• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opana ER & Oxycodone - too tired!

BeachBum4u

Bluelighter
So here's my problem - I am prescribed Opana ER 40 mg twice daily and oxycodone 15 mg x 4 daily for BT. There are times during the day where I just can't keep my eyes open. Granted I have sleep issues and I'm currently working on resolving this issue but I still have an abnormal amount of sleepiness all the time. I can literally doze off while on my laptop, watching TV and almost anywhere! I had a friend years ago who was prescribed something that was an amphetamine and she used to tell me it made her jittery at time, so I"m sure it did it's job (maybe too good for her at times). I think the drug started with "P", maybe Prog or Prob??? (maybe ended with "lin", but I just can't seem to remember what it was. Hopefully someone here has some idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone in a PM regiment has heard of their doctor prescribing something like that to counteract the pain med's tendency to cause tiredness? Also, is this dosage of a level that it should be causing this level of tiredness? I'm definitely very tolerant to narcotics. I used to take about 400 mg of oxycodone daily about 10 - 15 years ago and when I started going this (new to me) new PM doc nearly 4 years ago, he started me on Opana ER 40 mg x 4 daily and oxycodone 15 mg x 4 daily. I've actually been reduced in half since I started there. He stated that he was going to start me out at a dose equal to what I was taking with the old PM doc. After a few months, he then told me he needed to cut my level back considerably (of course that kind of talk made me very nervous!). He then proceeded to do so over the next 3-4 months to the doses I am now taking. I've been on this level for about 3 1/2 years and other than the tiredness (and the standard bowel issues) I'm pretty happy with where things stand.

Any thoughts/ideas?

It is very uncommon to prescribe amphetamines to combat fatigue and drowsiness in patients who arent suffering from depression or narcolepsy. It is generally frowned upon and even illegal in places.

Was the drug pregabalin? Its not a stimulant but used for neuropathy.

lower the opana dose and increase the oxycodone if needed. I find opana induces sleep while oxycodone does cause one to be tired, but also interferes with sleep creating fatigue more than sleep feeling.

That sounds like a huge amount of daily opiates, I'd tell your doc and get your dosage lowered in half

When I was searching for what the drug was, I came across that one and although it looked right, I'm pretty sure it's not it. What she was taken was clearly some sort of upper, no doubt. She used to have a terrible time with tiredness (from some med) and although she never told me what she was taking, it was pretty clear the med made her tired and her doc gave her something to combat it. I wish I could go back in time and ask her but that's a no go.

lower the opana dose and increase the oxycodone if needed. I find opana induces sleep while oxycodone does cause one to be tired, but also interferes with sleep creating fatigue more than sleep feeling.

The problem with that is that I need to be on some sort of long-acting med and if he were to be OK with switching to an oxycodone based med, that'd be OxyContin and this practice has told me (at my first visit) they won't touch OxyContin with a ten-foot pole, so to speak. So that's a no go.

To answer another comment, I've already had my dosage cut in half and I need to be where I am for pain purposes. For the record, I've been CP patient on and off for over 30 years. I've been dealing with this sort of thing for ages and I get really tired of the whole thing sometimes but the fact is, I've been told I'll be on these meds until the day I die. So, it is what it is.

Thanks for the comments!

Im on 10mg opana er 3 times a day and 30mg 2x a day and i also have sleep problems, but i notice during the day I'll feel tired like you explained.

They give you oxy IR but wont touch Oxycontin? PM doctors baffle me sometimes.

They give you oxymorphone ER and not oxycodone ER, but oxycodone IR. Rediculouse!

Yeah kitty I'm with you on that one. My doc is the same way,don't they realize oxy ir is easier to abuse then the oxycontin OPs? Maybe 6 years ago it would have made more sense but not now!

They give you oxymorphone ER and not oxycodone ER, but oxycodone IR. Rediculouse!

Yeah kitty I'm with you on that one. My doc is the same way,don't they realize oxy ir is easier to abuse then the oxycontin OPs? Maybe 6 years ago it would have made more sense but not now!

Yea, I totally agree but the answer is pretty obvious given the negative press OxyContin has received in the past 5+ years. Not to mention, senseless overdoses. OxyContin has a stigma attached to it very few others drugs have ever experienced. I believe for that reason, this practice has basically pulled that option from their docs. I don't know, maybe they think if the DEA takes a peek at their records, they might be viewed in a more favorable light with no OxyContin scripts in their records. It's totally imagined and not real, IMHO.

I'm on 10mg opana er 3 times a day and 30mg 2x a day and i also have sleep problems, but i notice during the day I'll feel tired like you explained.

Do you think your doctor would be opposed to prescribing something to counteract your tiredness/sleep issues?

Yea, I totally agree but the answer is pretty obvious given the negative press OxyContin has received in the past 5+ years. Not to mention, senseless overdoses. OxyContin has a stigma attached to it very few others drugs have ever experienced. I believe for that reason, this practice has basically pulled that option from their docs. I don't know, maybe they think if the DEA takes a peek at their records, they might be viewed in a more favorable light with no OxyContin scripts in their records. It's totally imagined and not real, IMHO.
I understand what you're saying but OxyContin is the same s Oxycodone just one is extended and one is instant.

I understand what you're saying but OxyContin is the same s Oxycodone just one is extended and one is instant.

Yep, I totally get it. Like I said, it's that one word that freaks them out. I could tell on the first visit when the doc looked at what I was taking. He started shaking his head almost immediately. He said something like, oh no no, we haven't and never will prescribe OxyContin here. End of discussion. Again the crazy part is that the Oxycodone 15mg pills I get are one of the easiest pills to abuse, whereas the OP OxyContin is ridiculously hard to abuse. What can I say?

It is very uncommon to prescribe amphetamines to combat fatigue and drowsiness in patients who arent suffering from depression or narcolepsy. It is generally frowned upon and even illegal in places.

You are completely wrong. Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Adderall, and other amphetamines are very commonly prescribed to treat narcolepsy. They are also prescribed off-label to treat fatigue-related depression. I am on Butran patches that make me quite sleepy and my Dexedrine is there to keep me awake, not to mention that amphetamines can further reduce pain when take with narcotics.

What if you just say an extended release of the percocet or just oxycodone. That way you are not saying oxycotin, but it is saying the same thing in the end. Maybe explain the benifits of reducing frequency of dosing with a sustained released formula reducing the rollercoaster ride of full pain relief to none.

You are completely wrong. Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Adderall, and other amphetamines are very commonly prescribed to treat narcolepsy. They are also prescribed off-label to treat fatigue-related depression. I am on Butran patches that make me quite sleepy and my Dexedrine is there to keep me awake, not to mention that amphetamines can further reduce pain when take with narcotics.

Thats what I said. Narcolepsy, adhd, depression absolutely but to combat fatigue from medicine, not so much.

Thats what I said. Narcolepsy, adhd, depression absolutely but to combat fatigue from medicine, not so much.

Off-label could work for it, even if you are fatigued by other medications, but yeah - ADD, ADHD, and narcolepsy are the main diseases for which amphetamines are prescribed. Getting ADD or ADHD diagnosis is SO easy though. Then you have to tell the doctor you already tried SSRI's and Ritalin and you can very much get at least Adderall.