View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

One Governor's Horrifying Proposal to Treating Heroin Addicts

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch

One Governor's Horrifying Proposal to Treating Heroin Addicts Will Surprise You

Daniel Denvir | 11/9/15 said:
Confronting an opioid crisis that has already claimed hundreds of Massachusetts lives this year, Gov. Charlie Baker has proposed legislation that would allow doctors and other medical professionals to hold addicts against their will for three days. Critics warn that the measure lacks evidence to support it, would violate civil liberties, and could even scare users away from seeking needed medical attention.
“The governor’s proposal is so radical I don’t think there’s any research specific on it, because nothing like this has ever been done,” says Bill Piper, director of national affairs at the Drug Policy Alliance. “We do know that treatment is generally more effective when it’s voluntary. You can’t force people to quit using drugs. It just doesn’t work.”

Gov. Baker, whose office did not respond to interview requests, has said that the crisis demands bold solutions. The legislation [3], which was introduced on October 15, “makes important changes to the way that we deal with people who suffer the most severe forms of substance use disorder, those for whom other forms of treatment have failed and who may only be treated on a compulsory basis,” he wrote.

Civil commitment for addicts who pose a danger to themselves or others already exists in Massachusetts and other states. Currently, state law [4] allows for certain people, including family members, police officers and doctors, to petition a court to have an addict committed for as long as 90 days. As of mid-September, about 3,250 people had been committed this year, according to the Boston Globe [5].

But the governor’s proposal, which also includes other measures like increased oversight of prescription opioids, would mark a major shift. Instead of a doctor or family member being required to petition a court to have an addict committed, medical professionals would receive the power to unilaterally impose a three-day commitment. The burden would then be on the drug user to object to that initial three-day confinement in court. After that, family members or a doctor could petition for the commitment of as long as 90 days.

Civil commitment holds clear appeal for family members [6] of an addict whose life appears to be spinning out of control toward a possible fatal overdose. But do such commitments do any proven good?

The research on compulsory treatment is inconclusive and often methodologically weak, says Karen Urbanoski, a scientist at the Center for Addictions Research of British Columbia and an assistant professor public health at the University of Victoria. Urbanoski says that without evidence as to its effectiveness—and, if so, under what conditions —such drastic measures may not be justified.

“If it is simply a punishment, we are not on good ethical ground to be doing this,” says Urbanoski.

Dr. Sarah Wakeman, medical director for Massachusetts General Hospital’s Substance Use Disorder Initiative, agrees that the research is mixed, and that good studies are lacking. She also shares concerns about the lack of treatment beds, and the possibility of scaring users from seeking medical attention. But she says that holding someone for 72-hours will help “save lives” and allow for doctors to help develop a long-term treatment plan that is voluntary.

“The goal of this legislation is to allow physicians to treat patients with addiction the same way that we would treat anyone with a life threatening illness who is unable to take care of themselves,” says Wakeman, who served on the governor’s Opioid Working Group [7].

Whitney Taylor, political director of the Massachusetts ACLU, worries that it might “backfire and increase overdoses” if people are shunted out to the street with no support after being held for 72 hours.

“I appreciate the rhetoric changing, and that people are now talking about treatment instead of incarceration,” says Taylor, who has a long history working in needle exchanges. Civilly committing someone, after all, is a form of incarceration, and she worries that “we’re just kind of tweaking the drug war and dressing it up to look nice.”

There is a lack of consensus not only that civil commitment works but also over the state of existing research. Laura Schmidt, a professor of health policy in the School of Medicine at the University of California at San Francisco, says that “the literature suggests that people who are coerced into treatment do just as well as people who go voluntarily.”

But Schmidt says that expanding woefully insufficient treatment beds, increasing access to little-prescribed but very promising new medications, and putting the overdose-reversing drug naloxone into the hands of every heroin user are critical first steps.

“The number one issue from where I sit is the lack of available treatment slots and beds, and it’s a massive national problem,” says Schmidt. “We call it the treatment gap…what you will find is that we are able to serve 10-percent of the people.”

Civil commitment is a tough call. On the one hand, she says, forced treatment is no doubt better than jail, where addicts often end up. At the same time, it is hard to justify such drastic measures when so many basic measures to combat overdoses and addiction have not been accomplished.
http://www.alternet.org/drugs/surging-debate-make-heroin-addicts-go-clean

[3] http://www.mass.gov/governor/legisl...e-use-treatment-education-and-prevention.html
[4] http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/depar...ictions/drugs-and-alcohol/section-35-faq.html
[5] https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...IUUAj0kWIu1j4n-8Q&sig2=uDZDN89kuGqzbHEk_2SeIQ
[6] http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20140202/News/402020337
[7] http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/...ons-of-the-governors-opioid-working-group.pdf

Mass was pretty cool regarding addiction and public healthy policy when I lived there. To me this is especially sad. It's a major part of state policies rearing its ugly head, as I guess it does with somewhat regularity. Just glad it wasn't popular way back when...

This is the type of proposal that can be expected from someone who has absolutely no comprehension of how it feels to deal with an addiction to Heroin. And it's one of the most idiotic, counterproductive ideas in a long time. Please ignore this dork.

Haha, yes it is! It's like moving in the direction of Russia's nacro-science of addiction. Makes me sick.

Toothpaste are you Russian? I'm Russian ... My parents both grew up in Soviet Union and my dad thinks I just need to "stop" heroin and weed is equal to heroin to him yet he drinks... It's cause they grew up isolated in Soviet Russia with only alcohol (that was shitty alcohol) and no weed cause it's cold and heroin was rare everyone was poor can't afford it and taboo ... The police would take you to a jail like housing area with a beds and soak you in cold water and hold you for a week and force you to work ... That was rehab ...

Wonderful, if this passes I'll just add Massachusetts to my list of "States that are not worth even setting foot in"

I wish that politicians could be expected to have at least a little human empathy.
Fuck this guy. I hope his children all get addicted to strong drugs.

Helper, alas, no. Ukrainian/Polish. I have always found the whole narco-psuedo science stuff extra ordinary. It's like the idealized War on Drugs. Narcological registry and narcological institutes; dispensaries having to work with and report drug users to the police, hospitals having to report drug users to the police; getting arrested because you have any trace of any drug in you; having to register as narkoman, ugh! Fucking harsh man. I can barely imagine how difficult and oppressive it must been and still is for your folks and people back home.

I'm also happy I don't have to drink nasty bootleg spirits ;)

And on day four they are back on the street copping dope

And possibly overdosing...

This is mad...and yea mass would go on my list of states to not go back to..and I've been to just about every state in the continental US and had a nice time up north..

I could see ppl being held for 3 days all sick and shitty doing anything to get out, including using violence. Or is this just some way to get ppl into prison by subverting the normal route of drug use punishment?

So if you some how abscond I take it they would pit you in nail for defying a lawful order?? This is fucking insane. Because everyone knows you can make people stop using drugs, especially something as insidious as iv smack.

I know personally some of the straight up grimey sbit I've done to get a shot still makes me feel terrible so I can't imagine what I might do if confined to some shit hole ward of a hospital or detox ward.

I'd be making a shiv and taking the guard with the most kids hostage until they let me go.

See I'm not even in there and I'm already thinking crazy.

Civil commitment for addicts who pose a danger to themselves or others already exists in Massachusetts and other states. Currently, state law allows for certain people, including family members, police officers and doctors, to petition a court to have an addict committed for as long as 90 days. As of mid-September, about 3,250 people had been committed this year, according to the Boston Globe.

I didn't know that. That is sick.

It is called The Baker Act in florida, and I believe Marchment in New York. It was originally created to help family members of those affected with mental disorders that are in danger of hurting them, or hurting themselves have the power to put people into a 72h psychward hold so they can be stabilized on medication. Reevaluated after the 72hrs to decide to hold you, or let you go. It then began to become the goto for family members of heroin addicts.

This is just one step beyond that. I foresee a wave of overdoses if this passes.

The wave of overdoses is already happening. Its weird I have been to rehab 3 times. Out of those 3 trips six people are dead that I know of. Probably true of every rehab class at every rehab. Anyway my point is lots of people aged 20-30 are dying of opiate overdoses. These posh white suburb places don't even know wtf hit them at this point.

Yea a girl I was acquainted with just passed from an od a few weeks ago, really fucking sad. I've had close friends who came perilously close to dying but were able to get treated before it was too late. MD has been swamped in dope for decades...not just balti but on the shore, Annapolis, to as far west as Cumberland...its like if you look at 95n north as the spine, it all spreads out from there.

Even the nicest areas with huge houses and tons of money aren't immune. And MD does pretty well statewide in all of the positive aspects, but also really high in the bad ones too...now ten years ago when you could still buy oxycontins you could razor, I see the correlation, bc that's what eventually got me hooked. But it doesn't matter bc you ended up seeing opanas selling for INSANE amounts per pill and the 30mg oxy became super profitable..

It seems they have an opiate pill for every generation to abuse then pull or change the formula on.

Wonderful, if this passes I'll just add Massachusetts to my list of "States that are not worth even setting foot in"

Boston is actually pretty cool if you like US history and even moreso if you like to be confused about which red light/green light is yours while driving.

Helper, alas, no. Ukrainian/Polish. I have always found the whole narco-psuedo science stuff extra ordinary. It's like the idealized War on Drugs. Narcological registry and narcological institutes; dispensaries having to work with and report drug users to the police, hospitals having to report drug users to the police; getting arrested because you have any trace of any drug in you; having to register as narkoman, ugh! Fucking harsh man. I can barely imagine how difficult and oppressive it must been and still is for your folks and people back home.

I'm also happy I don't have to drink nasty bootleg spirits ;)

My dad and his parents were born in Belarus and my mom was born in Kazakstan her parents one Ukraine one Kazakstan so I just say Russian cause most Americans don't even know that Kazakstan is real they think it's just a joke from borat (by far the most mentioned reference to kaz From Americans) even though it's almost the size of America that's sad and bad geography lessons ... Forget knowing Belarus may as well be Indonesia or Madagascar they don't know where the hell it is or what the fuck it is. And lol yeah "narkaman suka blat pidetz!"

Haha, very true. Americans are over all a smart people, ask any American who their favorite football team is and you'll get a very intelligent answer :)

That's cool, my cousin spent a number of years in Kazakhstan after her Fulbright scholarship there ended. I visited her once when I was in Europe, figured I was close enough. Although I only spent a couple days in the capitol, it was a nice experience.

Boston is an awesome place! I've thought about it a bit now after moving back and forth a number of time, but I think drivers in Los Angeles are worse than the Boston metro area. Still, they are Massholes.

Lol yep I live in Los Angeles I avoid accidents fucked up on benzos opiates and weed and I'm the one avoiding the person crashing into me... Sad

Orlando is pretty bad. Lots of tourists not used to the roads....lots of really old people. Also it isn't illegal to talk on your cellphone and drive here. I was only in two accidents, both not my fault in pittsburgh...never in newyork driving in crazy snow all the time...but I came to florida and its like you take your life in your hands.

In florida the crack down on pill mills has pushed the price up on oxys and dillies. most people are going to the various dope holes on semoran blvd to cop dope. The number of arrests has skyrocketed so much that they don't prosecute for a heroin charge or parephanalia charge in orange county. Yeah you go to jail till you make bail, but if you have to stay in and wait for the judge it will get dismissed.

I don't get it why they don't apply the science to everyday's practice. We have real ways to curb tolerance down, reverse all that shit and alleviate PAWS, make the people comfortably motivated and productive again (as long as they want it, as always, but hey we never had so much real knowledge & choice as today). But no, we're going to make people experience hell on earth.