• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

opiate high and sleep

bomber

Bluelighter
I know nothing can replace sleep, but, can an opiate high sometimes be used as a substitute to sleep? I don't mean just cover the symptoms of the lack of sleep while the effect lasts, but actually be a resting situation for our body, substituting some hours of sleep.
I know it sounds weird but actually I think it has worked for me sometimes.

Well many times while you are on opiates/opioids your body does enter a place that is basically sleep, thats what "nodding out" is to an extent. Its definitely not a deep sleep, but its like grazing the surface of sleep. So yeah, it could technically substitute in a very crude manner, but its not going to be anywhere near as restful as real sleep. Also, i dont believe it will have the same repairing effects that real sleep has on the body and mind.

I don't really think so. Like Headhigh said if you are nodding then you are kind of getting a light doze, but that is not a replacement. More than likely you are getting a sort of second wave from the opiates. I can experience the same thing at times. I will be tired but can pop a few and will feel up and good for a little while. It usually does not last, and I get tired within a few hours of eating the pill

I think if ur getting high that meaning your kinda chillin so like if I was just chillin at my house sleep deprivation wouldnt be as noticable as if I was say driving or doing a complex job

I would say no. Actual, restorative sleep requires experiencing the necessary stages of the sleep cycle. Kind of like when you get really drunk and pass out, it's not true restorative sleep that you're experiencing, so ultimately, when you wake up, you won't be rested in the way that your body needs.

As far as I know, Opioids don't interfere with sleep architecture in the same way that Alcohol does, so if you use an Opioid and then fall completely asleep, it could be a restorative sleep. I'm not sure of this.

If what you're asking is, can being in an Opioid stupor/nod substitute for sleep, then I would say no, but I'm no expert on sleep, which actually is a pretty complex and little-understood phenomenon.

^Yeah I see your point. Of course I don't claim opiates can replace sleep, nothing can. I just figured an opiate high is a resting expiriense. The whole relaxation and pain relive and the slowed down brain activity feels like a resting-even self repairing situation. I would mostly liken it with meditation or something. I mean, remember your first heroin uses. Didn't you feel pretty healthy and rested the next day after using?

Opioids are not a replacement for real sleep, and in fact, opioid use in excess can disrupt sleep structure.

Drugs are the devils tool Allah will punish those who dwell with no mercy for all eternity.. unless you all stop see the light biuka drukbgi hishalam my brothers.

IMO opiates are no replacement and actually have kept me from getting real, uninterrupted, deep, restorative sleep for what feels like an eternity. I notice you made the assumption or connection of the opiate high to just chilling and relaxing but for anyone who has been on opiates constantly for long enough time there isn't really that high you were describing anymore..at least not for me.. After large doses I will have trouble breathing before I get to that high where I'm nodding out...those were the days before horse-killing tolerances developed.. high dose lyrica will help those with huge tolerances get their nod on tho..1000-1600 mgs is great addition..