• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ondansetron hcl question pleez help!!!!

WasteLand Warrior

Bluelighter
So my friend gave me the rest of there Ondansetron script, they said they sometimes prescribe it for people going thru alchohal withdrawals and was wondering if it will help with my heroin withdrawals?? I'm currently on day 4 of my kick i looked ondansetron up and saw its mainly used to stop vomiting im over the puking stage thank god but will it help with any mental or other withdrawal symptom?? or should i save them for when i have a stomach virus??? Just curious is there any GET FUCKED UP potential on these??? I AM A JUNKIE DON'T FORGET!!!! Also i'm taking .5 to 1 mg a day of sub just to stave off most the withdrawal symptom!!! will that matter with these?? Thanks blue light fam!!! Sending my luv and positive vibes out all you!!!!

No, it just helps with the puking. Gabapentin however helps a big deal with the mental aspects!

But I'm curious: Did you still puke when you were doing subs during withdrawal? If so, I guess your habit was pretty big, no offense :)

I've been taking ondansetron for 3 months now.

It's a heavy duty anti-nausea medication. They usually give it to cancer patients who are on intensive chemotherapy. It makes gravol look like chamomile tea.

It does nothing for withdrawals, unless you're puking a lot. Then it will just stop the puking.

thanks for the info and no i was'nt puking while taking sub im doing as little as possible cuz i want off of opiates!!! and i am taking hella B vitamins and naproxon and gabapentin and i feel great really!!! but i looked it up and saw they give it to alcohol dependence any reason y????

"ONDANSETRON (Zofran)

What it is: Ondansetron is used to treat the nausea and vomiting caused by certain chemotherapies. It has been found to stop cravings, decrease alcohol consumption and increase abstinence in people who are early-onset alcoholics.

How it works: Ondansetron appears to work by acting on serotonin, one of the brain's many neurotransmitters. An imbalance between two chemical messengers in the brain, serotonin and dopamine, is believed to create a craving for alcohol. Ondansetron blocks a serotonin receptor, which decreases alcohol-induced dopamine release, resulting in a decrease in alcoholic-drinking behavior.

Side effects: Diarrhea, headache, constipation, weakness, dizziness, tiredness.
For a more complete list of side effects visit this NIH page.

Availability: Physician prescription

Research: A total of 271 patients with diagnosed alcoholism received treatment with ondansetron (1 microg/kg, 4 microg/kg, or 16 microg/kg twice a day) or placebo for 11 weeks plus group cognitive behavioral therapy. Patients with early-onset alcoholism taking ondansetron had fewer drinks per day. Ondansetron, 4 microg/kg twice per day, was better than placebo in increasing the percentage of days abstinent per week. Results suggest that ondansetron (particularly the 4 microg/kg twice per day dosage) is an effective treatment for patients with early-onset alcoholism.
Johnson BA, Roache JD, Javors MA, et al. Ondansetron for reduction of drinking among biologically predisposed alcoholic patients: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 284(8):963-71, 2000."

Yes, it will help a lot! Every time I've gone through withdrawals I have taken Zofran and it is a godsend! Gets rid of pretty much all nausea I have while withdrawing. After the first few days it won't be necessary because nausea should be gone, but man do I love having it with me for the first part of withdrawals.

So i see it helps with cravings in alcohalics but what about heroin will it help my cravings??? Sorry if i keep asking im just confused cuz obviously i see it acts on your dopamine receptors and serotonin im just confused

So i see it helps with cravings in alcohalics but what about heroin will it help my cravings??? Sorry if i keep asking im just confused cuz obviously i see it acts on your dopamine receptors and serotonin im just confused
I personally didn't find it to help with cravings, but it certainly got rid of nausea.

it doesn't help with psychological cravings, but I think it does with physical ones to a degree, it's definitely a good med to have in your opiate withdrawal arsenal (along with clonodine, maybe some benzos, gabapentin and kratom). It's definitely worth taking if you're withdrawing bad.