• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate recovery question

Adrianm12

Bluelighter
I’ve decided to stop taking opiates due to addiction getting out of control and severe mental health side effects. I have a lower back injury that is severely painful, at the same time of my decision to quit the doctor coincidentally told me he was cutting me off strong pain killers. He prescribed pandiene forte (30mg codiene/500mg paracetmol). If I used this at a max of 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day for pain would this hinder the recovery process of my brain? Or does it require total abstinence?
I was using 60-80mg oxy either daily or every other day leading upto this so I figured the 60mg codiene woild barely effect dopamine, allowing my brain to realise it needs to start making it on its own again. Thanks heaps

Your tolerance will go way down but you need to stop entirely to get rid of the dependence. Even low dose dependence can be quite unpleasant to withdraw from.

Your tolerance will go way down but you need to stop entirely to get rid of the dependence. Even low dose dependence can be quite unpleasant to withdraw from.
Do you think from the massive drop in dosage and change of opiate this will allow dopamine receptors to upregulate? At this point I can honestly say once opiates wear off I’m left with close to no natural production I just wanna sleep all day can’t get out no motivation or focus and there is not one activity that I gain pleasure from let alone have motivation to do. Thanks

Of course they will up regulate but not all the way. Even from a low dose, without opiates you will still lack motivation and want to spend a lot of time in bed, it just won't be nearly as bad as coming off a high dose. It will still be bad though. You will need to stop completely for weeks at least before you start to feel normal without opiates.

O
Of course they will up regulate but not all the way. Even from a low dose, without opiates you will still lack motivation and want to spend a lot of time in bed, it just won't be nearly as bad as coming off a high dose. It will still be bad though. You will need to stop completely for weeks at least before you start to feel normal without opiates.
okay thanks heaps. On days I’m in pain I’ll only dose once 60mg codiene in one day and try not to dose two days in a row as the pain is severe and there’s just times where I can’t handle it, but mentally never been more ready to quit recreational opiates and my issue was always with harder opiates , codiene never did much for me recreationally so the codiene is purely my best option with the lest repercussions for pain management but obviously with single small dose ONLY on days in bad pain

I wouldnt be worried about the codeine. After doing opiates that's like nothing. Start tapering off opiates with that even

I wouldnt be worried about the codeine. After doing opiates that's like nothing. Start tapering off opiates with that even
Yeah thought so as 60mg of codiene woildnt even Give enough of a dopamine rush for a opiate naive person so I assumed my brain would def kickstart again. I’m aware that if codiene was used daily even at lower doses there would be some sort of withdrawal, but the significant improvement of dopamine production quality of life coming from 60-80mg of oxy a day would be a lot. But Even then I woildnt dose daily it was more of a every few days when in severe pain situation was just curious if the brain needed a complete abstinence to heal and if small non recreational doses every few days would delay the process of brain recovery. Thankyou for your reply

Yeah thought so as 60mg of codiene woildnt even Give enough of a dopamine rush for a opiate naive person so I assumed my brain would def kickstart again. I’m aware that if codiene was used daily even at lower doses there would be some sort of withdrawal, but the significant improvement of dopamine production quality of life coming from 60-80mg of oxy a day would be a lot. But Even then I woildnt dose daily it was more of a every few days when in severe pain situation was just curious if the brain needed a complete abstinence to heal and if small non recreational doses every few days would delay the process of brain recovery. Thankyou for your reply
Anytime

I generally agree. 60mg of codeine is nothing.

I've never even heard of anyone going into any significant withdrawal from an exclusively codeine habit limited too 240mg a day.

Not saying it's impossible, but I haven't heard of it.

If your lower back injury is of an inflammatory nature, it would be worth spending some time seeing which NSAIDs work for you too.

Despite the fact they are not anywhere near as "fun" or narcotizing as opioids, I have found that naproxen or diclofenac, or even high dose ibuprofen are very effective at reducing pain from injuries to a tolerable level. If you find they upset your stomach there are combination drugs like Arthrotec and one that is an antacid plus a NSAID to look into too.

Than

I've never even heard of anyone going into any significant withdrawal from an exclusively codeine habit limited too 240mg a day.

ill try to use it as per needed also so there would be days it might not be used at all, thanks for your time !

If your lower back injury is of an inflammatory nature, it would be worth spending some time seeing which NSAIDs work for you too.

Despite the fact they are not anywhere near as "fun" or narcotizing as opioids, I have found that naproxen or diclofenac, or even high dose ibuprofen are very effective at reducing pain from injuries to a tolerable level. If you find they upset your stomach there are combination drugs like Arthrotec and one that is an antacid plus a NSAID to look into too.
I have 5 bulged discs in the lumber spine 2 of the are indenting my sciatic nerve, once I got the result from a doc I was given opiates for when it was severe and nsaids for everyday use. I tried about 3-4 different types even the stronger ones and found they did nothing at all, sometimes my pain would continue to flare up further after taking them, I found normal paracetamol to work better then prescriptions nsaids, but thanks for the suggestion anyway appreciated !

Also take lyrica 2x daily which helps with the pain shooting down leg but not much effect on the pain in my actual back area

as stupid as this will sound the reason I switched from codeine to heroin was because of wd but then again I was using 3000+mg doses no bulshit! I even swear once I went up to 4500mg apart from my first high those are probably the highest I've been