• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Opiate Addiction Cycle

WitchDr

Bluelighter
New member long time user.
Currently on who knows how many attempts to get clean off of heroin and pills.
I spent years on pain meds for a screwed up spine and then when dr.s started cutting me off I went to the street for a few years for oxys and morphine until the streets started drying up and I eventually was able to convince myself , in a fit of some kind of spontaneity to give heroin a tee tiny try. And that was that, the end of the road. No more figuring it's ok to use drugs as long as I'm not on heroin, no more walking a line to keep withdrawals managable. You cross all lines with heroin. It gives your opiate receptors a complete constant rush, it maxes the receptors out and any sense of regulation or tolerance is gone in an instant. It burns you're brain and body out immediately and nothing but heroin will refill you.
All these years of trying to get ahold of my pain pill addiction before it became a problem and now I've added heroin to it..

Seems hopeless if instead of getting off pills you got on heroin but here I am an I know that I have at least never been so sick of drugs. I know I've never hated/loved a drug as much as h. The withdrawals change you. And I believe knowing you can be in an bad state of relapse but not lose hope, that it's sometimes part of the process and with that on your mind you continue to fight and as long as you know to keep trying everytime you will get stronger and better.
So I know I'll get off h but think it will be harder to get off the pills which make getting off the h easier

First step is to get completely off the heroin while still using the pills as needed. The only way I have had any success is to taper with pills and I think morphine is the easiest opiate to use responsibly as maintenance for withdrawals besides maybe bupe or methadone, but I'm worse about slipping up on methadone I find I it has a much stronger interaction and I can't resist the high when I take methadone with some pills. This time im using Subutex on weekends to break the tolerance to the morphine. It seems to work on withdrawal effects but does nothing for cravings.
I work and basically unable to get into a facility or a rehab. Also I don't like the facilities try to make it seem like you will die if you slip up, which is possible but unlikely.
What I'm learning is most likely I will relapse over and over until I learn the lessons and condition myself to not want to relapse.

I'm going weeks in between relapses now and only slip a few days at a time instead of months or weeks. I'm focused on my progress and I get more and more sick of myself everytime I slip up and use. I know I'm ready to quit.

Hey @WitchDr - Welcome to Bluelight.

I'm going to shoot this over to Health and Recovery, where your thread is more appropriate.

Good luck in recovery. I'm trying to stay clean from meth. We here at Bluelight will be here to support you along the way.

Peace.

First of all, the fact that your heroin use is still as minimal as you claim it to be is important. You are obviously aware of this at least, so there's not much more one could suggest to you, other than the obvious, but crucial - you don't need it. That's it.

But because being able to persist in having such a clear perspective towards the matter as you have ends up as not being the case in most cases, for some strange reason, all that can be truly given as advice is the reassurance that you have made the right decision and that you should be given utmost support in keeping up with such a clear perspective.

Towards the heroin for sure, although pills are up for a thread of their own for being a reason you went to h, which means that it's likely that it will just happen all over again.

As you say nothing but heroin will refill you, but you are saying that from being on meds for all this time so yeah ofc it is the end of the road in that regard. Now you must either get out of your car and start walking like in the R.E.M. music video or drive off into a whole another space time continuum like in Back To The Future. Whatever you choose.

First step is to get completely off the heroin while still using the pills as needed. The only way I have had any success is to taper with pills and I think morphine is the easiest opiate to use responsibly as maintenance for withdrawals besides maybe bupe or methadone, but I'm worse about slipping up on methadone I find I it has a much stronger interaction and I can't resist the high when I take methadone with some pills. This time im using Subutex on weekends to break the tolerance to the morphine. It seems to work on withdrawal effects but does nothing for cravings.
For a comparison sake, let's assume that one couldn't be effectively doing methadone and other opioids at the same time, because they would be unable to feel their drugs to its full extent, until they had their tolerance to methadone broken. This factor of lack in effects, also combined with one's tolerance actually becoming lesser than he expects it to be, could lead one to possibly overdosing from such drugs, due to the methadone.

Now I don't know about suboxone, but in a scheme like this it could potentially go ugly even in a morphine/suboxone equation, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's better to be safe than dead. Probably.

If your tolerance is high enough for suboxone to be effective, as to be breaking it for more morphine along the way, your tolerance is still going to keep building up nevertheless, so you're doing yourself wrong at that.

If you happen to find suboxone useful as a tool at breaking your tolerance the other way around, however, as to be tapering your dose of morphine progressively, while keeping it effective enough to manage your pain and withdrawals along the way simultaneously, until the point you find your dose to be low enough to a point where you don't crave it anymore, or even to the point where you would become able to remain functioning without it...

...It seems like one of those best wishes you usually get during the Christmas season, just not as cliche.

So, yeah, have a happy new year!

Last edited:
I should clarify I'm planning to only use the morphine to withstand the withdrawels until I can completely get off heroin.
Which I've now done for second day for the hundredth time but I have been feeling and now definitely know I'm finally sick of drugs. I've never not wanted the drugs on my own it's always been a from outside influence, someone telling me it's bad but now I know why and how it's bad and I've grown a hatred towards it .
My point is, I've relapsed again but I finally have hope bc I've gotten clean from h many times for weeks at a time but I'm more determined this time , really don't want to be back here, though I might be which will suck but I have hope that I'm close that one of these times I'm going to go for months and hopefully longer.
So my plan is to stay off heroin and keep tapering the pills and trying to detox and then taking the bupe and learning some way to stay off pills.

Also the Dr has me on latuda and .5mg clonazepam (which I've been cutting down for yrs, used to be on 4mgs clonazepam) been taking 2-4mgs of zanaflex and or 50mgs trazadone at night along with 300-600mgs of gabapentin during the day, which all helps tremendously

I'm going weeks in between relapses now and only slip a few days at a time instead of months or weeks. I'm focused on my progress and I get more and more sick of myself everytime I slip up and use. I know I'm ready to quit.
I'm sorry if I just gave you bad advice, then, my bad. I thought you were already doing a lot more morphine and less heroin. Although whatever you're doing really comes down to being just a lot more morphine and less heroin depending on how you're gonna look at it. Be safe.

.5mg clonazepam (which I've been cutting down for yrs, used to be on 4mgs clonazepam)
This in itself deserves some praise. Shit... tapering benzos can be a pure bitch; more so to let them go.
I get more and more sick of myself everytime I slip up and use. I know I'm ready to quit.
That's the ticket. This seems to either make or break an individual. Taken from one perspective it can encourage one to do "better"; from another viewpoint, it can be the path to destruction. The head fuckery that goes along with the selfish use of substances while other (more important?) pieces of our lives are being neglected is enough to drive one to distraction and worse if we let it. The important thing for me is to not let it take me down and if this does occur; well, it's time to straighten some shit out (temporarily will suffice for me) so that I do not have to live in such a dark place all the time.
I would bet 90% of BL-ers have felt this more that a couple times throughout their lives. Regretfully this is not a new thought/feeling. This does not apply to psychoactive substances only... eating, gambling, sex etc. etc. brings the same misfortune with over-indulgence. Seems that something has it's hooks in everyone in some form. Good/Bad? WTF? LOL How does one come to terms with this phenom?

Sometimes, it's simply not up on the individual to toughen up as if merely changing one's mind about his natural need for a drug he has is going to work, however.

Sometimes one needs to look into it's roots in order to transform a problem into a more favourable condition and a better outlook towards it than he has had previously to find it manageable once again.

I haven’t heard the Thomas recipe mentioned much anymore around here, but it truly helped me in my darkest times, so check the archives for that. I FEEL your pain brother. Watch some David Goggins videos on YouTube and stay strong. Kratom can be a fucking Godsend as well. This is a time game. Plan your nutrition. Schedule your day. Hit meetings even if you think they are bullshit just to fill your time. Your body WILL heal. Keep us posted and ONWARD... hang with people who are clean even if it makes you sick. You can get there. If I did, you can.

Sometimes one needs to look into it's roots in order to transform a problem into a more favourable condition
🥳
Damn... good shit right there. Like you took possession of the ball that was being bounced. Wonder how many users are in it just for the feeling? I mean, are all forms of addiction (where our feel good comes from) a type of buffer from some inner turmoil?

Kratom can be a fucking Godsend ....
Here here... kratom may be an option that can help one off the H bus... if one wants to; or help fill the spots where one is fiending and not wanting to "backslide" or funds are not available.

🥳
Damn... good shit right there. Like you took possession of the ball that was being bounced. Wonder how many users are in it just for the feeling? I mean, are all forms of addiction (where our feel good comes from) a type of buffer from some inner turmoil?

This is an interesting point, one I have thought quite a bit about recently, as I am sober AF right now after a super tenacious rabbit hole down a GBL bender, using ETOH to alleviate the w/d symptoms, resulting in well, ya know, living hell for a week.
I have a life I can not complain one fucking bit about. Fucked up childhood trauma like everyone else- but I can’t blame that for my constant desire to be tilted at 40. Sometimes when you straighten out your life and address the underlying issues, you are still left with a desire for a fun, interesting twist, just for the relief of day to day sobriety. Oh, life!
I’d say the number one offenders for perpetual drug ABUSE are mental health issues and unemployment. Both of course breed being unemployable and increasingly mentally ill. Vicious circle. You can outsmart it until you can’t.

acronym CHIME:
Connection
Hope
Identity
Meaning
Empowerment

I’d add gratitude, fitness and nutrition to that as well. Stay strong🌈💫

🥳
I'm sorry if I kind of hijacked this thread already.

I guess my point was just that there is almost never much luck in keeping up with an H habit, sooner or later one will have to turn to treating it in its roots, in most of cases.

But I don't wanna be preaching on something that I have barely experienced or had much success in dealing with myself, so I may be just talking out of my ass here as usual.

Last edited:
Look--believe it or not it is very possible to recover. However I won't lie to you--if you really do want to get clean from this point forward it's kind of like a spiritual redefining. Sobriety from opiates encompasses basically every human emotion at certain points and it's a really traumatic experience for better and for worse. Not even the withdrawal.. just in general the transition to living daily without a buzz.

My roomate had the same situation as you in a way. As soon as he switched to heroin he totally went off the rails, and when he was on just oxy he did not even seem anything like an addict and was totally functional. People think that heroin is just another opiate, while in fact it is QUEEN opiate. Someone who dabbles in oxy 30mg a day who starts snorting heroin will suddenly need 200mg of oxy a day in a couple of months due to the perpetual need to redose.

However, my roomate is totally clean now and in the army (lol!). He was forced on to the vivitrol shot by his family (that can be as your emergency last resort if needed--and also suboxone). If you do find yourself relapsing on an heroin all over again please do consider at least a best case scenario form of treatment. It's not ideal to be on suboxone forever, but it's better than using an extremely variable powder than can contain fentynal at any given point and literally kill you. I would always offer this advice to any addict who finds himself or herself unable to quit--minimize the damage as best as you can. Most people do not realize that it's drastically easier to keep using than to quit and enter sobriety from opiates. Little do people know that opiate addiction can be a life-long prison when they start feeling that beautiful 10 milligram percocet, and there's no way to tell down the line how much worse it will get. I don't mean to say this to discourage you.. but it may be a good idea to plan out some last resorts if you do find yourself relapsing over and over again as I have in the past. You always think you're out of the woods until you're somehow alone in a room swallowing opiates all day all over again. It gets pretty bleak, but it's realistic that one shouldn't be able to quit. This is why we have tools to help us avoid heroin. I wish you luck though for sure! It's not the best HR advice, but I think if you do find yourself relapsing (which totally happens for most of us) then try to make sure it's only on oxy and you can moderate the amount. Many people have died when relapsing on heroin because of the lowered tolerance--at least you can control your dose with oxy.

Last edited:
If you were a plant, a plant does not grow its roots stronger and would never have evolved into a plant it is, from expecting it to rain. It isn't even aware of this. The same is true if it rains all the time, not all of them can take it. There's more to life than this. It is simple form of life taken as a metaphor, however the essence remains.

If this plant finds enough life or hope to make the roots of their 'issues' grow stronger along the way, this is how it has evolved into a plant it is in the first place.

Last edited:
How do I like replys?
Either way I appreciate all the advice and will look into the Thomas method.
I'll say right now I'm focused on getting completely off h. I mean I don't know what else to do, I would like to go to rehab but havnt had any luck finding anything decent along with the fact that I can't just tell my job that I have to go to rehab. Which is what I need but luckily at this point I have a lot of knowledge, experience and the right medications for this and so I'm at least capable to keep trying on my own.

But I gotta say 3 days in is kicking my ass with cravings. Yesterday was a detox with subutex day and today is a take as little of morphine as possible day which I've kept it to 60 mg for the day so far which has stabilized the withdrawels but not the cravings of course.
I may take a little more for the night not sure and will stay on this course til my next day off when I'll do subutex. I do at least 12 -20hrs in between using the morph and sub.

Right now i'm about to take my gaba and zanaflex for the night and hopefully keep my course tomarrow.
Anyway I'm just so sick of it and thought I'd share the hope that has given me of finally craving sobriety instead of a big ball of black.

I hope it is dead but idk itll only get better if treatment and awareness continues. I've dealt with addiction an fucked up but started trying to quit bout a month after I started lol

I just hope this shit disappears but I worry it's not going away and be like before. With the cost, increasing availability and the screwed up medical laws combined with how strong and overpowering it is, a lot of people are going to fall prey to it. I never thought something could control me like it does