• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate enzyme inhibitors. How drastic do they affect the metabolism of opiates.

Tajaodan

Greenlighter
Noticed that klonopin was a inhibitor to the enzymes that affect the metabolism of opiates. Does it change the half life of the drug and how drastic is it. Say oxycodone has a 4.5 hour half life how much longer would a inhibitor keep the drug in your system. Also how long does it slow down the rate of metabolism.

Certain Opioids are affected by changes made to certain enzymes through certain foods and medications, this is true. The amount of potentiation that you will actually encounter is going to vary heavily though. Speaking from experience, using potentiators like Cimetidine (Tagamet), Grapefruit juice and the like might give you a boost of 10% - 15% at most, nothing groundbreaking.

From an enzyme perspective, the Clonazepam (Klonopin) is not going to have a major effect on what they do or don't do. The real potentiation is going to come from using a Benzodiazepine with an Opioid and the synergy that comes with using central nervous system depressants that work on different systems in the brain and body. As for more exact timing, all we can do is speculate.

I was asking more along the lines of since they are inhibitors what effect does taking klonopin have on how fast the opiates leave your system.

Well anything that inhibits the enzymes that break down the drug are obviously going to slow the elimination of said drug. It's impossible to say how much longer the drug will stay in your system due to the inhibition, there are too many factors, body chemistry, liver function, original enzyme count, drug taken, amount of drug taken, how well you personally absorb the drug, what ROA you used, etc.

Cimetidine would be a much better potentiator via enzyme inhibition than clonazepam. I've found enzyme inhibitors to only really effect duration. Be very careful if youre mixing the klonopin and oxy.

Cimetidine would be a much better potentiator via enzyme inhibition than clonazepam. I've found enzyme inhibitors to only really effect duration. Be very careful if youre mixing the klonopin and oxy.

That's right, Tagamet will not really increase the buzz but it will last a bit longer, although the effect isn't huge because the "first pass" liver metabolism of hydrocodone and oxycodone is fairly low meaning that oral bioavailability is pretty high. I usually take 3 Cimetidine (600 mg) with my opioid dose.

FYI you wouldn't want to do this with codeine because codeine has to be metabolized (by CYP2D6) to work, so Tagamet would block the metabolism to morphine and you would get no effect.

I was asking more along the lines of since they are inhibitors what effect does taking klonopin have on how fast the opiates leave your system.

What I was getting at, is that all we can do is give an extremely rough approximation of how long the effects of your drugs will last. It's just not possible. The best way to answer your question would be to try taking your Opioids with the potentiators and to see first hand how your experience is altered.

Well i have 6 days to get the opiates out of my system so i guess i asked the question wrong. Since klonopin is a inhibitor will it take longer to get the opiates out of the system.

Well i have 6 days to get the opiates out of my system so i guess i asked the question wrong. Since klonopin is a inhibitor will it take longer to get the opiates out of the system.

If you're trying to figure out if klonopin will increase urinalysis detection time, any effect will negiligible. I'm pretty sure drug test questions aren't allowed though.