• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Opiate Pills Addiction - Not sure if I can stop

vilaro

Greenlighter
Hello,

I've been taking painkillers since I had open heart surgery 15 months ago.
Moved back and forth from Oxycodone to Vicodin but never taking more than 10 or 15mg at night. Never more than that.
Right now I'm taking it everyday, open heart surgery is incredibly painful but I think my pain has gotten better enough to stop taking pain pills.
I'm very scared of going through some withdrawal symptoms as I usually start feeling awful when I skip a day (flulike symptoms and bad anxiety).
The thing is that the painkiller pills make me feel really good and they're like the only thing that can heal a very bad symptom I developed : the annoying heart palpitations.
The type of palpitations I have since my surgery are benign but very uncomfortable and depressing for me and they're not going away.
I feel awful when they start usually at night unless I take a pill (2 vicodins do the trick).
Already tried other types of medication but nothing really helps beside the opiates, I know, they don't stop the arrhythmia but I just don't feel the bad sensation of the heart jumping hard between 10 seconds after taking them.
I don't feel good anymore with this dependency and I'm scared of not being able to stop.
Doctors have said the palpitations should stop within time (maybe a year) but even if that happens I don't know how would be the best way to stop taking these pills.
Can cold turkey be an option for me with that daily amount of 10-15mg?

Thanks for reading friends.

Hi Vilaro, I would first encourage you to stay in close contact with your Primary dr or the surgeon who operated. If you have already reached out and been reassured then report back any changes.

As for the Pain relief you were issued, is it still prescribed on a repeat basis or on your request? If you have never exceeded the dosage you mention, that will definitely work in your favour. However I would not suggest a cold turkey scenario as 15 months will have probably given you a slight dependence, that is just the nature of Opiates/Opioids. Are your Oxy or Vicodin both immediate release, or extended release (I am guessing that is the US terminology)??

Thanks for the reply,
I've been prescribed the Oxy and Vicodin for the pain but I take less than the typical suggestion which is every 4 or 6 hours.
My chest scar developed a painful keloid that compromised a few nerves so they know it should hurt bad.
Never have taken more than 15 mg on a single day, never. The ones I have are with the immediate release formula.

Is there any particular reason you have been prescribed both Oxycodone and Hydrocodone? Have you ever tried 12hrly versions of either medicine?

Oxycodone was the main one they gave me but a few months ago a different doctor prescribed me hydrocodone while I was out of the country.
They both work for me, the extended release Oxycontin which I tried a long time ago gave me a lot of nausea and is not covered by my insurance.

Ah ok I’m with you now. I would have suggested switching to a sustained release, as it would be easier to move down in dosage gradually. Are they tablet or capsule form?

Ah ok I’m with you now. I would have suggested switching to a sustained release, as it would be easier to move down in dosage gradually. Are they tablet or capsule form?
im taking tablets.
Is it easier with the extended release formula to divided gradually?

I’m gonna be honest with you. Could you go cold turkey? 100% this is not that high of a dose that it’s gonna be that bad. I won’t sit here and tell you you don’t have dependence and won’t face withdrawals. at that dose you’ll be looking at mild chills, insomnia for around 5-7 days, depression and lack of energy (for a week). After that clears, you’ll be on your way back to normal and feeling better again. If you wanted you could go 15 mg to 10 mg for a week or two and 5 mg for a week or two.

You’re lucky you’re not in too deep right now. I’d suggest getting out before it really digs its hooks in you

What makes it easier is, you have the drug in your system for longer, so the time to start feeling withdrawal effects will be longer. This is why the likes of OxyContin and more commonly methadone are used clinically for people who have been using short acting Opiates/Opioids.

I’m gonna be honest with you. Could you go cold turkey? 100% this is not that high of a dose that it’s gonna be that bad. I won’t sit here and tell you you don’t have dependence and won’t face withdrawals. at that dose you’ll be looking at mild chills, insomnia for around 5-7 days, depression and lack of energy (for a week). After that clears, you’ll be on your way back to normal and feeling better again. If you wanted you could go 15 mg to 10 mg for a week or two and 5 mg for a week or two.

You’re lucky you’re not in too deep right now. I’d suggest getting out before it really digs its hooks in you
Thanks for the advice.
Would it be less painful if I go down 5mg gradually within a couple of weeks?

What makes it easier is, you have the drug in your system for longer, so the time to start feeling withdrawal effects will be longer. This is why the likes of OxyContin and more commonly methadone are used clinically for people who have been using short acting Opiates/Opioids.
I still have a bottle I think with a few extended release 10mg Oxycontin in my house.
Would it be helpful you think to take those during the last days if I go down gradually?

As Opi said, you will probably not have anything more than discomfort as oppose to all out withdrawal symptoms, which is testament to you sticking to your dose for the duration. I would either miss your next dose and see what does or doesn’t creep in, or take the 10mg contin in place of your ir 15mg. That’s what I would do.

I wish my daily dose of Oxy was as low as yours! I've been on 120mg IR daily for 3 years and acute withdrawal from that is truly crippling!

Hey Evo, Have you not considered maybe trying a base level contin, e.g a 30mg twice a day, and have 3 ir 20mg on hand for as needed. You might find you can stay under 100mg a day then. That’s the way dose reductions are done even in rehab!!

I've been on 120mg IR daily for 3 years and acute withdrawal from that is truly crippling!
Can imagine as have been there. 4*30mg ir day for 20 odd years. When I ran out it was no fun.
Somehow landed here a few years back and found options to minimize WDs. Now only eat oxy when and if I feel like it; not "as needed" (which for me was quite often :) ) because I did find options to actually take the place of these meds.
I usually start feeling awful when I skip a day (flulike symptoms and bad anxiety).
That is WDs as one probably knows.
I imagine it after over a year of use the WDs may warrant a week off work if possible (unless one finds an alternative that may help one function while going through WDs).
Not impossible:
Just think how pharma pushed this product as non-addictive and how this sales-pitch contributed to so much agony, misery and death (either directly or collaterally > pressed pills, powder, liquid and rock made up of who knows what). I mean think about it.... This helped me break that chain from anger. :mad:
Or titerate down (taper) and jump off....
Here's to you.
Be well
One

Edit:
immediate release, or extended release (I am guessing that is the US terminology)??
It is. :)

Last edited:
They were marketing everything synthesised as a nice little remedy in the 1900’s so we have had a lot of warning, it’s just updated and rolled out when needed lol.

Thank you all for the good info.
I spoke with my doctor today and I won't have a refill for next month.
Still have like 10 pills of 5mg Oxy and 12 Vicodins.
Will see if I can take just one at night starting this weekend until I run out.

A good thing which may sound rare is that during this last year I stopped drinking.
I used to drink quite a lot before but can't really stand the alcohol when I take a pill.
Anyway, I hope I still sober like I am now when I stop taking opiates.

Hello,

I've been taking painkillers since I had open heart surgery 15 months ago.
Moved back and forth from Oxycodone to Vicodin but never taking more than 10 or 15mg at night. Never more than that.
Right now I'm taking it everyday, open heart surgery is incredibly painful but I think my pain has gotten better enough to stop taking pain pills.
I'm very scared of going through some withdrawal symptoms as I usually start feeling awful when I skip a day (flulike symptoms and bad anxiety).
The thing is that the painkiller pills make me feel really good and they're like the only thing that can heal a very bad symptom I developed : the annoying heart palpitations.
The type of palpitations I have since my surgery are benign but very uncomfortable and depressing for me and they're not going away.
I feel awful when they start usually at night unless I take a pill (2 vicodins do the trick).
Already tried other types of medication but nothing really helps beside the opiates, I know, they don't stop the arrhythmia but I just don't feel the bad sensation of the heart jumping hard between 10 seconds after taking them.
I don't feel good anymore with this dependency and I'm scared of not being able to stop.
Doctors have said the palpitations should stop within time (maybe a year) but even if that happens I don't know how would be the best way to stop taking these pills.
Can cold turkey be an option for me with that daily amount of 10-15mg?

Thanks for reading friends.
You can cold turkey that no problem.

And hate to break it to you, but if you don’t stop at this point, you are probably going to be in for decades of doing things you never thought you’d do for Dope money.

As Opi said, you will probably not have anything more than discomfort as oppose to all out withdrawal symptoms, which is testament to you sticking to your dose for the duration. I would either miss your next dose and see what does or doesn’t creep in, or take the 10mg contin in place of your ir 15mg. That’s what I would do.

I don't really like ER oxy tbh, i never get adequate pain relief.