• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

One cannabis joint as bad as five cigarettes: study

Th3BigMac said:
ahem!!.. i was jokin like i said i was high and was just writin stuff down. i know plenty of people who also toke everyday
Yeah I didn't catch that you were joking either, I was about to say that of anyone I know who smokes with any regularity, smokes daily.

first off consider the filter issue. joints do not have filters so what is the ratio to unfiltered cigarettes?. Secondly most marijuana smokers do not smoke as much as cigarette smokers. I smoke a pack and a half a day, but never in my lif smoked that much mj in a day.....ok maybe once or twice......haha

burn out said:
lol nope. any higher and you start to get a disgusting mix of vapor and smoke which is impossible to inhale and makes you cough like crazy. still doesn't come close to the rush of a bong hit though.

it does make you cough a lot, but it can be done i wouldnt consider it "nasty" but hey to each their own

robatussin said:
first off consider the filter issue. joints do not have filters so what is the ratio to unfiltered cigarettes?. Secondly most marijuana smokers do not smoke as much as cigarette smokers. I smoke a pack and a half a day, but never in my lif smoked that much mj in a day.....ok maybe once or twice......haha
The filters, the differences in methods of smoke inhalation, and the differences in regularity of usage make these "X amount of pot = Y amount of tobacco" statements almost universally retarded. I've seen so many of these, and they're always biased by whoever put them out (okay, not always, but many times). I've seen so many that have claimed pot's easier on the lungs, and so many (like this one) claiming the opposite.

meh, I'm sure some of it is accurate, but if the overwhelming majority of these types of reports are extremely biased, who the hell wants to search for an accurate one? I just consider them about the same, only I smoke much many more cigarettes so, hell, even if pot is a little worse, it'd be irrelevant based on the ridiculous disparity of my consumption of the two.

Normal smoker, maybe a pack a day.

Normal pothead, maybe a gram a day.

The bottom line is that the average cig smoker will smoke much more plant matter in a given day than the average pot smoker. Unless there was some huuuuuge difference in harm between the two, who really cares.

Every cigarette is doing you real, scientifically proven damage.

Every joint is also doing you damage (at least of the respiratory variety)

I don't know a single smoker (of either tobacco or cannabis) who denies this.

So, either quit or carry on smoking. Balance the risks against the perceived benefits. But don't get into an unecessarily dramatic tiff about it, yeah?

On another note, is anyone aware of the original journal article's name? I found the contents page of the relevant issue of Thorax:

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/vol62/issue7/

But I can't see any article title dealing explicitly with cannabis OR tobacco smoking. Hmmm.

If we can isolate the article, we might be able to see how the authors of the study defined a 'joint'

An amazing and revolutionary proposal, isn't it?

Black Octagon MK 2 said:
So, either quit or carry on smoking. Balance the risks against the perceived benefits. But don't get into an unecessarily dramatic tiff about it, yeah?
If that's directed at me, I don't see how what I said is much different than what you yourself just said :\

9mmCensor said:
Stopped the lungs working properly eh? But hey tobacco isn't bad, people only get emphysema from it.

why so skeptical? its not about labelling cigarettes or weed which one is good or bad possibly. Smoking is bad for your lungs wether you smoke tobacco, weed or some other plant. The health effects of Cannabis need to be researched because so many people use it, dont take it personally.

I think if people find that smoking weed is harmful to the lungs, then you potheads should consider it. I know many people that abuse the Cannabis plant and they are clearly doing themselves damage. Like all drugs Cannabis needs to respected. If you abuse the drug and are irresponsible with it you will pay the price.

I think many cannabis smokers need to be reminded that they should be responsible in using this plant and try not to abuse it. I think people forget that it is a drug despite being a plant. Many people abuse this drug and I will not be sorry for them if this causes a negative impact.

It's just a dumb, biased article to make pot look worse. Next week we'll have another dumb, biased article saying how pot reverses tobacco damage or something.

You're burning plants and using your lungs as a filter. This is pretty basic shit, it's not good for your lungs :)

liltokerboy said:
Huzzah for bongs I must say, and vaporizers too!
:p Some people prefer to smoke straight plant, not just vaporize it!

And bongs, go ahead and make your case for them, but I seem to remember reading that they're not making it any easier for you (something about not really filtering the dangerous stuff, and giving you less cannabinoids from your pot than normal smoking would give).

You guys are missing the point here... it was a study done in NZ at one of their "universities."

Dont know bout you guys but i didnt even know they had primary school over there.

i wonder what those chemical levels are for other smoked substances- like opium for instance

yellodolphin said:
I think if people find that smoking weed is harmful to the lungs, then you potheads should consider it. I know many people that abuse the Cannabis plant and they are clearly doing themselves damage. Like all drugs Cannabis needs to respected. If you abuse the drug and are irresponsible with it you will pay the price.

I think many cannabis smokers need to be reminded that they should be responsible in using this plant and try not to abuse it. I think people forget that it is a drug despite being a plant. Many people abuse this drug and I will not be sorry for them if this causes a negative impact.

i prefer the term "herb" as it is a plant that comes from the earth that has medicinal properties. yeah there might be damage from heavy smoking but it is VERY minimal. i've smoked since i was 18 (28 now) and my lungs feel health as ever. i have no coughing or problems outta them as most cannabis smokers don't. hell, i'd like for you to show me someone who smokes pot and has problems with their lungs.

and btw, it's been shown cannabis helps people with asthma breath easier as it relaxes the lung muscles and allows more air to flow in. while i'm not saying it's totally health, it's a FAR cry from dangerous. so please stop with this "abusing" as it's hard to abuse cannabis(unless you smoke shcwag and that don't count ). :p hell too much water can be harmful but do people rant how some need to stop "abusing" it? 8)

squirrel_master said:
i prefer the term "herb" as it is a plant that comes from the earth that has medicinal properties. yeah there might be damage from heavy smoking but it is VERY minimal. i've smoked since i was 18 (28 now) and my lungs feel health as ever. i have no coughing or problems outta them as most cannabis smokers don't. hell, i'd like for you to show me someone who smokes pot and has problems with their lungs.

and btw, it's been shown cannabis helps people with asthma breath easier as it relaxes the lung muscles and allows more air to flow in. while i'm not saying it's totally health, it's a FAR cry from dangerous. so please stop with this "abusing" as it's hard to abuse cannabis(unless you smoke shcwag and that don't count ). :p hell too much water can be harmful but do people rant how some need to stop "abusing" it? 8)
You're downplaying the lung damage so badly it's not even funny. Calling the lung damage from heavy smoking "VERY minimal" is plain inaccurate. Nevermind the fact that you go on to support that based upon your having smoked 10 years and feel fine - that's piss poor reasoning.