• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

one-time iv methylphenidate use... what are the risks of complications?

Randy Bobandy

Greenlighter
so the title is pretty self explanatory... I am an experienced iv user of opiates (mainly hydromorphone), but I have recently come into possession of some 10mg methylphenidate tablets. I want to iv one or 2 of them to see how the rush of iv methylphenidate is, but I have heard about the so-called Ritalin lung and I do NOT want this to happen to me... so I was wondering, what would the chance of this occurring be from a one-time iv use of this drug? I only have 6 tablets and I do not have regular access to them at all (they just kind of fell into my lap, so to say) so I don't expect to get carried away, and even if I do, I only have the 6 tabs so I wont get carried away for very long at all... if I even do.

so if anyone could tell me the chance of running into complications (besides the usual risks of iv use of any drug) like Ritalin-lung, it would be very helpful and would give me something to base my decision of whether or not to iv this particular drug.

my normal prep for iv'ing involves crushing and dissolving whatever tablets I plan to iv in water, heating until I get the slightest rolling bubble, then using a filter (the type provided with those steri-cup cooking cups that are provided at my local needle exchange) and using a brand new sterile needle, drawing up the solution into the syringe through the filter, and finding a vein and shooting away.

any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: after more research ive decided that it isn't worth the risk to try and iv this drug. I will probably plug it or just get rid of the pills to one of my friends, never really been one for stims anyways... and I also have decided that I will try to cut back and eventually stop iv'ing the opiates and anything else as well. the research ive done is telling me that (obviously) iv'ing pills is very stupid and not worth the risk and long-term negative effects.

Last edited:
yeah, the talc powder will kill you in the longterm, depending on the pharmaceutical, but a micronfilter is always ideal for injecting anything, and although I'm an IV user myself, I'd say quit like you've mentioned. IV drug use has nothing good coming out of it, unless it's IV therapy from an emergency or surgical room setting. It's hard to turn back after getting 100% bioavailability within a few seconds. Drug use has changed my view on drug use ever since I've touched the needle.

yeh I find that I think the hardest part of trying to quit shooting is walking away from that 100% bioavailability and walking away from that oh-so-sweet rush... man how I am fucking in love with that rush! 8mg of dilaudid is just so fucking heavenly, and right now im in a tough spot for quitting because I have a broken foot and somehow talked the doc into scripting me 2mg dillies... I thought I was being smart when I talked him into that but now I see it wasn't so smart after all, cause ive just been going all out all day with the shit and having it so readily and cheaply available with health insurance, that makes for a tough situation to quit under.

from all the info I gathered last night on iv use in general (idk why I never did this research before... guess I was just being a drug addicted idiot and decided that shooting up couldn't be so bad) ive decided that once my foot is healed and I am no longer given access to decent quantities of cheap dilaudid, I am going to quit the needles for sure, and may even quit the opiates for atleast long enough to where im not addicted anymore. I have a script for clonazepam so I am going to save them up for this quitting scheme.

again, I have no clue why it took me this long to do all the research on shooting up, and why it started with the thought of shooting up methylphenidate, but I am happy I finally did the research cause now I know the long term health risks, besides what everyones mother always said about needles (they'll kill you, blah blah blah...)

so the title is pretty self explanatory... I am an experienced iv user of opiates (mainly hydromorphone), but I have recently come into possession of some 10mg methylphenidate tablets. I want to iv one or 2 of them to see how the rush of iv methylphenidate is, but I have heard about the so-called Ritalin lung and I do NOT want this to happen to me... so I was wondering, what would the chance of this occurring be from a one-time iv use of this drug? I only have 6 tablets and I do not have regular access to them at all (they just kind of fell into my lap, so to say) so I don't expect to get carried away, and even if I do, I only have the 6 tabs so I wont get carried away for very long at all... if I even do.

so if anyone could tell me the chance of running into complications (besides the usual risks of iv use of any drug) like Ritalin-lung, it would be very helpful and would give me something to base my decision of whether or not to iv this particular drug.

my normal prep for iv'ing involves crushing and dissolving whatever tablets I plan to iv in water, heating until I get the slightest rolling bubble, then using a filter (the type provided with those steri-cup cooking cups that are provided at my local needle exchange) and using a brand new sterile needle, drawing up the solution into the syringe through the filter, and finding a vein and shooting away.

any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: after more research ive decided that it isn't worth the risk to try and iv this drug. I will probably plug it or just get rid of the pills to one of my friends, never really been one for stims anyways... and I also have decided that I will try to cut back and eventually stop iv'ing the opiates and anything else

What exactly is "ritalin lung"? I recently had a chest CT w/contrast that was quite scary.

Yeah, you should try to plug it. It is pretty good this way. In fact it was the only roa I could tolerate with that drug. Much less of the dirty peripheral effects that are so present with the other more common roas (oral, nasal).

if you wheel filter the talc out you should be OK

realistically the talc from ONE tablet will not kill you, but that cannot be guaranteed, it very well could if you are massively unlucky. And methylphenidate is not the kind of drug that lends itself to people IVing "just one" tablet. It's like cocaine, it's very compuslive and people redose frequently, doubly so when using it IV,

So my advice is to plug it or snort it instead