Career Advice One Piece of Advice I'd Give to Anyone (P.s I've only just started doing it at scale)

MicDown

Bluelight Crew
This is one piece of advice that will help anyone, whether you're looking for a job, trying to get into a college, trying to get customers or clients for your business, or trying to get a promotion. Anything around work, this will help you.

Build a social presence. Or go all out and build a personal brand. What's the difference? I've just made up these two different types as not everyone wants to start a personal brand, but here are the differences:

Build a social presence: Post on your LinkedIn (mainly), Facebook and any other social media platforms you already use with the GOAL of just sharing knowledge on a topic/job/career path you enjoy.

Build a personal brand: Go more in-depth on your target market and what you're good at and ensure you're on trend. Post as much content as possible. With the GOAL of building the biggest audience possible.

For the sake of everyone, let's go with building a social presence. Firstly get your basic social media profiles set up if you haven't already, and you're most likely going to want to focus on LinkedIn. Now identify the medium you like to create content in. Some people love being on camera and are good at it. It's the hottest thing right now right? You HAVE to make video content to build a social presence. That's incorrect. Look into all mediums, long-form writing, short-form writing, graphic design or photography, long-form video content, short-form video content, answering people's questions, having discussions, writing articles etc.

Once you have these two things nailed down, simply match your preferred medium, say, for example I like writing short-form content and discussions. So I build my online presence on Twitter. But how does this help you get a promotion? How does it help you get your dream job? Just keep putting out valuable content on the industry/job/career/school as much as you can. Engage in groups with other people who do this as well. If you want a promotion but you're posting content about something you actually like but is not related to your job, then that means you need to think about switching careers ASAP. Continue to build your online presence this way, and people will end up noticing.

When you apply for a job, highlight your Twitter handle at the top of your CV.

When you ask for a promotion, send a link to your YouTube channel to your boss.

Over time you will have a library of valuable content that shows:

1) You really enjoy and want to learn in this field (amazing for employers to see)
2) You know a lot about this industry or job role already and can already help others through social media (perfect for getting jobs, promotions and new business)

Keep building this up, and you'll never have to worry about getting a job again, getting clients for your business or, to be honest, if you do end up with a big audience, you're way less likely to get fired.

Consistency and valuable content are key.

I used to spend 1 hour after I woke up mindlessly scrolling through other people's content. Now I've discovered my medium. I now spend it answering questions on Quora or engaging in topics on Reddit and primarily engaging in groups on Facebook. I sometimes send out a few Tweets. Video isn't for me and I don't care if Reels are trending, if I don't enjoy it AND I'm not good at it there's no chance I would ever keep it up.

An even better way? Get your own website and host all your content there as well. That way, you never lose it.

This is great advice. I struggle to maintain real life social connections/networking due to high functioning autism, it takes an unusual amount of effort for me, but it's much easier online and in writing. My career needs a boost and has been stagnant for 3 years. I'm woefully underemployed.

I often have coworkers tell me I should start a youtube channel because I'm quite passionately knowledgeable in various things.

I once wanted to start a sort of combination blog/portfolio. Had the domain and website designed, but then abandoned it as addiction and depression got in the way. I should restart that!

This is great advice. I struggle to maintain real life social connections/networking due to high functioning autism, it takes an unusual amount of effort for me, but it's much easier online and in writing. My career needs a boost and has been stagnant for 3 years. I'm woefully underemployed.

I often have coworkers tell me I should start a youtube channel because I'm quite passionately knowledgeable in various things.

I once wanted to start a sort of combination blog/portfolio. Had the domain and website designed, but then abandoned it as addiction and depression got in the way. I should restart that!
Yeah video is just hard, especially to do consistently. I don't mind being on camera but don't enjoy it. Just take some steps into Reddit, Twitter and Quora. Google how to make your profile correctly for most effectiveness. Then get typing. It's what I've started doing. I do have a blog which is under a different brand, but things were just getting rolling with it and I took on this BL project so BL, my main business and a second one is really difficult to manage time wise and keep the girlfriend happy.

When you see the terms social presence and personal brand and stuff, don't think it's a technical boxed skill set that requires xyz social media or tech. These things are equally applicable to how you apply, interview, work, and network irl in your jobs and everything you do too.

There is no FB/IG/Twitter and LinkedIn set for maintaining your mid level manufacturing gig which you do not want to make any lateral moves, or any. Social presence and personal brand there are reflected in that guys attitude on the floor and in the office.

This is one piece of advice that will help anyone, whether you're looking for a job, trying to get into a college, trying to get customers or clients for your business, or trying to get a promotion. Anything around work, this will help you.

Build a social presence. Or go all out and build a personal brand. What's the difference? I've just made up these two different types as not everyone wants to start a personal brand, but here are the differences:

Build a social presence: Post on your LinkedIn (mainly), Facebook and any other social media platforms you already use with the GOAL of just sharing knowledge on a topic/job/career path you enjoy.

Build a personal brand: Go more in-depth on your target market and what you're good at and ensure you're on trend. Post as much content as possible. With the GOAL of building the biggest audience possible.

For the sake of everyone, let's go with building a social presence. Firstly get your basic social media profiles set up if you haven't already, and you're most likely going to want to focus on LinkedIn. Now identify the medium you like to create content in. Some people love being on camera and are good at it. It's the hottest thing right now right? You HAVE to make video content to build a social presence. That's incorrect. Look into all mediums, long-form writing, short-form writing, graphic design or photography, long-form video content, short-form video content, answering people's questions, having discussions, writing articles etc.

Once you have these two things nailed down, simply match your preferred medium, say, for example I like writing short-form content and discussions. So I build my online presence on Twitter. But how does this help you get a promotion? How does it help you get your dream job? Just keep putting out valuable content on the industry/job/career/school as much as you can. Engage in groups with other people who do this as well. If you want a promotion but you're posting content about something you actually like but is not related to your job, then that means you need to think about switching careers ASAP. Continue to build your online presence this way, and people will end up noticing.

1) You really enjoy and want to learn in this field (amazing for employers to see)
2) You know a lot about this industry or job role already and can already help others through social media (perfect for getting jobs, promotions and new business)

Keep building this up, and you'll never have to worry about getting a job again, getting clients for your business or, to be honest, if you do end up with a big audience, you're way less likely to get fired.

I used to spend 1 hour after I woke up mindlessly scrolling through other people's content. Now I've discovered my medium. I now spend it answering questions on Quora or engaging in topics on Reddit and primarily engaging in groups on Facebook. I sometimes send out a few Tweets. Video isn't for me and I don't care if Reels are trending, if I don't enjoy it AND I'm not good at it there's no chance I would ever keep it up.

An even better way? Get your own website and host all your content there as well. That way, you never lose it.
I have debilitating social anxiety and can't stand the way I look in pictures the only time I feel good about myself is after blowing 2 blues I am mentally ill this advice is only applicable to people that are already somewhat functional and have goals and dreams and don't hate life

I have debilitating social anxiety and can't stand the way I look in pictures the only time I feel good about myself is after blowing 2 blues I am mentally ill this advice is only applicable to people that are already somewhat functional and have goals and dreams and don't hate life

Thanks. Hang in there Buddy!

All of my friends are pressuring me to build a Linkedin. And it's time. I just am not relishing it. I have been putting it off for months. I surrender. I didn't win.

...but we're all in this together!

Once you have these two things nailed down, simply match your preferred medium, say, for example I like writing short-form content and discussions. So I build my online presence on Twitter. But how does this help you get a promotion? How does it help you get your dream job? Just keep putting out valuable content on the industry/job/career/school as much as you can. Engage in groups with other people who do this as well. If you want a promotion but you're posting content about something you actually like but is not related to your job, then that means you need to think about switching careers ASAP. Continue to build your online presence this way, and people will end up noticing. If you are college student, and you don`t have enough time, try this site, it can be very helpful for you. Their free paper examples saves me a lot of time.

Your post is much more helpful than many "successful success" books. In fact, this recommendation is not for everyone. But when applying for a serious position, your social networks will be of interest to the employer. After all, through these social networks, you can find a job. You are right in many respects.

Your post is much more helpful than many "successful success" books. In fact, this recommendation is not for everyone. But when applying for a serious position, your social networks will be of interest to the employer. After all, through these social networks, you can find a job. You are right in many respects.
Thanks