nobody has insurance that will last that long. (This info was what caused the 4th ER doc to actually put me on step down dose. He didn't believe this until he made a few phone calls.)

One more thing to add. Like I said, my benzo addiction was do to vertigo, so I never felt the need to take another benzo to feel better from my wd, it wasn't a recreational drug for me... even though it made me feel better, i.e., no vertigo, it wasn't that much better than norm. So, even though I can't imagine a more brutal step down process, I was so pissed off that the benzos were doing this to me, that I never want to take another one again. I don't know if this is normal with benzo wd. But with opiate addictions, I know people definitely can't wait to get back on them... even years later. So, that is one thing that, for me atleast, isn't as bad when it comes to benzos vs opiate wd.

They're both fucking awful and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

I've gone through countless Benzo & Opiate withdrawals, often at the same time. Hell on earth!
6 months later and I still 100% agree with what I said. (Which is unusual haha)